Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The podcast called "Say it in Red" has gotten to Umineko. Very interesting to listen to, I don't really know if they can keep it up to 1 episode per episode once the 2 playing for the first time start realizing whats going on but kinda fun to listen to.

Umineko
I find it funny that they just immedialty accept that some magic may be real, I was 100% against it from the get go but these people seem willing to dive into it as long as it's not too fantastical.Their realization that George is the loving worst is spot on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Finally got this finished:

The Devils - A Visual Novel of WWII ... has been released:

https://deepstategames.itch.io/the-devils

The Devils is a horror story based on actual events at the end of WWII. Two Japanese soldiers struggle to make it through a deadly island swamp as the unforgivable sins of their less honorable Japanese soldier comrades come back to exact their bloody revenge.

I've dropped the price to $1.99 ....

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 14, 2021

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Video of the Intro to the Devils:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY5CmQ6ffi0

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Ghost Trick: Now this is more like it! Everyone's firing on all cylinders here, an amazing visual feast, a reasonably interesting story, the music bops, and the puzzles are fun (if trial and error reliant mid-game).

Fucks, slaps, and owns. A real shame it wasn't more of a success.

On to Dangan Ronpa and then AA:I 2

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VideoGameVet posted:

Finally got this finished:

The Devils - A Visual Novel of WWII ... has been released:

https://deepstategames.itch.io/the-devils

The Devils is a horror story based on actual events at the end of WWII. Two Japanese soldiers struggle to make it through a deadly island swamp as the unforgivable sins of their less honorable Japanese soldier comrades come back to exact their bloody revenge.

I've dropped the price to $1.99 ....

How'd this end up doing? It's not really my kind of thing but it looked kinda interesting so I bought a couple of copies on spec for friends.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Buried Stars is out on Steam now. It's a death game with kpop talent show participants. Haven't had the chance to play it yet, but I've heard good things and the art looks nice.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Buried Stars is out on Steam now. It's a death game with kpop talent show participants. Haven't had the chance to play it yet, but I've heard good things and the art looks nice.

I have this on my PSN wishlist (it almost never goes on sale), so I'd be interested to hear any thoughts. :)

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Read After Burning posted:

I have this on my PSN wishlist (it almost never goes on sale), so I'd be interested to hear any thoughts. :)

I've played it for an hour and a bit. So far, I am very much enjoying it. A couple of thoughts:

- The game comes out swinging with its themes criticising the hosed up nature of show-business, reality-tv and celebrity-fan culture. No one's even died yet but I can already tell this is going to be pretty vicious.

- The English translation seems to be a bit awkward at times, but nothing too major.

- The "talk to everyone about every keyword to progress" mechanic is feeling a bit tedious, but it's early days yet, it could get better later on.

- I like the whole social media aspect. Haven't seen that in a VN before. Basically, you can read, post and reply on the in-game Twitter Phater even as you and your fellow contestants are trapped in a life-or-death situation. And the rest of them do it too. The little bit of this I've experienced is already good but this has incredible potential. The world's first shitposting simulator.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Got my first ending in Buried Stars, after losing all sanity. Things got incredibly vicious incredibly quickly.

So far, the game is hitting all the right notes, and the characters feel way more fleshed out and real than Zero Escape or Danganronpa. The way they portray the lovely side of social media and the corrosive effect it has on people and their psyche is way too accurate. Twitter Phater sucks.

I would absolutely recommend it to anyone on the fence.

The only downside is the translation, which continues to feel awkward and definitely needs another editing pass, but tone and emotions always get across well, and that's what matters imho.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I really loved the whole vibe and story of Buried Stars. It’s relatively more grounded nature adds a lot of nuance and layers cause even if the translation isn’t perfect, there’s plenty that can be left unsaid while still speaking to the world these people are living in.

The pettiest peeve I had was that I don’t think it had the best understanding of what counts as a popular tweet for these celebs on Twitter/Phater. Like when characters are going “this jerk dissing us has almost a thousand likes! We gotta stop him!”, it’s a little silly. Boost up that number a little before committing to this bit, please.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Ooh, thank you for the write-up! :) This jumped up a few spots on my wishlist.

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

- I like the whole social media aspect. Haven't seen that in a VN before. Basically, you can read, post and reply on the in-game Twitter Phater even as you and your fellow contestants are trapped in a life-or-death situation. And the rest of them do it too. The little bit of this I've experienced is already good but this has incredible potential. The world's first shitposting simulator.

This reminds me, there was a VN that came out in Japan back in like 2013 or something for the Vita, and it never made its way over here even though I would have KILLED for it. I guess they didn't think it was worth it to localize. The name escapes me, but it was basically about calling people out and exposing them for making poo poo up to get Twitter clout.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? This is gonna drive me nuts.

Edit: NET HIGH! That was it. I wish that had come out here in the US.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 9, 2021

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

This reminds me, there was a VN that came out in Japan back in like 2013 or something for the Vita, and it never made its way over here even though I would have KILLED for it. I guess they didn't think it was worth it to localize. The name escapes me, but it was basically about calling people out and exposing them for making poo poo up to get Twitter clout.

Edit: NET HIGH! That was it. I wish that had come out here in the US.

funnily enough, there was an interview where the publisher basically said they would've loved to localize it if it weren't for the fact they would essentially have to completely re-code a lot of stuff since part of the gameplay/investigations involve live comments streaming across the screen like you see on sites like niconico and it wouldn't have worked to simply replace that text with English characters, apparently. I think it got announced as getting a Switch release (might already have happened), so maybe we might see it over here in the future, but who can say?

One that I'm sad never got localized was Exile Election, there's that one playthrough where someone basically tries to translate it on the fly while she's LPing it but I feel like it'd take forever to get anywhere (iirc the LP is in the triple digits in terms of videos) and I don't know if her translations are accurate enough that someone could maybe transcribe/"LP" it in screenshot form, either.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm actually surprised more danganronpalikes dont get localized

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Playing Scarlet Hollow thanks to https://steam250.com (which is an amazing site that I wish I had during the last steam sale) and really enjoying it. First chapter is free. They’ve released two out of an expected seven. The writing is really evocative and it uses the Inkle engine to make choices really matter. Great art as well.

Check it out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1609230/Scarlet_Hollow/

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Rewrite+ comes out tomorrow on Steam.

White Album 2 fan translation comes out next week or the week after.

Now if we could just get Aiyoku No Eustia by the end of the year this would be the best month for English VN versions in forever. (Though that’s probably coming early next year).

Crazy that 5 of the top 25 vns on VNDB didn’t have an English translation till this year, or early next depending on when Aiyoku no Eustia gets released. (And Rance 10 and Sakura No Uta will be the only ones left without a translation).

And then next year we also have Mahoutsukai No Yoru to look forward to.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 17, 2021

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

theblackw0lf posted:

White Album 2 fan translation comes out next week or the week after.

Now if we could just get Aiyoku No Eustia by the end of the year this would be the best month for English VN versions in forever. (Though that’s probably coming early next year).

Crazy that 5 of the top 25 vns on VNDB didn’t have an English translation till this year, or early next depending on when Aiyoku no Eustia gets released. (And Rance 10 and Sakura No Uta will be the only ones left without a translation).

Wait what I wasn't aware WA2 fan trans was that far, nor that Eustia was getting an English translation. I've been waiting to actually continue that since I read chapter 1.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Cyouni posted:

Wait what I wasn't aware WA2 fan trans was that far, nor that Eustia was getting an English translation. I've been waiting to actually continue that since I read chapter 1.

Yea I follow the visual novel Reddit translation status updates. WA2 translator says next week or week after. Eustia is 100 percent translated , edited and TLC. They just need to program final remaining lines and do some QC. So it should be soon.

Mahoutsukai No Yoru (which I mention in the edit) is 100 percent translated, 85 TLC and 65 percent edited so I’d expect release next year.

Mahoutsukai is supposedly Nasu’s best writing by a large margin. Even people who don’t like Fate says it’s really good.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 17, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I got Yu-no on PS4 while it's on sale. Anything I should know before going in?

(I don't mean content warnings or anything, unless you feel they're noteworthy. I just don't know if the game play includes any odd stuff like the "sending texts to pick your route" in Steins;gate.)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Play the original

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Play the original

Not a recommendation for the All-Ages thread.

In Phoenix Wright and associated games playthrough notes, I got sick of Danganronpa pretty quickly and decided to abandon it (maybe save it for a Death Game VN project). I'm going straight to AA:I 2 now.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Unless they really changed it the game itself has no place in the all ages thread.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

theblackw0lf posted:

It's been a tough road getting it ready for release, but I hope people enjoy it. It's a pretty thoughtful piece of sci-fi with a cast of distinct and likeable characters.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gaius Marius posted:

Unless they really changed it the game itself has no place in the all ages thread.

The remake doesn't have any gently caress scenes IIRC

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

kirbysuperstar posted:

The remake doesn't have any gently caress scenes IIRC

According to the Steam reviews I just checked it does however have "Not to mention the sequence where I have to molest my own teacher who is stuck at a fence in order to progress the plot by looking and touching her crotch 6x in a row... INSTEAD OF JUST HELPING HER." and "The guy bangs his daughter and mom and eats their pet who is another anime girl WTF"

So Gaius is probably right, I'd heard the usual screaming that they'd removed the heart and soul of the game by removing filth and I thought it had gone further.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got Yu-no on PS4 while it's on sale. Anything I should know before going in?

(I don't mean content warnings or anything, unless you feel they're noteworthy. I just don't know if the game play includes any odd stuff like the "sending texts to pick your route" in Steins;gate.)

Turn on the assist mode option that tells you what to do next, the only thing the remake has going over the original is not having to use a guide for the whole thing. Oh and use the original music.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They did strip out the soul, the remake looks like total garbage compared to the original.

Secondly absolutely don't use a guide. If I can do without so can you, and your robbing yourself of the cool feeling of suddenly realizing that you have the key to another route.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The puzzles/progression is almost entirely cathair-moustache garbage so use assists when you get lost imho.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Thuryl posted:

It's been a tough road getting it ready for release, but I hope people enjoy it. It's a pretty thoughtful piece of sci-fi with a cast of distinct and likeable characters.

Key doing sci-fi sounds really intriguing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

fez_machine posted:

"Not to mention the sequence where I have to molest my own teacher who is stuck at a fence in order to progress the plot by looking and touching her crotch 6x in a row... INSTEAD OF JUST HELPING HER." and "The guy bangs his daughter and mom and eats their pet who is another anime girl WTF"

Gaius Marius posted:

They did strip out the soul
:chloe:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That ain't a part they changed

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Why is this a game whose 'soul' you're invested in

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
For all its foibles it's considered an all-time classic.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Thanks, all! I may check out the original first, we will see. I'm not in any rush to play either version, as I'm still on case 3 of Great Ace Attorney 1. I just figured I'd snag Yu-no while it was on sale, as my backlog of visual novels has dropped to like, three once I finish GAA.

I also have Punch Line, which I remember getting on sale for like $8, but I heard it's...not great? (Like even beyond the conceit of trying to look at panties so the world doesn't end or whatever it is).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's .. eh, Punchlines biggest failing is that unlike most VNs there's nothing you can't get from just watching the anime version in less time with less repeating the same jokes over and over again.

When it came out people assumed the anime just covered one route but no that's the whole thing.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I just finished Umineko 1-4. 48.8 hours.
I started on the last days of November and it took a serious toll on my capacity to plan out my evenings.

drat :tviv:
Waiting for winter sales to get the second part now...

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Reports are coming in of small segments of glitched or untranslated text in Rewrite+. I'm embarrassed to admit that while we worked on it right down to the wire, some things ended up not being 100% ready for the release date. Expect post-release patches over the next few days to fix the main issues. It's out of my hands now but I am sending positive energy to the programmers.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Char posted:

I just finished Umineko 1-4. 48.8 hours.
I started on the last days of November and it took a serious toll on my capacity to plan out my evenings.

drat :tviv:
Waiting for winter sales to get the second part now...

There are parts in Part 5 that are singularly the most hype I've ever been in a game. Just an absolutely sublime experience.

You should be posting your thoughts as you play tho, mysteries are funner together

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

There are parts in Part 5 that are singularly the most hype I've ever been in a game. Just an absolutely sublime experience.

You should be posting your thoughts as you play tho, mysteries are funner together

I started on a whim and kinda isolated myself, mentally speaking, while playing. I want to avoid as many spoilers as I can.
I'm a bit too dry too to understand where the story is going, but
CIA document regarding Umineko 1, 2, 3, 4 incoming

I cannot yet piece together much of what I've seen, I'll be back on this later.

I'll have to revisit EP1 once I have dispelled some of my doubts because the only thing that I got from that episode was that Battler, somehow, chose to disbelieve actual magic being performed in front of him. I'm convinced there's a bunch of one liners and/or apparently innocent signs telling of things to piece together.

Same for EP2: the red is introduced there and sets constraints. This has to mean that the truth is deeply buried under layers of lies and subversion, and that I cannot take to face value anymore whatever's being shown to me, and that anything written in red is subject to rules of semantics, so even something proclaimed as "truth" cannot be accepted as presented.

EP3 is I start seeing emphasis on themes. It creates the story that ends up being canon. Once again - I didn't take anything at face value, until...

EP4 ties a lot together. This is where I started getting some hunches I believe in. Eva surviving is the canon story Ange follows, and her interactions with the relatives of the Rokkenjima staff tell me that the mansion is probably real, and that the mistress was probably real. I'm still not convinced the gold is real, though.

But here is where I stop trying putting pieces together because I cannot find a grounded logic to piece everything together - and specifically, why does the story try to tell me so much that magic is what saves you from unhappiness? Why the emphasis on creating a concept of "toxin" ?

What is toxic to magic is the ability and the conditions to not give in to despair, and that's why Battler, the most carefree character in the cast, is the only one who cannot be convinced that he should give in to despair.

What I'm convinced of is that
-most of what I have been seeing is a fabrication of someone's fantasy;
-magic does not exist;
-the family killing is a conspiracy;
-the island staff is on the conspiracy;
-Kinzo has always been dead the whole time;
-Beatrice and the whole fantasy are a collective product. There are too many different Beatrices, and if Beatrice's real motives lie in her testing of Battler - his inability to remember his sin - I see little reason to invest so much in Maria, except the fact that she's under intense emotional duress and can somehow fuel the fantasy that is magic;
-Same goes with Eva. She's inherited the witch mantle because she is broken enough to need "magic" to cope with reality.

From here on, I'm starting to frame things this way - how much is anyone on the island compatible with "magic"? It seems obvious that the likes of Maria or Eva are very compatible, but Battler isn't. Ange fits this framing as well, but I've yet to explain myself why Rosa doesn't. Also, there's something I can't really frame as well - I assume there's male characters that could become witches as well - err, sorcerors? But this is something that wasn't explored yet. Given what I've been shown of the character, I don't think Hideyoshi or Rudolf could ever become magicians, but Krassus or George? I don't know enough of their backgrounds to make assumptions.

Also, there's a couple of seemingly red herrings but are actually pieces that fit. Like - the emphasis on Shannon and Kanon's real names. I still don't know what's Kanon's real name.
Or Kumawasa suddenly turning into Precedessor Beatrice, and then becoming a stable character separated from Kumawasa herself in the next episode.
I feel the appearance of Gaap threw a wrench into my thinking, I was starting to assume that the "non-humans" were alter egos of the servants. Might still be true though if I stop thinking every alter-ego should bear similarities to anyone else - otherwise, Ronove/Genji and Virgilia/Kumasawa set up a pattern. Is Gaap Nanjo's alter ego? Nah, I'm not convinced. And what about Gohda?
Or the two messages in the bottle, which probably describe EP1 and 2, but won't describe EP4.
Or the fact that magic has never been performed in front of Battler.

Anyway, everything I think falls apart as soon as I try to convert eveyrthing into something grounded and real, because I can't tell what's real and what isn't. Even stating that the red is truth doesn't allow me to build anything logical I can trust, and it's too easy to use semantics or selective denials: if Kanon is stated dead, for instance, what about [Kanon's real name]? Why is stating that only 18 people were on the island is fine? Battler doesn't know yet Shannon's real name and he never asked about her, but I assume asking about her status as Sayo will come soon and it will contradict somehow one of the previous red truths.

So, all in all, I was assuming all of Battler's blue truths in the EP4 showdown were pretty much bullshit. He's still thinking he's playing chess and that's that, but he's actally posting on a forum about chess, he hasn't noticed yet and Beatrice are depressed mods who delete his topics and edit his posts.

Char fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 18, 2021

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Thuryl posted:

Reports are coming in of small segments of glitched or untranslated text in Rewrite+. I'm embarrassed to admit that while we worked on it right down to the wire, some things ended up not being 100% ready for the release date. Expect post-release patches over the next few days to fix the main issues. It's out of my hands now but I am sending positive energy to the programmers.

Do you know, or are you at liberty to discuss, why management couldn’t hold off release for a few days to fix the issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Char
Jan 5, 2013
gently caress it, 4 days is too long. Besides, the authors deserve it.
I just started EP5.