Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!

site posted:

it's too early to come up with a joke so just posting this on case MoS might get a kick out of it, if he hasn't already seen it

HA, thanks. I had to turn down that job! Looks like I dodged a bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Over the last few weeks I made my way through the Duggan/Posehn Deadpool collection. Now I think I like Deadpool, and I know I like that creative team. Duggan's Marauders and Cable runs surprised me when I caught up on all the X-books a while back, so I'm going to go out of my way to pick up more of his stuff.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Skwirl posted:

That's the one that died like 27 days into the job, right? From drinking an insane amount of iced milk at his inauguration?

Pneumonia from being a long-winded rear end out in the snow, and his medical staff using Potomac River water that had people's piss and poop all in it. His cause of death is officially listed as "Tippecanoe and Sepsis Too"

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Big 2 legend George Perez (Crisis on Infinite Earth's, Infinity Gauntlet) just a announced he has inoperable pancreatic cancer. 6 months to a year is the prognosis. He's returning to social media to fight misinformation, and will be doing a last round of book signings and at least one public appearance so he can meet and hug fans.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Modern Leper posted:

Big 2 legend George Perez (Crisis on Infinite Earth's, Infinity Gauntlet) just a announced he has inoperable pancreatic cancer. 6 months to a year is the prognosis. He's returning to social media to fight misinformation, and will be doing a last round of book signings and at least one public appearance so he can meet and hug fans.

:smith:

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

The Modern Leper posted:

drat....

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Modern Leper posted:

That's terrible. He's legitimately one of the best comic book artists ever.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That is absolutely awful news. :(

Codependent Poster posted:

That's terrible. He's legitimately one of the best comic book artists ever.

It's amazing that you can credit him with co-creating several iconic characters that WEREN'T the ones created in the Golden or Silver Age, as well as redefining two that were. And that he did that all in like a 5 year span.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The Modern Leper posted:

I hope he can make it through the holidays well enough to be with his family.

Whenever he would draw out his signature splash pages I loved taking the time to see who/what he included in them. JLA/Avengers having him give every member pretty much every incarnation and design blew my loving mind when I was a teen collecting each issue when it came out.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Drew every single member of the JLA and the Avengers in one double page splash. Except for Vibe. He was only a leg. George hated Vibe.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
understandable

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Over the last few weeks I made my way through the Duggan/Posehn Deadpool collection. Now I think I like Deadpool, and I know I like that creative team. Duggan's Marauders and Cable runs surprised me when I caught up on all the X-books a while back, so I'm going to go out of my way to pick up more of his stuff.
It's a great run, right up there with Joe Kelly.

Is the new Silver Surfer any good? This one, I mean

https://www.amazon.ca/Silver-Surfer...ps%2C140&sr=8-1

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's a great run, right up there with Joe Kelly.

Is the new Silver Surfer any good? This one, I mean

https://www.amazon.ca/Silver-Surfer...ps%2C140&sr=8-1

Uh, the book isn't out yet.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

The Modern Leper posted:

Literally the dude who got me into American comics after I picked up Avengers/JLA and just fell in love with his work. I honestly thought he was older, cancer is a horrible way to go but even moreso at just 67.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
This sucks. George Perez was one of the first comic-book pros I ever met at a con, and he was amazingly welcoming.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Drew every single member of the JLA and the Avengers in one double page splash. Except for Vibe. He was only a leg. George hated Vibe.

Now that you mention it, I did think it was funny that Vibe was only present in a single panel of JLA/Avengers, where he's lying unconscious on the ground.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Who’d think a man named George Perez would be offended by a bad Hispanic stereotype? I think DC has done better since then? I’m not sure how people feel about Vibe since then.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Nilbop posted:

Literally the dude who got me into American comics after I picked up Avengers/JLA and just fell in love with his work. I honestly thought he was older, cancer is a horrible way to go but even moreso at just 67.

67 now means he was mid 20s when the new Teen Titans books were coming out, wow

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And like 31 when he reinvented Wonder Woman.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Did the 2020 run of Spider-Man 2099 only run for a single issue and then got canceled?

Tensokuu fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 8, 2021

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Tensokuu posted:

Did the 2020 run of Spider-Man 2099 only run for a single issue before it got canceled?
It was always announced and solicited as a one-shot. There was a 2099 event in Nick Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man run that was mostly contained in ASM but featured the following one-shots:

2099 Alpha
Fantastic Four 2099
Conan 2099
Punisher 2099
Ghost Rider 2099
Venom 2099
Doom 2099
Spider-Man 2099
2099 Omega

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the final Black Cat is today :(

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

You did an amazing thing, Vulpes.

Now please pitch the Bats ongoing.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Devil's Reign reads to me like Zdarsky was reading Civil War and getting irritated by how often it devolved into anticlimactic Hero VS Hero punch-ups instead of tackling the outlaw heroes thing in greater detail

I like it! Miles new costume is still terrible, though, especially when you have his new Spider-Verse costume to contrast it against

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I knew how the Spider man beyond issue was going to end but I didn’t expect it to do it so nonchalantly.

I wonder what the behind the scenes for this mini run is, because it’s really weirdly paced

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Devil's Reign was really good. Pretty shocking what Kingpin did at the end there.

Good moments with Cap and the Thing.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

It's pretty jarring going from the ending of Immortal Hulk to the new Hulk #1

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
The new Amazing Spider-man (80.BEY?) was actually pretty rad. I'm all for more Otto stories.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I think Marvel value Cates as the guy who will pick up the poison chalice of taking over a character-defining run and then completely pretending it didn’t happen.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Tensokuu posted:

The new Amazing Spider-man (80.BEY?) was actually pretty rad. I'm all for more Otto stories.

Yeah, this was the best Spider-Man issue in ages. I never really liked Doc Ock outside of him being Superior Spider-Man, but this really is bringing me around.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Obsessed with how Forge, Jean, Scott, and Wolverine all stand menacingly amidst Krakoan gates on the cover of Phoenix Song: Echo #2 but have absolutely nothing to do with the story inside. Love that lack of content, go girls give us nothing!

I feel like I like Devil's Reign in theory, but also like...is this not also just Civil War done again for like the fourth...maybe fifth time?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

BrianWilly posted:

I feel like I like Devil's Reign in theory, but also like...is this not also just Civil War done again for like the fourth...maybe fifth time?

Civil War But Without Pretending There's A Valid "Both Sides" Argument isn't the worst idea for a story, honestly

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Devil's Reign #1 admittedly felt pretty derivative of the earlier issues of Civil War, but I'm reasonably confident that the event won't involve writing half of the major Marvel heroes as unambiguous villains before deciding that they're actually the good guys in an ending that was in no way set up by the rest of the story, or ostensibly revolve around a semi-topical premise that in reality barely informs the plot at all past the first issue, so you could do worse than ripping off the parts of Civil War that I don't hate

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

As long as they don’t expect us to cheer for anybody building a negative zone concentration camp or violently apprehending innocent people for futurecrime it will be an improvement over both civil war events

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Internet Wizard posted:

As long as they don’t expect us to cheer for anybody building a negative zone concentration camp or violently apprehending innocent people for futurecrime it will be an improvement over both civil war events

and if it actually has an ending it'll be an improvement over Outlawed while it's at it

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
"The fun thing about Civil War is that both sides have good points!" Mark Millar shouts while gleefully typing about a berserk aryan robot that kills a black dude and indefinite incarceration without trial in a hell dimension

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
On the other hand, government enforcers beating and attacking nonviolent civilians in the streets and marching into homes to arrest people doing nothing seemed like a bit of overkill in 2006, but feels almost understated nowadays, in this 2021 issue. :eng99:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
At this point it'd be weirder if a new Hulk run acknowledges the last one than it would be if it didn't.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Do you think the optics on this get so bad Jameson gets reelected as Mayor?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Do you think the optics on this get so bad Jameson gets reelected as Mayor?

I half expect it to end with Luke cage as mayor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
OK now, to be fair, the Negative Zone isn't THAT bad. It's no Limbo, that's for sure.