Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for leaving a family vacation early?

Can we come back to this 19 year age gap between presumed full blooded siblings? That's roughly the span of a woman's fertility window. What the hell?

Edited for Content:

Pregnant and husband wants to give up recently adopted dog

quote:

Thanks in advance for reading and my apologies if I sound like as crazy and desperate as I feel right now. My husband and I are in our 30s and have been together 9 years and have a baby on the way.

A few months ago my husband and I adopted a 4 year old dog through a rescue organization. He's 75 pounds of pure muscle who just loves attention and love. He can be very sweet, and I have grown attached to him. My husband, however, hates him. And he has his reasons. The dog has separation anxiety, and even if we're home, he needs to be in the same room as us. And it can't be just one of us, he needs us both in the room with him. If he is alone, he whines constantly, screams, starts tearing the place up, and generally loses his mind, since the day we brought him home. We have researched the issue extensively, been in communication with our rescue group as well as the group dog trainer (getting a private trainer is a nonstarter for my husband), and have tried everything short of medication which we're about to move on to. In addition to the separation anxiety, he also has resource aggression, even if the "resource" is something that is not his, like junk on the sidewalk, clothing items, blankets, a board, any random thing he can get his mouth on. He has sleep aggression as well, but is crate trained. He has a living room crate, as well as a crate in our bedroom because he can't sleep alone. Lately he has been attention barking. I try to ignore the behavior and not reward it, but it's intimidating when he runs up to me and starts barking in my face. He also started peeing on the carpet this week, even though he gets plenty of bathroom breaks. I have been in contact with the vet but he seems to be in good physical health.

We have had the dog for just over 4 months and now I'm pregnant. It took us a long time to get pregnant, and due to infertility issues, we didn't even think it would happen when we made the decision to adopt the dog (we spent a long time doing our research, preparing, and generally doing our due diligence before adopting). I am completely overwhelmed with the dog and I'm just constantly wondering, if I can't give this dog the attention he needs now, how am I ever going to be able to handle life with him and a newborn?

My husband has completely given up on the dog and wants to return him. I can't stand the idea of adopting a dog and then returning it so I have agreed to take on all dog chores and responsibilities. I have been exercising him frequently, giving him attention, etc., but no matter what, nothing I do is enough. He just whines nonstop. I can't get any work done, I can't hear myself think, my husband and I are both going out of our minds, and all I can think is that I'm failing this dog and am going to fail at being a mother. I am completely overwhelmed with stress.

Recently, the dog has also started showing interest in the cat. She is a senior and our one requirement in adopting a dog was that it be good with cats. He stares at her, whines at her, has barked at her, and continues going back to her area (which is blocked off where he can't reach). I try to scold and redirect, but he's stronger and faster than she is and that makes me nervous. Especially with a baby on the way. Additionally, out of nowhere he growled at me in a way that was not playful while I was sitting on the floor watching tv, and a couple weeks ago be blocked me in the kitchen barking, growling, and snarling at me in a really aggressive stance. Fortunately that hasn't happened since, but I was definitely afraid. Maybe it will never happen again, but I'm just so nervous all the time, watching him to see what he'll do next.

The rescue organization will take him back if needed, but I love this crazy dog and hate the idea of just giving him back - of abandoning this animal who seems to love us. But I also understand that my husband is going out of his mind. While I have developed a relationship with the dog, he has not, so he gets absolutely no benefit from this constant stress and misery. Even though I do love this dog, I'm just constantly in tears, I looked forward to this pregnancy for so long, and now I'm just stuck in this depression.

Please help, do I just buck up, or agree to surrender our dog?

tl;dr We adopted a dog 4 months ago who is incredibly needy, driving us crazy, has shown some aggression, is making husband miserable, and we have a baby on the way.

Dazerbeams fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

I just don't understand how a person spends more than 20 dollars a month on weed, that gets me blasted out of my mind 3 times a week every week in a month. Flower heating vape pens work very efficiently. Or maybe I am just blessed with low tolerance?

Try getting blasted all day every day 7 days a week for years of your life. That's what this woman is doing, and I bet she has a hell of a tolerance by now.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Motronic posted:

Try getting blasted all day every day 7 days a week for years of your life. That's what this woman is doing, and I bet she has a hell of a tolerance by now.

It's what happens when you're too much of a degenerate to take a t-break every three to six months. I'm guilty of that myself.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for spending thousands of dollars of my nephew's trust assets?

quote:

Before his death, my father chose me as trustee for a trust that he set up for Jacob, my severely disabled nephew, but my sister was jealous about not having been chosen as trustee and asked me to quit. She once admitted that she had plans for how to spend that trust money, such as to spend it not only on Jacob, but also on other relatives she is fond of who were not named in the trust. I thought that would be wrong and cause trouble. Although my sister knows I am an honest person, she told my nephew and his family that I was stealing much of the money in the trust and suggested that I should be sued and removed as trustee.

Until she made those false statements, Jacob and I got along very well together, especially since I kept sending money from the trust for whatever he needed. But after that he no longer trusted me, even though I offered to sit down with him and go through all the accounts and explain everything in detail so he might understand. Unfortunately, he is confused and easily manipulated. At the encouragement of some of his relatives who are very, very interested in the trust money, he hired a lawyer who sent me letters accusing me of criminal actions and threatening to take me to court to remove me as trustee.

I care deeply about Jacob, so I warned him that his legal action against me would force me to hire my own lawyer that the trust would have to pay for and that it would be expensive, but he didn't listen and said he didn't care. He told me he had been assured by people he trusted that I would have to pay for all of his and my legal fees out of my own pocket. In order to prove that I had stolen nothing and remain trustee, I had to pay several thousand dollars from the trust for legal expenses. Jacob was shocked that the amount was far more than he had expected, and I don't think he understands what was proven when his lawyer gave up and quit after reviewing my clean accounts.

Now almost everyone, including Jacob, says I am a terrible trustee and that I abused Jacob and did not act in his best interest by "wasting" trust money. I hated having to spend trust money on legal fees, but I was trying to protect the trust from people who might have misused it if they had taken over as trustee. I was afraid that if I didn't remain trustee, the entire amount of money in the trust would disappear at the hands of my eager successor, and Jacob would get nothing more. Now he continues to get large regular monthly payments. AITA for spending thousands of dollars of trust money?

Come on Uncle! You should have just gone to jail or paid out of pocket for these false charges! Where's your sense of :decorum:?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

How much is in this trust that several thousands is a sizable amount, but the nephew gets a large amount of money each month?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ethiser posted:

How much is in this trust that several thousands is a sizable amount, but the nephew gets a large amount of money each month?

I suspect this nephew does not have a well developed sense of proportion on account of cognitive impairment

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Ethiser posted:

I'm assuming the uncle is just talking about "sizeable" in an absolute sense, not in a relative sense to the rest of the trust.

Also, don't trusts usually have a neutral party at whatever bank holds the funds who does most of the management; who could have been consulted to verify everything before it came down to legal action?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Dazerbeams posted:

Can we come back to this 19 year age gap between presumed full blooded siblings? That's roughly the span of a woman's fertility window. What the hell?

Edited for Content:

Ugh. I hate when they do remakes but change things up in ways that aren't even interesting. Like why change the dog breed from maremma? And get rid of the autistic older child?

But seriously that dog should've been rehomed to someone who can dedicate time to addressing behavioral, if not put down. Getting aggro at humans or other animals looks like a real bad sign to me.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Mr. Lobe posted:

I suspect this nephew does not have a well developed sense of proportion on account of cognitive impairment

Yeah, and the greedier members of the family know his nephew is easily manipulated due to that and have dollar signs in their eyes. Sounds like an awful situation to be in, trying to protect someone who doesn't understand they are being preyed upon. Basically a metaphor for anti-vaxxers!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Maiden posted:

What a weird thing to take away from my post. Nowhere did I call them immature, nowhere did I say poly is better. Perhaps you should read less into posts on the internet.
You mean this post?

Maiden posted:

most people in a committed monogamous relationship aren't emotionally able to handle the other sleeping with other people because of societal norms with regards to relationships and sex.

"prefer not to" isn't the same as "(isn't) emotionally able"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ethiser posted:

$500 a month would qualify as "large" to most people and could be sustained on low 6 figures (or even less, if it's intended to last <20 years.) A $5000 legal bill won't put a huge dent in that but it's enough to take notice.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PetraCore posted:

More like YTA for thinking the cops would care you didn't want anyone arrested.

"Hello, police? The people down the hall are committing a crime. No, don't stop them committing this crime, just please make them commit it somewhere else. Yes, I'll hold"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for not promoting a long time employee?

quote:

Greetings r/AITA, I've run into a recent dilemma with regards to my business. I, (57, M) own a private equity firm. We're no Warburg, but we're pretty well off. Some background: For the past 20 or so years, I've had a trusted second in command, let's call him M, who recently retired, which created a vacancy in the company. Technically, the next highest ranking person is a senior executive, let's call him J(M, 51). He's been with the company for around 12 years, and I hadn't have any issues with him prior to March of this year.

The office had been experiencing financial instability, and J had been exploring openings in other companies. I didn't hold it against him, especially since he was so open and honest about the offers he received from other firms(many of which paid better than his current salary). After some negotiations, we were able to decide on a raise for him and get him to stay with the firm.

Fast forward to 1 week ago, when M's retirement became official. Since March, circumstance had changed, largely due to the graduation of my son, B(25, M). He had graduated from a VERY prestigious university, and joined our firm soon after graduation. I had been seriously impressed by his work thus far, and that is where the problem arose. After careful contemplation, I decided to give the vacant position to B. This action was purely for the wellbeing of the company. Our success over the years has been largely through passing the company down from father to son, which is how I got my start in the firm. It was only right for me to continue this tradition and set up our future for years to come. When I revealed this to the rest of the company in our weekly meeting, the announcement went smoothly. Everyone took the news well and congratulated B.

However, I could tell J was upset by the news, even though he was trying to hide it. My suspicions were confirmed when, after the meeting, he told me he felt betrayed and shocked by what he called the "sudden promotion of B". The promotion was anything but sudden in my eyes, as I felt B had earned it. Though he didn't say it outright, J told me he felt he was owed the promotion, especially after I "guaranteed the spot to him in March". While I did mention the possibility of mobility in the company, I feel like this is disingenuous on his part, as he is twisting my words to make it seem like I'm breaking some imaginary promise. I can understand where he's coming from, but this is simply not the way to go about it. He said I was being underhanded by lying to him about his promotion. I have asked for the opinion of the other executives, all of whom agreed with me that I was not being unreasonable.

If anything, I am more confident in my decision after this meeting with J. I was already suspicious of his actions in March, but I never brought it up out of respect for his time spent with the firm. But now, I feel as if he violated that respect by trivializing my son's accomplishments and accusing me of being a liar.

AITA?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Dazerbeams posted:

Edited for Content:

I'm guessing that the OP's mother's husband is in fact not her father.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
ESH because they all work in a private equity firm.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Mr. Lobe posted:

I just don't understand how a person spends more than 20 dollars a month on weed

Hahaha. Okay this has to be bait.

There's no way you smoke three times a week and somehow can't imagine someone spending over $20 in a whole month.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

edit: wrong thread

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Dik Hz posted:

You mean this post?

"prefer not to" isn't the same as "(isn't) emotionally able"

"(isn't) emotionally able" isn't a bad thing, though? And the people who prefer not to have open relationships generally do it because they wouldn't be emotionally able to handle their partner being with another person. Which is completely fine and perfectly valid. I don't think Maiden is trying to claim that this is a sign of emotional immaturity, just that different people have different emotional thresholds for their relationships.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If this isn't fake, then there is more than enough information in this post for everyone in the company to find out exactly who OP is. Private equity firms aren't McDonalds franchises, they aren't so common that you can assume there are enough instances of this kind of thing that you can give that much detail and not immediately be able to pin it down to you.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

I have been thoroughly owned and all I can say in my defense is that I did not mean it like that, I merely meant to say that if you're monogamous you are (rightly) upset at the idea of your partner not being so as well.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

exmachina posted:

I'm guessing that the OP's mother's husband is in fact not her father.

Yeah she mentions her dad towards the end and how he can't stand her mom, which confused me for a moment until I realized he was not the same person as her mother's current husband.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Verdict: guillotine

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"I don't understand why this emplyee that was next in line for a job is so upset at my obvious nepotism."

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

LanceHunter posted:

If this isn't fake, then there is more than enough information in this post for everyone in the company to find out exactly who OP is. Private equity firms aren't McDonalds franchises, they aren't so common that you can assume there are enough instances of this kind of thing that you can give that much detail and not immediately be able to pin it down to you.

It likely is a dif industry, sounds a lot like it could be a law or consulting firm

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

limp_cheese posted:

"I don't understand why this emplyee that was next in line for a job is so upset at my obvious nepotism."

lol son has been there maybe six months, but nah you’re just TRIVIALIZING his ACCOMPLISHMENTS

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah, that's stupid. My parents used to get all high and mighty about it like "taste it before you decide it needs salt/soy sauce" and I'm like it always does, everybody's food is bland as gently caress, I know what I like

Look, some people want to be able to taste their macaroni over the heat of the mayonnaise, jeez. :jerkbag:

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Has anyone seen a marriage that opens up in the middle WORK? Every open/poly deal I know about that works started out that way because you set rules to begin with and... then everyone goes with them and it's fine!

My partner and his wife opened the relationship after they had been married a couple years. She was the one who brought the idea up to him. But it was a decision they made before either one of them started seeing other people (in other words, it wasn't a "Oh, I want to gently caress this specific person, but I'm married...I know! I'll suggest opening the relationship!").

In my personal experience, for open relationships/poly to work, it takes a few things: 1) a lot of open, honest communication; 2) a general lack of sexual jealousy (jealousy can absolutely happen in open relationships, but it's obviously easier for people who tend to be less jealous); 3) complementary lifestyles/preferences. In my case, I enjoy living alone and I'm pretty independent, so I don't mind the fact that I only see my partner one weekend per month. For some people, this would not be enough. For me, it feels like eating a single square of really expensive chocolate--it's about the quality of the time spent together rather than quantity.

It's pretty rare to have all three of the above things, which is why there are a lot of "we tried poly and it failed" stories. I get it. Monogamous relationships are hard enough as it is and adding more people only complicates things. But it can work, and I dare say there are benefits to it than monogamy doesn't have. It's all about the trade-off.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

LanceHunter posted:

I'm assuming the uncle is just talking about "sizeable" in an absolute sense, not in a relative sense to the rest of the trust.

Also, don't trusts usually have a neutral party at whatever bank holds the funds who does most of the management; who could have been consulted to verify everything before it came down to legal action?

You can hire a professional trustee but it's likely not worth it in this case. Most often once the grantor of the trust dies a trusted family member becomes the successor trustee.

Op also says:

quote:

The lawyer fees were less than 5% of the trust assets, but I was afraid that all the assets might be taken away from Jacob if a less-than-honest new trustee got hold of them and pocketed them.

So I would estimate it somewhere in the mid five figures to low six figures, assuming "several" means anywhere between $3-$7K. It's possible it's a Special Needs Trust, though IIRC those are put in place to cover specific expenses (doctor, transportation, furniture, etc.) and aren't supposed to disburse funds directly to the beneficiary. Their purpose is to provide benefits to someone in such a way that the beneficiary doesn't have direct control over them, and can therefore exclude the trust assets when they apply for federal and state aid programs that might disqualify them otherwise. Even if it's not a Special Needs Trust, if the nephew has a decent support system then that money will go a long way to ensuring they're cared for and comfortable.

Anyway, in the comments it comes out that the OP's family is stupid and greedy. They saw how much was in the trust and just assumed that they should have access to that money for no particular reason other than that it was money that existed in vague legal proximity to them. OP's sister had the same thought process as the family who stole from the dead brother's boyfriend: "Well, it doesn't seem fair that he distributed the estate that way that's not how I would have done it."

cumshitter fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 8, 2021

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lieutenant Dan posted:

My cat physically can't conceive of the TV or screens, she just looks away and doesn't give a gently caress no matter what :(

Her favorite tv show is the window :3:

Mine ignored the TV except for one scene, where a public broadcasting filler show (small 10-iminute things to fill gaps due to lack of commercials) talked about a wildcat rescue. One scene had a small lynx hissing at the camera invading their space, and that made my cat's head swivel every time. Any other TV sounds, animal or whatever, nothing, but he was hard-wired for that hiss.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it really depends on the sound. Some cat videos my cats will entirely ignore, some videos of cat-like sounds have them instantly sit up and notice

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

Mr. Lobe posted:

I just don't understand how a person spends more than 20 dollars a month on weed, that gets me blasted out of my mind 3 times a week every week in a month. Flower heating vape pens work very efficiently. Or maybe I am just blessed with low tolerance?

Anyway, content:

AITA for getting my neighbors arrested over weed?

Good lord, this person is the rear end in a top hat. If the people with the weed were Black, who knows what the cops would have done (we all know).

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Dazerbeams posted:

This is my half-brother and me, lol. She had him at 19 and me at 38. Both unplanned, but my mom is the sort of lady who absolutely loves children so I never knew people attached a stigma to being an oops baby until reading this thread.

I also have sisters 9 and 11 years older than me. I'm extremely close with the 9 year one, so this thread was also where I found out people blame that sort of age difference for why they're not close with their siblings.

I am learning!

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
My cat absolutely loves golf, she goes nuts when they do a zoom in on putting into the hole. :kimchi:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Oh gently caress my cat is bougie

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I didn’t hold it against J for seeking better opportunities elsewhere in March but I’ve always been suspicious of him since his actions in March (seeking better opportunities elsewhere)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I didn’t hold it against J for seeking better opportunities elsewhere in March but I’ve always been suspicious of him since his actions in March (seeking better opportunities elsewhere)

I discussed the prospect of upward mobility with him, the #3 man in a small org in which I was #1, earlier in the year before giving the #2 slot to someone else

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
And things have changed. My son graduated and joined the company, something that we totally weren’t planning on the entire time even though it’s exactly what daddy did for me!

No no you don’t understand, I thought he was going to be really bad at this job like I was. My daddy made me wait a whole year!

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 8, 2021

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Dazerbeams posted:

My brother in law and his wife have 3 boys that are all teenagers, the oldest is 18. They just had a baby this year.

Not completely out of the question.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

OhAreThey posted:

In my case, I enjoy living alone and I'm pretty independent, so I don't mind the fact that I only see my partner one weekend per month. For some people, this would not be enough. For me, it feels like eating a single square of really expensive chocolate--it's about the quality of the time spent together rather than quantity.
Whereas I'm the "do 3.5g of weed concentrate and eat a couple pounds of chocolate" type.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
As the owner of my family business, I discussed my decision with the other executives and nobody disagreed with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Tenkaris posted:

And things have changed. My son graduated and joined the company, something that we totally weren’t planning on the entire time even though it’s exactly what daddy did for me!

I have been very impressed with my grandsons work. Do you know how often grandparents are impressed by their grandkids accomplishments? And you think he didn’t earn this?