Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

gmail destroys the competition because it's search is amazing, and it makes it feel OK that you can just find an email from a laywer 3 years ago in a few moments for example.

gmail search is so, so much better - no doubt and I have no idea why MS can't figure search out. Everything else sucks. Trying to organize your inbox, or setting up rules, or dealing the schedules in and colanders in gmail is a special hell. Some of that stuff gets pretty dense on Outlook, but it's at least possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

I recently learned it’s named after anime. very disappointing and would give me pause to recommend it, i have a reputation to uphold.

https://twitter.com/bikinibabelover/status/109290514783809536?lang=en

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

echinopsis posted:

gmail destroys the competition because it's search is amazing, and it makes it feel OK that you can just find an email from a laywer 3 years ago in a few moments for example.

fastmail has good search too fwiw

just yesterday i needed to dig up months old permits for a new septic system (to put my posts in) while in the middle of a call and there they were

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
fastmail is epic ftw (for the win)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
as one of the yospos resident Suckers who pays for creative cloud, i have absolutely no issues with any adobe UIs. The products are so loving complex and feature-packed that I can't possibly envision any way to revamp the UI without gutting features or making it such a struggle to work fast that you just kill yourself instead

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

adobe even does the ui update thing mostly correctly, too: a default installation shows their new interface with the bigger buttons and a bunch of stuff hidden, but you can go to the window menu and reset it to "essentials classic" and the old interface comes back. decide what you want.

every application used for professional work should have the following features:

- tool palettes that can be docked and undocked, tabbed, and rearranged at will
- command bars with reorderable and reconfigurable buttons
- customizable menu for your commonly used tools accessible with a single keystroke
- interface size and color scheme adjustment (minimally ui icons and text)
- command line to access or search for every tool by name

the only program that does all of these perfectly is rhino.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
ui is hard and one of the reasons its hard is because everyone gets to have an opinion

like maybe 2% of your users have opinions about whether you should normalize your database, but 115% of them have opinions about the loving save icon

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Lightroom cc is kinda lame since it’s just classic with less features and an inflexible cloud storage requirement

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

- command line to access or search for every tool by name

yeah, I’ve always loved it when programs are essentially command driven and the icons are just shortcuts for commands. CAD style

blender is half like this. you can start a command like bevel and use keys and type in values, but if you commit but change your mind you have to ctrl z back to before the command rather than back into the command with the settings you had

blender isn’t perfect by any means but it is a UI that’s designed for expert users first, and all the best UIs are like this

good ctrl is amazing. back ctrl z is very bad. ctrl z SHOULD undo ANYTHING not just like image edits. undo moving the UI around etc

Jonny 290 posted:

I can't possibly envision any way to revamp the UI without gutting features or making it such a struggle to work fast that you just kill yourself instead

christian’s couldn’t imagine how the eye could evolve so they just said it was impossible and had to have come about from intelligent design

this is known as the FAYSIG (gently caress adobe your poo poo is garbage) principle

I manifest a better UI for the world even if I can’t imagine what it looks like

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you're bagging on adobe's UI and you pull out blender? god drat son S+++ tier troll

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

Lightroom cc is kinda lame since it’s just classic with less features and an inflexible cloud storage requirement

lightroom “classic” is essential software

and their new “profile” feature is extremely excellent because it can use 3D LUTs but it’s very difficult to find them on the internet, everything is a preset

for anyone that cares, a preset is just a preset of all the sliders in whatever place etc

a profile is a 3d LUT and what’s amazing about a 3d lut is what it lets happen. for example you have a raw file and as the light gets brighter what happens to it? just clip it? a 3d lut lets you define exactly what happens so you can take a raw file from a camera and transform so it’s acting as if you’re saturating film. as a paradigm it’s fundamentally superior to a preset and im really sad it’s very difficult to find them

it’s strictly not difficult to find 3d lut files but the procedure of making a profile is tedious and i wish there was an automated way :qq:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

you're bagging on adobe's UI and you pull out blender? god drat son S+++ tier troll

my just coz you can’t use something doesn’t mean it’s bad lol. i can’t use a complex radio but that doesn’t mean it’s got a bad interface

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

good ctrl is amazing. back ctrl z is very bad. ctrl z SHOULD undo ANYTHING not just like image edits. undo moving the UI around etc

even worse is when you have a ctrl-z that undoes several steps instead of just the most recent granular one you did, or an implementation that outright ignores certain actions.

like say in keyshot you'll import a texture, connect three nodes to it, and move five sliders. then you don't like the last slider adjustment, so you ctrl-z and it un-imports the texture and deletes everything because that's the last thing that was considered "undoable." ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

my just coz you can’t use something doesn’t mean it’s bad lol. i can’t use a complex radio but that doesn’t mean it’s got a bad interface

blender has like a famously bad interface dude dont defend it. this is not a personal attack

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

gimp and darktable are plenty for my image janitorial needs

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

blender has like a famously bad interface dude dont defend it. this is not a personal attack

blender had a famously bad interface until the huge update in version 2.8 and now it’s fine

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
it's still bad, but at least it's not completely unusable without knowing how to inject extra lines of python into it anymore

also yall who are like "omg can't believe i have to pay $75/month for photoshop" need to go grab the photography plan, it's lightroom and photoshop for :10bux: and is an absolute steal

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

blender's ui is still bad, but after 2.8 it's no worse than any other 3d modeling program, which all have bad weird interfaces full of archaic dumb decisions. at least now it is usable though.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

blender's ui is still bad, but after 2.8 it's no worse than any other 3d modeling program, which all have bad weird interfaces full of archaic dumb decisions. at least now it is usable though.

you may not like it but this is what peak ui looks like

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

fart simpson posted:

Nice Factorio screenshot bro

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

fart simpson posted:

this is a small business' server closet wiring job

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

carry on then posted:

this is a small business' server closet wiring job

not a chance, all of those links are actually in use

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

guys check this out: unPLOPular tech PLOPinons

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i’m a big fan of keyboard launcher type UIs like alfred. I love that you can just cmd+p in vscode and search up whatever you want to do rather than hunting for a button

MS can’t seem to do outlook search right or just steal this idea from vscode for all their apps. f u satya

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sagebrush posted:

even worse is when you have a ctrl-z that undoes several steps instead of just the most recent granular one you did, or an implementation that outright ignores certain actions.

like say in keyshot you'll import a texture, connect three nodes to it, and move five sliders. then you don't like the last slider adjustment, so you ctrl-z and it un-imports the texture and deletes everything because that's the last thing that was considered "undoable." ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

its especially great if, when you run into the mega-undo as you describe above, it then forgets it was ever done so you can't just hit redo. hope you didnt tap ctrl z one time too many

double points if saving the file flushes the undo buffer

i believe solidworks 2d is guilty of both of these. i avoid it whenever possible

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

idk how to break it to ya but that sounds like a popular opinion

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

it's still bad, but at least it's not completely unusable without knowing how to inject extra lines of python into it anymore

also yall who are like "omg can't believe i have to pay $75/month for photoshop" need to go grab the photography plan, it's lightroom and photoshop for :10bux: and is an absolute steal

you know what is also an absolute steal for adobe software?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

you know what is also an absolute steal for adobe software?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

fart simpson posted:

where did you get our company org chart??

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Everyone in china is a certified graphic designer

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Kazinsal posted:

This. Cinema4D’s interface is better, but not $100+/month better if your a hobbyist. Also before the pandemic Maxon locked their C4D training materials behind a paywall. Not only was it not free, it didn’t even come with the subscription.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

lmao try using blender, and then 3ds max

i once caught our lead vehicle artist playing with blender and he was like why the gently caress can't we use that :qq:

oops confused adobe and autodesk but still

Zlodo fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 8, 2021

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

iOS peaked at iOS 5

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
python is good

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

iOS peaked at iOS 5

agreed

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
Cybercrime is great for my job security, and one of the few incentives companies have to build better software.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

The Sweetling posted:

Cybercrime is great for my job security, and one of the few incentives companies have to build better software.

And I work on fraud prevention software so honestly I'm one of the few people actually making money off bitcoin

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i love to copy and paste code. repeating myself kicks rear end

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

i love to copy and paste code. repeating myself kicks rear end

sometimes copy/pasting code is fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU