Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
unfortunately you need so many son tokens to gild all the scabby dogs and cats that the alternate methods for acquiring them is far too slow. so, conservation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

unfortunately you need so many son tokens to gild all the scabby dogs and cats that the alternate methods for acquiring them is far too slow. so, conservation.

you can get your tokens back by giving him the leveled catdog

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
who gives up their giant collection of useless pets that never see the light of day after hitting 30? monsters, that's who.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I mean there's literally no difference between the breeds besides the mods they come preinstalled with

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they have names and give mastery. that's enough, really.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

BMan posted:

I mean there's literally no difference between the breeds besides the mods they come preinstalled with

Each of my space dogs love me in their own, unique ways.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

with the helminth charger, since you drain a cyst on your neck into the incubator, does that mean its your warframe's child? Does it have any of your DNA in it? They could have done some cool stuff with progenitor warframes too, that would have been cool

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I wish moas were useful. Let me bring my robostrich along and have it do anything at all, DE. At the very least make them immortal since that's the only pet attribute that really matters.

And separately because i just reminded myself of it, give Yareli vacuum while she's on merulina. It's messed up that she doesn't have it.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
CATALYST vs EXILUS WARFRAME ADAPTER invasion popped up earlier today. Get it while it's hot!

(on PC - Sedna)

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

who gives up their giant collection of useless pets that never see the light of day after hitting 30? monsters, that's who.

Oh man, the number of Kubrows I've cosigned in the search of omega energy bro...

:smith:

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Yeah it seems really dumb that there are like 50 fun companions and only about four that have any effect on gameplay.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I mostly use the Nautilus, the fishing sentinel, and Carrier for infinite ammo to be honest. Occasionally the giant XBOX for energy when I remember that setup exists. I know I should bring the farm cat, but I have spent too much time reviving other peoples farm cats to want to do that myself.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
I got a smeeta kavat and then never bothered with the incubator again. Is there any real payoff to get the deimos pets or other open world companions?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Rubberduke posted:

I got a smeeta kavat and then never bothered with the incubator again. Is there any real payoff to get the deimos pets or other open world companions?

Pets are mastery, the Panzer Vulpaphyla is an absolute monster and if built with link health and lifesteal share mods will heal you forever (I can't overstate this, this thing is a mini-Saryn which regens you in the process), moas are pun-tastic for pet names, and dna sequencing your smeeta to breed more smeeta means some semi-reliable plat as smeeta dna sequences sell well. Oh, and Oxylus is handy for fishing, and absolutely priceless with the Botanist mod from Simaris to passively accumulate a ton of plant scans.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Rubberduke posted:

panzer vulps are completely unkillable tanks that do noticeable damage and can heal you and give you a cheat death ability

everything else is a wasteland of extremely situational picks (this helps you crack one type of riven! that helps with one niche, mostly-obsolete tridolon strat!) or total garbage

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Adarza can give you flat 60% crit chance, which can be funny with guns that are High CD + Low CC (Kuva Nukor, Basmu alt)

Chesa can get you some extra loot, and stacks with every loot effect except Nekros. Sahasa can dig up energy orbs every 15 seconds but is probably worse overall than the Xbox Monster Energy Cooler.

Hounds can strip annoying Eximus auras, thats about it though.

Vasca's are probably the worst pets, despite being the best looking cats.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Ya I get regular use out of Dethcube and the Panzer Vulpaphyla.

I should use Oxylus more but I always forget to equip it. Nautilus might be nice if you don't have a railjack crew yet.

Occasionally I use Helios, and it still kills things in lower levels, but I'm only using it because I forget to switch off of it.

And then Smeetas are still fine for farming and Adarzas are still crit kitties.

Dig dogs still exist I guess, and whichever dog that can be extra huge is still good for comedy.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
Thanks for the advice (petvice?) on companions. I actually built dethcube but never did anything. And i guess I have everything to get a panzer. Do i need any specific things from Son for that?

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

From Son? not that I remember.

The panzer will come with mods specific to it, and its nice passive. Everything else you'll want are regular companion mods, life armor and shield (depending on what frame you're using), vacuum, radar+ if you want it, etc.

I guess it's worth noting that there are life, etc, mods that either boost their stat directly or boost their stat based off of your currently equipped frame. If you want to boost it's armor directly then thats one mod type which reads the same as a frame armor mod. If you want to boost it based off of your frame, for example because you're running Inaros and have tons of base frame armor and health, then those are x-link mods. You might want to change those up or have a second config if you swap over to banshee or someone with low base health/etc.

Using a link mod with a frame that has a ton of a certain stat will net you more of that stat for your pet than the more vanilla non -link mods. This becomes really obvious as soon as you experiment with it at all but it's nice to know if you're ever leveling a pet through sanctuary or higher level content and want to walk in with a rank 0 Inaros/Lavos/Hildryn The Dog so you donthave to keep picking them off the floor. Plus who likes seeing a pet get hurt?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
You'll need an appropriate vial for each slot (one antigen and one mutagen) and they'll have to be for foxcats not liondogs. You'll also need enough Entrati in total.

And you'll need to find and tranq a damaged panzer vulp in the wild. If you have really bad luck you can try using the vulpaphyla whistle (maybe with pheremones) to call some out and get nearby infected to hunt them. But archwinging around with a tranq rifle is probably quicker?

EDIT : Also possible to just make any kind of Vulp and trade for the Viral Quills mod. Though a bit fiddly.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 9, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you do cambion bounties you'll see a bunch of injured dogs and cats here and there. just zip over to the blue icon and rescue them for all the dogs and cats you might need and bonus tags.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Oh, and a reminder if farming for, well most open world stuff. The orange resource booster doubles fishing,mining and conservation tags. As well as most things from breakable chests. Does cost plat usually so your mileage may vary, but can take the edge off of some bullshit. (Sadly doesn't help with bonds or systems that bottleneck the Fortuna rep grind because scream.)

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Doesn't one of the pets put a free viral proc on everything? That seems like a pretty big deal, you could mod your weapons for things other than viral right?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Tylana posted:

You'll need an appropriate vial for each slot (one antigen and one mutagen) and they'll have to be for foxcats not liondogs. You'll also need enough Entrati in total.

And you'll need to find and tranq a damaged panzer vulp in the wild. If you have really bad luck you can try using the vulpaphyla whistle (maybe with pheremones) to call some out and get nearby infected to hunt them. But archwinging around with a tranq rifle is probably quicker?
From what I hear, the safest strat is to use pheromones + whistle to call a panzer vulpa, tranq it and then plant a Pherliac Pod over the body. Even though the fox is invulnerable, it can still become weakened if an infested mob hits it. Wait a bit, then collect.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

A Moose posted:

Doesn't one of the pets put a free viral proc on everything? That seems like a pretty big deal, you could mod your weapons for things other than viral right?

That's Panzer Vulphalalahpluya or whatever, I believe. Tiny Unkillable Saryn fox (or zygote, if you managed to get it into its regen state).

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I got a Vastilok riven today. :toot:

Gitro
May 29, 2013
oh no, I'm playing this game again. Didn't expect to have to enable 2fa to trade, but you can multi-select items now, so that's nice. Pretty sure you couldn't do that 3 years ago?

Bosses still suck a lot, Inaros and Saryn are still sweet, my dumb rivens still do their job and there's a bunch of confusing new grinds. Classic stuff!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

temple fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 10, 2021

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I don't play octavia much, but I was just leveling octavia prime and I cannot figure out how her 3 works. Especially the invisibility part. Do you have to time it so the crouch animation finishes when the circle pulse hits the middle? or do you just have to hit the button on beat? If you hear the note it's already too late but goddamn it feels like you have to get it 100% perfectly accurate with 0 margin of error. Maybe it would be easier with headphones. Is this why sometimes I get grouped with octavias whose entire song is just percussion spam?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

A Moose posted:

Is this why sometimes I get grouped with octavias whose entire song is just percussion spam?

That or Doom E1M1, which is effectively the same thing.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

A Moose posted:

I don't play octavia much, but I was just leveling octavia prime and I cannot figure out how her 3 works. Especially the invisibility part. Do you have to time it so the crouch animation finishes when the circle pulse hits the middle? or do you just have to hit the button on beat? If you hear the note it's already too late but goddamn it feels like you have to get it 100% perfectly accurate with 0 margin of error. Maybe it would be easier with headphones. Is this why sometimes I get grouped with octavias whose entire song is just percussion spam?

You PRESS the button when the animation of the closing circle overlaps the middle circle. You do not need to make the animation finish on timing with the beat. You also lose progress towards the buff if you mistime it, and lose more progress the further off you were. It is fairly finicky and takes practice though, as the timing is kind of strict. The amount of progress you get per crouch is based on the percussion of the song - more rapid beats means less progress. Personally, I find the percussion spam much harder to get buffs on because you need to hit a bunch of crouches, but it remains popular.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Captainicus posted:

You PRESS the button when the animation of the closing circle overlaps the middle circle. You do not need to make the animation finish on timing with the beat. You also lose progress towards the buff if you mistime it, and lose more progress the further off you were. It is fairly finicky and takes practice though, as the timing is kind of strict. The amount of progress you get per crouch is based on the percussion of the song - more rapid beats means less progress. Personally, I find the percussion spam much harder to get buffs on because you need to hit a bunch of crouches, but it remains popular.

Is why I don't play her much. Its too confusing.

Same with Gara. I refuse to learn how things work and just wanna hit things with my bullets

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
It's not particularly complex. If you just put the hits on every downbeat you can get lengthy invis by hitting like 2-3 consecutive key taps.

There's also the "put it on every 16th and then just mash like crazy" but that was always less reliable for me (but you dont need too be able to see the circles, which is a plus). Mileages vary.

Also if you do the constant note spam at least mute the track so you're not the jerk that makes everyone scramble into their settings to turn octavias volume to 0.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Also if you do the constant note spam at least mute the track so you're not the jerk that makes everyone scramble into their settings to turn octavias volume to 0.

This. I don't want to turn Octavia volume to 0 because I appreciate a nice beat, but not if they're just gonna spam the same note.

Also saw a guy play shawzin in mission once (defence), and thought that it was kinda fun.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
I wish they'd make the mandachord song editor available on a website or the helper app, it'd be nice to be able to play around with it at work.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Alternatively to muting the Octavia song, you can just run the perfect song instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9xMXS6llpg&t=18s
It is unironically great during missions with the beat timing.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Chubbs posted:

I wish they'd make the mandachord song editor available on a website or the helper app, it'd be nice to be able to play around with it at work.

GeForce Now. Works in Chrome.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

A Moose posted:

I put mine on every little box and just spam crouch, and I can stay invis at all times with no penalties. It's even faster than if I did it with a beat, because I just spam the button and in one beat I'm invis, whereas if I tried to play to a song it takes a couple of seconds (I used to run around with a bunch of Queen songs, which were fun, but the invis was taking too long to activate).

I dunno if it's different on console than PC, but on switch you're not penalized for missing the beat.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MikusR posted:

GeForce Now. Works in Chrome.

Hmmmm I've heard tell of this cloud gaming business before, I'll have to check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

A Moose posted:

percussion spam

It's timed by the "melody" notes only, not the percussion or the bass