Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Never has for us. I mean I get that there are people who absolutely insist on playing any game 100% rules as written and would not enjoy it as much if you have to house rule something but a) the game doesn't fall apart if you play that way as evidenced by the numerous completed campaign playthroughs with unmodified rules and b) in terms of play time, ignoring those events is affecting less than 1% of the game. At least for myself if I find 99% of something excellent and 1% poo poo, it doesn't much effect my enjoyment if I just ignore or remove that 1%.

Safe to say though it's a good game to avoid if you hate the idea of having to house rule at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If a game is improved by house ruling, that means the original game designer is worse at his job than a random player.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Jedit posted:

If a game is improved by house ruling, that means the original game designer is worse at his job than a random player.

Or that the player has different goals from the designer, eg hidden trackable information.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

taser rates posted:

Or that the player has different goals from the designer, eg hidden trackable information.

I wouldn't call revealing hidden trackable information a house ruling in most cases. You can always tell everyone else things that normally only you would know even if you are hiding the information. The "House rule" just a gentleman's agreement that you will all do it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

!Klams posted:

I backed this game on Kickstarter called Townsfolk Tussle that has a really really similar aesthetic to cuphead, because I thought the game itself looked neat, and then all the reviews were like "it's KDM, but as a Tex Avery cartoon!". Having never played KDM I obviously have no idea, but it seems like there's a bunch of people like the play style of KDM but don't necessarily want to spend thousands on mutilated titty minis?

This looks :krad:, thanks for the pointer.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jurassic Park Legacy

March 2022 launch date on KS - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/prosperohall/jurrassic-world-the-legacy-of-isla-nublar
$120 usd

https://www.polygon.com/tabletop-games/22821038/jurassic-world-legacy-of-isla-nublar-preview-kickstarter-launch-date-price

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

That sounds interesting but, uh, the creators' résumé is... a little... worrying.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Who could doubt the company that produces Funkopops?!

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I thought that Villainous, Horrified and even the Fast and Furious games had decent reputations, albeit as light games. Which maybe doesn't bode well for a solid legacy game but it's a better pedigree than I would have expected.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
120$ lol

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

nonathlon posted:

I thought that Villainous, Horrified and even the Fast and Furious games had decent reputations, albeit as light games. Which maybe doesn't bode well for a solid legacy game but it's a better pedigree than I would have expected.

There’s also pan am, and the funko game is supposed to be legit. For mass market names, prospero hall is a name I’ve come to trust.

Edit:
Oh $120 nope

Mighty Eris fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 8, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah I'll be backing Weather Machine for $129, but it's also made by Lacerda + O'Toole + Eagle-Gryphon Games and the production value is through the roof.

I'll be curious to see what's in Jurassic Legacy, and one of my friends is a huge dino-nerd, but yeaaaaahhhhh that's a steep AF entry point.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Oh wow a big box kickstarter game filled with plastic garbage can’t wait to jump in!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

"When Dinosaurs Rui*ed tEarth"

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Yeah I'll be backing Weather Machine for $129, but it's also made by Lacerda + O'Toole + Eagle-Gryphon Games and the production value is through the roof.

And for only $120 more, you can get express shipping

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
What I really want is Uwe Rosenberg guest-designing KDM making a dino park game

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I know I'm just a random guy on the internet, but I did a ton of playtesting work on Jurassic Park Legacy and while I agree the price tag is higher than it should be (I told the producer that), the game is quite solid and has pretty great legacy elements.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

A legacy game for a franchise that gets worse the longer it goes on, sounds like some good synergy there.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I hope there's a soft reboot mechanism where they give you a repeat of the first scenario but in slightly different words.

And a Trespasser stage making it a dexterity game.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I think Meadow does a nice "light" legacy element and that's as you go through the game and achieve certain milestones throughout the game either passive (open on this day) or active (open when a player plays X of Y or whatever) you get to add new cards and things to the game. Not only does this recreate the dopamine hit from revealing new and previously secret things to a game you're already playing like in a purer legacy game, but it also kind of lets you drip feed out newer and more complex combos and mechanics based on the fact that if someone achieved the previously more difficult ones, they can handle the new ones too.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Mighty Eris posted:

There’s also pan am, and the funko game is supposed to be legit. For mass market names, prospero hall is a name I’ve come to trust.

Edit:
Oh $120 nope

Yeah, Prospero Hall has a surprising number of interesting games and I'm now curiously interested in Jurassic Legacy. Not $120 interested but that could apply to so many Kickstarters. And it doesn't my seem to deter a lot of backers - there's many high ticket games with desultory gameplay.

Doesn't PH have some strange production model where everything is credited to the studio and not individuals?

On recent plays, got Brew to the table. Has a thin thematic resemblance to Pokémon but if you look past than, it's a decent light area majority and collection game that plays fast.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Can’t wait to see that Jurassic Park game in clearance bins everywhere.

Zkoto
Dec 9, 2004
Any thoughts on a good gaming table? I currently have a 1.5m square dinner table i have co-opted for gaming, but those fancy felt table sure look great.
Anyone have any experience with them? I live in Australia so that will prob limit what I can get and all. I looked at a few rando webpages selling them, and holy poo poo are they expensive, but as something to save up to, it should be doable.

If there was some discussion already about them, feel free just to point me at it, this thread is very large.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Any recommendations for a good dudes-on-a-map/4x/war or heavy interaction strategy game (not co-op)? Something for people who like: Inis, Civ, Civ A New Dawn, Kemet, Eclipse, Twilight Imperium, Forbidden Stars, Clash of Cultures, Dune, Dune Imperium, Cthulu Wars.
Bonus points for good production values and, playtime < 4 hours and plays well with only 3 players.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

uncle blog posted:

Any recommendations for a good dudes-on-a-map/4x/war or heavy interaction strategy game (not co-op)? Something for people who like: Inis, Civ, Civ A New Dawn, Kemet, Eclipse, Twilight Imperium, Forbidden Stars, Clash of Cultures, Dune, Dune Imperium, Cthulu Wars.

I think... I think that's all of them.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

uncle blog posted:

Bonus points for good production values and, playtime < 4 hours and plays well with only 3 players.

Root

Maybe Chaos in the Old World

Pax Pamir 2ed if you want your dudes more esoteric.

I like War of Whispers as well but not everyone does.

These fit dudes on a map but not 4x granted.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Aramoro posted:

Pax Pamir 2ed if you want your dudes more esoteric.

For heavy interaction, 3p, and high production values this is a great choice, probably the best one not listed there already (Inis). Only problem is finding a copy.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

uncle blog posted:

Look into the GMT COIN series if you can get them maybe? Most of them are ideal with 4 or 2 though, there's one on the Finnish Civil War that plays 3 but I dunno if that ones any good (stopped paying attention to the series by that point)

I should say that of them A Distant Plain is probably the best, Fire in the Lake is more straightforwardly a wargame but might not fit in 4 hours

Broken Mind
Jan 27, 2009
Are there any plans to do another print run or what have you of Root? It doesn't seem super available these days, but I might just be bad at looking.

Edit: Hmm, nevermind, I seem to be an idiot and the designer's website has it. Ignore me.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Aramoro posted:

I like War of Whispers as well but not everyone does.

I loving love War.of Whispers.

Do recommend

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Zkoto posted:

Any thoughts on a good gaming table? I currently have a 1.5m square dinner table i have co-opted for gaming, but those fancy felt table sure look great.
Anyone have any experience with them? I live in Australia so that will prob limit what I can get and all. I looked at a few rando webpages selling them, and holy poo poo are they expensive, but as something to save up to, it should be doable.

If there was some discussion already about them, feel free just to point me at it, this thread is very large.

i built my table and it was pretty straightforward. i'd say try and find a local carpenter to make something to your specs. it'll probably be cheaper than the mass produced tables and will be light years ahead in quality. all the gaming tables i've seen are overpriced and cheaply built.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i'm through the prologue and have set up my first settlement in KDM and it's great so far.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Broken Mind posted:

Are there any plans to do another print run or what have you of Root? It doesn't seem super available these days, but I might just be bad at looking.

Edit: Hmm, nevermind, I seem to be an idiot and the designer's website has it. Ignore me.

Buy the neoprene maps too, they’re amazing. So smooth and cool.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

uncle blog posted:

The Command and Colors series. Start with Ancients and ignore the magic based one.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Orange DeviI posted:

Oh wow a big box kickstarter game filled with plastic garbage can’t wait to jump in!

I'd be more likely to back it if it had a poo poo ton of cool dino minis. But uh... 12 dinosaurs? And it's a legacy game so $120 for a throw away game. That's a steep price.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

uncle blog posted:

Omega Centauri

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

taser rates posted:

Omega Centauri

This one.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

uncle blog posted:

Blood Rage kinda fits this category.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Bottom Liner posted:

For heavy interaction, 3p, and high production values this is a great choice, probably the best one not listed there already (Inis). Only problem is finding a copy.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

uncle blog posted: