Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Gabagool posted:

one of my friends has entered "we're all gonna get it" mode .. like, dude you have an infant. wake up

we're all going to inhale asbestos at one point in our lives, best to go inhale it on purpose now to get it out of the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SKULL.GIF posted:

Why do you hate America?

yes

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1468965925529395201?s=20

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Gabagool posted:

one of my friends has entered "we're all gonna get it" mode .. like, dude you have an infant. wake up

we're all going to get it a number of times, and the goal is to keep that number as low as possible.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
oops wrong thread

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

no poo poo people who got their initial regimen in march aren't generating many antibodies

always be loving boosting

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I like Twitter

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Don’t worry, I’m addition to doing “back of the house” stuff at hospitals, they will also be used to set up overflow capacity at assistant living facilities to push all the 4+ week long COVID patients out da hospital. Very normal and good healthcare system

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

the paper has some caveats after that part fwiw; the effect wasn’t observed on all of their test subjects so it depends on face structure too, which makes some sense.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Crazyweasel posted:

Don’t worry, I’m addition to doing “back of the house” stuff at hospitals, they will also be used to set up overflow capacity at assistant living facilities to push all the 4+ week long COVID patients out da hospital. Very normal and good healthcare system

It's like the national guard joke when they got shipped over to Invade Iraq

"Just one weekend a month"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I'm looking forward to ten years from now when people in the national guard only vaguely remember what it was like to do anything other than COVID deployments

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

get it again Scott, please

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Scott Adams has the most magnificent brain

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Dren posted:

you said it’s your partner who is involved in all this, why the hell are you asking us?

With this stuff specifically, she’ll point out that a lot of her work is Protected to Secret, so she can’t discuss it anyways. If I make it general and abstract, say asking her about economics and policy, she’ll speak at length, but she considers these positions to be non-ideological, just common sense if you have a MA, so she doesn’t really explain the reasoning, just presents the position. It’s the same as reading the Globe and Mail or listening to CBC.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 369 days!
If you got your 3rd shot disguising it as your 1st, how open are you to a 4th shot and when do you plan on getting it after your 3rd

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Paradoxish posted:

I'm looking forward to ten years from now when people in the national guard only vaguely remember what it was like to do anything other than COVID deployments

we accidentally nationalize healthcare by transitioning everyone to military healthcare providers

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

heard things are still mildly in terms of bad to good

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Marlow posted:

I had a friend tell me she'd rather get Omicron then Delta and it took a lot of willpower not to respond with "don't worry, we're all going to get to sample both"

I feel like we need to start finding our emotional balls and just tell them this

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Loucks posted:

Want that Cheeto vaccine.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ymgve posted:

But out of how many sequences? I assume they don't sequence every positive, so is this more like "10% of samples were omi" or "every single sample we tested were omi"
these generally are prioritised sequences from older cases, the s gene target failure data is historically added to UKHSA's technical briefings but are a few days old. there's community sampling but that's in a few week batches and even further behind the curve

for up to date info that's what medical twitter is for:
https://twitter.com/AlastairGrant4/status/1468179762598318084

yes you get precise up to date data from twitter, not ukhsa. alastair is the main provider for a generic graph and it'll get turned into a figure by theo, 2021 research is fun

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Weird. I heard Covid was over. Oh well, probably nothing, I'm off to the orgy at TGI Fridays.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I feel like we need to start finding our emotional balls and just tell them this

there’s no glory in being the messenger that gets shot, in my experience. it’s not easy to convince people to disagree with the avatar of science and the paper of record.

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

I guess if we consider public spaces as "offices" for the national guards, then Hochul is fulfilling one of her more recent demands!

https://twitter.com/PIX11News/status/1461772882871259137

Animal-Mother posted:

Weird. I heard Covid was over. Oh well, probably nothing, I'm off to the orgy at TGI Fridays.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I often invoke the national guard when things are going well

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I always thought it was fun to have the national guard show up in SimCity 2000 when there was a fire and you didn't have a fire department.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

E Depois do Adeus posted:

Not rhetorically, what would industry's contribution have been and, knowing what we know now about vents, how much would this have actually helped?

I'm not convinced that increasing production of anything would have mitigated the crisis unless we're talking about dedicated quarantine/ hospital facilities. You still have to get people to wear masks, you still have to have sick people for ventilators to work.

Some of the smaller civilian industries were latex, paper and plastic manufacturers, so I would guess this part of the call out was for PPE and whatever else hospitals would need for COVID units.

A friend of mine developed an illness from military service in 2019, and the ENT wing he was in only had a few rooms with positive airflow (?). I think most emergency departments , and of course COVID wards now have those safety measures. I don’t know if that was crash production or if civie hospitals already stock those supplies, like a Role III stocks everything required for CBRN decontamination and treatment.

SNC Lavalin, besides being plugged into the Federal government, does engineering, procurement and construction. I suppose they could have been asked about any number of things. They’ve been involved in the construction of temporary hospital units and I think Ontario’s new hospital.

Of course, if the initial estimates were wild, who knows? A Chelyabinsk-like Ventilatorograd?

Based on PWGSC’s love for Commercial Off The Shelf procurement, finding existing production that could rapidly convert to PPE and other hospital supplies would be my guess for most of it. I don’t think the Canadian government was prepared to do anything like create more plant space and tooling, and as you said, even in the worst case they wouldn’t really need to.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 9, 2021

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I guess that’s where I’m getting stuck.

I have no idea what these reports and briefings concluded. It’s not 1940 anymore, maybe they couldn’t start making ventilators, masks or PPE on a crash basis. Certainly it took a while for distillers to begin making hand sanitizer, and I don’t know if that was state mobilization or 💫The Market✨ shifting production. I just feel as if you don’t pour over books on wartime emergency production if there’s no steps that can be taken. They studied an industrial response, and couldn’t have concluded it was impossible, right?

So does that mean that they believe it’s no big deal? Are all of these briefing notes opening with “COVID remains a marginal risk” - in which case any policy recommendations that follow are what you’d expect - or are they reading notes every day that stress the severity of the risk, presented with policy proposals based around that risk, and then… well, again, this is where I get stuck.

Someone mentioned the military earlier. Can you imagine going into Battle Procedure and then ignoring the analysis, or opting to low-ball any of the factors?

Of course our leadership knew we could do a crash program to manufacture PPE, ventilators, nationalizing industries to keep things afloat. We could've paid everyone to stay in their homes and mobilized the national guard to deliver food to everyone. All these things were possible. Right?

:rubby: of course they aren't possible, you rubes, you absolute fools. the only thing liberalism allows is the upward transfer of capital. we rushed to do that analysis when we thought Covid would impact the upward transfer of capital and then hosed off the conclusions when we realized that it didn't.

yes, I can absolutely imagine our military systemically ignoring the truth on the ground. Don't forget the entire occupation of Afghanistan was predicated on paying private military contractors high six figures to perform maintenance on tech because the entire military apparatus is designed to funnel money to Raytheon and General Dynamics, not to actually win a war.

our current system of governance will do absolutely nothing about Covid until money stops flowing to the elite, and whatever solutions it comes up with will be wholly in service of that. we'll be lucky if all we get are tax cuts for the rich. Kathy Hochul let the mask slip when she said "people need to get back to work" ... there'll be levers pulled by the government, on behalf of capital, to make exactly that happen, no matter what the truth on the ground is (piles of bodies).

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

goddamn she is so hot.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
HHS DATA 12/9/21

Critical Staffing Shortages: 1011 (Highest in at least 30 days)
# of States with hospitalizations over 70%: 45
# of States with ICU occupancy over 70%: 45
# of Adults Hospitalized with COVID: 63635
# Of Kids Hospitalized with COVID: 1,510 (record for the year)
# Of Adults in the ICU with COVID: 15,172

2020 vs 2021 Bed Comparison LMAO

FLU Data - Both records this year

ICU: 119
Hospitalizations: 1,105

Hospitalization 10 Day Trend
https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1468971535515803653?s=20

COVID Hospitalization since Thanksgiving
https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1468971412119441415?s=20

ICU Occupancy today
https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1468971047747657737?s=20

ICU 10/30/60 Day Trends
https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1468971158846337031?s=20

COVID ICU trends since Thanksgiving
https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1468971282607665156?s=20

Noobicide
Sep 12, 2007
bruh I live in new hampshire we are so hosed. Numbers already worse than the worst of last winter. Mask compliance abysmal. Libertarians rampant. National guard headed to hospital down the street from me. Lol. Just lmao

mystes
May 31, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Me too but my nickname for them is "P"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Judakel posted:

goddamn she is so hot.

it’s called having a fever she’s probably symptomatic too

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

tenderjerk posted:

If you got your 3rd shot disguising it as your 1st, how open are you to a 4th shot and when do you plan on getting it after your 3rd

I got my third full dose Moderna booster in August, and Ill be boosting again in January.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

BIL has covid, and now his 1-yo daughter has a fever. They're getting her rapid tested as we speak. I'm freaking out a bit

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Covid test came in just now. Negative. The symptoms I've had since Saturday are "just" the common cold, probably.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

it’s called having a fever she’s probably symptomatic too

yeah i got a fever too

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

just throw more bodies at the highly transmissable disease, that'll fix it

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/kchr_grr_krch__/status/1468951080184651777

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RealityWarCriminal posted:

just throw more bodies at the highly transmissable disease, that'll fix it

covid shuts down once it hits the kill cap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

mildly severely ill