Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

here have an experienced track driver almost making GBS threads himself in fear at how terrible the model s brakes are

https://youtu.be/tdtvhsfZ9Xo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Russian Bear posted:

A yoke only works if you never have to take your hands off the wheel like in a F1 car.

Which Toyota intend to do with their new EV because it will not have a mechanical connection to the wheels, thence no quick rack required.

Which frankly is one of the most godawful hosed up ideas ever shat out. Steer by wire is a flat gently caress off.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Queen Victorian posted:

We had a brief era of screen-centric devices with non-interactive screens and non-keyboard & mouse interfaces. Think early gen iPods. Didn't last long because touchscreens became a viable alternative pretty quickly. So if you were to make a car interface with no touchscreen inputs, you'd probably cook up something akin to the iPod interface to navigate around the options. You would need to put a lot of care into the software interface to work with the less-than-full-keyboard input and reduce the need for most if not all input more complex than poo poo like yes/no and previous/next. The biggest issue would be inputting addresses for navigation.

I can't think of any examples right now since they all blur with time, but certainly some manufacturers do something like this for common stuff. Using the steering wheel buttons and scroll wheels to navigate through selected functions, usually in the drivers cluster. Some are only OK, some have made me think "wow that's a neat way of doing it". To me personally, this deals with the vast majority of poo poo I need to mess with while driving. Inputting destination can be done sitting still or yelling at Siri etc. The config options buried behind menus? Don't need to gently caress with them while driving either. I'd rather still have buttons for HVAC than a poo poo digital implementation, but would take a good digital implementation, because I tend to set and forget and don't live where gloves are a thing. The only times I need to defrost my screen, well I'm not moving anywhere till the screen clears so once it's doing its thing and I'm off, all I need to do is mash the AUTO setting again. Yes, indicators, high beams and wipers should be stalks, steering buttons or maybe dash buttons at worst, cos those are the only things I've ever needed fast.

Yes there are issues with touch screens in cars, and certain raving loons like Elon are just going hog wild, but on the other hand some people bang on like they're constantly tweaking settings as they bump along the Khyber Pass or something.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Wheeee posted:

here have an experienced track driver almost making GBS threads himself in fear at how terrible the model s brakes are

https://youtu.be/tdtvhsfZ9Xo

The Plaid does not in fact have terrible brakes - It is a decently sized Brembo kit that is perfectly fine on the road and even for a run or two at a drag strip before you get booted out for being too fast without safety equipment. However exactly like plenty of far slower cars the standard pads and rotors are not that track capable and Tesla are not saying otherwise, if anything they are saying it loud with the release of a ceramic carbon upgrade coming next year- https://electrek.co/2021/11/24/tesla-carbon-ceramic-brake-kit-model-s-plaid/

Or do what actual sane track day bros do and pony up for after market if you want to cut some laps now. Unplugged Performance probably can hook you up.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Pretty much every review of the plaid calls out the brakes as being subpar and there’s a ton of threads on TMC about them being lovely. It’s a 140k, 5000lb, 1000hp car, the brakes should probably be better than “good enough for driving the speed limit.”

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 8, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Pretty much every review of the plaid calls out the brakes as being subpar and there’s a ton of threads on TMC about them being lovely. It’s a 140k, 5000lb, 1000hp car, the brakes should probably be better than “good enough for driving the speed limit.”

If you are driving hard enough to give Brembos decent stress on a public road then you should not be being a dickhead on a public road - the streets aint a race track, don't drive like it's one esp in hugely powerful cars (Which Tesla aint alone in this). The previous statement stands - you want to track it, go change the setup like is pretty much standard practice with just about any car or hang a bit and get the carbon setup OEM when it's availible.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 8, 2021

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I think the data provided indicates that the brakes are undersized and spec'd for their application and not an issue with the brake manufacturer.

It feels like you're being deliberately obtuse.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Also Brembo is not able to apply magic to their brakes and make them stop on a dime if the OEM requirements are too weak. They will build the units to spec and not give a smidge of care if the cars doesn’t brake well when the OEM requirements are fulfilled.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The Plaid does not in fact have terrible brakes - It is a decently sized Brembo kit that is perfectly fine on the road and even for a run or two at a drag strip before you get booted out for being too fast without safety equipment. However exactly like plenty of far slower cars the standard pads and rotors are not that track capable and Tesla are not saying otherwise, if anything they are saying it loud with the release of a ceramic carbon upgrade coming next year- https://electrek.co/2021/11/24/tesla-carbon-ceramic-brake-kit-model-s-plaid/

Or do what actual sane track day bros do and pony up for after market if you want to cut some laps now. Unplugged Performance probably can hook you up.

A lot of these owners think otherwise, how long have you had your Plaid?

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/model-s-plaid-brakes-are-terrible.244778/

Goober Peas posted:

I think the data provided indicates that the brakes are undersized and spec'd for their application and not an issue with the brake manufacturer.

A mandatory part of being a huge Tesla stan?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Lmao my Mach-e has 5 mm wider brakes than the Model S despite costing less than half as much.

My car functionally has a top speed of like 105 I bet I could coast down from top speed faster than a Plaid could stop from its top speed using its brakes.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Is the Plaid unable to stop safely more than once or twice from its top speed, or does it kill them in normal driving? I mean, most cars not meant as track toys will cook stock brakes when driven hard for a while on track.

Is it just so fast that it’s trivially easy to cook the brakes, or are people expecting it to be a GT3 when in reality it’s an old muscle car?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Not that I've seen many reviews for it, but from what I have seen seems to suggest they should be perfectly serviceable for reasonable spirited driving on the streets, but repeatedly drag races or any serious use will have you wishing for better brakes.

Which I think is par for the course for most fast vehicles honestly? Not many things legitimately come ready for the track from the manufacturer. And while it is loving fast I don't think they really make it out to be "a car you can track"

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
What techbro is going to gauge the size of his brembos before trying to hit 200 in a stoplight race to his gated community? If Tesla is going to make a 1000 hp car any idiot could drive they should do a little better being a nanny for their target audience. It’s just good PR.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Queen Victorian posted:

I also like to think the focus back then was more on a car and driving experience for you, the driver-owner, rather than for your peers judging your status/wealth/taste in cars.

that wasn't really true, the 3 series had a rep as a status yuppie mobile in the 1980s

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that wasn't really true, the 3 series had a rep as a status yuppie mobile in the 1980s

gently caress you, that's my name! You know why, mister? Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight, I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This was always my single biggest trepidation about driving a 'luxury' nameplate. I care very little about how the car is perceived by other people, and yet driving certain ones can make you feel douchey unless you're deadset about not giving a gently caress. I don't like being perceived as a douche.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sab669 posted:

Not that I've seen many reviews for it, but from what I have seen seems to suggest they should be perfectly serviceable for reasonable spirited driving on the streets, but repeatedly drag races or any serious use will have you wishing for better brakes.

Which I think is par for the course for most fast vehicles honestly? Not many things legitimately come ready for the track from the manufacturer. And while it is loving fast I don't think they really make it out to be "a car you can track"

You can take a BMW M car or a Mustang or a Camaro ZL1 or many other “performance” cars to a track and not roast the brakes after one lap.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The ZL1 is a completely different animal than just a regular old Camaro though. And while I don't think I'd necessarily put some of the M cars in the same category of Track Monster, but for the performance division of a luxury brand I'd definitely put them a cut above just 'regular' fast cars and expect them to be more competent out of the box.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Sab669 posted:

The ZL1 is a completely different animal than just a regular old Camaro though. And while I don't think I'd necessarily put some of the M cars in the same category of Track Monster, but for the performance division of a luxury brand I'd definitely put them a cut above just 'regular' fast cars and expect them to be more competent out of the box.

The Tesla website calls the Plaid “the highest performing sedan ever built.” Are you arguing that it’s not actually a performance car?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

if you're going to sell a car that can do a 9-second standing quarter mile by simply mashing the accelerator you should probably also ensure that car can safely slow down from said 9-second quarter mile

luckily Tesla's primary buyer demographic isn't car people, it's trendwhores and gadget nerd dipshits who don't know any better

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Tesla website calls the Plaid “the highest performing sedan ever built.” Are you arguing that it’s not actually a performance car?

Looking over the actual page for the MS -

quote:

All Model S powertrains, with updated battery architecture, are capable of back-to-back, consistent 1/4 mile runs.

Yea, alright, if they're explicitly calling out their drag strip capabilities they should definitely do better.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I like how they said the powertrains are capable of it, not the car. Because they know.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I had that thought too :v:

Funny how they only mention the batteries

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Oh definitely, but it was nice to pretend that there was that other element, the one that was important to me personally, at the core. Over the last couple days I've been experiencing a rush of nostalgia for my old bimmer and am projecting. I guess the XM concept ultimately accomplished its design goal in triggering a strong reaction and getting me to think about BMWs. Whether the reaction was positive or negative didn't even matter.

On 80's yuppiemobiles: my mom met my dad through mutual friends who'd take them out to the country to do ranchy outdoorsy stuff. My dad drove my mom home from one of these trips in an old stock truck and she was enamored because he was this poor romantic cowboy and totally not like the BMW-driving corporate yuppies she'd previously dated and had enough of. Then he came to pick her up for a date in his real car, which was of course a BMW. :v:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Throw the German automotive industry into the ocean.

The one true XM.

upload images to url

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

i own every Bionicle posted:

Is the Plaid unable to stop safely more than once or twice from its top speed, or does it kill them in normal driving?

Is that the metric by which you judge whether or not braking hardware is sufficient? Brakes don't catch on fire during normal driving?

Nobody thinks the Challenger is a factory track weapon either but it still has better brakes than the Tesla despite having less horsepower, less weight, and costing half as much.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KillHour posted:

BMW iDrive can be controlled entirely with the puck in the center console and so can whatever Mazda's is called. Probably also Audi and Merc, but I don't know for sure. Lexus, too, but they managed to make it terrible in the process.
Audi's can but they've moved to a touch screen only interface which isn't ideal. I like BMW's setup the best where you can use the center puck or the touch screen.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

bird with big dick posted:

Is that the metric by which you judge whether or not braking hardware is sufficient? Brakes don't catch on fire during normal driving?

Nobody thinks the Challenger is a factory track weapon either but it still has better brakes than the Tesla despite having less horsepower, less weight, and costing half as much.

No, I mean to say that it’s reasonable to expect a car to have enough brake capacity to always stop safely when driven normally, somewhat spiritedly, and from top speed a couple of times in succession, but the constant abuse of track driving will kill the brakes of most street cars. I’m trying to figure out how bad they really are on the Plaid.

For the record, I think the Plaid being as cheap, fast, and unsorted as it is, while clearly being marketed towards non-car people, is extremely irresponsible and quite on brand for Tesla. It should have better suspension, aero, brakes, and tires, and should be able to stop quicker than it accelerates.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Mr. Apollo posted:

Audi's can but they've moved to a touch screen only interface which isn't ideal. I like BMW's setup the best where you can use the center puck or the touch screen.

Due to supply shortages you may not be able to use the touch screen on most new builds coming through now.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
The question I have about the Tesla's lovely brakes is why those nerds don't put some special software on it to keep the car limited to speeds within the present confines of the braking system. Like this:

if (madeHighVelocityStopInLastTenMinutes == true) {
limitSpeed = true
}

or

if (brakesAreHot == true) {
limitSpeed = true
}

or better yet

if (gps.inResidential == true) {
maxSpeed = 25
}

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
It is very funny to me that in this day and age, the hip and modern Tesla still goes by the traditional American strategy of building a world-class powertrain attached to an afterthought of a car. I don't think it could be any more stereotypical.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Lol @tesla who by law have to put a physical hazard light button. If it was up to them it would be gesture controlled or some poo poo.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Queen Victorian posted:

By "GUI-less" do you mean no screens at all or just no using touchscreens for input but still using non-interactive screens for display? The former would be effectively impossible if you were to include all the computerized functionality found in a modern car (but would work if your only electronic things were headlights, climate control, and a radio), but I think the latter would be doable with some caveats.

I would accept screen for showing info, but for this exercise I think the requirement would be that you can execute every function without looking at the screen. My old Saab has an LCD screen and up/down buttons to switch between the 4 different views, but it could easily have four dedicated buttons.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

i own every Bionicle posted:

No, I mean to say that it’s reasonable to expect a car to have enough brake capacity to always stop safely when driven normally, somewhat spiritedly, and from top speed a couple of times in succession, but the constant abuse of track driving will kill the brakes of most street cars. I’m trying to figure out how bad they really are on the Plaid.

For the record, I think the Plaid being as cheap, fast, and unsorted as it is, while clearly being marketed towards non-car people, is extremely irresponsible and quite on brand for Tesla. It should have better suspension, aero, brakes, and tires, and should be able to stop quicker than it accelerates.

It’s $/£130k isn’t it?!

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

smooth jazz posted:

Lol @tesla who by law have to put a physical hazard light button. If it was up to them it would be gesture controlled or some poo poo.

Gesture controlled? Please. They would write a process that would, based on sensor data and their algorithm, turn on the hazard lights as it sees fit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bape Culture posted:

It’s $/£130k isn’t it?!

Yes, but it accelerates as fast as a Bugatti Veyron, carries as many passengers as a Rolls royce Phantom, Stops in a shorter distances than a Volvo VNL, and they're like $2m combined, it's a bargain!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Goober Peas posted:

Or being absolutly realistic and knowing a long list of cars that have perfectly serviceable brakes on the road that melt down on the track.

quote:

A mandatory part of being a huge Tesla stan?

Even the most forgiving poster in AI shits on Tesla when it's called for.

My *real* opinion is there's a whole line of excessively fast, poorly engineered cars out there and the Plaid is just another sad example of an industry that gives no fucks about dropping yet another dangerously fast product into unskilled and careless hands. This is exactly the kind of car where even if the right brakes, cages, safety gear, tyres I'd be steering hard clear of - it's too loving fast for even resonably skilled hands. It's a numbers wankfest for the techbros at their Soylent cafe because they want to feel more virile swinging their tiny dick. That said, the brakes are still fine for daily driving - if you want to go fast, then get the brake package that can support it.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

We interrupt your new car discussion to bring you a Sheep Game Update! (click here to play today!)

We're just under two weeks to the deadline of December 20th to get your Sheep Game entries in, and so far we are way down on entries compared to normal - the last two years we've had over 60 participants, this year we are on track for less than 40...this is disappointing AI, we can do better than this! Come take part in this end of the year tradition and have a little fun with your fellow posters, as we've done for the last seven years!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Powershift posted:

Yes, but it accelerates as fast as a Bugatti Veyron, carries as many passengers as a Rolls royce Phantom, Stops in a shorter distances than a Volvo VNL, and they're like $2m combined, it's a bargain!

I don’t know who’s joking any more I hate electric!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dk2m
May 6, 2009
It is really weird for me to admit that a 1000hp car is genuinely unlikeable but Tesla managed it. I do agree that it is way too fast - I doubt I could drive that thing well, let alone someone who has never triggered their ABS before