Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

cool so America has hit the projection way ahead of schedule?

or is this before Omicron has even piled on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

zero because the data is from serum in-vitro tests from donated blood not population level data, so the behavior of the person doesn't matter.

Israel is once again the place to watch since they have such a high booster uptake throughout the general population. they also have significant pockets of unvaccinated folks too so they will probably have good data first on the relative severity.

interestingly while the number of omicron cases in the UK is essentially going vertical, cases in Israel are staying pretty low and the latest news I can find says the majority of them are directly linked to travel. the first case in Israel was able to quarantine at home with his family without infecting them, and as far as officials can tell only managed to infect a colleague who took a multi-hour car ride with him.

I thought this was fairly typical of covid, where like 20% of people are responsible for 80% of infections or something.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
my son to my knowledge is the only child in his class of 24 kids to have gotten his vaxx, so there’s that.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Durf posted:

so far it seems like the best estimate is about 1% of cases omicron in the US right now

doubling every 3 days

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

silicone thrills posted:

Thanks! vastly expanded through some PMs and this tweet so far

Just a heads up, looks like somebody put Balloux on the list. He's one of the absolute worst - he's a Long COVID minimizer / denier and speaks very positively about natural immunity, despite having Long COVID / getting reinfected himself lol.

Why Am I So Tired fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 8, 2021

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Cloks posted:

how else do you suggest event managers make money? very rude of you to suggest number is not as important as one million americans.

conventions dont really profit anyone except hotels and the artists and vendors who go. the real reason people are going to events are people being "done" with roni and they've earned their treats, thinking its over because biden won, im 100% safe because i got two shots, people on twitter say its mild, etc.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

EVERYTHING IS SO STUPID

WHY ARE WE HAVING EVENTS IN A loving PANDEMIC???

COVID

IS

O V E R

lmao

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

silicone thrills posted:

Im working on a list of actual non grifters to follow on twitter for covid19 info - only immunologists, virologists, public health, epidemiologists and anyone who has specialized knowledge about how covid might effect other parts of the body like nephrologists and poo poo.

anyway

here you go - not sure if other people can add to the list but if you think of anyone for me to add let me know

https://twitter.com/i/lists/1468644940037033986

good list

adds:
Deepti Gurdasani @dgurdasani1 long coivd in the UK

Elizabeth Jacobs @theangryepi Arizona and primary school focused

Nisreen Alwan @dr2nisreenalwan UK children and long covid

Esther Choo @choo_ek more moderate than others I've added, but a good voice in the mix

I'd remove zeynep. her specialized knowledge has little direct overlap with covid and the majority of her published writing on covid is I think, most charitably, misguided

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1468620846172454915

quote:

The one thing I think is more important than anything is that people need to get vaccinated, and when they have the opportunity to get boosters, they need to get their boosters. The world is dominated by Delta. And so we need to see what happens with Omicron, right? I mean, we now know that Omicron is in many different parts of the world. But does it take over? Will it take over Delta? It’s a very difficult question to say today what we may do, you know, in a couple of months from now.

If you ask my gut feeling, I don’t have one right now. Because I’m also concerned that to just jump to a conclusion without evidence — we may build a vaccine and then what do we know about the next variant that is coming? Right? We cannot predict what’s next after Omicron. So we may build something Omicron-specific and then the next variant of concern is coming along and then we start all over again. So that’s why I’m hesitating. You know, now we get ready. We look at the evidence. I think we are in a position to address it. But I do not have a good sense right now if we want to, need to, should have to. You have to give us a little bit more time.

Pfizer is literally going to wait two months to see if Omicron overtakes Delta before starting manufacturing on an Omicron vaccine

We are so hosed

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
and speaking of, others are finally starting to realize the gap in testing created by at home tests

https://twitter.com/choo_ek/status/1468660537319833601?t=J90gpX-1HDF78wOsVL1AJg&s=19

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1468663357498699776

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Durf posted:

yeah this is just delta, we saw it clobber the south months ago and no one cared

the extra fun thing is the media can conflate the two and just pretend the cold weather states (i.e. good blue states) did nothing wrong and its all just mild omicron cases

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

SHUT DOWN AND PAY PEOPLE, FROM THE TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS THE GOVERNMENT HAS BEEN PRINTING

AHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh

You clearly don’t know how an economy works, that money needs to be injected into the stock market so it can evaporate. People with business degrees know better OP

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

there's no reason to believe the US is any further behind the UK in this timeline too. omicron is hitting everyone at the same time, unlike delta and alpha which we saw hit the UK first

we just have dogshit surveillance in the US lol

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
it sucks rear end theres no real trusted health authorities you can point at and use as a source to not host events becuase they are more or less trying to keep number happy, so you have to listen to actual scientific types on twitter, but trying to explain to people that someone on twitter said "better safe than sorry" makes you sound like a crank and you'll just end up hearing stuff like "but the cdc says not to wear masks" or whatever.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
otoh if the cdc just came out and said 'shits hosed' then a bunch of morons in lifted trucks and red hats might show up armed because social media has let poo poo get so far out of control

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
sorrry for venting lol whoops

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Just a heads up, looks like somebody put Balloux on the list. He's one of the absolute worst - he's a Long COVID minimizer / denier and speaks very positively about natural immunity, despite having Long COVID / getting reinfected himself lol.

yeah someone sent me a list that included some morons so im now re-weeding people out. thanks

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
i'm just happy the retro video game conventions happened a month ago so those folks didn't throw themselves into the maw of omicron.

but i'm sure they will soon next year!

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

McNugget Buddy posted:

Pfizer is literally going to wait two months to see if Omicron overtakes Delta before starting manufacturing on an Omicron vaccine

We are so hosed

lol

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

what exactly is the point of making an omicron vaccine available in 3-6 months if the doubling time implies it will burn through the world population long before that?

like, ok, maybe omicron will end up being the ancestor of future immunity escape variants and an omicron vaccine would offer some protection against those new variants while the original wild type vaccine wouldn't. but that argument was offered in favor of a delta variant vaccine and as it turned out delta didn't end up being the ancestor of the next VOC.

:crackping:

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

waiting another half an hour to see if CT is going vertical after yesterday's reports

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Korean Boomhauer posted:

otoh if the cdc just came out and said 'shits hosed' then a bunch of morons in lifted trucks and red hats might show up armed because social media has let poo poo get so far out of control

seems like a good reason to keep lying to the public! :toot:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Korean Boomhauer posted:

conventions dont really profit anyone except hotels and the artists and vendors who go. the real reason people are going to events are people being "done" with roni and they've earned their treats, thinking its over because biden won, im 100% safe because i got two shots, people on twitter say its mild, etc.

I've heard people in my social circles say they'd off themselves if they can't go to sucknfucks so they claim they're doing it for their mental health

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
From the spam text messages my Mexican phone plan sends me

quote:

OMICRON NO CAUSA COVID MAS GRAVE: OMS;ESTO DIJO DE VACUNAS/CHOFER RETA A RIO EN KENIA Y SE HUNDE;MUEREN 32/ESPECTACULAR: VE MEXICO DESDE EL ESPACIO

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

WampaLord posted:

seems like a good reason to keep lying to the public! :toot:

oh yeah by no means am i suggesting the cdc keep lying. my point was more "delete twitter/facebook"

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/nerizilber/status/1468601219782516753?s=21

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
it seems like a really good idea to let an immunity escaping variant run freely in the wild instead of doing anything to prevent that. I hope all the "let's wait and see" assholes loving choke

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Korean Boomhauer posted:

Kinda get the feeling that we wouldn't have to worry about that sort of people in few months

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Open Marin

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

the hopium headlines are going off today

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Pfizer isn't in a hurry to mass produce their omicron boosters because the government money printer got turned off and there is no profit incentive considering they'd be lucky if 20% of people took the omicron booster now that the hive mind determination is that vaccines are useless and just give you mini covid so don't bother.

Of course this doesn't account for the fact that they already have omicron boosters and they've been given out to the rich and politicians so as far as the aristocracy is concerned, problem solved, covid over.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Highbrass3/status/1468642415875608576
look at this moron, im gonna get so much free pizza

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

fosborb posted:

good list

adds:
Deepti Gurdasani @dgurdasani1 long coivd in the UK

Elizabeth Jacobs @theangryepi Arizona and primary school focused

Nisreen Alwan @dr2nisreenalwan UK children and long covid

Esther Choo @choo_ek more moderate than others I've added, but a good voice in the mix

I'd remove zeynep. her specialized knowledge has little direct overlap with covid and the majority of her published writing on covid is I think, most charitably, misguided

updated.

I was thinking zeynep was someone wrong when I was adding it but the way you have to add people to build a twitter list makes it a pain in the rear end to verify when you are doing a mass data entry style list.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lacrosse posted:

I've heard people in my social circles say they'd off themselves if they can't go to sucknfucks so they claim they're doing it for their mental health

https://twitter.com/news4buffalo/status/1468645452199383051

https://twitter.com/TimWBEN/status/1468659606129885184

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

CODChimera posted:

Im still seeing reports mention that it's mild

They've started walking it back to "not any worse than Delta" because lol

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

EVERYTHING IS SO STUPID

WHY ARE WE HAVING EVENTS IN A loving PANDEMIC???

Can't give up living life just because a rough cold is going around

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

McNugget Buddy posted:

We are so hosed

What’s the Greek letter after Omicron? Cause that’s what we’re gonna be worrying about by the time the omicron vax is out

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Korean Boomhauer posted:

it sucks rear end theres no real trusted health authorities you can point at and use as a source to not host events becuase they are more or less trying to keep number happy, so you have to listen to actual scientific types on twitter, but trying to explain to people that someone on twitter said "better safe than sorry" makes you sound like a crank and you'll just end up hearing stuff like "but the cdc says not to wear masks" or whatever.

This is making it completely impossible to get through to my parents and my in-laws. In their minds Fauci / the CDC / the NYT are 100% reputable institutions and objective and lacking any agenda, and Twitter is just random people yelling at each other. That combined with Trump's feuding with the media / government institutions makes me come across as a Qanon'er for citing basic facts (my MIL thinks I'm a "vaccine shedder" conspiracy theorist because I said COVID is airborne and can hang in the air for hours). It's so infuriating and demoralizing. My dad is a lifelong leftist too, there's just no getting through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol I just got chastised by my aunt on my mom's side for not coming to the xmas party

"if you're vaccinated you can get covid but you can't get hospitalized"

"yes we are allowing a woman who is antivax to come"

"yes your cousin's two children (they are both between 5-11) are not yet vaccinated, but that's because they are wary of the vaccine and want to wait and see what happens"

oh also she said I was doing this because I have depression from being isolated lol

oh and of course "you are hurting your mother by doing this" :fuckoff: