Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

HopperUK posted:

Does anyone here play Wayward? It seems neat to me but I got absolutely murdered by some evil worm thing that came and got me before I finished my first day. It's exactly the kind of thing I feel like playing right now, just detailed enough in terms of survival mechanics. Does it stay decent? How do I not get eaten by random worm? Did I do something to spawn it? And if it *doesn't* stay decent, what else is there? Should I just go back to trying Unreal World instead?

Cheers chums

I'd like to hear more about Wayward in general, both from anyone else who's played it but also your first time impressions, cause that's one game that I have repeatedly hovered on the line of buying, but have never been confident enough to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

I'd like to hear more about Wayward in general, both from anyone else who's played it but also your first time impressions, cause that's one game that I have repeatedly hovered on the line of buying, but have never been confident enough to get.

Yeah same.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I can only give the impressions of someone who played for literally one hour and hasn't yet gone back to it. The control system is a bit fiddly - nothing really striking for people who like roguelike games for example, but a bit less friendly than most mainstream stuff. Like, it's important to set things up so you're only attacking with the hand that is holding your weapon, and not both hands. The graphics are very nice, pixel stuff, very functional. The crafting seems really quite in-depth and there's an onboarding tutorial that walks you through things like 'find water, make a solar still, make a bedroll'.

The 'malignity' system or whatever they call it is interesting. Basically the island you're on 'likes' certain things you do - farming, for example - and 'dislikes' other destructive things, like killing creatures or chopping down trees. So the idea is that you try to find a balance, because if the island starts to hate you, it starts to spawn monsters at you.

I like it and I'm going to go back to it, I think.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I confess part of why I have an immediate negative reaction to Icarus is the aesthetic. The graphics are pretty and textures are high res but the overall visual design is just so bland and hollow, it feels like every storebought asset flip survival game just for how bizarre and lifeless the structures and objects all look. That's something you can't fix by cranking up the graphics setting. It's like an ultrahigh resolution minecraft texture pack.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Man I saw all these posts and I thought Zomboid MP dropped. :lol:
Is there any date on that yet or what? I heard the beta branch lets you play local/remote play MP, but making players use a gamepad for PZ on a fake splitscreen is not my idea of a good time.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

HopperUK posted:

Does anyone here play Wayward? It seems neat to me but I got absolutely murdered by some evil worm thing that came and got me before I finished my first day. It's exactly the kind of thing I feel like playing right now, just detailed enough in terms of survival mechanics. Does it stay decent? How do I not get eaten by random worm? Did I do something to spawn it? And if it *doesn't* stay decent, what else is there? Should I just go back to trying Unreal World instead?

Cheers chums

Wayward is very much designed around incremental progression between characters as achieving various milestones gives perks to new characters while recipes, once learned, stay learned forever across lives. The types of creatures that spawn is based entirely on how you interact with enviroment, what you craft, and what you build. Growing crops and restoring nature brings you into positive reputation which spawns more peaceful creatures while destruction of nature and progression lowers the reputation and spawns bigger and badder baddies. Truly surviving for more than a week will take a few attempts, at least, while sustaining is rough until you work out the right recipes and where to acquire/use the resources.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Is it fun, though?
E: I know that's a glib question but I mean, are the mechanics actually engaging? Does surviving feel rewarding? Is there meaningful customization or means of approach, or does each playthrough go about the same way?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

Is it fun, though?
E: I know that's a glib question but I mean, are the mechanics actually engaging? Does surviving feel rewarding? Is there meaningful customization or means of approach, or does each playthrough go about the same way?

I enjoy wayward a lot and always find myself getting sucked into a "one more turn" kind of mentality because it does an excellent job of setting up a series of small but rewarding short term goals, and it may seem grindy at first but subsequent runs with foreknowledge will be much faster. My only complaint (and I haven't played in over a year so this may be out of date) is that the late game monsters were extremely difficult and for some reason making heavy armor made you weak to certain damage types? IIRC you could build a whole set of iron armor which takes forever and you were then *more* vulnerable to blunt damage than if you were naked, but sharp damage was reduced. It wasn't great. But overall the experience was good.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Is a single long run enjoyable? Say after you're however many deaths in, you get a survivor who lasts for weeks or months. Is there enough content, enough to do, for that to feel worthwhile? Small, short goals over multiple short-lived survivors seems like it would be easier to balance for, but I'm wondering if a long-lived survivor would still have stuff to do and feel as fun. Cataclysm had a problem like this, where once someone survived long enough it got really boring, but everything up to that point, the uphill struggle, was pretty fun. Just wondering how longevity is accounted for.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Bought vintage story on a whim. Goodness does it not hold your hand at all, already died several times and had to restart my world twice lol.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I think that cements Wayward as a pass for me. Doesn't sound like my kinda thing compared to URW. Good to be able to say for sure.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I think the difference is doing something mindless and repetitive to get to the point to unlock something or let you do whatever it is you want to do, versus doing something similar but to work towards something gratifying, not just to get something out of the way. The first one gives a sense of relief when it is over, and the second gives a feeling of accomplishment. I'm not defending either as the pinnacle of game play by any means, but I think I can see the separation you are getting at.

When it really feels like a grind is when there is either no other option, or it becomes apparent that such monotony is the most efficient way to achieve whatever the goal is, which can be even worse, as it typically means that something more engaging or entertaining is being pushed to the side, whether it is actually in the game or not.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

redreader posted:

pro's:
-the most beautiful survival game. Looks fantastic.

Everything else I was like, sure, but also this is the one thing I can tell myself from watching even a short video of it and this seems like crazy talk. The aesthetic is... passable, sure, but doesn't seem to really work well with the premise of the game, and its super bland and generic. Sure the bar for survival games is low since so few of them even think about aesthetics, but you if you really think it looks better than Valheim or Green Hell or even Sons of the Forest... man, I don't know if I can trust your judgement, and those games are all directly comparable by being set primarily in a normal earth forest!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vib Rib posted:

Is there any date on that yet or what? I heard the beta branch lets you play local/remote play MP, but making players use a gamepad for PZ on a fake splitscreen is not my idea of a good time.
Not that I've seen, I did see some footage from AtomicDuck, so I think it's close, but they don't have a date yet.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Not that I've seen, I did see some footage from AtomicDuck, so I think it's close, but they don't have a date yet.

They said before Russian winter holidays or after, and it's coming with their Louisville map addition.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

GlyphGryph posted:

Everything else I was like, sure, but also this is the one thing I can tell myself from watching even a short video of it and this seems like crazy talk. The aesthetic is... passable, sure, but doesn't seem to really work well with the premise of the game, and its super bland and generic. Sure the bar for survival games is low since so few of them even think about aesthetics, but you if you really think it looks better than Valheim or Green Hell or even Sons of the Forest... man, I don't know if I can trust your judgement, and those games are all directly comparable by being set primarily in a normal earth forest!

Yeah Valheim looks pretty good. This looks more realistic. I'm not any kind of artist though! I haven't played green hell or sons of the forest and am thinking mostly of 7 days to die when comparing graphics.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

My ideal survival game combines the building and resource gathering of Rust, with the tech tree and progression from Ark and some sort of goal driven and motivating PVE content that lets me keep playing without getting slaughtered by people who are much better at the game than me and are hardcore PVPers.
Since I don't like dinosaurs, Icarus seems to scratch that itch almost 1:1.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Icarus' graphics are fine really, but they are certainly not as good as they should be given the lack of performance. Also the weird shadow poo poo. I have issues with darkness even with RTX and GI on.

But an EA "release" that doesn't run well, who would have thunk...

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HelloSailorSign posted:

They said before Russian winter holidays or after, and it's coming with their Louisville map addition.

Ah great to read. I wasn’t sure if the holiday thing was PZ or 7 days to die (thanksgiving in that case).

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Protocol7 posted:

Icarus' graphics are fine really, but they are certainly not as good as they should be given the lack of performance. Also the weird shadow poo poo. I have issues with darkness even with RTX and GI on.

But an EA "release" that doesn't run well, who would have thunk...
I watched a friend play and the whole world was covered in shifting pixelated shadows. Trees looked like TV static. It was a waking nightmare.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Vib Rib posted:

I watched a friend play and the whole world was covered in shifting pixelated shadows. Trees looked like TV static. It was a waking nightmare.

That is a bug I have seen on my wife's 2080 Ti equipped PC, but not one I have seen on my own 3070. But there's still no excuse for a game that's supposedly a full release to have a completely hosed shadow rendering system.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Kraftwerk posted:

My ideal survival game combines the building and resource gathering of Rust, with the tech tree and progression from Ark and some sort of goal driven and motivating PVE content that lets me keep playing without getting slaughtered by people who are much better at the game than me and are hardcore PVPers.
Since I don't like dinosaurs, Icarus seems to scratch that itch almost 1:1.

you really should check out 7 Days to Die unless you are completely put off by zombie stuff because it beats the pants off everything in the PVE content department. It has a huge library of really good hand designed Points of Interest (mini-dungeons) that can be cleared in a variety of ways, e.g. with sneaky silenced weapons or Rambo style machine guns blazing or throwing grenades or even just digging through walls. the building part also just got a massive overhaul and expansion that released yesterday.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597545

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Oh poo poo, didn't know the new update was out yet.
Is there a quick rundown of all the new stuff?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

release notes:
https://7daystodie.com/a20-official-release-notes/

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
note that the beta for the new update is out but i think the actual release for the new update is still a couple weeks out and they don't consider it to be stable right now? I'm not sure. More stable than icarus sounds like it is despite that lol

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GlyphGryph posted:

note that the beta for the new update is out but i think the actual release for the new update is still a couple weeks out and they don't consider it to be stable right now? I'm not sure. More stable than icarus sounds like it is despite that lol

Yeah, it’s still wonky. When I loaded in last night the zombies didn’t actually move. I will say they added a resource finder when doing the tutorial, so you know where to look for stuff without having to dive into the wiki. It is a really good feature and more games should do it or offer it as an option.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Does 7 Days to Die support paid servers? No one is playing my Valhiem server anymore and it's time to stop it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

pretty sure yes, feel free to ask in the 7 Days thread

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
The Long Dark has a survival mode update out, new region and a couple of items. Don't think much of the items tbh.
Most interestingly though, Hinterland are developing mod support and what sounds like future DLC packages. Super excited about what that could lead to, TLD is amazing but just needs a bit more depth and variety in terms of activities, elements and items, IMO.

Deketh fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 7, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Deketh posted:

The Long Dark has a survival mode update out, new region and a couple of items. Don't think much of the items tbh.
Most interestingly though, Hinterland are developing mod support and what sounds like future DLC packages. Super excited about what that could lead to, TLD is amazing but just needs a bit more depth and variety in terms of activities, elements and items, IMO.

Oh wow yeah I'd love to see what modders can do with it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Id like to hope on 7 days to die server, let us know if you do start one either here or in the other thread

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ognar maintains one, look at the last page or two of the 7Days thread

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Thats someone else, i'm on single player atm.
And its a little buggy. But still worth playing.

Started making a base and then I realized it was pointless since any update is liable to just collapse the ceiling like I have had happen before.
Also having a hard time finding Nitrate to make a roof farm.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it took me a long time to realize but mineable resource nodes actually show up on the map (nitrate is a very light gray iirc)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Powderkeg hosts 7dtd on his server. Check the thread for his posts.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
For those who enjoyed Conan Exiles, is singleplayer worth it? Is it still fun? Manageable? If so, any recommended settings for sp (like XP gain rate multiplier, stuff like that)? Is there a mod or setting that bypasses the limited points you can spend to learn recipes, since those tend to assume you're playing in a group or clan?

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Vib Rib posted:

For those who enjoyed Conan Exiles, is singleplayer worth it? Is it still fun? Manageable? If so, any recommended settings for sp (like XP gain rate multiplier, stuff like that)? Is there a mod or setting that bypasses the limited points you can spend to learn recipes, since those tend to assume you're playing in a group or clan?

Conan actually has an amazing cheat system built into the game by default as an admin panel, no mod needed for unlock points or a wild host of other tweakables. Solo I've found it a bit difficult, luckily you can change a very large range of gameplay modifiers on the fly as sliders in the options menu to tweak it to your liking.

Warrior Princess fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 8, 2021

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

I've only played it single player but did enjoy it a lot. I treated it as a 30-60 hour experience rather than the endless game that the server play focuses on.

The few settings you really need to change is thrall breaking time and animal growth time, and crafting time. Those timers are tuned to dedicated servers - a 25 hour timer to break a thrall might be ok if it just means waiting IRL one day, but 25 hours in game is a huge chunk of time. I think you will be fine by just adjusting the other settings on the fly if you think you are spending too long grinding resources or levelling.

I played my first game mostly vanilla and it was worth it. But some of the mods I used for second playthrough and would recommend considering are:
Pickup + (cheaty, lets you pickup thralls and buildings once they are placed)
Paragon Leveling (cheaty, lets you keep earning levels after max level)
Swift Elevator (QoL, vanilla elevators are really slow)
Fashionist (visual, gives you "Stat Slots" and "Appearance Slots" for equipment)
Tier 4 Followers Medium Increased Spawn (cheaty. Thralls are very RNG dependent and this makes them much less painful to grind)
Better Thralls (cheaty, allows you to have both a horse and a sidekick instead of having to choose)
LitMan Container Size (QoL/Cheaty, makes inventory management far less of a pain)

The admin panel is also very useful for cheats.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

esquilax posted:

I played my first game mostly vanilla and it was worth it. But some of the mods I used for second playthrough and would recommend considering are:

To expand on this, I use the mod that gives most resources zero weight, because I'm playing single player and cba travelling halfway across the map to get a pocket full of [stuff] only to have to travel back again because I ran out of carry weight.
Also, a Pet Overhaul because if I've spent hours levelling a tiger it would be nice if it was just as useful as a T4 fighter. Cimmerian Berserkers are, after all, easier to find than a loving tiger cub. Also, Greater Bears are goddamn loving tanks with that mod, which is just hilarious

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Anyone got some good starting tips for vintage story? I keep discovering so much stuff that wasn't mentioned in the starter guides that would have been amazing to know like hours ago, like the existence of panning and all the cool stuff it can bring lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Umbreon posted:

Anyone got some good starting tips for vintage story? I keep discovering so much stuff that wasn't mentioned in the starter guides that would have been amazing to know like hours ago, like the existence of panning and all the cool stuff it can bring lol

Tbh I just watched a let’s play of it which helped a lot.

It was also a really chill way to relax lol