Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Court journalists now falling over themselves on social media to praise Stratton for her noble sacrifice. A true exemplar of British values and dignity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Wonder how Rishi feels about his best bud's wife being the sacrificial lamb. Probably totally fine because these people are all sociopaths who give a poo poo about no one but themselves, but you never know.

Glad I got almost all my Christmas shopping done yesterday.

(Also, gently caress all you who chased Barry Foster out for "doomposting". If you can't be a pessimist about how the government has handled this pandemic after 21 months of this poo poo then when can you be?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Zalakwe posted:

They're right this time, even though it would seem to make little intuitive sense.

oh good it's this poo poo again

please provide another time where the LDs won a byelection having been in 3rd place in the previous GE

e:

forkboy84 posted:

(Also, gently caress all you who chased Barry Foster out for "doomposting". If you can't be a pessimist about how the government has handled this pandemic after 21 months of this poo poo then when can you be?

there's a very large difference between "the government has handed the pandemic badly" (variations of which many people have posted without issue) and "oh god omicron is going to kill us all we're doomed" which was essentially what Barry was posting

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

forkboy84 posted:

Probably totally fine because these people are all sociopaths who give a poo poo about no one but themselves, but you never know.

I think we do know sadly - not a bit of morality between the lot of them

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Boris Johnson nailed about 12 sitting MPs. This is really a great show of party unity

CON+25

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Julio Cruz posted:

oh good it's this poo poo again

please provide another time where the LDs won a byelection having been in 3rd place in the previous GE

We'll see what the result is soon enough, I reckon it will be close. General Elections are not the only time politics happens although it may feel that way.

Edit: Sadly (in terms of ousting Boris) if you were to put a gun to my head I would probably say blue hold. Close though. It will definitely be blue and yellow first and second though.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 8, 2021

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

forkboy84 posted:

I disagree with BF's overwhelmingly negative take on this but I agree that it's not right to chase them out of the thread. They're obviously genuinely anxious about everything and if posting is cathartic then what the hell, they should go for it.

Otoh, this thread has at certain points become page after page of people earnestly agreeing that we're all going to die choking on our entrails if we don't board up the windows and stock up on corned beef, and that nothing good will ever happen again. That's quite obviously an overreaction (though probably an understandable one given how exhausted and disoriented we all are) and in any case it's really doing no-one any favours.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ThomasPaine posted:

I disagree with BF's overwhelmingly negative take on this but I agree that it's not right to chase them out of the thread. They're obviously genuinely anxious about everything and if posting is cathartic then what the hell, they should go for it.

Otoh, this thread has at certain points become page after page of people earnestly agreeing that we're all going to die choking on our entrails if we don't board up the windows and stock up on corned beef, and that nothing good will ever happen again. That's quite obviously an overreaction (though probably an understandable one given how exhausted and disoriented we all are) and in any case it's really doing no-one any favours.

The answer to that is to have a conversation with them, not to chase them out of the thread because your anxiety is more important than theirs. Also this hyperbole helps no-one

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Boarding up all your windows and eating nothing but corned beef sounds like one way to die choking on the output of your entrails.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If it helps I am still not being sociable and do not plan to become sociable until I am dead. Also I haven't stopped wearing a mask all the time all year.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1468622623202545671

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
A gentle reminder, not directed specifically at Barry but at anyone who's feeling frightened and anxious from online discourse, that it's alright to log off, it's alright to do other stuff and to try and live as normal a life as possible while all this goes on. You can stop reading doomer threads for a while, quit following every frightening news story and uncertain development as they happen, and take a bit of a break. If you have less terminally online friends, try chatting with them instead of CSPAM. If the world ends you'll hear about it, please try look after yourselves in the meantime.

Easier said than done, no doubt, but it's worth giving it a try.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Tarnop posted:

The answer to that is to have a conversation with them, not to chase them out of the thread because your anxiety is more important than theirs. Also this hyperbole helps no-one

I agree, that's literally what I said. Post away, don't chase them out. But also don't dismiss those who suggest things might not be quite as bad as all that out of hand.

I just want to avoid getting into the same spot we were in a while back where the thread was just bleak and hopeless for weeks on end and frankly at its worst a miserable chore to bother reading.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Julio Cruz posted:

there's a very large difference between "the government has handed the pandemic badly" (variations of which many people have posted without issue) and "oh god omicron is going to kill us all we're doomed" which was essentially what Barry was posting

Hmmmm.

Barry Foster posted:

It's not looking good re: transmission and vaccine escape, at all

Basically this thing is going to be a tsunami, and we better hope by some miracle that the virus is much, much less severe than Delta

Yeah, OK, I suppose is hyperbolic. It isn't looking good but going from that to "is going to be a tsunami" is a sizeable leap.

Barry Foster posted:

Yup.

Seriously, y'all, invest in KN95 (FFP2) masks, get boosted ASAP, and change your behaviour, because this is probably going to be a nightmare

A little on the histrionic side perhaps but basically amounts to "take basic precautions". And honestly, not even sure that "this is probably going to be a nightmare" isn't fair comment, it's been a nightmare since the virus first got found in this country, has it not? I'm not particularly looking forward to the possibility of a 2nd Christmas without family for example. Of course a new variant that is at appears to be at least as infectious as Delta is a nightmare.

Barry Foster posted:

To the first - the "health experts" saying that are loving insane. A less lethal virus that spreads more quickly is going to kill far more people than a more lethal but less transmissible one. It would be social murder unless, by some miracle, omicron causes no fatalities whatsoever (and then there's the other, non-death outcomes to still worry about)

To the second - that's old and discredited science, there is no selection pressure on covid to become less lethal because it kills long after it's replicated and spread. It could happen by random chance, but there is no inevitable curve towards being less severe.

"Social murder" is an emotive accusation but has also been government policy for 11 & a half years now. I get that we've been dealing with this for a long time now but it's worth going back to read initial government statements on their COVID policy; they clearly decided there was an acceptable number of deaths in order to prevent capital from suffering fiscal losses, what with their transparently insane/wilful misunderstanding of herd immunity. As for the science, well, I'm not an epidemiologist & I probably wouldn't have used such unequivocal language, a less lethal version of the virus with high transmission rate does have an increased opportunity of mutating into something that could be more deadly or is more debilitating in the long-term or makes current vaccines less effective, whatever. But again, it's still not exactly "we're all going to die".

So yeah, Barry's pessimistic & a bit hyperbolic but it's kind of understandable considering, y'know, everything in the last 21 months. Certainly I don't really think he exaggerated as much as you arguing "oh god omicron is going to kill us all we're doomed" is what he was posting.

Pessimism is a rational reaction to the world we're currently in. Chasing folk off for being a bit over cautious is daft. Honestly, if you want doomposting about this poo poo I've not even started.

big scary monsters posted:

it's alright to log off

Fighting words, them are.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 8, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

big scary monsters posted:

it's alright to log off

WHAT

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Being a Covid doomer is totally justified based on the handling of the pandemic by the entire Western world. Especially if your government is the UK, and they have demonstrated a preference for a bodycount in the hundreds of thousands over maybe letting some airlines and Pret go bust.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

forkboy84 posted:

Fighting words, them are.

I meant everyone else. Not you two, you're on double shifts at the bad posts factory.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Everyone's made plans for Xmas by now; having them hosed up 'cos Boris needs a smokescreen for his latest scandal is honestly pretty annoying. I don't believe there's anything beyond that for this 'urgent' 6pm press conference.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Calling another full lockdown in a country with >80% vaccination and pretty much every vulnerable person having been offered a booster would, imho, be loving nuts overkill and would probably do more harm than good.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

Calling another full lockdown in a country with >80% vaccination and pretty much every vulnerable person having been offered a booster would, imho, be loving nuts overkill and would probably do more harm than good.
They've done some outrageous things before but trying to ban gatherings on today of all days would be hilarious

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

TACD posted:

They've done some outrageous things before but trying to ban gatherings on today of all days would be hilarious

Yeah, 100%. Plenty of people totally ignored the first lockdown anyway, if you call a second one after just being caught doing so yourself many more will pay no attention whatsoever, and that's without even taking into account how unwilling lots of folk are to sacrifice another Christmas with their friends and families/spend another winter alone indoors with no social contact that isn't over a computer.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Unless they have some insider info on Omicron that nobody else has, particularly with regards to serious illness in vaccinated people, there is literally no way they're going to do more than say "I dunno, work from home if you can?" and *maybe* reintroduce mask mandates on public transport, which everyone apart from BTP officers wanting an excuse to do a bit of light racism will ignore.

In fact even if they *did* have info that it's the very worst-case scenario and Omicron is as deadly to vaccinated people as to unvaccinated as well as being much more transmissable there's no way at all they'd cancel Christmas two years running. They'll rather set up massive funeral pyres like they did for Foot and Mouth on January 1st rather than take that hit.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah I honestly struggle to understand the outrage on this, as if Tories openly laughing in our faces hasn't been standard practice for over a decade.

I have been thinking about this for a while, and I think it's because it breaks kayfabe in such a way where there's no way to pretend it wasn't open contempt. Usually they can present a bare fig leaf of self defence and no matter how pathetic it is the press will go along with it to some level. And with Corbyn gone and him being replaced by a guy who's somewhere to the right of David Cameron they don't have to do the whole "The Prime Minister has been caught dodging taxes, should Corbyn resign over this? " routine.

People will go along with any old bollocks so long as you give them the bare minimum of cover for it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, 100%. Plenty of people totally ignored the first lockdown anyway, if you call a second one after just being caught doing so yourself many more will pay no attention whatsoever, and that's without even taking into account how unwilling lots of folk are to sacrifice another Christmas with their friends and families/spend another winter alone indoors with no social contact that isn't over a computer.
I can’t honestly say I’d pay much attention myself. What are they going to achieve with more restrictions? We all know they’ll completely squander any progress that gets made and the track and trace system has never progressed beyond a multi-billion pound grift.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Unless they have some insider info on Omicron that nobody else has, particularly with regards to serious illness in vaccinated people, there is literally no way they're going to do more than say "I dunno, work from home if you can?" and *maybe* reintroduce mask mandates on public transport, which everyone apart from BTP officers wanting an excuse to do a bit of light racism will ignore.

We already reintroduced mask mandates on public transport last week, it's just that nobody gives a poo poo about the pandemic anymore.

quote:

As for the science, well, I'm not an epidemiologist & I probably wouldn't have used such unequivocal language, a less lethal version of the virus with high transmission rate does have an increased opportunity of mutating into something that could be more deadly or is more debilitating in the long-term or makes current vaccines less effective, whatever.

re: higher transmission but lower lethality killing more people overall, It's not about opportunity for mutation though, it's about hospital capacity.

Using totally made up numbers just for demonstration purposes please don't get mad at them:

A virus with a 1% hospitalisation rate that infects 1 million people puts 10,000 people in hospital.
A virus with a 0.5% hospitalisation rate that infects 10 million people puts 50,000 people in hospital.

So unchecked spread of a "less lethal more transmissive" variant has a higher potential to crash our health service, affecting the death rate of both covid and non-covid conditions. That's why it's important to try and slow it's spread as much as practical until we have more real world data.

We just don't have firm data yet for the variant beyond "appears to be somewhat more transmissible, somewhat less lethal" 🎲

(I'm not calling for lockdowns btw, just don't think that good-poster Barry is necessarily doomposting and a little sad that people told him to stop posting)

blunt fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 8, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Zalakwe posted:

We'll see what the result is soon enough, I reckon it will be close. General Elections are not the only time politics happens although it may feel that way.

Edit: Sadly (in terms of ousting Boris) if you were to put a gun to my head I would probably say blue hold. Close though. It will definitely be blue and yellow first and second though.

I can see the Tory vote dropping off because of Paterson, but are they going to choose the LDs over Labour at a time when Labour are trying their loving hardest to be Tory-lite?

and if Labour voters are going to abandon Starmer because he doesn't loving stand for anything, they're not going to choose a LD party which has no policies whatsoever

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

So with all this Christmas talk, I could use some input.

My parents, bless their little hearts, are convinced that we need to have a massive family Christmas at their place in northern France, with myself, my wife, my brother, his wife and their two young kids (3 and 1).

My wife and I are already not keen on doing this- it’ll be a seven or eight hour drive each way, costing north of a grand to be able to get there. That’s before you add in that my brother is a lib-dem oval office who delights in winding me up and upsetting me until I lose my rag- he’s been doing it for 35 years and counting- and gets even more unpleasant when he drinks. He and his family are taking over the part of the property where we’d normally stay, meaning we’d be stuck in a spare room in my parent’s part, with no real place to retreat to.

And as of Thursday France now requires PCR tests before travel, plus the UK requires one on return. Adding another 4-500 plus to the cost, which we just can’t afford.

Add to that it just feels super irresponsible to travel basically the length of the country and to another at the moment- we’d be coming from Shropshire, my brother from Devon and my parents from London.

I don’t know why I’m putting this here other than to vent, but I’d appreciate someone telling me that I’m not being a dick by being unwilling to do all of this shite and spend all this money on a trip I don’t want to take and which feels just super irresponsible.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Gonzo McFee posted:

I have been thinking about this for a while, and I think it's because it breaks kayfabe in such a way where there's no way to pretend it wasn't open contempt. Usually they can present a bare fig leaf of self defence and no matter how pathetic it is the press will go along with it to some level. And with Corbyn gone and him being replaced by a guy who's somewhere to the right of David Cameron they don't have to do the whole "The Prime Minister has been caught dodging taxes, should Corbyn resign over this? " routine.

People will go along with any old bollocks so long as you give them the bare minimum of cover for it.

Had there not been the leaked video of the rehearsal, that line Allegra Stratton was practicing "it wasn't a party, it was cheese and wine" would have flown. We're conditioned to expect there to be a reasonable answer to our questions, to the extent that we don't even pay attention to what's said.
Seeing this video drives home the fact that the government knowingly bullshits us.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Camrath posted:

I don’t know why I’m putting this here other than to vent, but I’d appreciate someone telling me that I’m not being a dick by being unwilling to do all of this shite and spend all this money on a trip I don’t want to take and which feels just super irresponsible.

you aren't being a dick, gently caress that confected someone else's perfect holiday shite- it sounds like hell- be with your missus and have a blast at home

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Camrath posted:

So with all this Christmas talk, I could use some input.

My parents, bless their little hearts, are convinced that we need to have a massive family Christmas at their place in northern France, with myself, my wife, my brother, his wife and their two young kids (3 and 1).

My wife and I are already not keen on doing this- it’ll be a seven or eight hour drive each way, costing north of a grand to be able to get there. That’s before you add in that my brother is a lib-dem oval office who delights in winding me up and upsetting me until I lose my rag- he’s been doing it for 35 years and counting- and gets even more unpleasant when he drinks. He and his family are taking over the part of the property where we’d normally stay, meaning we’d be stuck in a spare room in my parent’s part, with no real place to retreat to.

And as of Thursday France now requires PCR tests before travel, plus the UK requires one on return. Adding another 4-500 plus to the cost, which we just can’t afford.

Add to that it just feels super irresponsible to travel basically the length of the country and to another at the moment- we’d be coming from Shropshire, my brother from Devon and my parents from London.

My partner and I are both lying about going to visit my parents in Ireland so we can just stay at home 40 minutes away and actually enjoy the day instead of going to visit her parents.

'Rona not existing my advice would still be stay put and don't put yourself through a poo poo time anyway

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
lol @ rules lawyering the commons statement 5 seconds before Johnson goes out and hogs the spotlight

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
he could walk up to the podium and promptly poo poo himself so hard it blows his trou off and there would still be two dozen palace courtiers proclaiming the magnificence of it all

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Having just had to do international travel. Currently on the last train home, Spain was lovely everyone wearing face masks all the time, even outside. All children wearing them too. Not a whiff of non compliance. I genuinely felt a lot safer than the immediate shower of cunts refusing to have the windows open and constantly, slowly eating chocolate bars so they can not wear masks.

That said. gently caress that noise for a family vacation. Doom saying or not. I had no choice but to get on a plane or lose a shitload of money. Doing that just to spend time with people I love and desperately want to see would be no go since I don't really want to accidentally kill them... Doing it for people who wind me up like you say Camrath? Hell no.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You should spend your time at home pouring fudge all over each other for fun. Sounds better than going to loving france in the middle of plague winter to see some shithouse relatives for christmas. There isn't enough dinner in the world to make me do that shite.

Crimbo allegedly is a holiday and despite me working retail and thus it actually being the opposite of a holiday I absolutely would not voluntarily spend the time loving traveling, christ alive you'd best be paying me if you want me to do that.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Camrath posted:

You're not being a dick, that's an outrageous amount of money and hassle even if you were guaranteed to have a good time out of it.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love my parents to bits (and my brother in very small doses- I’ve also barely seen my niece and met my nephew exactly once). But when they’re all together the family atmosphere is loving toxic. I find Christmas a strain at the best of times (last year’s lockdown one was one of the best I’ve had- log fire, cooked a big piece of meat and then passed the gently caress out in front of the telly with a whisky and a massive spliff. Heaven), and all this added stress on top just seems like it’s asking for a horrible time.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Similar with my family. Don't do it. Don't lie about it, just stay home!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
You definitely should not bother with Cursed Christmas, just chill out man

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Doccykins posted:

lol @ rules lawyering the commons statement 5 seconds before Johnson goes out and hogs the spotlight

What's this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Camrath posted:

That sounds unpleasant even without COVID. You've got plenty of valid pandemic-related excuses to not go, don't feel ashamed to use them IMO.

I'm supposed to be going overseas for Christmas to somewhere without all the family drama and I'm still feeling increasingly uneasy about it because of COVID, absolutely gently caress doing it and having to spend the holidays miserable.