Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

There was something really strange about that fight scene at the end. It felt like all of the characters were worried about hurting eachother so they just sort of slowly danced around.

Has anyone compared the watch Kate found to the one shown in the first episode? Seems weird that she'd just leave it on a shelf with the tag still on. Could be a decoy since no one had a chance to look at it and Kate probably still has it on her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I'll be surprised if Kate's mom is mustache-twirlingly evil. She's clearly not innocent but she doesn't want Kate getting involved, which is in stark contrast to all the bad dads in the MCU.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I mean it's not like we haven't had evil dads before, there's Michael Keaton who clearly didn't want his family involved in his business.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Ignis posted:

I mean it's not like we haven't had evil dads before, there's Michael Keaton who clearly didn't want his family involved in his business.

And he is one of the more sympathetic villains in the MCU (until they presumably ruin him in Morbius). Compare him to Thanos, Ego and Wenwu, who were all about making it a family business.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wenwu at the end seemed more motivated by grief and loss.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Wenwu at the end seemed more motivated by grief and loss.

After training his son from preadolescence to be the world's greatest killing machine.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

stev posted:

There was something really strange about that fight scene at the end. It felt like all of the characters were worried about hurting eachother so they just sort of slowly danced around.

Has anyone compared the watch Kate found to the one shown in the first episode? Seems weird that she'd just leave it on a shelf with the tag still on. Could be a decoy since no one had a chance to look at it and Kate probably still has it on her?

Only one participant was there to kill someone. Echo is still working on the assumption that Hawkeye isn't Ronin and can torture him/Kate for info later while Yelena definitely wants to kill Clint she doesn't want to kill his new sidekick because she has some morals at least.

At least that's how I read it.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

DarklyDreaming posted:

Only one participant was there to kill someone. Echo is still working on the assumption that Hawkeye isn't Ronin and can torture him/Kate for info later while Yelena definitely wants to kill Clint she doesn't want to kill his new sidekick because she has some morals at least.

At least that's how I read it.

Considering that it's personal, it's possible that Yelena wants Clint to know who she is and why she's killing him.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

live with fruit posted:

Considering that it's personal, it's possible that Yelena wants Clint to know who she is and why she's killing him.

That also makes sense considering She had the drop on him but didn't dome him right there with that glock she used later in the fight

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The best scene of the episode was Clint and Kate palling it up having good hearty Xmas fun and deep emotional convos

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rarity posted:

The best scene of the episode was Clint and Kate palling it up having good hearty Xmas fun and deep emotional convos

As I said, this show has been nailing the emotional beats perfectly.

if yelena goes to clints farm fir Xmas and meets his family my heart will be warmed.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s weird but, like, whenever this shows veers away from heartwarming shmaltz is when the cracks show through. The best scenes have been Clint relating to his family, Kate relating to her family, Clint relating to Kate and spending their Christmas party together…

Like that little drawn out sequence about how he gets axioms wrong, that was delightful, the chemistry between those two is very strong and it came through loud and clear. That’s rare for Marvel!!!

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I liked Clint's Christmas jumper with a grumpy looking cat on it.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

stev posted:

Seems to be the same.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Senerio posted:

One billion percent. That conversation outside the elevator was the most blatant thing.

She may as well have gone "Mr Kingpin, sir, by which I mean Mr Wilson Fisk, kingpin of organised crime in the New York city and surrounding tri-state area, please call me, Eleanor Bishop, your trusted subordinate back"

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

She may as well have gone "Mr Kingpin, sir, by which I mean Mr Wilson Fisk, kingpin of organised crime in the New York city and surrounding tri-state area, please call me, Eleanor Bishop, your trusted subordinate back"

...Unless they're Mephistoing us.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Still holding out hope her mom turns out to be Madam Mask.

Or becomes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

...Unless they're Mephistoing us.

In a huge twist it's actually Mr Negative. (I'd actually be down for him showing up in the MCU just to see how they do the look)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Rarity posted:

Everybody ITT seems to have missed that Clint straight up told Kate he was Ronin, too.

That is what prompted the whole "I'm not a hero! I'm a trained killer that was aimed at the 'right targets'!"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We didn’t miss it, it’s just tension that wasn’t tense, it’s information literally everyone already has except for Maya, basically, and like everything else in this show has stakes lower than a limbo stick

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
She also heavily implied that she knew last episode

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Oof I gotta agree that the fights were really bad in this episode, I mean That was Yelena! She should be kicking rear end really hard. Although I had a big laugh at Kate getting stuck in the middle of the zip line, and Pizza Dog continues to be a very hungry good doggo.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Can we all just stop and admire how committed Jack is to being a sword guy? He's got rapiers in the umbrella stand!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

kazil posted:

Gonna be really poo poo if they go with "Yeah, Clint did a murder, but he's really sorry so it's ok"

I'm hopeful they won't given how Clint framed his actions this episode, as being, essentially, murder he was doing to help cope with the loss of his family, and not trying to glamorize or pass it off in any way. That said, after thinking about it some earlier I think it's likely that once Clint does 'fess up to Maya and Yelena in the last episode that Maya's number two, knock off Jon Snow or whatever his name is, is going to end up getting fridged both to (a) pull her out of seeking revenge on Clint and (b) set her against the Kingpin. Cause there's no way her show isn't about her trying to upend him. So someone knifing her second, who is the only person in the plot she gives a poo poo about, in order to rub in that "Yeah, Kingpin a poo poo" seems like a good shot.

Desperado Bones posted:

Oof I gotta agree that the fights were really bad in this episode, I mean That was Yelena! She should be kicking rear end really hard. Although I had a big laugh at Kate getting stuck in the middle of the zip line, and Pizza Dog continues to be a very hungry good doggo.

On the other hand, Clint is one of the few people it makes sense can keep up with her; if not outmatch her, considering he could somewhat match Natasha in melee combat, and Yelena is just a worse Natasha at the moment. Once she gets her own show/movie or even just co-star treatment in something beyond Natasha's own venture that established her, she'll presumably have the time/focus to establish herself and become more than Natasha, but she's Natasha's worse sibling for the moment; so it makes sense Clint can keep up with her.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 9, 2021

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

I'm hopeful they won't given how Clint framed his actions this episode, as being, essentially, murder he was doing to help cope with the loss of his family, and not trying to glamorize or pass it off in any way. That said, after thinking about it some earlier I think it's likely that once Clint does 'fess up to Maya and Yelena in the last episode that Maya's number two, knock off Jon Snow or whatever his name is, is going to end up getting fridged both to (a) pull her out of seeking revenge on Clint and (b) set her against the Kingpin. Cause there's no way her show isn't about her trying to upend him. So someone knifing her second, who is the only person in the plot she gives a poo poo about, in order to rub in that "Yeah, Kingpin a poo poo" seems like a good shot.

Has Clint commented on or acknowledged killing Maya's dad? Or was it just someone who's handy with a sword (cough cough cough)?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

live with fruit posted:

Has Clint commented on or acknowledged killing Maya's dad? Or was it just someone who's handy with a sword (cough cough cough)?

Having Kingpin pay someone to dress up as Ronin and kill everyone in the garage does seem like an easy way to resolve the conflict between Maya and Clint as well as setting up the conflict between Maya and Kingpin. My guess would be on Kazi doing it, though, instead of Jack

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

kazil posted:

Having Kingpin pay someone to dress up as Ronin and kill everyone in the garage does seem like an easy way to resolve the conflict between Maya and Clint as well as setting up the conflict between Maya and Kingpin. My guess would be on Kazi doing it, though, instead of Jack

I kind of lean toward Jack between the two of them. Kazi seemed to be losing to Kate in the warehouse fight and Clint took him out with ease. I could see Kingpin wanting Jack to do it because Jack would be capable of mimicking Ronin's style (and skill) with a sword. Plus it would explain a little about why Jack seemed so interested in acquiring Ronin's costume and weapon. Figure before and after that moment Jack's focus on swords was mostly an eccentric hobby. But for one moment he got to apply his skill with swords in the real world with real stakes and real blood and death. I think he really wants to do that again.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m lol

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

So I think Kate's mom was the one who hired Yelena, and the reason she ducked out was because she'd specifically been told to make sure Kate didn't get hurt.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

He talked about Kazi working under him, and seems aware he's dead, but he also wouldn't cop to killing him there because it'd give away that he's Ronin, so we technically don't KNOW.

But Kazi killing Papa Lopez would be a nice bit of betrayal to set up the spin-off.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

fractalairduct posted:

So I think Kate's mom was the one who hired Yelena, and the reason she ducked out was because she'd specifically been told to make sure Kate didn't get hurt.

Granted that I could easily end up talking out of rear end on this part because I haven't finished watching the episode, but that seems unlikely at best. The person who "hired" Yelena was Val. As far as I know Yelena doesn't give a rat-gently caress about Eleanor Bishop, Kate Bishop or Jack. She's here to punish and ultimately kill the holy living gently caress out of Clint Barton, who murderer her sister, Nat.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Everyone posted:

Granted that I could easily end up talking out of rear end on this part because I haven't finished watching the episode, but that seems unlikely at best. The person who "hired" Yelena was Val. As far as I know Yelena doesn't give a rat-gently caress about Eleanor Bishop, Kate Bishop or Jack. She's here to punish and ultimately kill the holy living gently caress out of Clint Barton, who murderer her sister, Nat.

Well sure, but why did Val decide that Clint should be eliminated? Eleanor runs an Incredibly plugged in security company, I could easily see her having a relationship of some sort with Val and called in a marker

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, from the scene at the end of Black Widow, Yelana hurts from Nats death, Val shows up, and clearly they have a current relationship, and tells her that Clint killed Natasha and she should go after Clint. There was probably more to the package than just a picture of Clint, most likely a summery of the events in Endgame; "Clint and Natasha went to a planet to get one of the stones, Clint came back alive, Natasha did not" and from there its probably heavily leading Yelana to think that Clint killed Natasha. Though we are aware the truth is that Natasha sacrificed herself for Clint to have a chance to be with his family again. Yelena is hopefully smart enough to not just take what happened on the face, and as someone earlier mentioned, she could have just capped Clint with the gun she had without him knowing. I think she doesn't want to kill him outright, that she wants to find out what actually happened, why someone who was supposed to be one of the closest people to Nat could kill her. That gives him the opportunity to find out what actually happened

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Xealot posted:

KB Toys was a distraction while your parents were in the WaldenBooks next door. Toys R’ Us was a destination.

Read all about it in “10 Things Gen Z Kids Will Never Understand!”

Lol all these things were killed by Bain Capital and Romney

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
Another fun episode. The quiet moments continue to be the best. The chemistry between Kate's mom and Jack was really good, even viewed through a cynical 'I know one or both of you fuckers is evil' lens. The LARPers continue to be just the worst "lol, nerds" Hollywood writing, but I can roll with it (and yo, Hawkeye, you're wearing a loving backpack, I can clearly see it isn't stuffed full, just put your drat arrow/heads in there and give Lesbian Cop Lady her wife's sentimental bag back, you dick)

8/10 I'm gonna need an explanation of why Val would want Clint dead enough to dupe Yelena other than 'ooh, big shoehorned Clint/NatashaYelena moment, here.

Looking forward to reading how CHEEZ-ITS will give poor Pizza-Dog diarrhea

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think Val contacted Kingpin to let them know an Avenger is sniffing around and they hired the Widow. I don’t think regular criminals can hire widows, even corpo criminals, I think you need to be a really evil super villain to order a hit with one of them.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

twistedmentat posted:

As I said, this show has been nailing the emotional beats perfectly.

if yelena goes to clints farm fir Xmas and meets his family my heart will be warmed.

I figure this happens but with Kate instead after her mum turns out to be evil

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rarity posted:

I figure this happens but with Kate instead after her mum turns out to be evil

I wouldn't bit even a little surprised if Kate, Yelena and Maya end up coming to the Bartons for Christmas. I'm really hoping Yelena henceforth gets referred to as "Aunt Yell."

In the MCU it'll be a heart-warming scene of love and acceptance. In pretty much any other universe if a dude brings three pretty young women home with him, his wife at least gives him a stern reminder that harems are gross and polygamy is still illegal.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 9, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I saw a theory that Laura had the Mockingbird callsign before Bobbi and I really hope it's true :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rarity posted:

I saw a theory that Laura had the Mockingbird callsign before Bobbi and I really hope it's true :3:

I would love for that to be true. And I hope that Kate, Yelena and Maya come home with Clint for Christmas... at which point the farm gets invaded by bad guys so we get to see Laura whip some rear end along with Clint and the other ladies.