Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pretty soft girl posted:

?? I don't think you read my post duder

you responded too fast :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
only official remakes are trash though. Final Fantasy Randomizer is what your really after
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IghxHjGB0rI

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

chglcu posted:

I guess this sort of leads in to probably one of my more unpopular opinions. Most games, especially RPGs, need like 99% less combat. Exploration and problem solving are much more interesting and killing endless waves of enemies just gets in the way of the good stuff. Sick of playing a loving murderous psychopath in every single game.

I like when combat is complicated and gives flavor to your character like in the new Pathfinder game. They find a way to offer so many different options and progression along with a story that justifies most of the combat sufficiently that I don't mind that it's combat heavy. That being said, I like No Man's Sky for just the reason you say. The exploration and discovery.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Rutibex posted:

only official remakes are trash though. Final Fantasy Randomizer is what your really after
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IghxHjGB0rI

FF randomizer is fantastic and really gets to the heart of what makes ff1 fun while trimming all the fat. I don't think I'll be able to play the vanilla game ever again

I wish there were good randomizer communities surrounding the other ff games but it seems like 1 and 4 are the only ones that got really good traction, but at least 5 has FJF. 2 and 3 having an FF1 styled randomizer would really breathe a lot of playability into those but I doubt anyone wants to subject themselves to those games that much

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 9, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rutibex posted:

Edit: oh I read that wrong. yeah the remakes of FF1 are trash

No one would argue otherwise because it never really got any better but was always an 80s video game at heart. The remakes look better and are less annoying but it is still an 80s video game.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
90-95% of the NES library is objectively trash due to advances in the medium and doesn't need to be remastered or repackaged. Nostalgia is the only reason to ever go back to those titles as even the jump to SNES is light years ahead in overall quality and experience. By all means, make new games on those IPs but let's not forget the hours of frustrating bullshit we endured due to hardware limitations, the absolute tsunami of substandard games, and poo poo controls.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

I miss cd-rom

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

nvidiagouge posted:

90-95% of the NES library is objectively trash due to advances in the medium and doesn't need to be remastered or repackaged. Nostalgia is the only reason to ever go back to those titles as even the jump to SNES is light years ahead in overall quality and experience. By all means, make new games on those IPs but let's not forget the hours of frustrating bullshit we endured due to hardware limitations, the absolute tsunami of substandard games, and poo poo controls.

That's not true, you just don't like platformers.

That's fine, it doesn't mean the games are trash though.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Icochet posted:

I miss cd-rom

I miss Launch! Interactive CD-ROM Magazine

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

it’s a fantastic franchise now but metroid 1 and 2 are absolute garbage games

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

every platformer after the original Ninja Gaiden has been utter trash

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That's not true, you just don't like platformers.

That's fine, it doesn't mean the games are trash though.

Any game you play with an NES controller or input system is trash. The game may be a good platformer for it's time, but you're still playing it on hardware and with controls that have been massively updated and improved over 30 years and there's no reason to go back. It's not the design that's bad it's the medium.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pretty soft girl posted:

FF randomizer is fantastic and really gets to the heart of what makes ff1 fun while trimming all the fat. I don't think I'll be able to play the vanilla game ever again

I wish there were good randomizer communities surrounding the other ff games but it seems like 1 and 4 are the only ones that got really good traction, but at least 5 has FJF. 2 and 3 having an FF1 styled randomizer would really breathe a lot of playability into those but I doubt anyone wants to subject themselves to those games that much

my favorite is the randomizer that turns FF6 into a rogue-like by scrambling all the maps in the game and putting them into kefkas tower

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

To each their own, I have more fun with the original Castlevania, Super Mario and Mega Man series than any of their sequels.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rockman Reserve posted:

metriod 1 is fine if you add a minimap

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I love Metroid games but the original absolutely does not hold up. Even putting aside the obvious flaw of not having a map in a game about mapping out a place, the game is genuinely unfun to control. A gun based Metroidvania needs diagonal aiming to work. Zero Mission is exactly what a remake should be because it took the base concept of a massively influential but very bad game and said “What if it was good and used the lessons of 15 years of experience?”

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

To each their own, I have more fun with the original Castlevania, Super Mario and Mega Man series than any of their sequels.

Mega Man 2 is one of my top 20 games ever but I'm not going to pretend like I didn't spend a good amount of time dying for bullshit reasons because my NES didn't detect my button input properly in an intense area.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

nvidiagouge posted:

Mega Man 2 is one of my top 20 games ever but I'm not going to pretend like I didn't spend a good amount of time dying for bullshit reasons because my NES didn't detect my button input properly in an intense area.

Anger makes u feel alive, you'd have just wasted the extra time replaying that part on something dumb anyway.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm with that poster, nostalgia is a hell of a drug and one thats fun to ingest but yes sorry almost all NES games have been superseded by a higher quality product

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

You don't have to be sorry, it's not like that statement changes my opinion :shrug:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Rutibex posted:

metriod 1 is fine if you add a minimap

i can see this, never got zero mission. wish I could play it on the switch

did metroid 2 have a minimap? was metroid 2 actually any good? i borrowed it from a friend for a while but didn’t play it much, iirc it’s like metroid 1 but with a collectathon?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nvidiagouge posted:

maybe your bad at megaman

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

You don't have to be sorry, it's not like that statement changes my opinion :shrug:

its not like i need or want to, there are a lot of things more wrong with the world than someone playing nes games in 2021

its still pretty lol though

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
But while there are a ton of NES “classics” that do not hold up, Zelda, Metroid, most versions of the shmup franchises to name a few, there are a ton that are as good as ever, Mario 1&3, Megaman 1-3, Kirby’s Adventure, Castlevania 1&3, Ninja Gaiden 1&2 etc.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

galagazombie posted:

But while there are a ton of NES “classics” that do not hold up, Zelda, Metroid, most versions of the shmup franchises to name a few, there are a ton that are as good as ever, Mario 1&3, Megaman 1-3, Kirby’s Adventure, Castlevania 1&3, Ninja Gaiden 1&2 etc.

what the hell Zelda 1 is fantastic there is nothing wrong with it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

mega man 1 is godawful and 2 is only slightly better, 3 is incredible and 4-6 all have their own strengths

E: yeah wait zelda 1 is really good

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

galagazombie posted:

Mario 1&3, Megaman 1-3, Kirby’s Adventure, Castlevania 1&3, Ninja Gaiden 1&2 etc.

all fantastic games that but if they disappeared tomorrow, meh

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Rockman Reserve posted:

i can see this, never got zero mission. wish I could play it on the switch

did metroid 2 have a minimap? was metroid 2 actually any good? i borrowed it from a friend for a while but didn’t play it much, iirc it’s like metroid 1 but with a collectathon?

Metroid 2 has no mini-map but is still actually good. The game is way more linear and level based so you only really need to mentally map a small section at a time. There’s a little collectathoning but nowhere near the first or later entries. It also controls massively better than Metroid 1.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

its not like i need or want to, there are a lot of things more wrong with the world than someone playing nes games in 2021

its still pretty lol though

I didn't say I'm actively playing them but I know I'll have more fun than any time I try to slog through some more FFXV.

Saying 90-95% of nes games are bad is a take I don't agree with, if you want to have a lol over that power to you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

Luckily, they don't exist :smugmrgw:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the creator of the NES died yesterday i will not hear any more disparagement of this fine system :colbert:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-12-09/nes-snes-creator-masayuki-uemura-passes-away/.180447

quote:

The Ritsumeikan Center for Game Studies (RCGS) announced on Thursday that Nintendo and Super Nintendo creator Masayuki Uemura has passed away on December 6. A funeral service was held with family members. He was 78.

Masayuki Uemura was born on June 20, 1943 in Tokyo. He graduated from Chiba Institute of Technology's department of electronic engineering in 1967. He joined Nintendo in 1971 and developed its first home console, the Color TV-Game. Uemura became the head of Nintendo's R&D2, and began working to create the Famicom in 1981, as well as its Western counterpart, the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). He also designed the Famicom Disk System. In 1988, Uemura began work on creating the Super Famicom, and then its Western version, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES). He also developed the Satellaview add-on for the Super Famicom.

Uemura left Nintendo in 2004 and became a professor Ritsumeikan University. He eventually founded RCGS and became its first director in 2011.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

galagazombie posted:

I played Ninja Gaiden 1 for the first time a few years ago and I was really impressed how well it holds up. Incredibly responsive controls and fun to get better at, and I don't even particularly like platformers that much

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

chglcu posted:

I guess this sort of leads in to probably one of my more unpopular opinions. Most games, especially RPGs, need like 99% less combat. Exploration and problem solving are much more interesting and killing endless waves of enemies just gets in the way of the good stuff. Sick of playing a loving murderous psychopath in every single game.

Nah.

“The president has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president? .” is as much story as a game needs to have. The rest should be combat/character improvement mechanics.

It’s hard to make fulfilling combat and other mechanics though, so studios gotta rely on story and writing and stuff to make people think their game is good.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

I didn't say I'm actively playing them but I know I'll have more fun than any time I try to slog through some more FFXV.

Saying 90-95% of nes games are bad is a take I don't agree with, if you want to have a lol over that power to you.

Yeah to be fair if my options were either final fantasy mmos or a bunch of nes games everyone finished in the 80s id prolly quit gaming

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

Nah.

“The president has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president? .” is as much story as a game needs to have. The rest should be combat/character improvement mechanics.

It’s hard to make fulfilling combat and other mechanics though, so studios gotta rely on story and writing and stuff to make people think their game is good.

:hmmyes:

I haven't played some of the purported best games in this last gen in terms of story and writing but most games writing seems to range from "an average Michael Bay movie" at best to "actively hindering my enjoyment of this" at worst

I dont know why this is the game immediately comes to mind, but Stranglehold had a plot and storyline that I don't think the game expected you to really give a gently caress about? I just skipped most of them so I could shoot goons and slide down dinosaur bones at the museum, then when I was done I got high as hell and watched Hard Boiled which was a much better experience than watching any of those cutscenes

More games need to be like that

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Icochet posted:

Can you fight Rasputin in any game?

Shin megami Tensei devil summoner. Raidou Kuzunoah vs. The Soulless Army.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

pretty soft girl posted:

I dont know why this is the game immediately comes to mind, but Stranglehold had a plot and storyline that I don't think the game expected you to really give a gently caress about? I just skipped most of them so I could shoot goons and slide down dinosaur bones at the museum, then when I was done I got high as hell and watched Hard Boiled which was a much better experience than watching any of those cutscenes

At least in Stranglehold, the cut scenes were directed by John Woo (note: very likely not actually John Woo no matter what the promotional material said), so there was some style to them. 99.9% of videogame cut scenes are shot and edited like parents videotaping a middle school play. And that's before you get to the writing which is uniformly poorly structured since it has to exposit people of the previous story beats which might have been hours or days ago, provide the snippit of actual story, and then exposit why you're going to the next stage while stretching everything out to fill loading times.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

galagazombie posted:

Metroid 2 has no mini-map but is still actually good. The game is way more linear and level based so you only really need to mentally map a small section at a time. There’s a little collectathoning but nowhere near the first or later entries. It also controls massively better than Metroid 1.

Metroid 2 also has a hell of lot of atmosphere for an itty bitty bleep bloop Gameboy game.

I actually prefer it to either of its remakes. :colbert:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

chglcu posted:

I think sudoku should have more violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

John Murdoch posted:

Metroid 2 also has a hell of lot of atmosphere for an itty bitty bleep bloop Gameboy game.

I actually prefer it to either of its remakes. :colbert:

gameboy games i will agree are genuine crap. there are a few exceptions:

-final fantasy legend 1-3
-Zelda links awakening
-metriod 2
-puzzle type games like tetris/qix/dr mario