Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron

I finally busted out the recent remake over Thanksgiving.

I kinda remember how the original game worked and this one seemed to be a pretty direct recreation of that but ironically I could not tell what was going on because they were trying too hard to tell me what was going on. The screen was all busy and there were popups and words and stuff, made it feel like a busy mess.

Don't know how we managed to learn things as kids. Clearly I have the oldbrains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Monkey Fracas posted:

think was this before the PG-13 designation as well- forget which movie that was basically invented for

I assumed it was Batman but that's why we have the 12 rating in the UK

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hammer Bro. posted:

I finally busted out the recent remake over Thanksgiving.

I kinda remember how the original game worked and this one seemed to be a pretty direct recreation of that but ironically I could not tell what was going on because they were trying too hard to tell me what was going on. The screen was all busy and there were popups and words and stuff, made it feel like a busy mess.

Don't know how we managed to learn things as kids. Clearly I have the oldbrains.

Nah, the original was a bit more clearcut, but you had to be willing to experiment.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

b_d posted:

perhaps you would enjoy the experience more in the original 720i 30fps, freezing whenever you hit a moblin?

Think there's something wrong with your Switch or the cartridge if the game freezes when you hit a moblin lol.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Think there's something wrong with your Switch or the cartridge if the game freezes when you hit a moblin lol.

It freezes if you use an ice weapon

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

hatty posted:

Why did animated Beetlejuice have red fingers? I read some edgy urban legends but they couldn’t be true

I don't think anyone knows, probably just a stylistic choice they thought looked cool?

I actually always took it as some kinda queer coding; cartoon-Beetlejuice put off heavy bi energy to me even when I was a kid. :kiddo:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/comments/jbd7eo/beetlejuice_the_musical_everything_changed_when/

I just found this whole saga. :stonk:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Long-Time Lurker posted:

no, the game experiences severe frame lurching on Wii U and Switch when a moblin’s killed, probably because of the ragdolling

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

Oxxidation posted:

no, the game experiences severe frame lurching on Wii U and Switch when a moblin’s killed, probably because of the ragdolling

Think I remember some sputtering during combat. I had thought by freezing they meant the game would crash when you hit a moblin.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rutibex posted:

Beetlejuice lives in hell i think he might be a bad guy

Pretty sure he hasn't been assigned a place yet because processing refuses to give him a timely appointment, and his queue number is atrocious

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mister Facetious posted:

Which game is the Doki Doki Panic of the Zelda franchise?

Link's Awakening.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

i like majora's mask dekus when are they gonna give us more deku lore

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

who wants to let me borrow some games

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Shut up for a moment, Imma talk about Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain now.

So some of you might have some recollections of the DS and Wii era and its brand of casual games. One of the famous brands is of course Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training, which sold about bazillion back in the day. Anyway, there was this other brand called Brain Academy, which was much more lighthearted affair to the more clinical Dr. K. Long story short, the original game out in 2005(!), and since Dr. Kawashima was released again on the Switch, I guess Nintendo looked at Big Brain and decided to give this series also a shot at it.

Quick rundown, there are 20 different minigames from 5 distinct categories of different mental capabilities. While in some you do simple calculus, in others you identify and match stuff, all within a 60 second period. You first start in baby game mode, but the better and faster you progress, the game eventually throws you into brain twister mode. And that's basically the core game. Do stuff quick, brain get smarter? I don't know.

Not the most exciting description so far, but there is a small hook in trying to do tasks as correctly and fast as possible. Throw in the online mode, where you can either race against the recorded game runs of your family's, friends or of (anonymous) players from all around the world for that competitive tick. The world challenge is especially built in a fashion that you get big brain points for smashing drunk middleaged salarymens brains in at the start, but go thru the two initial batches of the day and the game will start to throw you some brainier opponents against you.

Is it worth it? Eh, maybe. It's got a party mode with a difficulty handicap and touch screen support (for two players only, three or more need regular controllers), so it might be good for a laugh or two. If you enjoyed Brain Training style games, I don't see why this wouldn't fit your bill. The price is also half of the typical Nintendo price, which might still be too pricey for some, but there's also a demo out who are sitting on a fence.

It's a fun novelty game that you would expect Nintendo to make. That's my take.

Bonus content: Nintendo interviewed the folk behind the game series.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I know EA is whatever, but goddamn I'd love a retro game pack from their library, or for them to cut a deal with Nintendo to put some of their non-licensed stuff up on NSO. Haunting Starting Polterguy, Mutant League Football, General Chaos, the Strike series... There's some drat good stuff there.

Ah gently caress, I had forgotten about general chaos. I loved that as a kid and rented it every chance I got. Would buy that in a heartbeat if I could.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
General Chaos with online play would be great.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 22, 2021

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Google Butt posted:

who wants to let me borrow some games

I'm all digital except ring fit and pokemon, sorry

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Long-Time Lurker posted:

im exaggerating but i played the game on wii u shortly after release, and whacking a moblin really took a chunk of time for it to figure out what to do. i think i remember hearing that a patch down the line specifically improved this issue.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
I'm just wondering what you people think you remember of Beetlejuice that would require an R or even PG-13 rating. I recently watched it with my 8 year old and thought it was fine. There's no sex, no gore, only cartoon violence, and just a smidge of bad language. There's some cigarette smoking that you wouldn't see in a modern PG movie, but it was the 80s.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I have to say, I am surprised how solid the OLED looks and feels. The screen really is incredible, Mario Kart 8 in particularly feels smoother and the colors are incredibly vibrant. No more issues with sunglare either. Battery life is much improved over my launch version, and the speakers are louder, and clearer sounding. I even like the new stand!

Is it worth it if you primarily play in docked mode? No, I agree with the consensus that it is not.

But if you are like me and take your Switch everywhere, or just love playing it while in bed or randomly around the house it absolutely is worth it. Especially if you have an older launch version and you can trade it in / sell it to get some of the cost back.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Farquar posted:

I'm just wondering what you people think you remember of Beetlejuice that would require an R or even PG-13 rating. I recently watched it with my 8 year old and thought it was fine. There's no sex, no gore, only cartoon violence, and just a smidge of bad language. There's some cigarette smoking that you wouldn't see in a modern PG movie, but it was the 80s.

Pretty crass interactions with women, lots of suicide examples in the purgatory waiting room, probably a few other things I am forgetting. Nothing that would require an R rating from what I remember, but PG-13 would definitely fit.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

The Postman posted:

i like majora's mask dekus when are they gonna give us more deku lore

Would love for more MM/OoT stuff to show up in the BoTW sequel.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Farquar posted:

Seems a little more than PG to me, if only because you'd get kids asking "Wait, what's wrong with her, mom?" :P

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farquar posted:

Nice loving Model *grabs dick* *HONK HONK*

would make it PG-13 all by itself.

It's definitely not R

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Beetlejuice is entirely a sex pest. He's an actual demonic sex pest. That's his whole character.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Doesn't he like grab Geena Davis' crotch

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Muscle Tracer posted:

Not knowing your library OR preferences...

[1] Metroid Dread - best metroid game ever, second-best 2D action game out there
[2] Hades - actual best 2D action game out there, surprisingly wholesome
[3] Splatoon 2 - I guess #3 is coming out soonish, but the Splatoon series is such a refreshing twist on shooters
[4] Odyssey - my personal favorite Mario platformer

id[c/k] about the other ones!

hades is technically 2d? i thought that view was called isometric?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You can tell by counting the number of dimensions

Isometric refers to the camera angle, where the majority of objects are facing 45 degrees off from the way the camera points

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

abelwingnut posted:

hades is technically 2d? i thought that view was called isometric?

i just mean you only control 2 degrees of movement. graphically, metroid dread is a 3D game.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Grateful that I like cool and good things like Breath of the Wild and don’t particular enjoy weird things like Tim Burton movies

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Doesn't he like grab Geena Davis' crotch

He kind of haphazardly grabs at her while facing Alec Baldwin, but only gets her stomach or something.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Junkie Disease posted:

Why is Bayonetta not in smt?
She got an event in SMT Dx2, the mobile SMT game, like Sonic and Dante, IIRC.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bayoneetlejuice

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Beedlejuice

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica

Junkie Disease posted:

Why is Bayonetta not in smt?

Sega didn't want to mess up the cover art with a "featuring Bayonetta from the Bayonetta series" badge

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Beedlejuice

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just saw Benedetta a few days ago so now I'm imagining Platinum making a lesbian nun hack and slash game

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Rutibex posted:

Try activating DSS then hitting pause and going into the menu during the animation. In the original cartridge there was a bug that allowed you to select blank DSS cards in your inventory and use any combo in the game.

Yeah this is the emergency escape button. I used the poison cloud and elemental absorb cards CONSTANTLY.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I'm busy in SMT V, and am wondering:
How do I use the essence? I want my MC dude to be support-type and I have no clue how to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aerofallosov posted:

I'm busy in SMT V, and am wondering:
How do I use the essence? I want my MC dude to be support-type and I have no clue how to start.

Apotheosis in the World of Shadows. You can pull skills or attributes (ie; change your weaknesses and resistances), but not both, from a Demon essence. They're all one-shot uses too, so choose what you pull out of a Demon essence and what you put it on carefully. I think you're kinda missing out if you want to spec the Nahobino as support though (you do you of course), because you get some very nice Phys and Almighty moves from Essences tailored specifically for the Nahabino fairly early.