Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In a population with Canada's vaccination rate, Omicron is ballpark twice as contagious and half as deadly. Thanks to the wonders of exponential growth, that means it'll kill a lot more people unless we increase the amount of precautions taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
get your boosters and enjoy the chud-free future

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

So uh, did we fix that whole long term care homes thing from last year? You know the one where a bunch of old people died.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
yes, precautions have been taken and the odds of those people dying again this year are extremely low

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Hot take: boycotting the olympics is cool and good.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

yes, precautions have been taken and the odds of those people dying again this year are extremely low

technically the dead can't die again unless we could somehow raise them from the dead

factcheck: true, zero pinocchios

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Hot take: boycotting the olympics is cool and good.

It's not a boycott if our athletes are still competing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wait the vaccines don't work for Omicron?

gently caress.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
they do, at around the same efficacy as a seasonal flu shot is against the flu. breakthrough cases are mild and a booster kicks the efficacy way the gently caress back up

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
the mRNA vaccines having an initial two-dose efficacy in the high 90s percentage seems to have broken people's brains. the seasonal flu shot varies between 30 and 40% efficacy based on which strains were guessed correctly, and that's enough to make getting the flu a much less common experience, and reducing severity of symptoms in breakthrough cases

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

MonsieurChoc posted:

gently caress.

i would hold off on taking third hand supposition from unpublished medical studies as gospel.

also, as Kazinsal noted, context is important regardless.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MonsieurChoc posted:

gently caress.

that is correct. there is currently a misinformation campaign right now about "mild" symptoms but that is hopium bullshit and we won't start seeing mass death for at least a week. that just how covid symptoms develop, they are always mild to start

omicron is infecting younger people

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Rutibex posted:

I'm an idiot who spends too much time online and uses words like 'hopium' unironically.

Don't listen to me.

ftfy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Rutibex posted:

we won't start seeing mass death for at least a week.

is this like the doomsday cults where if there are no mass deaths in a week and we ask you about it, you'll double down on the next one?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rutibex posted:

that is correct. there is currently a misinformation campaign right now about "mild" symptoms but that is hopium bullshit and we won't start seeing mass death for at least a week. that just how covid symptoms develop, they are always mild to start

also two doses of vaccine is much less effective against omicron you need a booster you know that thing we are being very slow about

Canadas omicron response is to close our eyes and hope the storm wont hit us but its already broken through the windows

I dont want to die

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

is this like the doomsday cults where if there are no mass deaths in a week and we ask you about it, you'll double down on the next one?
:tipshat:
south africa went from 560 new covid cases per day to 13,000 covid cases per day in two weeks.

i'll take that bet

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

1,000 people died of Omicron in South Africa last week. The US will see daily 9/11s in February, although Canada has an outside chance of preventing things from becoming too bad.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Chamale posted:

Canada has an outside chance of preventing things.

uh oh our track record!!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chamale posted:

although Canada has an outside chance of preventing things from becoming too bad.

oh?

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

Chamale posted:

although Canada has an outside chance of preventing things from becoming too bad.

Manitoba is making sure to keep things from getting bad don't worry!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Step 1: make a deal with a US hospital network to handle a number of surgeries to ease backlog
Step 2: allow US hospital network to set up temporary private surgery centers in Manitoba to ease backlog
Step 3: private surgery centers become a permanent part of the Manitoba healthcare system
Step 4: They did so well with surgeries, we're selling them the hospitals

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/liv_agar/status/1468464024698429441?s=21

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Anyone who says they know what is happening with Omicron is lying.

We don't know yet, that's how science works. Digging our head in the sand isn't helpful but neither is fear-mongering.

Just wait, and no open mouth kissing strangers.... Unless they are pretty and consenting.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Lmao calm down

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Pretty sure I can't get a booster shot yet.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao calm down

a+ handle/post combo

goons have been claiming covid is the end of the world since about february 2020, every new development is interpreted with greater bombast and hyperbole. i mean, maybe it is the end of the world this time, but it hasn't been yet.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 05:52 on Dec 9, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a+ handle/post combo

goons have been claiming covid is the end of the world since about february 2020, every new development is interpreted with greater bombast and hyperbole. i mean, maybe it is the end of the world this time, but it hasn't been yet.

only have to be right once

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh definitely, that's the doomsayer's advantage

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

a+ handle/post combo

The thread viewpoint is that it's going to be a bunch of extra suffering and mass death, but not enough to fundamentally change anything. With a small probability that covid kills us all before climate change-induced crop failures do

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

a+ handle/post combo

takes time for civilization to fall

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

A Russian troll farm posted:

I'm getting my CERB clawed back. Every red penny, even though I paid taxes on it. All loyalty I may have once had towards this country is now severed, and I will from now until the end of my life, at any opportunity, act contrary to the interests of this devil nation.

My sympathies dude. My resolve to hate this country for what it did to poor essential workers has not faded since march, join me comrade.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

It's just a disease that has upended the entire world for 2 years with no end in sight and is getting worse calm down nbd

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
You keep saying things are bad, but I haven't died yet! So things must be fine.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Fall and decline of the Roman Empire famously happened over a weekend

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I got a thing on the 18th we better not get another lockdown till after then.

I still expect lockdowns just won't be a thing ever again Stefanson would rather let the province collapse.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Everything is fine! I say as my kid brings home 5 rapid tests provided by their school and the feds are considering doing the same for every canadian

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

skewetoo posted:

Everything is fine! I say as my kid brings home 5 rapid tests provided by their school and the feds are considering doing the same for every canadian

free tests? you know what that will cost?! thats crazy why not just laugh at us and offer reimbursement if we can prove the test was ordered by a doctor

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

given that testing is at best reactive, it seems a like maybe we should close schools again for a bit if this is a concern.

re: popular reporting of claims re: vaccine efficacy

i'm seeing a bit of distance between those two headlines

also

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 15:58 on Dec 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

skewetoo posted:

It's just a disease that has upended the entire world for 2 years with no end in sight and is getting worse calm down nbd

Post your gas mask thingy you wear whenever you leave your place to get the mail please