Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Final Alex Verus novel is coming out soon, preview chapters on Jacka's website:

https://benedictjacka.co.uk/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Final Alex Verus novel is coming out soon, preview chapters on Jacka's website:

https://benedictjacka.co.uk/

Yay, one of the few series that will have an ending I will get to read.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Just got the Risen download on my Kindle (for some reason it is out today in Germany?).

For some reason though I cannot remember pretty much anything from Forged besides some minor plot points. Did nothing happen in the book or do I need to reread it before starting Risen?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That line in the second chapter of Risen about shooting richard twice got a wry chuckle.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Eezee posted:

Just got the Risen download on my Kindle (for some reason it is out today in Germany?).

For some reason though I cannot remember pretty much anything from Forged besides some minor plot points. Did nothing happen in the book or do I need to reread it before starting Risen?

Yeah, it just appeared for me via UK Amazon too.

For forged, check the link posted above. The writer has a summary post about forged which should help

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Yay, one of the few series that will have an ending I will get to read.

um . . . you ok dude?

Darkrenown posted:

For forged, check the link posted above. The writer has a summary post about forged which should help

aarg, cursed region locking

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Darkrenown posted:

Perfect, thank you. That was just enough information to make me remember where everyone stands at the end of Forged.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Speaking as someone who wasn't super happy with the developments in the last book or two I'm still on board to see where this roller coaster ends and how many more Babylon 5 references he can fit in.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I thought Risen was very good, a fine end to the series. I'm always a bit sad when a long-running series I enjoy ends though.

RISEN ENDING SPOILERS
On one hand I thought it was a bit disappointing that Richard's goals were finally revealed and it was just wanting more power because he's an evil guy who wants power, but on the other hand... yeah, not everything has to be super elaborate either.

I was quite sad when Alex seemed to be dying, a very well done scene IMO.

I'm surprised Alex got all Fate-weavered at the end, seems a bit odd to power him up and change his powers after the story ends, so I wonder if we might see him from other character's perspective in another series in the same world at some point?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Darkrenown posted:

I thought Risen was very good, a fine end to the series. I'm always a bit sad when a long-running series I enjoy ends though.

RISEN ENDING SPOILERS
On one hand I thought it was a bit disappointing that Richard's goals were finally revealed and it was just wanting more power because he's an evil guy who wants power, but on the other hand... yeah, not everything has to be super elaborate either.

I was quite sad when Alex seemed to be dying, a very well done scene IMO.

I'm surprised Alex got all Fate-weavered at the end, seems a bit odd to power him up and change his powers after the story ends, so I wonder if we might see him from other character's perspective in another series in the same world at some point?

Haven't read the book yet, but something similar to that last bit happened after Kate Griffith's Matthew Swift/Midnight Mayor four book series. Griffith did a (thus far) two book Magicals Anonymous series with Swift as a supporting character.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
All I want to know is does Anne finally die?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

I read that Anne crosses over into the Harry Dresden universe to make reading those books even worse for you.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Everyone posted:

I read that Anne crosses over into the Harry Dresden universe to make reading those books even worse for you.

That would be a step up in quality for the Dresden series at this point.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

No

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

gently caress.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The next series will be from Anne's POV. All Anne all the time. Now with even more whining.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Oh hey, I found artwork of what Jim Butcher wished Harry Dresden was like.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kchama posted:

Oh hey, I found artwork of what Jim Butcher wished Harry Dresden was like.

For all of Butcher's many flaws I don't think he actually pictures Dresden as anything less then a weird tall hoboman shoveling burger king into his face.

It just so happens that is also the #1 most appealing feature to every woman in the Dresdenverse.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ImpAtom posted:

For all of Butcher's many flaws I don't think he actually pictures Dresden as anything less then a weird tall hoboman shoveling burger king into his face.

It just so happens that is also the #1 most appealing feature to every woman in the Dresdenverse.

I would say in the circles he moves in Power is the aphrodisiac at work.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

I would agree if not for like Susan and Murphy. You don't have to be supernatural to want the Dresden

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Beachcomber posted:

That's been a running theme in the series. Not so much power as an aphrodisiac, but how power can corrupt a person or at least reveal who that person is at their core. I'm not sure Butcher was all that well equipped as an author to truly explore that theme with grace and nuance, but the theme is very much there.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I would agree if not for like Susan and Murphy. You don't have to be supernatural to want the Dresden

Uh…he’s super SUPER tall. NBA tall. That right there requires no supernatural weirdness. The weirdest, gooniest, most socially inept motherfucker I ever knew used to have girls drooling all over him. His secret? Be 6’7”.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ImpAtom posted:

Both of them had other motive to spend time with him for long enough to learn his unique charms.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
didn't dresden grow like 6 inches taller sometime in the last 10 years

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Up Circle posted:

didn't dresden grow like 6 inches taller sometime in the last 10 years

No? He was always like 6'7 from book 1. Butcher calls him NBA sized like twice per book.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
So whenever he's in the blue beetle he's basically this guy.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Sorry, the joke is that the guy there is also a tall idiotic goober, he just manages to make it look cool anyways.

His Divine Shadow posted:

So whenever he's in the blue beetle he's basically this guy.

This makes a lot of the scenes a lot funnier to picture.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Just finished Risen and I liked it for the most part. Decent end to the series and I have no desire for any more stories about Verus's friends or their colossal fuckups.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Zore posted:

No? He was always like 6'7 from book 1. Butcher calls him NBA sized like twice per book.

I was sure I remembered one of the recent ones putting him closer to 6'10" and lazy googling tells me peace talks says he is 6'9. It's not six inches but I never got the feeling he was that big in the first half of the series

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Up Circle posted:

I was sure I remembered one of the recent ones putting him closer to 6'10" and lazy googling tells me peace talks says he is 6'9. It's not six inches but I never got the feeling he was that big in the first half of the series

IIRC Dresden was 6' 9" in Storm Front. Him being an over-sized, mobile coat rack was always a thing. Another thing I recall was that in the SYFY TV series Dresden was ably played by Paul Blackthrone, who is himself a quarter inch shy of 6' 4" and rode around in a Jeep because he didn't want to cripple himself trying to get into and out of a Volkswagon Beetle.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Everyone posted:

IIRC Dresden was 6' 9" in Storm Front. Him being an over-sized, mobile coat rack was always a thing. Another thing I recall was that in the SYFY TV series Dresden was ably played by Paul Blackthrone, who is himself a quarter inch shy of 6' 4" and rode around in a Jeep because he didn't want to cripple himself trying to get into and out of a Volkswagon Beetle.

I liked the Jeep, hockey stick staff and drum stick wand, as well as Paul Blackthrorne and Terrence Mann as Bob.

The rest of it was a forgettable jumbled mess though.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Risen was a competent ending, hit all the beats it needed to and didn’t leave a bad taste in the mouth. Will be interesting to see if Benedict Jacka’s next series is good too or whether it was a one off.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Up Circle posted:

He's always been that tall, Jim Butcher is just poo poo at understanding height (not unusual, just look at how many people take Trump at face value when he says he's 6'3, or think that he must be tall enough that Barron is a giant when he looks to be about 6'3)

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

navyjack posted:

Uh…he’s super SUPER tall. NBA tall. That right there requires no supernatural weirdness. The weirdest, gooniest, most socially inept motherfucker I ever knew used to have girls drooling all over him. His secret? Be 6’7”.

This is true enough that the Reductress made an article about it. https://reductress.com/post/quiz-is-he-cute-or-is-he-just-tall-and-white/ Being tall really is all he needs to explain interest in him.

KellHound fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 8, 2021

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I finally got to borrow Library at Mount Char…from my library. It was really good. I have a question about a bit near the end: when Carolyn is talking to Adam Black in the Library, she notices something moving in the shadows. The book never explains what that is, as far as I could tell. What was it supposed to be?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Grundulum posted:

I finally got to borrow Library at Mount Char…from my library. It was really good. I have a question about a bit near the end: when Carolyn is talking to Adam Black in the Library, she notices something moving in the shadows. The book never explains what that is, as far as I could tell. What was it supposed to be?

It's been a really long time since I read the book, but I think that shadow and sound (don't forget there was a noise, too) may have part of the nature of the black folio--"Look away, see that over there? Go investigate!"--to prevent anybody that wasn't operating at god-level from attempting to read the book.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Well, finally read through Storm Front all the way to the end of Battle Ground, and drat that was a good series. The magic was good, the setting was good, the drama was good, and the way Butcher weaves everything together was pretty stellar. The firearm terminology needs some work but I really enjoyed everything else.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So I just finished Risen. I might honestly give the whole Verus series a reread soon.

I found it to be a satisfying enough ending, though it really felt like Jacka wasn't ever quite sure what to actually do with Richard. His villains in general were probably the weakest element of the series, sure they were scary enough but, Light or Dark Council, they all seemed to have no motivation beyond BWAH HA HA I AM EVIL. The 'good' people who eventually turned against Alex, Caldera in particular, because he did so much to protect Anne were much more interesting villains than his actual villains, I thought.

Might have more thoughts later.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I should read those Verus books.

Is it like Dresden and there's early installment weirdness or can you just dive in from book one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Deptfordx posted:

I should read those Verus books.

Is it like Dresden and there's early installment weirdness or can you just dive in from book one?

The first book is a little shaky but overall yeah just dive in book one. They're very fast paced and there are a few issues here and there but it's very clearly a series where the author read Dresden and thought "Dresden has some flaws and I know how to write a series that fixes them"