Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yomogi's relationship with yume isn't especially deep but. he has a dynamic with her. he's not just a nice guy he specifically takes time to warm up to and understand her and they joke around with each other a lot. it's one of the more real-feeling and naturalistic relationships of its kind in a robot anime. hell, in a show in general lol.

i think the worst i could say about dynazenon is that you could argue they squeeze a bit too much character stuff into the audio dramas cause koyomi and the kaiju eugenicists get a lot of good fleshing out in those and they do an interesting job digging deeper into yomogi's own problems, even giving a look at him just hanging out with his divorced dad and one scene of his mom talking about how she regrets the way things went sour between them, and also better shows how yomogi and yume bounce off each other in the aftermath of the story. the worst part of all this is that chise is still the one who gets kinda stiffed and doesn't really get a focus one.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah and Gridman's big twist was (spoilers I guess?) that the show was never ever actually about Yuta anyway
eh, he still gets about as much screentime as yomugi does, if not more, so him being boring weighs on the show regardless of whether it's intentional or not

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the audio dramas are a bit too core essential i think which is a shame but its not like they arent easily accesible and all of them together is like a 20 minute listen/read of the TLs. but even in the show itself yomogi has a pretty good dynamic with yume. you get stuff like the gag at the pool, them talking on the hillside, etc. it's clear that they actually kind of vibe with each other, that they both feel kind of left behind by their families.

and if anything id say yomogi's defining character trait is less 'nice' and more 'honest,' which contrasts more obviously with yume's deal.

frankly their relationship is established and sold better than rikka and akane's, which is also core to the series and mostly established by an ED that doesn't make sense whatsoever until like episode 9, and one scene of akane hitting on her at the beach. of course given both gridman's structure and the point that relationship is trying to make as a larger part of the story it makes sense for it to be that way, but let's not pretend that 'yuta not mattering' somehow turns all his scenes with rikka and akane into scenes *of* rikka and akane.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 9, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dogsicle posted:

the ensemble nature feels a bit weak until closer to the end tbh, Chise and Koyomi are still stiffed overall and they don't do a whole lot with the Eugenicists either (this mainly impacts Sizumu and Mujina who actually gesture to having arcs or things to say)

that's my actual complaint with it, especially when it felt like you have too many unimpressive battles and superfluous Gridman characters taking their cuts from a given episode. but the formula is the formula, the fanservice is the fanservice.

I feel like it was ok with mujina since her whole deal was that she wasn't able to let go and move on like Koyomi. It's genuinely tragic how it ends up that way and maybe giving a bit more time on that inner conflict would've been good, but I think for one of many characters in a show that's just 12 episodes long it was enough for her place in it.

Koyomi and Chise though, yeah. I'm not gonna hold my breath but I hope that if the next project is again a character drama that they try to do two cour or at least a full 14 episodes or something. I definitely agree that the battles kinda fall flat though, as much as I appreciate how they try to make everything look like rubber suit monsters the fights are basically the same length as the transformation sequences half the time. Maybe it's a sign I just don't get what they're going for but both shows bury the lede reaaallly deep.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 9, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think koyomi's eps made their point pretty clearly and the gag at the end of it made his arc entirely worth it. chise does get a raw deal tho, yeah.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
MCQUEEEEEEEEN

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

i think koyomi's eps made their point pretty clearly and the gag at the end of it made his arc entirely worth it. chise does get a raw deal tho, yeah.

while me complaining about akane/rikka or koyomi is more a question of personal taste, I genuinely don't think chise actually does anything important. I forgot she was a character until she showed up in the AL collab.

not in the Now and Then, Here and There sense where shu being there making literally no difference until the climax being kind of the point, but more like I think they realized in episode 2 they didn't have any plans for her and it was too late for her to just not appear.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 9, 2021

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

MCQUEEEEEEEEN

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

while me complaining about akane/rikka or koyomi is more a question of personal taste, I genuinely don't think chise actually does anything important. I forgot she was a character until she showed up in the AL collab.

not in the Now and Then, Here and There sense where shu being there making literally no difference until the climax being kind of the point, but more like I think they realized in episode 2 they didn't have any plans for her and it was too late for her to just not appear.

i think they like chise but were clearly stretched for time. unlike gridman where the audio dramas were mostly quick gag scenes off to the side or extended epilogues/commentaries on episodes, the dynazenon audio dramas often take place in the middle of episodes or feel like scenes that were basically just cut from it for time. there's a lot of fairly valuable information in there, as opposed to 'rikka cant drink soda' and a gag about her having a sugar daddy. so dynazenon feels like it really needed a few more episodes, but sadly anime production doesnt really allow for that, especially in its modern form. chise feels like another casualty of it.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

And they didn't even let her keep the dragon. Unbelievable!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

I feel like it was ok with mujina since her whole deal was that she wasn't able to let go and move on like Koyomi. It's genuinely tragic how it ends up that way and maybe giving a bit more time on that inner conflict would've been good, but I think for one of many characters in a show that's just 12 episodes long it was enough for her place in it.

Koyomi and Chise though, yeah. I'm not gonna hold my breath but I hope that if the next project is again a character drama that they try to do two cour or at least a full 14 episodes or something. I definitely agree that the battles kinda fall flat though, as much as I appreciate how they try to make everything look like rubber suit monsters the fights are basically the same length as the transformation sequences half the time. Maybe it's a sign I just don't get what they're going for but both shows bury the lede reaaallly deep.

i mostly just mention Mujina because like, she served more purpose compared to the two guys who basically just fill out the team dynamic (not like that's worth nothing, but ehh). in that sense she'd be on the list of characters deserving whatever spare time they could wring out of the chaff in the show, but she is also the lowest priority compared to Dynazenon team or doing more with Sizumu as an antagonist.

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Yomogi definitely kinda had a problem where most of his larger emotional conflicts were kinda just stock male MC stuff without actually that much more going on to make him interesting than, say, Yuuta, but his rapport with Yume and all of their smaller interactions and the way they gradually opened up to each other were consistently great and let me largely overlook my problems with how some of his character was handled. (Though I will say that one episode where Yume didn't show up to fight and it all got resolved with Yomogi showing up in his robot and Chise going "see, you've got a man waiting for you" actually had me saying "oh come on" out loud).

BlitznBurst fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 9, 2021

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Eh the audio drama/side material fleshing out Dynazenon is nice but it's still a flaw that the main show didn't really show it and felt like it suffered. Whereas yes Gridman's main plot didn't get fully revealed till episode 9 but all you need to get it was in the main show.

Still despite me not liking it anywhere near as much as Gridman it still may end up in my top 10 given how much summer dropped off aside from Love Live

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

BlitznBurst posted:

Yomogi definitely kinda had a problem where most of his larger emotional conflicts were kinda just stock male MC stuff without actually that much more going on to make him interesting than, say, Yuuta, but his rapport with Yume and all of their smaller interactions and the way they gradually opened up to each other were consistently great and let me largely overlook my problems with how some of his character was handled. (Though I will say that one episode where Yume didn't show up to fight and it all got resolved with Yomogi showing up in his robot and Chise going "see, you've got a man waiting for you" actually had me saying "oh come on" out loud).

that's... not what she said? the point of the scene wasn't that she had a MAN waiting for her it's that. people cared about her in general. she was pointing out that people care about yume despite what she believes about herself.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Eh the audio drama/side material fleshing out Dynazenon is nice but it's still a flaw that the main show didn't really show it and felt like it suffered. Whereas yes Gridman's main plot didn't get fully revealed till episode 9 but all you need to get it was in the main show.

i mean, that's why i mentioned it as a bit of a flaw. stuff like the scene of gauma's past just showing him and the eugenicists hanging out casually and talking about their relationships with each other and how juuga has an odd affinity for him def would have improved the show if they'd just been in there, that sets up the whole note juuga's character goes out on that isn't really established otherwise

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm still kinda surprised there never ended up being a gridman or dynazenon manga or LN after the anthologies came out, but I don't know much about how that would work out from the business side of things. Maybe the staff were satisfied with how things turned out despite particularly dynazenon feeling like stuff got cut? :shrug:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

There was a spin-off/side story manga that seemed interesting but it hasn't gotten any translation since the second chapter

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

alas i will forever be missing one

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

No Hass :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

I'm still kinda surprised there never ended up being a gridman or dynazenon manga or LN after the anthologies came out, but I don't know much about how that would work out from the business side of things. Maybe the staff were satisfied with how things turned out despite particularly dynazenon feeling like stuff got cut? :shrug:

there's a prequel manga with calibur as the star

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Still despite me not liking it anywhere near as much as Gridman it still may end up in my top 10 given how much summer dropped off aside from Love Live
yeah that stuff not being in the show is a flaw but at the same time it exists, thats better than it not existing at all, so its worth pointing out it does exist. imo. it was uploaded for free on youtube along with the episodes, its a bit sad they couldnt get it in there but it feels like its meant to be fairly accessible material.

also i liked love live but i think the kanon/keke relationship was the best part of the show by a mile and im kinda sad it leaned away from that in favor of keke and sumires comedy variety hour.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

People speculate his powers were weakened with Jonathan's body passively resisting him

Well DIO did say that was happening so I guess. That's a good theory, it's nice to have a concrete idea of how exactly Jonathan was fighting him. I always just assumed DIO had to shove more veins throughout the limbs to make it move than he should've. Granted, he was no Pillar Man though so he should've had a little more trouble controlling a body than Esidisi did popping on a new arm or taking over Suzy Q's.

dogsicle posted:

stands are just better than space ripper stingy eyes

El Burbo posted:

I mean he was pretty handily winning there until he got time stopped, why would he need to freeze jotaro too

Yeah, but I mean stack them on top of each other. Zeppeli and Dire got owned immediately trying to fight him with Hamon, how're you gonna punch someone that freezes you every time you make contact with them? And also stops time and shoots lasers from their eyes when it turns out that knives aren't enough to stop you?

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

i think the currently accepted theory is the world is dios stand and hermit purple #2 (and yes the fans do call it that) is johnathans stand. which makes it weird that 2 different joestars have the exact same stand but i guess no matter what answer you pick for this question something doesnt add up lol

Plus it's a weird situation that's never going to come up again too. If any one else gets their body hijacked by a vampire head and awakens a new type of power in their family line, then we can start drawing some conclusions. But as it stands, who knows how any of this works.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://twitter.com/ENVTubersOOC/status/1468130077267447809

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

it wouldn't have fixed chise's arc not being fleshed out, but I really think they should've let her have a cockpit inside of goldburn, so she could be with everyone else when they formed kaiser gridknight, instead of having to root from the streets

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Varinn posted:

it wouldn't have fixed chise's arc not being fleshed out, but I really think they should've let her have a cockpit inside of goldburn, so she could be with everyone else when they formed kaiser gridknight, instead of having to root from the streets
yeah it would have at least been cool. i think they were going for a 'you dont have to get in the robot to matter' thing since chise worries about being left behind, but, well, not being in the robot makes her feel less important.

maybe if you swapped chise and koyomi as one who pilots, one whos lowkey jealous about it itd work better? koyomi gets enough screentime and impacts the plot enough even on foot, like his stuff with mujina. i guess youd have to tack goldburn onto him too so this idea doesnt quite work but you get what i mean.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
https://twitter.com/srw_dd_pr/status/1468868017975029761
Pac-Man in Super Robot Wars

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Oh I thought this was the SRW30 stream tomorrow, not DD, that really got me surprised for a second lmao

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Watching Golden Kamuy three years late and the first half of this scene killed me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2_Pyc8cnIk

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLg8GmSv6_o

HoloEN can't have 3d debut s/concerts due to cover/covid? Do it themself - this is first concert using Ame's new "holoEN virtual studio", and Watson is going to be the camera operator for the concert

edit: Also Cali is releasing a jazz lofi album of her original songs and she did an impromptu concert in her outfit reveal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm7DGv7KnDY&t=4938s

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Inshallah next year they will make a new vtuber thread so I never have to be exposed to this perversity again

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Vtubers ftw

This tier of vtuber posting, however, ftl

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

GorfZaplen posted:

Inshallah next year they will make a new vtuber thread so I never have to be exposed to this perversity again

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Virtual tubers? I prefer my french fries in meatspace, thank you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dear chairman mao, my people yearn for freedom

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Saagonsa posted:

Vtubers ftw

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/duraritas/status/1468638930899812352?s=20

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saagonsa posted:

Vtubers ftw

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the vtuber thread WILL return in 21 days, and fail posting inside it will be illegal

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Can't believe Crunchyroll have fixed their literally unusable manga app after literally years, with the understated update description 'Bug fixes and performance improvements'

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Polsy posted:

Can't believe Crunchyroll have fixed their literally unusable manga app after literally years, with the understated update description 'Bug fixes and performance improvements'

No way, I've been using their mobile app because it was miles ahead of their desktop integration, and you're telling me it actually doesn't suck now?

Holy poo poo I can actually read a manga now.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
wow I'd basically given up on the stuff I was reading there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Netflix Bebop has been cancelled.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1469083268133785600?t=2XrSe-NWqeXx-CmBMct-iA&s=19