Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
What tires do you guys recommend with a Golf?

I have quite a bit of time until I need them for both cars, but I have grown to loathe Achilles (they will tear at the shoulder). My car came with 4 Achilles 868s and ALL FOUR ripped at the shoulder after 15k miles. The tires felt pretty grippy and they were also a very hard rubber so I had virtually no tread-wear on them. I had no alignment or suspension problems. Standard highway/city driving. Replaced for free but with Hankooks. Nothing special.

My other has Yokohamas. Nothing special.

Considering going Michelin or Continental next time for quality of ride and performance. Thoughts?

My SportWagen would be our travel car so comfort and quietness is preferred.

My standard Golf is a daily driver but I want it to handle a little sportier and quietness and smoothness isn’t as big of a deal.

On my old car I had Firestone all season tires and they are solid. Nothing special, though.

Recommendations based on ride quality and tire quality appreciated.

Edit: Hydroplane resistance big plus. It is wet and swampy here often, with tidal flooding.

OEM from VW are Continental/Pirelli right? I think the GTI is Continental.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Conti extremecontact are a great compromise. I think they renamed them but I use the Extremecontact DW and have dedicated snow tires.

I daily drive these but have also used them in track events and they're totally fine there too. Great hydroplane resistance when they're not bald like mine are now.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Conti extremecontact are a great compromise. I think they renamed them but I use the Extremecontact DW and have dedicated snow tires.

I daily drive these but have also used them in track events and they're totally fine there too. Great hydroplane resistance when they're not bald like mine are now.

Hydroplane resistance big plus. It is wet and swampy here often, with tidal flooding.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

dialhforhero posted:

I have quite a bit of time until I need them for both cars, but I have grown to loathe Achilles (they will tear at the shoulder). My car came with 4 Achilles 868s and ALL FOUR ripped at the shoulder after 15k miles. The tires felt pretty grippy and they were also a very hard rubber so I had virtually no tread-wear on them. I had no alignment or suspension problems. Standard highway/city driving. Replaced for free but with Hankooks. Nothing special.

Considering going Michelin or Continental next time for quality of ride and performance. Thoughts?

My standard Golf is a daily driver but I want it to handle a little sportier and quietness and smoothness isn’t as big of a deal.

On my old car I had Firestone all season tires and they are solid. Nothing special, though.

Edit: Hydroplane resistance big plus. It is wet and swampy here often, with tidal flooding.

Look into the Pilot Sport A/S - they last longer and aren't as expensive as the PS4S and will be more tolerant to cold. They don't rate very well in Snow, but have high marks for wet weather performance

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+3%2B

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Thanks. It rarely snows where I live. Will do.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Holy gently caress that sucks James, people are loving pricks

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

MunchE posted:

Look into the Pilot Sport A/S - they last longer and aren't as expensive as the PS4S and will be more tolerant to cold. They don't rate very well in Snow, but have high marks for wet weather performance

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+3%2B

The recent Tyre Reviews on them actually had them doing surprisingly well in snow.

https://youtu.be/OjhAURyz_s4

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Got my new Golf inspected. The steering wheel click/knock was found and it was a loose bolt in a universal joint from the steering column. Got that fixed and now she is perfect to take.

By perfect I mean goddamn it now I have to get the DSG serviced because it is at 80k OF COURSE!!!

But she’s good to go!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

At least the knock wasn’t anything too major. Curious, sure, but not alarming. DSG service shouldn’t be too costly either in the grand scheme of things. FWIW, there are DIY kits out there. I totally understand if you have zero interest in that, especially if it’s winter proper like it is here now. You absolutely should stay on top of that service item though.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

dialhforhero posted:

Which Golf? My GTI came with Potenzas which were okay but when they wore I put a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 on as I like the rim protectors on them. I’m now on PS4s and they are the best so far in terms of grip and handling in my opinion.

We also have a 1.5TSi and that’s got Goodyear Efficient Grip on which are comfy and quiet. Not sure about hard driving as that’s not what that car gets a lot of mind you.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I have a Golf TDI S. Stock alloy wheel atm the 16”ers.

The SportWagen TDI SE has the 17”ers.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
does VW hate remote start as a concept, or is that just on the Golf platform?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Styles Bitchley posted:

does VW hate remote start as a concept, or is that just on the Golf platform?
No VAG products come with remote start. I have no idea why. BMW and MB put factory remote start on their vehicles.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Maybe they're trying to keep their necks off the environmentalists' chopping blocks for the time being.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
You may be surprised to find that idling your car without intent to drive it for a period of time is actually illegal in many states in the USA.

How it get enforced is something else, but the laws do exist.

So yeah, maybe they decided “let’s not fan the flames”.

Also: of all things to pay a stupid premium for, I could go without remote start.

Also another electrical component.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 8, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'd be curious for people who live in like... block heater zones, do they come with remote starts in those areas?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

In Europe you can get parking heaters which use the vehicle’s fuel to run a little burner which heats the coolant. An electric pump circulates the coolant so the whole block warms up. They can be run off a timer or by a remote. They also have electric versions. In North America they’re usually only seen on big rigs.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

dialhforhero posted:

You may be surprised to find that idling your car without intent to drive it for a period of time is actually illegal in many states in the USA.

Because people leave their cars running while they run into the store, and when they come ou.. HEY WHERE'S MY CAR???

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Where’s your car, dude?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

I'd be curious for people who live in like... block heater zones, do they come with remote starts in those areas?

~20 years ago I lived in northern Canada where -30c was the mean temperature in the winter. It was normal for the company trucks to be left running for months at a time. You just didn't switch them off otherwise good luck getting them started again.

We would plug a hairdryer into the block heater outlet and blow warm air into the intake of my roommate's Geo Metro for 15 minutes so it would start. Then we'd scrape ice from the inside of the windshield.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

smooth jazz posted:

~20 years ago I lived in northern Canada where -30c was the mean temperature in the winter. It was normal for the company trucks to be left running for months at a time. You just didn't switch them off otherwise good luck getting them started again.

We would plug a hairdryer into the block heater outlet and blow warm air into the intake of my roommate's Geo Metro for 15 minutes so it would start. Then we'd scrape ice from the inside of the windshield.

Oh poo poo yeah I'm in Vancouver where we get about a week of snow a year.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

JamesOff posted:

Can I get the person who did this exorcised? Or eviscerated maybe?

\

I'm still lamenting this, thoughts and prayers. Any luck with tracking em down, or what repair looks like? Love how those things look; been playing a bunch of new Forza and I can't stop driving the Corrado in there.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Mr. Apollo posted:

No VAG products come with remote start. I have no idea why. BMW and MB put factory remote start on their vehicles.

VAG absolutely has remote start on some cars, the Atlas for example on the key fob. I was thinking they had it as a pay option on the phone app as well for some models.

i don't get why a $45k Golf variant with poo poo like adaptive suspension and moving headlights can't have something that does the same function as pressing a button. dumb

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Maybe I'm missing something or things don't always work the same way as where I live but don't you just pay your insurance deductible and have that fixed?

e: The corrado

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

If the roof is dented that might be totaled. But here at least comprehensive coverage that would cover that isn’t mandatory. Also like having to do bodywork on a car hurts even if not paying personally :(

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

VelociBacon posted:

Maybe I'm missing something or things don't always work the same way as where I live but don't you just pay your insurance deductible and have that fixed?

e: The corrado

pay money (who knows how high the deductible is but hundred to thousands of dollars) to fix a lovely thing someone else did for no reason and probably have your rates increased to boot. It's a lot of money and unnecessary hassle because somebody decided to be an rear end in a top hat. It sucks all around. This guy didn't do anything to deserve this and we have no idea what his financial situation is like and what it will take to get back to where it was before. If it was a 3 year old camry it would suck less but who knows what parts availability is like for a cool lower volume older car like that.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!
Taking it to a body shop tomorrow to get a quote for my insurance to (hopefully) approve. This is the body shop who fixed all the bodywork up over the last two years to make it look as good as it did in the “before” pic I posted. I have some pics of while it was in when they sanded it all down and fixed a lot of rust and stuff which I’ll post when I’m home.

Hoping the insurance will cover it and not write it off, likely to come down to how bad the roof is; can probably source a replacement bonnet from a scrap yard. Also hoping the sunroof mechanism isn’t screwed where they stood on it. The bumper and spoiler look to just have scratches in the paint.

I’m extremely fortunate to be in the position to be able to cover repairs if my insurance won’t (assuming it’s not crazy), but I spent quite a bit over the last two years getting the aforementioned bodywork done, and the next project was going to be getting the engine stripped down and rebuilt, so I could do without paying to fix the bodywork again.

No dice on any cctv coverage so nothing happening police-wise, which isn’t a surprise but I was hoping.

Utter shits, why would you do something like that. It was just parked up :( it’s been a project car for years and I think I’m going to cry just thinking about it again

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Bro I would be pissed even if it was a lovely beater, because it’s YOUR lovely beater. Your property is yours!

A project car of course is worse. Have a cry man. Get some Schnapps.

It helps.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Styles Bitchley posted:

VAG absolutely has remote start on some cars, the Atlas for example on the key fob. I was thinking they had it as a pay option on the phone app as well for some models.

i don't get why a $45k Golf variant with poo poo like adaptive suspension and moving headlights can't have something that does the same function as pressing a button. dumb
Thats weird. I know none of the Audis have it and the Golfs and Jettas don’t either. Maybe because the Atlas is North American only?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Were TDI wagons ever available in the States with AWD? A coworker today commented on my Alltrack that he wished they had made a TDI version and it made me realize I don't think I've ever seen a TDI AWD Sportwagen.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
So the low coolant warning came on in my 2021 TT RS (now with 9,000 miles). I took a look at the reservoir and it was about an inch below the min level, topped it up with tap water, and it seems to be fine now. Haven't tracked the car recently or otherwise driven it particularly hard. Do you all think this is something to try and get diagnosed (& fix) or would you just leave it?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Mr. Apollo posted:

Thats weird. I know none of the Audis have it and the Golfs and Jettas don’t either. Maybe because the Atlas is North American only?

Apparently VW has done remote start in the US since 2011?

https://youtu.be/1n6hf3adNqk&t=45s

However, my top-of-the-line Golf with kessy keyless entry & push-button ignition didn't ever come with an option for remote start, and the price of doing it aftermarket makes lighting money on fire to warm up seem economical.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Styles Bitchley posted:

The same reason you don't get a volume knob.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

NoWake posted:

Apparently VW has done remote start in the US since 2011?

https://youtu.be/1n6hf3adNqk&t=45s

However, my top-of-the-line Golf with kessy keyless entry & push-button ignition didn't ever come with an option for remote start, and the price of doing it aftermarket makes lighting money on fire to warm up seem economical.
Wow. I know a few people with newer VWs and they’ve mentioned a few times they wish the cars came with remote start.

I added it to my Audi for $400 with a plug and play iDatastart system. It even had the option of adding remote start via a smartphone app.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

got off on a technicality posted:

So the low coolant warning came on in my 2021 TT RS (now with 9,000 miles). I took a look at the reservoir and it was about an inch below the min level, topped it up with tap water, and it seems to be fine now. Haven't tracked the car recently or otherwise driven it particularly hard. Do you all think this is something to try and get diagnosed (& fix) or would you just leave it?

It’d be worth getting checked out. I’d refrain from filling it with tap water in the future too.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!
Corrado update: bodyshop doesn't think the roof is a problem; likely to need a new bonnet (which shouldn't be too much), so looking promising.

Here's a couple of pics from the work they did on it last year as promised, it was definitely comprehensive. They kept finding random patches of lovely repairs I had no idea where there from before I owned it heh

Thanks for the good thoughts folks :)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm glad you're getting it sorted. It's poo poo that you have to go through that, though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

got off on a technicality posted:

My last 2 VW’s both needed coolant topped off like once a year or so with no sort of visibly leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tyro posted:

Were TDI wagons ever available in the States with AWD? A coworker today commented on my Alltrack that he wished they had made a TDI version and it made me realize I don't think I've ever seen a TDI AWD Sportwagen.

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

That owns JamesOff. Hope it is able to be fixed mostly painlessly. It’s a loving sweet car that deserves to be saves :3: