Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Just Another Lurker posted:

On a saner topic; which zombie movie would best encapsulate the utter stupidity of humanity during a pandemic?

It's definitely not Doomsday. That movie is a utopian fantasy where the Boris Johnson equivalent (played by Dr. Bashir) orders an extremely harsh lockdown to control the spread of a deadly pandemic and then shoots himself when he catches the disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think it's Invasion of the Body Snatchers where the few people who realise something's going on socially distance themselves and are wary of the known methods of infection while pod people roam the streets trying to find the uninfected, until finally donald sutherland is a plant man and there's no hope for humanity.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have been boosted.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The phrase "avoid it like the plague" also doesn't hit the same these days

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

And all the idiots preparing for the end of the world couldn't lock down in their fortresses for 2 weeks

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
We're a week away from ending mask mandates in NSW and our daily new case rates have started to surge again.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Lolie posted:

We're a week away from ending mask mandates in NSW and our daily new case rates have started to surge again.

I was in bunnings picking up some n95s today and half the staff weren't wearing masks.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

canyoneer posted:

Not a zombie movie, but it's the airlock scene from that show with Hugh Laurie.

I think it's the never put salt in your eyes Kids in the Hall sketch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_83MEuLoz9Y

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
no one wears masks in sweden and they havent all pandemic

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Collapsing Farts posted:

cant cook meatballs in a mask, it's ancient swedish law dating to the time of ragnar lothbrok

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
UK people: the booster booking site has updated this morning. You should now be able to book through that if you're three months away from your last jab. The info message now says theyre working on bringing it down to 2 months.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Just ordered some FFP2/KN95 disposable masks for my monthly shopping trips.... every little helps.

edit: Here in UK have been double masking with cloth & paper ones until now, should i still double mask with the inner one being a KN95 or just use one?

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Dec 8, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Just ordered some FFP2/KN95 disposable masks for my monthly shopping trips.... every little helps.

edit: Here in UK have been double masking with cloth & paper ones until now, should i still double mask with the inner one being a KN95 or just use one?

Just use the KN95, anything on top of it isn't going to do anything useful and could potentially mess with the seal and make the protection from the KN95 worse (not that KN95s seal particularly well in my experience).

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Fido, because it's about people "learning to live with" Zombies. Until the inevitable happens.

Was it actually good? I remember when it came out that I didn't watch it for some reason I no longer can remember why.

Also Avenue 5 which was already mentioned, is awesome even beyond the airlock scene (even though it is kind of a highlight in the season), and it all clicked when I noticed that it was a Armando Ianucci show! Other high-points in the series for me was everything to do with the space ship's poo poo-shield starting to leak and everything that lead to, like the people seeing the pope in the poo poo ring rotating around the ship and then the goddamn laser light show. Hugh Laurie's character constantly switching between american and british english was hilarious too. A perfect show for the times we live in.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Shinjobi posted:

I have been boosted.

Boostin' makes me feel good.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

enki42 posted:

Just use the KN95, anything on top of it isn't going to do anything useful and could potentially mess with the seal and make the protection from the KN95 worse (not that KN95s seal particularly well in my experience).

That was my concern, one mask it is. :tipshat:

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

I've just been using FFP2 by itself, but just for shops and not anything demanding like the gym.

Personally I've been getting them from Boots or Screwfix - too many counterfeits to trust anywhere like Amazon or Ebay.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I use one my ex's grandma made me. which is a bit odd

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Collapsing Farts posted:

A lie! A lot of people were masking up in shops and on public transport, some time approximately between Christmas 2020 and February 2021.

Not a majority, but still a lot of people.

They just reintroduced the mask "recommendation" on public transport yesterday. Nobody was wearing one on my commute today.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Collapsing Farts posted:

You can safely assume anyone doing the "what about Sweden" thing has been drinking deep from the well of chud misinformation. In 2020, Sweden's chief epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell, was anti-mask, anti-lockdown, anti-quarantine, and anti-travel restriction -- basically anti-anything that would control the spread of the pandemic. The only "safety" measure he pushed for was getting kids infected as soon as possible and also somehow (never explained in any practical steps) keeping all elderly and vulnerable people isolated until herd immunity could be reached. I believe he later denied that reaching herd immunity was part of his plan, but it's obvious from his early statements and gameplan that he actually did think herd immunity could be achieved without massive casualties and mayhem. This of course delighted the "let 'er rip" crowd around the world, so they started spinning up the misinformation engine to spew alternative facts about Sweden.

The biggest lie was that Sweden wasn't suffering any ill effects compared to neighboring countries from their do-nothing approach -- some even suggested Sweden was suffering less. I started looking into it after I had heard the Sweden rant a few times from my dad (and also heard from a friend's parents that he was posting it all over Nextdoor every day, lol). I corrected him and pointed him at real numbers and reports of the situation there (a time consuming process), but as you might expect, he ignored them. At the time I was having those arguments (~June 2020), Sweden was ranked 7th in the world in deaths per capita, and the only places in Europe with a higher death rate were Italy, the UK, and then some of the city-states with a very high population density. Sweden's death rate was a full order of magnitude higher than Norway, Finland, and Denmark through May and June of 2020 (and that was before they corrected their intentional undercounting -- the retrospective data was even worse).

Another big lie was that nobody in Sweden was masking or doing social distancing. Just because Tegnell was a moron doesn't mean all Swedes were. Plenty of people were masking and distancing voluntarily, it just wasn't coordinated and enforced by the government so it wasn't as effective as some other nearby countries. But there is no way that Sweden can be used as an example of uncontrolled spread -- just haphazardly controlled. They still practiced masking and distancing better than many US states, for example.

By the 2nd half of 2020 it became clear that their strategy was not working very well compared to their neighbors -- predictably, keeping the elderly in isolation didn't work at all (because you would need actual internment camps for this), and they were still at least half a decade from having enough people infected to claim herd immunity (assuming natural immunity could even protect you that long). Tegnell eventually released a statement that was essentially "oopsie woopsie, we made a little fucky wucky UwU", admitting his approach hadn't worked well. That admission from Tegnell never gets included with all the other right wing talking points that quoted his earlier nonsense, which I still hear occasionally over a year later.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 8, 2021

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Avenue 5 is very good

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I'm just going by my own experience of commuting to work every day for the last year in Stockholm. Maybe 1 out of 100 people wore masks in the subway. We do have some restrictions though. Some people work from home for example, and there are signs almost everywhere recommending people to keep their distance. I'm just not seeing people doing it

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 8, 2021

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Set posted:

Was it actually good? I remember when it came out that I didn't watch it for some reason I no longer can remember why.

It's basically a lassie movie where lassie is replaced with a zombie. So yes, it's great.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Bad Purchase posted:

You can safely assume anyone doing the "what about Sweden" thing has been drinking deep from the well of chud misinformation. In 2020, Sweden's chief epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell, was anti-mask, anti-lockdown, anti-quarantine, and anti-travel restriction -- basically anti-anything that would control the spread of the pandemic. The only "safety" measure he pushed for was getting kids infected as soon as possible and also somehow (never explained in any practical steps) keeping all elderly and vulnerable people isolated until herd immunity could be reached.

https://mobile.twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1468609760832409603

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

^ a lot of public health people in the US and WHO also went with the "masks are dangerous because you might touch your face more" thing in early 2020, probably to try to hoodwink the public into not buying up all the masks that medical professionals needed. of course it didn't work, because you only need a small percentage of people to panic buy masks to disrupt the commercial supply chain and you can't fool everyone. all it really accomplished was giving ammunition to misinformation spreaders for years to come.

of course that tweet above is from this week, and he's still sticking to the story that masks may be dangerous, lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Intentionally sowing disinfo about mask wearing will always stand out to me more than the callous indifference and inaction at the beginning of the pandemic

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I thought fomite transmission was generally considered to be a very low risk (even pre vaccines?) and that the overwhelming amount of cases comes from breathing in airborne droplets

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

learnincurve posted:

People who can’t work from home blinking at the live like a hermit stuff like “and eat what?”

The rich. :colbert:

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ginette Reno posted:

I thought fomite transmission was generally considered to be a very low risk (even pre vaccines?) and that the overwhelming amount of cases comes from breathing in airborne droplets

The early pandemic messaging was all in telling people to wash their hands like a surgeon scrubbing in. There was also significant concern about it spreading on services - to the point where some people were worried they could get Covid from opening a letter that came from China. The CDC insisted hand washing would work and that masks wouldn't. Lol whoops.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Even now hospitals are full of medical personnel in sagging surgical masks, if that, while covid stalks the halls. Hopefully we should learn soon the role droplets and aerosols play in spreading other diseases in case the same misassumptions were at work pre covid.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah - that was considered just good sense, and there were reports of viruses sticking around surfaces on (iirc) cruise ships for weeks. That led to all the gloves/hand sanitizer/face-touching/etc stuff from like Summer 2020.

By the end of Summer 2020 scientists understood fomite transmission was basically not happening with covid and probably wasn't happening for flu or other respiratory viruses either. But messaging around that never really happened or got into public consciousness. So now you have tons of relatively useless, performative or required disinfecting showcased at restaurants, etc.

(It's still not bad to sanitize surfaces - there's other illnesses that transmit this way - but it's way overblown and basically useless for covid containment.)

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Good early results re:boosted pfizer and omicron. We'll see how it holds up in more rigorous testing but I'll allow myself a bit of optimism.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

DickParasite posted:

The early pandemic messaging was all in telling people to wash their hands like a surgeon scrubbing in. There was also significant concern about it spreading on services - to the point where some people were worried they could get Covid from opening a letter that came from China. The CDC insisted hand washing would work and that masks wouldn't. Lol whoops.

People in this thread were literally washing their hands until they bled. :psyduck:

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

DickParasite posted:

I remember that one week where it was considered really important that you don't ever touch your face.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

DickParasite posted:

God knows i did that for months at work, still do tbh and i wear disposable gloves + mask on my monthly shopping trip.

I wore all that crap for 15 years at work pre covid so it never bothered me one iota.... still haven't suffocated from wearing a mask..... strange that. :crossarms:

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Getting my third shot of Pfizer tomorrow. Should I expect it to hit me as hard as the second shot? Do we have any decent research on the efficacy yet?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Getting my third shot of Pfizer tomorrow. Should I expect it to hit me as hard as the second shot? Do we have any decent research on the efficacy yet?

For me it was just slightly better than my second shot, but experiences have varied widely.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My handwashing discipline really didn't change due to the pandemic, although I maybe was a little more aware of it. Studies showing the literal poo poo that ends up on grocery cart handles was enough to make me vigilant years ago, and having eczema that makes hand sanitizer and a lot of soaps off-limits means I was already hyper-aware of touching things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

I just got a pfizer booster yesterday after an initial moderna vax in March/April. I felt so lovely this morning I turned the thermostat from 69 to 78 and spent a few hours lying on the floor under a blanket pile over the hottest heat vent in the house. I still feel like poo poo but no longer have crazy bad chills. Meanwhile my wife's arm doesn't even hurt anymore :thumbsup:

I guess I'd say if you had a rough time with the initial vaccine prepare for a rough time with the booster. Maybe you'll get lucky, though!