Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

kater posted:

what did people even do before plastics I don’t get it

well their dicks were bigger so probably gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
They shared.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

*chewing on credit card* You mean there's a better way?!

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8s5S8SCZjk

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

kater posted:

we used hot sterilization on glass and metals for basically anything that needed to be super clean.

People brought their own cups and spoons and poo poo in those igloo lunch boxes with their lunches and poo poo.

The whole single use plastics industry was wholey invented out of loving thin air 60 years ago. It's kind of impressive how loving fast we adapted to it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

kater posted:

who knows. i guess they probably sucked n hosed and ate cactus and fungus. sounds boring to me tho, i love c o n s u m i n g. it feels so good to purchase doodads and junk.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

silicone thrills posted:

we used hot sterilization on glass and metals for basically anything that needed to be super clean.

People brought their own cups and spoons and poo poo in those igloo lunch boxes with their lunches and poo poo.

The whole single use plastics industry was wholey invented out of loving thin air 60 years ago. It's kind of impressive how loving fast we adapted to it.

um actually did you know humans have been around for thousands of years therefore

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
tbf plastics have enabled a metric poo poo ton of modern technology, especially medical technology and electronics obviously.

but it should have been used sparingly for anywhere it wasn’t necessary

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Femur posted:

They shared.

:catstare:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Tabletops posted:

tbf plastics have enabled a metric poo poo ton of modern technology, especially medical technology and electronics obviously.

but it should have been used sparingly for anywhere it wasn’t necessary
alas, there were profits to be made

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol the first microwave meal didnt appear until 1953 and these days thats a ton of the single use plastic - poo poo we microwave.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

before plastic, when you bought food I dunno... either unpackaged, or in cardboard, wood etc. ?

munce
Oct 23, 2010

https://gizmodo.com/were-a-step-closer-to-geoengineering-the-oceans-1848179300
We're a Step Closer to Geoengineering the Oceans
The National Academy of Sciences released a major report chronicling six techniques to turn the oceans into carbon dioxide vacuums.

All techniques have multiple hurdles to overcome, ranging from feasibility to regulatory. ... Those hurdles, along with ones of equity and respecting tribal treaty rights, and risks all matter. But they don’t outweigh the need to explore how to suck carbon dioxide from the sky.

... it’s also a chance to make some people fabulously rich, if the private sector has its way. Removing about 10 gigatons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere annually by midcentury means this could be a $1 trillion per year industry.

That means governments will need to set an agenda, engage citizens, and create regulations to ensure we don’t end up with a bunch of rogue for-profit companies driving the bus.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

actionjackson posted:

before plastic, when you bought food I dunno... either unpackaged, or in cardboard, wood etc. ?

mostly paper. it's biodegradable, sustainable, etc etc.

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god

munce posted:

set an agenda,

lol

munce posted:

engage citizens,

lmao

munce posted:

and create regulations to ensure we don’t end up with a bunch of rogue for-profit companies driving the bus.

lol, lmao

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Cups in the office now have individual plastic sleeves rather than one sleeve for the stack. And they're all too big for the cup.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Worried about how bad things will get as civilization slowly collapses from climate change?

Don't be, warm autumns are delaying trees going dormant for winter. If you kept bonsai you know how important it is it to let them go dormant for winter. Many a beginner has killed theirs keeping it indoors all year round. They won't survive more than a few years without their natural dormancy period.

While you may have been worried how bad things would get as nations slipped into fascism as civilization slowly collapsed. Now you can rest in the knowledge things may fall apart over a much short time frame than we thought.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/article/fall-foliage-disrupted-by-climate-change-might-be-new-normal

quote:

“We ought to be concerned potentially, not just about timing of change for autumn, but whether or not it portends some forest collapse,” says George Mason University ecologist Rebecca Forkner. “While nobody wants to be the ‘sky is falling’ kind of person, we do understand these changes are the plants telling us something is not right.”

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Cups in the office now have individual plastic sleeves rather than one sleeve for the stack. And they're all too big for the cup.
poisoning the biosphere, safely

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
microplastics will be one of those numenera plot points if humanity scrapes out of its own shithole

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
microplastic=midichlorians

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

that sure is a bag of noodles

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

"no context noodles" would be a good username

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Shifty Nipples posted:

"no context noodles" would be a good username

might change mine to microplastic balls

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

They ran out of coated cardboard boxes for the takeout, eh?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

munce posted:

https://gizmodo.com/were-a-step-closer-to-geoengineering-the-oceans-1848179300
We're a Step Closer to Geoengineering the Oceans
The National Academy of Sciences released a major report chronicling six techniques to turn the oceans into carbon dioxide vacuums.

All techniques have multiple hurdles to overcome, ranging from feasibility to regulatory. ... Those hurdles, along with ones of equity and respecting tribal treaty rights, and risks all matter. But they don’t outweigh the need to explore how to suck carbon dioxide from the sky.

... it’s also a chance to make some people fabulously rich, if the private sector has its way. Removing about 10 gigatons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere annually by midcentury means this could be a $1 trillion per year industry.

That means governments will need to set an agenda, engage citizens, and create regulations to ensure we don’t end up with a bunch of rogue for-profit companies driving the bus.

what's the one that peter wadhams supports where they have some platforms or whatever in the ocean that use turbines to uh... blow salt water into the clouds? or something

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
have you all considered that we can just invest our way out of this crisis? vote with your dollars.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Complications posted:

They ran out of coated cardboard boxes for the takeout, eh?

I’ve never gotten pho or ramen not in a little plastic bag like that, probably a bag inside of a styrofoam container

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
there was a podcast posted in this thread in the last week or two that i listened to two episodes of and they were good but i lost it and i can't even find the post in this thread does anyone have any idea what i'm talking about

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Hubbert posted:

have you all considered that we can just invest our way out of this crisis? vote with your dollars.

working at a tech company, what i hear consistently is "eh i'm not worried, some company will hit a tech breakthrough and solve climate change"

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS

500 good dogs posted:

working at a tech company, what i hear consistently is "eh i'm not worried, some company will hit a tech breakthrough and solve climate change"

“Tech breakthrough solution” of just lighting the atmosphere on fire and being done with it.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
nuke yellowstone

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

500 good dogs posted:

there was a podcast posted in this thread in the last week or two that i listened to two episodes of and they were good but i lost it and i can't even find the post in this thread does anyone have any idea what i'm talking about

radio ecoshock, I presume

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

500 good dogs posted:

you might have it confused with a different thread, because i have no idea what you're talking about and i pretty much only read this thread and the kissinger thread

soundsection
May 10, 2010
might have also been https://ashesashes.org/

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

radio ecoshock, I presume

yes tyvm

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y2SIIeqy34

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

20,000 years of this, 7 more to go

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

the hardest part of a race is the finish, but I believe we can do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

so like what is the plastic inside of us doing to us?

what if it's changing us? and we end up with mutants running around. could get to tick off another apocalypse type though.

why is this not more of a big deal