Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm not even seeing family that I like who are a short bus ride (or long walk) away. I might go for a walk with them on the bank holidays after the weekend or something, that'd be nice, but it's not worth sitting for hours indoors breathing all over each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not even seeing family that I like who are a short bus ride (or long walk) away. I might go for a walk with them on the bank holidays after the weekend or something, that'd be nice, but it's not worth sitting for hours indoors breathing all over each other.

Go for a nice bus ride with them :yaycloud: keep the windows open

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Watching that enragingly poo poo press Conf. Yes you bunch of cunts. We're angry. We don't think it's 'unfair' because of the rules. We think it's loving unbelieveable the contempt you treat us with because you won't follow them and think we're stupid for doing so.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
"I would just like to take time out of this COVID briefing to pay tribute to the hard work of my disgraced press secretary"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Camrath posted:

I don’t know why I’m putting this here other than to vent, but I’d appreciate someone telling me that I’m not being a dick by being unwilling to do all of this shite and spend all this money on a trip I don’t want to take and which feels just super irresponsible.

Not a dick. Except for not sending me crates of free fudge every week. Dick.

We have a potential new outbreak going to peak at xmas or soon after, and poo poo may get bad again if the NHS gets overloaded too fast.
Asking anyone to goto another country right now where they may not get back for a few months if travel restrictions are added is ridiculous imo.
Especially when you can't escape the place for your own head's rest during it.
Just tell them its not worth the risk spreading or infecting everyone else.

I haven't seen my mother and our dog for 2 years now going on next week, and she hasn't met her first grandkid who was born in March.
And we are fine with Skype and Zoom.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

sebzilla posted:

What's this?

The Speaker has previously made it very clear that the government should be announcing coronavirus restrictions in the house of commons before doing a press conference about them so that MPs have awareness and can respond. Eggman stands up at 6.02 to deliver the statement whilst Johnson simulcasts the press conference moments later

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I also have Northern France parents who usually have a big family Christmas bash, & they decided a month ago that they're noping out & spending Christmas alone this year on account of the fact that the alternative is loving mental. It's tough but just say no imo.

(also if your folks are in Brittany there's a good chance I've met them, because expats)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Camrath posted:

So with all this Christmas talk, I could use some input.

My parents, bless their little hearts, are convinced that we need to have a massive family Christmas at their place in northern France, with myself, my wife, my brother, his wife and their two young kids (3 and 1).

My wife and I are already not keen on doing this- it’ll be a seven or eight hour drive each way, costing north of a grand to be able to get there. That’s before you add in that my brother is a lib-dem oval office who delights in winding me up and upsetting me until I lose my rag- he’s been doing it for 35 years and counting- and gets even more unpleasant when he drinks. He and his family are taking over the part of the property where we’d normally stay, meaning we’d be stuck in a spare room in my parent’s part, with no real place to retreat to.

And as of Thursday France now requires PCR tests before travel, plus the UK requires one on return. Adding another 4-500 plus to the cost, which we just can’t afford.

Add to that it just feels super irresponsible to travel basically the length of the country and to another at the moment- we’d be coming from Shropshire, my brother from Devon and my parents from London.

I don’t know why I’m putting this here other than to vent, but I’d appreciate someone telling me that I’m not being a dick by being unwilling to do all of this shite and spend all this money on a trip I don’t want to take and which feels just super irresponsible.

Just say "no, we can't afford it". Sounds like a lot of money to be stressed out of your brain.

I personally can't stand all the emotional blackmail that goes on at Xmas. And I know one of my siblings is still festering and full of hatred for one of our nephews who was in his late teens and suffering from depression and who didn't turn up to a 'family' Xmas at her house 4 years ago and thus 'ruined christmas' (forever and an aye - she still rants and raves about it given any opportunity eg any time his name is mentioned).

That said, I'm probably the worst to ask because I haven't celebrated Xmas for about 26 years now (with two exceptions - one when I came under extreme emotional blackmail from the sibling mentioned above about 15 years ago, and once in Cairo when an Italian friend invited me over).

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Borrovan posted:

I also have Northern France parents who usually have a big family Christmas bash, & they decided a month ago that they're noping out & spending Christmas alone this year on account of the fact that the alternative is loving mental. It's tough but just say no imo.

(also if your folks are in Brittany there's a good chance I've met them, because expats)

Nah, Pas De Calais Nord. And they’re not expats, just spend a lot of time there (like most of last year- they live in a tiny and ruinous flat off Holborn and would have murdered each other if locked down there)

Thanks for the perspective guys. Now to pluck up the courage to actually tell them this ain’t happening.

Back to being the Bad Son again, I suspect.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Failed Imagineer posted:

You definitely should not bother with Cursed Christmas, just chill out man

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Sounds like theres going to be a rebellion over the plan b vote.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
This man really up here telling people to stay away from the office, but not to cancel your Christmas party because they're fine and good actually?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Under normal circumstances I would agree that work bad, party good.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Camrath posted:

Nah, Pas De Calais Nord. And they’re not expats, just spend a lot of time there (like most of last year- they live in a tiny and ruinous flat off Holborn and would have murdered each other if locked down there)

Thanks for the perspective guys. Now to pluck up the courage to actually tell them this ain’t happening.

Back to being the Bad Son again, I suspect.

Just to reply to your original post as I'm currently planning to do something similar. You can use antigen tests to enter france, just not the nhs ones or do it at home ones. They have to be lab supervised. For instance you can get them at stansted airport for 32quid, but there's places all over you can go to get them done. Also to return you only need an antigen test, but this can be one you take with you and do yourself, logging the result through an app or whatever. Its still a fair extra cost and hassle.

But this is as it stands now, and we've just tightened the rules which usually results in everyone else acting like were a covid leper and upping the barriers to entry so I wouldn't be surprised if it changes before xmas.

Mines a bit different as my parents actually live there rather than travelling over for it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
saw this and thought, as it combines two of the thread's favourite things, people might be interested:

https://insideevs.com/news/553120/tesla-model3-uk-policecar-findings/amp/

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I've noped out of going to the UK at Christmas even though my parents are. They've decided to base themselves on the opposite side of London to my brother (whose baby I haven't seen yet and he's almost 1), and I'm not up for driving to and fro on the wrong side of (dark, possibly icy) roads. And that's before the new pre and post travel testing and Omicron reared their heads.

Use this as an impetus to move Christmas to June in the northern hemisphere, I say.

E: as in, rural areas with London in between them, not like Camden and Tooting or something

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 8, 2021

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

NotJustANumber99 posted:

saw this and thought, as it combines two of the thread's favourite things, people might be interested:

https://insideevs.com/news/553120/tesla-model3-uk-policecar-findings/amp/

If they turn up at a riot at least it saves you the effort of torching it :shobon:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

So the Met aren't going to investigate the party due to "an absence of evidence", despite a) there literally being a video of people discussing it, one of whom resigned, and more importantly b) that's why you loving investigate you incompetent fascist pricks

ZyrKx
Dec 10, 2006

Licorice Whip!
it's not entirely surprising that the met, despite providing security for the party, are still unable to tell whether or not it happened

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
UK Christmas dinner plans 2021

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Someone at Scotland Yard heard about AI not being able to recognise non-white faces, huh

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Chief political editor of the Times saying that it's nonsense the story would've been sat on:

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1466732667651739648?s=20

Times Media correspondent confirming story was sat on:

https://twitter.com/Jake_Kanter/status/1468628058051645444?t=h4jgMVAsPKJ2E2im3YpCaQ&s=19

The British Press is fun.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Camrath posted:

For your mental, physical & fiscal well being... decline as graciously as you can, if a pandemic isn't a good enough excuse i don't know what is.

Both of you relax at home and enjoy a nice xmas time free of stress.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/chiweethegod/status/1468663696452833286?s=19

Lmao

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hope this doesn't mean that people will start associating the British Monarchy with child abuse and human trafficking. :ohdear:

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Dunno if it's just a case of being jaded, but I'm really finding it hard to care about this. Hard to believe that anything consequential will come of it. At most it'll be used to oust Boris but then it'll still be some other ghoul doing much of the same.

Only interesting parts are: I can't quite decide what's being deployed to cover up what: the party leaks to diffuse the severity of upcoming restrictions and/or health service collapse, or the other way around.

That, and the tittle tattle of who else is going to be brought down with it. I assume that there'll have been more than a few journalists, and possibly people from other parties, hanging out with the Tories too. It'll be funny if it was full-on Spectator Summer Party vibes and that's why the whole political clash is being a bit sheepish about it all.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Not the point, but it's deeply weird to see Her Majesty Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, eating her dinner off her knees. I mean I'm sure the plate costs more than my house and the cutlery is made from solid silver stolen off a Spanish galleon, but she just looks like your nan watching Corrie.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

I hope this doesn't mean that people will start associating the British Monarchy with child abuse and human trafficking. :ohdear:

If only big Phil were still here, he would have fixed things with a casual racist comment.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not the point, but it's deeply weird to see Her Majesty Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, eating her dinner off her knees. I mean I'm sure the plate costs more than my house and the cutlery is made from solid silver stolen off a Spanish galleon, but she just looks like your nan watching Corrie.

She looks almost like my mum in that pic. (The Queen, not Maxwell or the other woman).
I heard the queen likes pottering around at Balmoral in quite a primitive kitchen making pots of tea and so forth.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Answers Me posted:

Dunno if it's just a case of being jaded, but I'm really finding it hard to care about this. Hard to believe that anything consequential will come of it. At most it'll be used to oust Boris but then it'll still be some other ghoul doing much of the same.

Only interesting parts are: I can't quite decide what's being deployed to cover up what: the party leaks to diffuse the severity of upcoming restrictions and/or health service collapse, or the other way around.

That, and the tittle tattle of who else is going to be brought down with it. I assume that there'll have been more than a few journalists, and possibly people from other parties, hanging out with the Tories too. It'll be funny if it was full-on Spectator Summer Party vibes and that's why the whole political clash is being a bit sheepish about it all.

I get what you mean, this shower of poo poo did twenty more heinous things just that day, and it's actually annoying that with a 6-digit body count and the entire state crumbling around our ears that what is basically a gossip story being the first thing that's stuck to them.

Having said that, I think this is sticking because it does actually resonate. All of the poo poo they normally get up to comes with a tailwind of just-so stories (and a supine media that regurgitates them) that lets people pretend it's not their problem. Your average non-politics-following person doesn't see the poo poo the bodies piling up, if they do they might feel a little sad but talk about how the books have to be balanced or some poo poo. This one cuts through because lockdown - especially over Christmas - really loving hurt, but came with that story of shared burden and sacrifice, but this clashes so badly with tens of millions of solo Christmas dinners, Zoom New Year's Eve parties, and presents furtively handed over from a safe six feet away.

The sheer *banality* of it - cheese and wine and a pub quiz - is, weirdly, a multiplier here. If it had been a huge Bacchanalia with Boris slurping caviar off the tits of a minor royal he could have got away with it. People admire genuinely magnificent rule-breaking, but the fact they felt so completely isolated from the rules that they could get away with breaking them for something most people would probably make an excuse to leave early from is what's *really* hurting.

Of course it'll be completely forgotten apart from punchlines to hack jokes before 12th Night but it's something that should be instructive. People really don't like their evil banal.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Camrath posted:

So with all this Christmas talk, I could use some input.

My parents, bless their little hearts, are convinced that we need to have a massive family Christmas at their place in northern France, with myself, my wife, my brother, his wife and their two young kids (3 and 1).

My wife and I are already not keen on doing this- it’ll be a seven or eight hour drive each way, costing north of a grand to be able to get there. That’s before you add in that my brother is a lib-dem oval office who delights in winding me up and upsetting me until I lose my rag- he’s been doing it for 35 years and counting- and gets even more unpleasant when he drinks. He and his family are taking over the part of the property where we’d normally stay, meaning we’d be stuck in a spare room in my parent’s part, with no real place to retreat to.

And as of Thursday France now requires PCR tests before travel, plus the UK requires one on return. Adding another 4-500 plus to the cost, which we just can’t afford.

Add to that it just feels super irresponsible to travel basically the length of the country and to another at the moment- we’d be coming from Shropshire, my brother from Devon and my parents from London.

Seems fair to me. It's a shitload of money, it is pretty irresponsible (although others might debate that), and it sounds like it's going to be a crappy time either ways. There's always next Christmas or whatever other time during the next year you can go visit.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Blame the costs and don't go.

I've seen a lot of people aghast at how much the tests costs to travel, but that will be nothing compared to the costs if you test positive in France. The best case scenario then is that you end up stuck there in asymptomatic quarantine and then have to pay for yet more tests.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Finally a Torygraph headline I can fully endorse

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1468705713627316225?t=PAmF6nrfmtwf9NxhlQFeWw&s=19

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
did we find out what those two blokes on either side of the broken door were fighting about

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

From poster on reddit:

[SANKEY]Redfield Poll (8 Dec): Labour 38% (+2) Conservative 34% (-4) Liberal Democrat 11% (+2) Green 6% (–) Reform UK 5% (+1) Scottish National Party 4% (–) Other 1% (-1) Changes +/- 6 Dec

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/rc1wz4/sankeyredfield_poll_8_dec_labour_38_2/

Some interesting movements there.
I'm not surprised by the movement of some Brexit Party to Labour as this would have been one of my grandmas - basically pro-socialist pro-labour but racist. She would never have voted tory but she would happily have voted UKIP or Brexit.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 8, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I mean, well, I'm still going to vote Labour.

They might be rubbish but might as well.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Private Speech posted:

Same, I hate it but if I don't choose either they'll call me lazy, and the crazy racists are sure as hell going to keep that 40% floor propped up.

They've also made it perfectly clear that if they lose through disengagement, they're just going to spin it as still having a long way to go post-Corbyn.

May as well pick the least bad option - If my choice is between being slapped in the face or kicked in the balls, I'm going to choose being kicked in the balls and moan the whole time.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Private Speech posted:

I'll probably hold my nose and vote Labour round here too. It's a tory seat but labour usually come a reasonable second in the constituency, but not in my specific town which has its own sandal-wearing, knit-your-own muesli, do-gooder vibe.
If I really can't bring myself to vote Labour I'll go Plaid.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I'm not voting Labour. I think that if you do you're legitimising Keith.. He's not going to get in, and the wider margin he crashes and burns by, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I can help some nasty little poo poo lose their deposit by not voting that's more than any vote hitherto will have achieved.