Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
France is the USA of Europe so maybe not the best comparison.

But yeah chronic lack of sidewalks compared to anywhere else I've lived or visited is not a US problem. Lack of safe bike lanes, yes.

Re: Texas though, Dallas has sidewalks and Fort Worth does not. It's a pain in the rear end being a pedestrian in Fort Worth. Also, my hometown's law was that in residential areas, the sidewalk was builder's choice. So there are usually sidewalks, but on some streets, it will just suddenly end and you have to trudge across a lawn or two then the sidewalk restarts. There's also whole blocks with no sidewalk except for one bit that has one yard's length of sidewalk. It's very dumb. That's a city of 20k in the middle of nowhere though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

growing up in the Baltimore exurbs, there were not only no sidewalks but no crosswalks, including at the 6x6 lane intersection at the center of town. some of the new residential developments had sidewalks, but they were totally useless because none of the surrounding developments or roads had them.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

France is the USA of Europe so maybe not the best comparison.

But yeah chronic lack of sidewalks compared to anywhere else I've lived or visited is not a US problem. Lack of safe bike lanes, yes.

Re: Texas though, Dallas has sidewalks and Fort Worth does not. It's a pain in the rear end being a pedestrian in Fort Worth. Also, my hometown's law was that in residential areas, the sidewalk was builder's choice. So there are usually sidewalks, but on some streets, it will just suddenly end and you have to trudge across a lawn or two then the sidewalk restarts. There's also whole blocks with no sidewalk except for one bit that has one yard's length of sidewalk. It's very dumb. That's a city of 20k in the middle of nowhere though.

Lots of Dallas' suburbs where I grew up lack sidewalks along major roads, but that's a suburb thing.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I don't think this is any worse than American goons assuming circumstances in [a specific suburb of a specific American city] can be generalised to the entire world. Something like:

:fsmug: "Oh look at Mr Richie Rich, they even have sidewalks."
:confused: "What? Your city doesn't have sidewalks?"

Almost as bad is American goons thinking sidewalks are synonymous with good walking infrastructure

Many of the most walkable places on earth have no sidewalks

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Like beaches!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

alnilam posted:

Almost as bad is American goons thinking sidewalks are synonymous with good walking infrastructure

Somebody mentioned sidewalks, somebody mentioned lack of sidewalks, somebody went "lol no sidewalks? America sucks!" Some americans then talked about sidewalks in the USA, without comment on the overall walking infrastructure. (and especially no positive ones.)

I mean lol yes americans are dumb and don't even know what real countries are like. They never leave their suburbs. Go back to McDonald's!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I should be able to walk from one side of my city to the other without my bare feet ever leaving loamy soil and long, swaying grasses

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

I should be able to walk from one side of my city to the other without my bare feet ever leaving loamy soil and long, swaying grasses

If you're very good at breathing under water, you can do that.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

US lack of sidewalks is bad but it has nothing on Malaysia.

Now that's a relatively-developed country with asphalt roads everywhere but virtually no sidewalks.

It's the only place where I saw a city park you could only get to by car, as it was surrounded by multi-lane roads on all sides with no crossings (there was a car park though).

Also the Malaysia/Singapore causeway has you walking on a busy multi-lane motorway on the Malaysian side if you go by foot. It's an, uhh, experience, especially with bags.

Like this, but this is actually the safer end bit where the bike lane splits off:

They also put you under 10 times the scrutiny and waiting for daring to walk.

e: Also I bet the number is higher, from what I remember there is no real separation between people who went on busses and people who walked across, you just walk into the bus terminal, or at least it used to be that way.

e2: Looks like I'm right, but apparently they decided to build a footpath in 2019: 60% of people who use the Causeway to Singapore WALK, Johor govt to build footpath

Some relevant reddit quotes:

quote:

Once you reach the causeway, jaywalk to the right/western side ASAP - the old pavement is still there. Cross with care, people speed across the empty causeway at night. Then walk to the Singapore side. Once you cross the halfway point, the Singapore side is still designed for full pedestrian access - walk to the end, climb the stairs, and you're at the bus arrival platform.

quote:

i did it a few times when there were crazy jam cause walking was faster than taking the bus. you just have to be careful because the malaysia side has no pavements for walking. once you reached singapore's side, its ok. :-)

quote:

I've walked on 2 out of 3 occasions when I needed to once with my mom. It's not all proper walkway just be mindful of the vehicles and you'd be fine. The walk itself is mind blowing cause u are literally walking across a border. Mindfucuked.

quote:

What do you mean? I just literally crossed the bridge. There is no sidewalk actually, just 'side of the road' which is what makes it dangerous.

There is a better comment above with more details.

quote:

I went from SG to JB on foot before. Do it only when got crowd, otherwise its a lot more dangerous, you can get hit by the vehicles.

I should note the tricky part is that the whole causeway a steel-fenced bridge, you can't just step out of the road and if you could you would be in serious trouble for breaking immigration laws (said fence also has the infamous "trespassers will be shot on sight" signs, albeit only on the Singaporean side which does have sidewalks).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 9, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If you're very good at breathing under water, you can do that.

Hmm... Well I can't say I've been practicing

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
It wouldn't be the politically loaded maps thread if it didn't have an outbreak of American-Northern European tension ever couple of months to keep things zesty.

Quick, someone start debating the only correct way to designate citizens of the USA.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Private Speech posted:

US lack of sidewalks is bad but it has nothing on Malaysia.

Now that's a relatively-developed country with asphalt roads everywhere but virtually no sidewalks.

There are a lot of countries with sidewalk problems, although Western Europe and North America (including the US) have particularly good sidewalks in general. I remember a few years ago I followed Apple Maps instructions to walk to Bilbao's airport, and in fact the only way to walk to the airport required me to walk on the grass next to the emergency lane of a highway for like 500m - something that appears to still be the case now that I look at Google Maps.

Anyone who thinks the US has "third world" sidewalks though has never been to a moderately developed country (e.g. Egypt, Turkey, Peru), let alone an actual "third world" country like Cameroon or Ethiopia. In any actual "third world" country the sidewalk is the road, except maybe in a few spots in the urban cores of the largest cities.

Biking infrastructure is terrible in the US, but it's between medicore and bad in most countries in Europe that don't start with "Nether" and end with "lands".

So many Americans have this weird self flagellation complex. No, America is not "best country ever in every way" but it's also usually in the pretty middle of the pack for wealthy countries for basically everything except like, gun violence, the prison system, and a small handful of other things. That doesn't mean people should accept decaying infrastructure and unsafe bridges just because France and Italy have the same issue, but it's also important to be realistic about the problems. Anyone comparing any part of the US's infrastructure a "third world country" has either excessively exaggerated, or has just no idea what they're talking about

E: Back on topic, can't find any threads about km of sidewalks by country. Maybe this paper: https://makeabilitylab.cs.washingto...TA4GOOD2020.pdf which interestingly does make use of Google Street View. The US crushes Mexico, which is itself a fairly wealthy country, and they've even compared a suburb of Mexico City compared to three random US cities.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 9, 2021

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

MeinPanzer posted:

It wouldn't be the politically loaded maps thread if it didn't have an outbreak of American-Northern European tension ever couple of months to keep things zesty.

Quick, someone start debating the only correct way to designate citizens of the USA.

MeinPanzer posted:

Yankees. It’s short snappy unique and makes civil war losers angry

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The question of how walkable a place is is just way more complicated than whether or not there are sidewalks. As I said some of the most pleasantly walkable streets in the world have no sidewalks.

Wow no sidewalks, what a nightmare! (Cars are permitted on this street btw)

Saladman posted:

In any actual "third world" country the sidewalk is the road, except maybe in a few spots in the urban cores of the largest cities.

This isn't always inherently a bad thing either!

Compare this, in a poor neighborhood in indonesia - no sidewalks, but still a nice human-scaled space

To this, one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the world (Chelsea, Manhattan) - there are sidewalks but it is not a pleasantly scaled place to walk

I'm stealing these photos from this blog post that is a decent intro to the topic of street scaling.

For sure there are cities in poor countries in the world, where the major streets are a chaotic nightmare of car-pedestrian deaths even worse than the US, but it's very simplistic and often wrong to say sidewalk == good walking infrastructure.

An even more drastic counter-example is the Stroad, a term coined by Chuck Marohn

quote:

The STROAD design -- a street/road hybrid -- is the futon of transportation alternatives. Where a futon is a piece of furniture that serves both as an uncomfortable couch and an uncomfortable bed, a STROAD moves cars at speeds too slow to get around efficiently but too fast to support productive private sector investment. The result is an expensive highway and a declining tax base.

Check out these wide, impeccably clean and structurally sound sidewalks

There is only 1 pedestrian in sight here and you can see why. There are driveways every 100 ft where turning cars are going to hit you! The businesses' doors are all facing the parking lots! Their signs are massive and raised up for cars to see! Crossing the street takes a very long time!

Tons of suburban or peri-urban environments in the US (and elsewhere) are full of stroads like this with immaculate sidewalks that are never used.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Where you go wrong is thinking the idiot americans don't understand that walkability /= sidewalks. I promise you, they do. The discussion started specifically with someone not american going "lol no sidewalks so third world." Rant at australians, at least I think OP has mentioned being, if you want to own the foreigners who don't get walkability.

Especially if you're going to use cherrypicked photos and condescendingly explain "lol this small road allows cars, no sidewalks idiots!"

The whole poo poo is even more cringey if you're a self-flagellating american.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 9, 2021

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I have no idea what you're on about with the american vs not american thing, it has nothing to do with what I'm talking about

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Saladman posted:

I lived in Houston without a car for a year, there were no issues with sidewalks anywhere even remotely in the city. Yeah if you go to some random suburb you might not have them but then it's the same thing if you go to any random surburban place in Europe, like France:

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.018...!7i13312!8i6656

You'll probably have to click around for like ten minutes on Google Streetview to find a place within 5 miles of downtown Houston that doesn't have a sidewalk. Even derelict parts of Houston have sidewalks: https://www.google.ch/maps/@29.7863832,-95.3541317,3a,75y,246.78h,90.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sycMTBOUEbGJmMMXC6kk8Kg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

lol there are sidewalk-challenged streets all over central Houston (partial sidewalks, no sidewalks, crumbling sidewalks being reclaimed by plant life), and that example you posted from France is a tiny farm town that's 5 miles away from the nearest city.

These are all within 1 mile of downtown Houston:

https://www.google.ch/maps/@29.7551954,-95.3813297,3a,75y,337.15h,69.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scGmwR_SgY8IuUtcrGgZL4w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.ch/maps/@29.7323882,-95.3550192,3a,75y,54.4h,68.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sruiDhqNERzWdMbtQ7hBzEQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.ch/maps/@29.7375111,-95.3247257,3a,75y,28.68h,73.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWCef7e1iMelqHbVZ0yV4YA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.ch/maps/@29.7458938,-95.3345795,3a,75y,298.98h,94.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYMpIp4OOKxf3eaTXpzXtnw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.ch/maps/@29.7710077,-95.3700858,3a,75y,349.68h,79.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sABSJz-AwPWjdKaY6N19QQg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.ch/maps/@29.757416,-95.3412699,3a,75y,346.85h,81.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGRsF4bcsZV7bXMKLLGBw9w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

There are a bunch of big US cities that don't have this problem to this extent, FYI.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MeinPanzer posted:

the only correct way to designate citizens of the USA.

A LASER?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

alnilam posted:

I have no idea what you're on about with the american vs not american thing, it has nothing to do with what I'm talking about

nobody actually cares what you're talking about because you're ranting about sidewalks in the funny maps thread

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Where are you supposed to rant about sidewalks then?!?!?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bahamas, Ireland, and Soviet Union coming together to found Germania.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

alnilam posted:

this u?

alnilam posted:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah it was a direct quote from the post i was responding to, plenty of people all over the world are equally dumb about urbanism

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

MeinPanzer posted:

unitedstatesperson(s)/unitestatespeople/unitedstatesman/unitedstateswoman

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Sidewalks are the sigh of the oppressed ambler, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. They are the opium of the pedestrians.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Saladman posted:

What? Sidewalks are everywhere in cities in Texas. I lived in Houston without a car for a year, there were no issues with sidewalks anywhere even remotely in the city. Yeah if you go to some random suburb you might not have them but then it's the same thing if you go to any random surburban place in Europe, like France:

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.018...!7i13312!8i6656

You'll probably have to click around for like ten minutes on Google Streetview to find a place within 5 miles of downtown Houston that doesn't have a sidewalk. Even derelict parts of Houston have sidewalks: https://www.google.ch/maps/@29.7863832,-95.3541317,3a,75y,246.78h,90.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sycMTBOUEbGJmMMXC6kk8Kg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Your French example is a village of 139 inhabitants, in the middle of a natural park. Not sure if that really qualifies as suburban.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
natural park just means "not a city" in much of Europe

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Grand-Est and France in general actually has nature at least. England and west Germany are car parks.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Yankees. It’s short snappy unique and makes civil war losers angry

Personally I prefer the more gender-inclusive "Yanx"

e: i would also accept "unit"

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 9, 2021

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ras Het posted:

natural park just means "not a city" in much of Europe
In any case, it's not even an exurb, let alone a suburb.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Statsers

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
gringos

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

quote:

The stories of the Balts, hereafter referred to as Baltic Greeks, eventually became legend, and the Baltic Greek caste partially forgot their ways, and believed that the stories that had been passed down to them had taken place in the Mediterranean, when they had actually taken place in the Baltic Sea. An author, Homer, eventually wrote these down circa 800 BC, confusing ancient Baltic cities such as Troy for places in the mediterranean, and believing that great Baltic Kings like Agamemnon were Greek.

several paragraphs later

quote:

Things in the new Russia, however, were not going as well. In the Jewish Communist state known as the Soviet Union, a secret Baltic Greek had risen to power. Joseph V Stalin(real Baltic name Janis Vabole Saimnieks) was, unbeknownst to most, a Baltic Greek, the descendant of the 100,000+ Greeks in Georgia at the time.

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 9, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Vasukhani posted:

several paragraphs later

When Madam Alliluyeva was on a dacha or whatever
Said all the comrademen "Obviously, "
"The madam has the cutest secret Baltic Greek"

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Vasukhani posted:

several paragraphs later

If the Gulf of Finland is the Hellespont, then that would make Saint Petersburg... :monocle::agesilaus:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

alnilam posted:

Compare this, in a poor neighborhood in indonesia - no sidewalks, but still a nice human-scaled space

To this, one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the world (Chelsea, Manhattan) - there are sidewalks but it is not a pleasantly scaled place to walk

Who walks around Manhattan desiring "human-scaled space" lol. What is this martian nonsense.

Like the whole awe of Manhattan is being dwarfed and navigating this network of manmade canyons.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Quorum posted:

If the Gulf of Finland is the Hellespont, then that would make Saint Petersburg... :monocle::agesilaus:
Konstantingrad

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Goin to the forum
Drinkin diluted wine, um
Wanna meet a Princeps
But there's Gaius, Theodora
There's Mehmed here and Vanya
Neither one has been to Roma
The only Rome I see tonight will be made of yankees, gently caress, oh

Too many Romes