Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

silicone thrills posted:

so true story about how bad medical data reporting is:

I used to work for a rather large cancer research center in the central IT department.

The loving FDA required us to have the ability to use IE6 compatible webpages to fill in forms. Not even shittin you. This was in 2016.
Luckily at the enterprise level you can throw IE into specific modes as they hit various pages so we just had a really large list of exceptions in our group policies.

The 2003 access db comment i made above also wasnt a joke.

lol better than financial services where lumbering old mainframe apps keep cobol programmers on a sprint-by-sprint life support, eternally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

But I thought you needed 60 votes to pass anything???

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
pfc self probied until after december or w/e

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I wonder how many cobol programmers covid has killed. it has to be dozens (most of the labor pool)

mystes
May 31, 2006

papersack posted:

That only applies to good things. You only need 1 vote to pass bad things.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Korean Boomhauer posted:

pfc self probied until after december or w/e

he has like 18 days left and I'm still in awe of the timing

mystes
May 31, 2006

fosborb posted:

he has like 18 days left and I'm still in awe of the timing
PFC is the Hari Seldon of our time. He will appear to give an unhinged rant in our moment of need before self-probing for another 6 months.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Skim Milk posted:

based covid thread,

I love you all and you have kept me safe all this time, but now I need you. I've got some 3M auras and I just don't feel like they are sealed enough.

I have some KN95s who seem super sealed, but the ear loops are very tight. Clean shaven I'm not getting the same sensation of the KN95 but I've also read that N95 respirators have better breathing characteristics than other respirators. The KN95 moves 1:1 as a diagram with my breath, but the clean shaven seal of a 3M aura's movement isn't as drastic. How can I confidently test the deal of my 3m aura n95s?

Thanks,

Your pal, Skim Milk <3

PS free pfc, free alec

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/765578O/3m-aura-9400-series-disposable-respirators-fitting-poster.pdf?fn=Aura9400FittingPoster.pdf

not quite the same aura you likely have, but this should help you get a decent test.

I’ve found my auras / other N95s barely move.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Lastgirl posted:

:cheers:

it's bigger than that, americans are captive people who are cosplay citizens, they believe they're citizens, but they're just trapped in a snowglobe of zoo people consumerism filled with suburbia commutes and liminal spaces of shopping centers slathered in asphalt with metal cages that lumber and smash into people every day with impunity. what we are witnessing is just a rot, systemic. It has nothing to do with people individually, but collectively. Bizarrely so, when we espouse individuality over collectivism as some kind of inverse projection because we have to invent problems to modern solutions such as post-scarcity as we drift endlessly on this rock as insipidly dull, yet horrendously banally monstrously evil creatures try to trap your finite given time into debt/work instead of vibing.

:rms:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
supply chain poo poo has come for my medication. this is going to be a fun time woo

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Raskolnikov38 posted:

thats for fuckin' true. i gave 0 shits about china until non-leftists lost their goddamn minds over transparent lies

Same except then I dove deeper and realized that Xi is a dedicated Marxist, Deng was absolutely right and China has likely already won the coming conflict.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

I over exaggerated being sick last week just so I could work from home 99% of the week. My reasoning was that people who gathered for Thanksgiving would be showing some symptoms by the time I went back to in person this week, so it'd be easier for me to discern who to stay the gently caress away from. Unfortunately my supervisor knows me pretty well. But I think she also let's me get away with being the "insane" covid guy. We discussed my health for awhile, thankfully keep testing negative for covid, and afterwards she cheerfully said "plus it's been enough days since Thanksgiving so the people who are sick would most likely be showing symptoms." I played it off like she made a super good point but I think she knows what I did there.

I'm taking 16 days off in a row soon though and it's going to be loving glorious provided I don't catch covid lol. It'd be polite of covid if it waited until after my 16 days off so then I can take our special plague PTO and just gently caress off for another two weeks and/or die. At least my kid is fully vaxxed now. Gunna wait and see how Omicron plays out some first before I send him back to in person learning though.

I know people prob don't follow my covid live journal, but it's just been surreal. I went from being almost fired to "eh whatever you're cool" AND got a raise all within a few months. I don't know wtf is even going on anymore. Sure that's cool but I still have terrible depression and people I know keep dying so lol lmao?

They are churning through a lot of social workers. I can see some of the new/young ones go into shock when they start out now. One came in pouring sweat and was going to her desk, but just sort of stopped and stood there staring into nothing. Even with masks I could tell she was in some kind of hellscape and she stood there just completely gone for what felt like forever. I get emails from other workers/therapists that just ramble on and on in some adrenaline fueled manic meltdown. This is poo poo I did in 2020 so I'll see them in hell lol.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Goobish posted:

I over exaggerated being sick last week just so I could work from home 99% of the week. My reasoning was that people who gathered for Thanksgiving would be showing some symptoms by the time I went back to in person this week, so it'd be easier for me to discern who to stay the gently caress away from. Unfortunately my supervisor knows me pretty well. But I think she also let's me get away with being the "insane" covid guy. We discussed my health for awhile, thankfully keep testing negative for covid, and afterwards she cheerfully said "plus it's been enough days since Thanksgiving so the people who are sick would most likely be showing symptoms." I played it off like she made a super good point but I think she knows what I did there.

I'm taking 16 days off in a row soon though and it's going to be loving glorious provided I don't catch covid lol. It'd be polite of covid if it waited until after my 16 days off so then I can take our special plague PTO and just gently caress off for another two weeks and/or die. At least my kid is fully vaxxed now. Gunna wait and see how Omicron plays out some first before I send him back to in person learning though.

I know people prob don't follow my covid live journal, but it's just been surreal. I went from being almost fired to "eh whatever you're cool" AND got a raise all within a few months. I don't know wtf is even going on anymore. Sure that's cool but I still have terrible depression and people I know keep dying so lol lmao?

They are churning through a lot of social workers. I can see some of the new/young ones go into shock when they start out now. One came in pouring sweat and was going to her desk, but just sort of stopped and stood there staring into nothing. Even with masks I could tell she was in some kind of hellscape and she stood there just completely gone for what felt like forever. I get emails from other workers/therapists that just ramble on and on in some adrenaline fueled manic meltdown. This is poo poo I did in 2020 so I'll see them in hell lol.

jesus h christ
:smith:

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/765578O/3m-aura-9400-series-disposable-respirators-fitting-poster.pdf?fn=Aura9400FittingPoster.pdf

not quite the same aura you likely have, but this should help you get a decent test.

I’ve found my auras / other N95s barely move.

OH AND: seriously use two hands to set the nose clip. i used to just pinch with one hand and it really does seem to get a better seal when you follow the directions and use both hands.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
[COVID] i'll see them in hell lol

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/RobertMackey/status/1468680435358072835?s=20

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

hell hath no fury like a ninja turtle scorned

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

lmfao where can you get a covid test for $10!??

the cheapest i've seen binax tests are $15 at walmart

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Lacrosse posted:

Hey how did you find out about my weekend plans?

a few days ago, the local subreddit had a thread about the worst bars in the area. people posted bars that had recent pictures online of people smoking and drinking with no mask in sight.

i think that's gonna be pocketful of stones. i'll just walk into one of these bars with a fresh pack of darts, sit at the bar, order a well drink, and make some new friends.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
mildly depressed

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

mod sassinator posted:

lmao what in the gently caress happened in congress today?

https://www.king5.com/article/news/...48-4c0968791333

did the loving senate just vote to invalidate the vaccine mandate... even nabbing 2 democrats to agree to it

during a loving pandemic that is growing more and more out of control, and which has killed 800k+ americans... more americans than in all wars we fought in combined

LMFAO abolish the senate

they'll abolish your lungs first

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
LOL

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-new-omicron-variant-has-been-found-and-it-s-now-even-harder-to-identify

"A new version of the Omicron coronavirus variant was designated on Tuesday that experts say will be harder to track because of its genetics."

"That means that "the two lineages may behave differently," he said, The Guardian reported"

"While the change will make tracking harder, it is "nothing to be scared of yet" "

""I don't think there's any reason to think that the new outlier is any more of a threat than the form of Omicron that's knocking around at the moment in the UK," he said, per the Financial Times.

"But it is terribly early," he added."

hahahahahahahahaha

Also, a new solution to pass around on facebook to the antivaxxers and chuds all in one new anti-pharma "they dont want you to know about" cure!!!

"Emergent SARS-CoV-2 variants: comparative replication dynamics and high sensitivity to thapsigargin"
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/21505594.2021.2006960

""A single pre-infection priming dose of TG effectively blocked all single-variant infections and every combination (AB, AD, BD variants) of co-infection at greater than 95 percent relative to controls," write the researchers in their published paper."

Thapsia grows wild, cheap and can completely stop the virus! Its the cure the govt doesnt want you to know about!

the plant is very very deadly when consumed, so win-win!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

CodeJanitor posted:

LOL

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-new-omicron-variant-has-been-found-and-it-s-now-even-harder-to-identify

"A new version of the Omicron coronavirus variant was designated on Tuesday that experts say will be harder to track because of its genetics."

"That means that "the two lineages may behave differently," he said, The Guardian reported"

"While the change will make tracking harder, it is "nothing to be scared of yet" "

""I don't think there's any reason to think that the new outlier is any more of a threat than the form of Omicron that's knocking around at the moment in the UK," he said, per the Financial Times.

"But it is terribly early," he added."

hahahahahahahahaha

Also, a new solution to pass around on facebook to the antivaxxers and chuds all in one new anti-pharma "they dont want you to know about" cure!!!

"Emergent SARS-CoV-2 variants: comparative replication dynamics and high sensitivity to thapsigargin"
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/21505594.2021.2006960

""A single pre-infection priming dose of TG effectively blocked all single-variant infections and every combination (AB, AD, BD variants) of co-infection at greater than 95 percent relative to controls," write the researchers in their published paper."

Thapsia grows wild, cheap and can completely stop the virus! Its the cure the govt doesnt want you to know about!

the plant is very very deadly when consumed, so win-win!

"Hey Google, set up a new daily keyword search for 'hilarious thapsia death.'"

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

It continues to impress me that our lovely half assed mitigations almost completely obliterated influenza.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

External Organs posted:

It continues to impress me that our lovely half assed mitigations almost completely obliterated influenza.

only time in history it will ever be that low i bet

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Twitter poll thread full of mysterious words

https://mobile.twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1468781470953181184

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Caved and went out for vapes a few hours ago. Everyone's still maskless lol. Michigan rocks

Morbus
May 18, 2004

papersack posted:

lmao

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

mod sassinator posted:

only time in history it will ever be that low i bet

I only remember one flu case at the hospital last year and that poor gently caress had covid at the same time :sadwave:

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Elea posted:

It's 2023 and the luxurious private spa clinic is offering me vitamin D infused artisanal water. I'm here to get the full covid prevention after my 32nd exposure. Artificial ace2 receptors with the latest covid kill technology injected into my fat and bloodstream, eaten, and inhaled. Monoclonals of several common strain varieties until the tests can reveal what I may have. Paxlovid any way you want it. I chose to snort mine with some steroids and cocaine. The machine whirrs as my blood is cleaned, replaced and enhanced with AZD7442. I sink into my massage chair and press the call button for the foot masseuse. Distanant popping sounds tell me they are still trying to get in. I put on headphones.

:stonkhat::shuckyes:

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

mystes posted:

That only applies to good things. You only need 1 vote to pass bad things.

Crack-Ping

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Rhesus Pieces posted:

wait does this mean I got three full doses instead of two and a half-strength booster?

also lol

https://twitter.com/NoTheOtherJohn/status/1468648691418292226?s=20

The reporting has been... really biased, at the mildest I can describe it.

She didn't know she had been exposed. There was a gently caress-up because she has several work phones.

Did she go clubbing during COVID anyway? She sure did. She's also the one who's going "no nightlife unless you're vaccinated", and this means a lot of Sensible Men are very angry with her. Was this a bad move on her part? Given her biggest opponents are antivax / antilockdown, I doubt it.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
i havent been paying much attention because I have been under a mask mandate at work since august, but are we like a big outlier?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

A Bakers Cousin posted:

i havent been paying much attention because I have been under a mask mandate at work since august, but are we like a big outlier?

most states are 50% or less using masks according to surveys of people posted in a nice map tweet last week. the best states are about 80% mask use. a lot of the south is like 30% or less

Goobish
May 31, 2011

olives black posted:

Caved and went out for vapes a few hours ago. Everyone's still maskless lol. Michigan rocks

Michigan.txt:

Over the summer I decided gently caress it and took a class for concealed carry. Not because I care about guns, but because I'm terrified of them. And I never go outside anymore so I decided to "have fun" and face a fear. Extremely afraid of covid exposure, my communist friend said, "dude you'll have a gun, you can just shoot covid."

The gun trainer had big foot and tea party decorations everywhere. I made two bullseyes and I've never shot a pistol before. The trainer was shouting about a beautiful american eagle scenery behind me while I was making my 30 (40?) shots to qualify for a concealed carry and I'm sure that's how I was able to make the bullseyes.

I'm not loving making this up, I wasn't even the only social worker there.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Hello, yes, I'm here for the big foot and tea party?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The spirit of the bald eagle imbued you with red blooded American gun know how

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

post COVID posted:

my friend with covid has a 'smell stuck in their nose' which is a sensation i personally am excited to experience ty biden

when I lost my sense of smell for a month last year I kept "hallucinating" that I was smelling burning metal

turns out that's your default "smell" when you can't smell anything. astronauts experience this when they go into outer space or something

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

SKULL.GIF posted:

when I lost my sense of smell for a month last year I kept "hallucinating" that I was smelling burning metal

turns out that's your default "smell" when you can't smell anything. astronauts experience this when they go into outer space or something

I bet that’s what the universe actually smells like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

its ozone