Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

You can now play video games on a Tesla screen when the car is in motion
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/12/teslas-center-screen-games-can-now-be-played-while-the-car-is-moving

Some potential games for Tesla drivers:

Grand Crash Auto
Grim Turismo
Carnage Crush
Mortal CarBreak
Stupid Smash Bro's
MineCrash

God drat it, now I have to read another 2 pages ITT debating self-driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You can play video games while driving but have to be parked to stream a youtube video lol

Honestly if someone wants to be so reckless as to play a video game while driving they could always do that on their phone, so I don't see this making much difference, and apparently this was part of an update pushed 6 months ago

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Coincidentally, the FSD beta also includes activation of the cabin-facing camera and driver distraction alerts. So far the system has been extremely effective at yelling at me incessantly every time I pick my phone up. It’s really good.

Honestly, something like this should probably be applied across most cars.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MrYenko posted:

Coincidentally, the FSD beta also includes activation of the cabin-facing camera and driver distraction alerts. So far the system has been extremely effective at yelling at me incessantly every time I pick my phone up. It’s really good.

Yeah I trust the car companies not to ship the footage to my insurer after an accident, who will then deny my claim because I rubbed my eye ten minutes before the crash and clearly I was too tired to drive when that truck rear-ended me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

For something like a Polestar 2, would I actually need a charging device or could I just plug the car directly into a 14-50R outlet with the included cable?

And if plug/unplug cycles are an issue, could I just get an extra cable and leave it plugged into the outlet?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Failson posted:

I still desire the forbidden Honda e.

Hard same.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

For something like a Polestar 2, would I actually need a charging device or could I just plug the car directly into a 14-50R outlet with the included cable?

And if plug/unplug cycles are an issue, could I just get an extra cable and leave it plugged into the outlet?

idk about other cars but for about a month that's what I did with my Polestar 2: plugged the included cable directly into a 14-50 outlet in my garage and left it there. Leaving it plugged in is preferable. Buying a second cable and putting it in your trunk or frunk is fine if you are worried about needing one on the go.

You might consider investing in a big hook or something to loop the cable on

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MrYenko posted:

The EU has already passed regulations to making driver monitoring systems mandatory, which begin to take effect next year.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

hobbez posted:

Hahaha so the lady at my dealership said she estimates it’s a year and half waiting list for a prime. I would have considered anything under a year but that’s just too much to ask. The market may look entirely different in that time. I live in Colorado and supposedly the middle of the country is getting lower allocations in general then the coastal areas.

I’ll have to settle for the hybrid for now, it is what it is

Are you willing to fly and drive? It seems pretty regional. My local Toyota dealer always seems to have one or two on the lot right now.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

MrYenko posted:

The driver distraction alerts have been active for non-FSD users for a while now. If you look at your phone while the basic autopilot's on it'll alert you.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The driver distraction alerts have been active for non-FSD users for a while now. If you look at your phone while the basic autopilot's on it'll alert you.

I have no plans to ever use autopilot while driving. Is my car still going to yell at me when I glance down at something in the center console?

I'm fine with it bitching at me if I try to pretend like it allows me to play games on my phone but if I'm not using it will it leave me alone to hand my kid in the back seat a snack?

Antillie fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 8, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Antillie posted:

I have no plans to ever use autopilot while driving.

So... you're only going to use autopilot while not driving?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Hmpf. I never got one till after I got into the beta. I try to stay off my phone though, soooooooo.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

cruft posted:

So... you're only going to use autopilot while not driving?

Well played sir. Well played.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Antillie posted:

I have no plans to ever use autopilot while driving. Is my car still going to yell at me when I glance down at something in the center console?

I'm fine with it bitching at me if I try to pretend like it allows me to play games on my phone but if I'm not using it will it leave me alone to hand my kid in the back seat a snack?

No, it only complains if autopilot's on.

F-150 Lightning reservations are now closed, and order banks will open next month.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Antillie posted:

Is my car still going to yell at me when I glance down at something in the center console?

It’ll shoot you a text.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah I trust the car companies not to ship the footage to my insurer after an accident, who will then deny my claim because I rubbed my eye ten minutes before the crash and clearly I was too tired to drive when that truck rear-ended me.

what's the incentive for the OEM to do this? most OEMs have uh, somewhat adversarial relationships with insurance carriers

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what's the incentive for the OEM to do this? most OEMs have uh, somewhat adversarial relationships with insurance carriers

Because they’re monetizing a revenue stream and shareholder value is maximized, baby

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
If insurance carriers continue to be like insurance carriers, they won’t pay a dime for access to the existing cameras in vehicles. They’ll make some unholy add-on camera that connects to two 12V outlets, a USB-B port (with a USB-A adaptor the size of Saturn), and the OBD port (with a 6” cable). Then it will be so buggy that your car will only change gears about 60% of the time with it plugged in.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Sonic Dude posted:

If insurance carriers continue to be like insurance carriers, they won’t pay a dime for access to the existing cameras in vehicles. They’ll make some unholy add-on camera that connects to two 12V outlets, a USB-B port (with a USB-A adaptor the size of Saturn), and the OBD port (with a 6” cable). Then it will be so buggy that your car will only change gears about 60% of the time with it plugged in.

I dropped State Farm as soon as they pitched installing a telemetry monitoring system to my car. gently caress that.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Antillie posted:

Well played sir. Well played.

That's about the best dad joke I'm capable of, I hope everybody appreciated it.

Yesterday I discovered that the solid state disk storing the TeslaCam footage had finally corrupted the filesystem to the point that it was unmounting the disk after about 20 seconds, probably because it couldn't figure out what to do with the mess of a file allocation table. So I reformatted it with my phone and we're all good again.

I might bring the thing in and reformat as EXT4. I get why they used it, but FAT is a pretty bad choice for something that gets yanked out mid-write so frequently.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I dropped State Farm as soon as they pitched installing a telemetry monitoring system to my car. gently caress that.

I still have State Farm, but when I laughed at the agent for suggesting that “service,” he laughed too. Once they require it, I’m out (but by then everyone will require access to the data somehow).

Oh well, I have a Model Y without an ODB-2 port, so sure thing, I’ll tape their plastic garbage to the inside of a wheel well or wherever.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
My dad's been talking about getting an EV, but he seems kind of not sure where to start or how to decide. He told me he was considering the F150 Lightning, but then said he decided against it and will probably get a Nissan Leaf. I think I've seen comments in here that the Leaf isn't that great but I am not sure how to advise him since that's such a radical change in what he's looking for. I think he mostly just wants a car for nearby driving trips, not long distance but also not commuting. What do you say, goons?

Edit: He just told me that due to logistical issues he thinks he's limited to trickle charging because it would cost him $10k to install a 220v outlet for a EVSE. So his attraction to the Leaf is that he can get 11 miles/hour of charge using a trickle charger. He lives in Florida so I doubt there are any programs to ease the financial cost of installing a EVSE but it's more about the work that would need to be done on his condo to accommodate that being very expensive and he's not sure the condo association would even allow it.

So I guess the question is, if you were limited to trickle charging but wanted an EV, what's the best one to get?

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 8, 2021

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

GunnerJ posted:

My dad's been talking about getting an EV, but he seems kind of not sure where to start or how to decide. He told me he was considering the F150 Lightning, but then said he decided against it and will probably get a Nissan Leaf. I think I've seen comments in here that the Leaf isn't that great but I am not sure how to advise him since that's such a radical change in what he's looking for. I think he mostly just wants a car for nearby driving trips, not long distance but also not commuting. What do you say, goons?

It's a good thing he decided against the Lighting because

Nfcknblvbl posted:

F-150 Lightning reservations are now closed, and order banks will open next month.

The main reason why the Leaf receives so much flack is that it hasn't been updated much since 2012. It has no active battery conditioning so it cooks in the heat. Will your dad be able to keep the car in a garage at home?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

GunnerJ posted:

If he wants something cheap and low-range right now, preowned i3.

If he wants a good all-around car, Model 3 right now, or one of the Hyundais if he can get one (same thing goes for the new hybrids, plug in hybrids, etc)

If he wants a cool EV truck in 3 years, F150L

The LEAF was outclassed by the competition in like 2014.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The main reason why the Leaf receives so much flack is that it hasn't been updated much since 2012. It has no active battery conditioning so it cooks in the heat. Will your dad be able to keep the car in a garage at home?

He will be keeping it at a condo in Florida where he has a covered carport but not a garage. So heat seems like a real concern here.

Just added this to my first post: He just told me that due to logistical issues he thinks he's limited to trickle charging because it would cost him $10k to install a 220v outlet for a EVSE. So his attraction to the Leaf is that he can get 11 miles/hour of charge using a trickle charger. He lives in Florida so I doubt there are any programs to ease the financial cost of installing a EVSE but it's more about the work that would need to be done on his condo to accommodate that being very expensive and he's not sure the condo association would even allow it.

So I guess the question is, if you were limited to trickle charging but wanted an EV, what's the best one to get?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

GunnerJ posted:

He will be keeping it at a condo in Florida where he has a covered carport but not a garage. So heat seems like a real concern here.

It's not too bad as long as it's not constantly being cooked by direct sun light.

Edit: My vote is a Chevy Bolt once they get their battery fix recalls sorted out.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

Edit: He just told me that due to logistical issues he thinks he's limited to trickle charging because it would cost him $10k to install a 220v outlet for a EVSE. So his attraction to the Leaf is that he can get 11 miles/hour of charge using a trickle charger. He lives in Florida so I doubt there are any programs to ease the financial cost of installing a EVSE but it's more about the work that would need to be done on his condo to accommodate that being very expensive and he's not sure the condo association would even allow it.

Hi! I'm the guy constantly trashing on the LEAF! But I also love the car, so here I go with some advice.

There is no frickin' way you can add 11 miles per hour on any EV using an L1 charger at 120V (United States). My Tesla Model 3, which is more efficient than the LEAF, can get 3-4 miles per hour.

Well, maybe a Changli can add 11 miles per hour. I'm not sure. Has your dad looked at the Changli? Once you get past that it's weird, it might actually be a perfect car for a guy popping around town in Florida.

Anyway, you might be able to get a company to drop a charger in the garage and split the cost across the condo association. https://www.chargepoint.com/solutions/apartments/ Chargepoint even has a program for this. Chargepoint makes pretty good chargers. If your dad is up to it, it might be worth bringing this to the next meeting. My dad's doing this at his condo right now. Of course, his condo is full of retired scientists and engineers, so they're all horned up on new technology, your dad's group might be different.

Anyway, to answer the question, I think I'd seriously consider the Changli. Not joking. I've been pestering my dad about this for a year now. It'll get him to the grocery store, barber shop, our house, doctor's office, and the car rental agency for the times he wants to leave town.

cruft fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 8, 2021

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

cruft posted:

Hi! I'm the guy constantly trashing on the LEAF! But I also love the car, so here I go with some advice.

There is no frickin' way you can add 11 miles per hour on any EV using an L1 charger at 120V (United States). My Tesla Model 3, which is more efficient than the LEAF, can get 3-4 miles per hour.

Well, maybe a Changli can add 11 miles per hour. I'm not sure. Has your dad looked at the Changli? Once you get past that it's weird, it might actually be a perfect car for a guy popping around town in Florida.

Anyway, you might be able to get a company to drop a charger in the garage and split the cost across the condo association. https://www.chargepoint.com/solutions/apartments/ Chargepoint even has a program for this. Chargepoint makes pretty good chargers. If your dad is up to it, it might be worth bringing this to the next meeting. My dad's doing this at his condo right now. Of course, his condo is full of retired scientists and engineers, so they're all horned up on new technology, your dad's group might be different.

Anyway, to answer the question, I think I'd seriously consider the Changli. Not joking. I've been pestering my dad about this for a year now. It'll get him to the grocery store, barber shop, our house, doctor's office, and the car rental agency for the times he wants to leave town.

Oh, so he got horseshit info on the charge rate too! I'll let him know, thanks. That bit definitely seemed like nonsense to me but I couldn't be sure.

I've been on the phone with him and he's told me some wild poo poo about trying to by an EV in Florida. The local Kia dealer said the company doesn't let dealerships sell EVs in Florida because just having them available would lose them business there... I dunno if he's going to go for the Changli but I'll definitely pass this info along, thanks!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

No, it only complains if autopilot's on.

Apparently due to demand not everyone with a reservation will be "invited" to place an order for 22.

Which seems fine. At least an improvement over the Bronco system where everyone ordered and had to reorder for the next year when their vehicle wasn't built.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

GunnerJ posted:

The covered carport will seriously, seriously help down here. It rarely gets THAT hot in coastal Florida, it’s just the heat and humidity combining with the sun being about nine feet away in the summer that causes it to be unbearable. Keeping the sun off is huge for machinery down here. (Cars and airplanes specifically.)

If he’s inland, it can get quite a bit warmer in the summertime, but again, shelter from the sun is huge.

The Leaf isn’t a bad EV, it’s just good to recognize that it has more limited use-case than some others.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

MrYenko posted:

The Leaf isn’t a bad EV, it’s just good to recognize that it has more limited use-case than some others.

As far as the LEAF itself is concerned, what GunnerJ wrote makes it sound like your dad's just about the only use case I would recommend people consider the LEAF. It's not a bad car, it's just old. I think of it as the VW Beetle of the EV world. It's quirky, slow, and sort of crappy, but it's also endearing and easy to love, as long as you go into it with your eyes open. It's a weird thing to consider as an alternative to an F150, though.

The Kia dealer is full of crap. The Niro is arguably the strongest offering in their entire fleet. I mean it's beating out Tesla in reviews.

I mean, I guess maybe the Kia dealer knows Florida better than I do, but I'm generally inclined to not believe a word that comes out of a car salesman's mouth.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Ha, the fact that my dad would be at the mercy of car salesmen otherwise is a big reason I'm asking for advice because that seemed like a tall tale as well.

And I have no idea why he was looking at the Lightning... maybe he just saw a cool ad for it.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

cruft posted:

That's about the best dad joke I'm capable of, I hope everybody appreciated it.

Yesterday I discovered that the solid state disk storing the TeslaCam footage had finally corrupted the filesystem to the point that it was unmounting the disk after about 20 seconds, probably because it couldn't figure out what to do with the mess of a file allocation table. So I reformatted it with my phone and we're all good again.

I might bring the thing in and reformat as EXT4. I get why they used it, but FAT is a pretty bad choice for something that gets yanked out mid-write so frequently.

It supports EXT4 for external disks? Nice.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Zero One posted:

Apparently due to demand not everyone with a reservation will be "invited" to place an order for 22.

Which seems fine. At least an improvement over the Bronco system where everyone ordered and had to reorder for the next year when their vehicle wasn't built.

With what a fiasco the Bronco ordering became Ford is definitely hedging cautious now. It does lead to some oddness like the Maverick Hybrid ordering closing back second week of November before any of them even could ship from the factory (although that was due to its own emissions cert clusterfuck).

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

I've been on the phone with him and he's told me some wild poo poo about trying to by an EV in Florida. The local Kia dealer said the company doesn't let dealerships sell EVs in Florida because just having them available would lose them business there...

Curious if any other posters have opinions about this statement.

I'm predisposed to assume car salesmen are lying about everything. Often without even realizing they're lying. So it'd be good if someone less jaded provided a second opinion on whether this might in fact be true. Florida is a lot farther away from California than New Mexico (where I live), maybe people would boycott the dealership if they sold something that reduced our reliance on OPEC?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If you want a small city car with a liquid cooled battery there is the Mini.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

cruft posted:

Curious if any other posters have opinions about this statement.

I'm predisposed to assume car salesmen are lying about everything. Often without even realizing they're lying. So it'd be good if someone less jaded provided a second opinion on whether this might in fact be true. Florida is a lot farther away from California than New Mexico (where I live), maybe people would boycott the dealership if they sold something that reduced our reliance on OPEC?

There are tons of Teslas here in Orlando. I'm seeing more and more MachEs too.

Now Orlando isn't exactly a super red part of Florida but it's not super liberal either.

Salesman was probably just making assumptions based on their own beliefs.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Zero One posted:

Salesman was probably just making assumptions based on their own beliefs.

Bingo.

He doesn’t know anything about them, doesn’t want to sell them, etc. Either check another dealer or ask to speak to the sales manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I live in Georgia and I’ve never seen a Niro EV in person before. Kia’s just ignoring this area sadly.