Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fair warning to anyone wanting to pick up FFXIV any time soon but the "critically acclaimed MMORPG" meme has backfired spectacularly and now the game is too popular for its own login servers to function properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

Fair warning to anyone wanting to pick up FFXIV any time soon but the "critically acclaimed MMORPG" meme has backfired spectacularly and now the game is too popular for its own login servers to function properly

I'd give it a bit of time before newly picking it up.

FFXIV is amazing though. The story starts a bit slow, but as you progress (especially in expansion content) the story becomes good and then great and the dungeons and trials just end up being excellent.

Its too bad the initial start is slow, but they were really figuring out what XIV ought to be at the time

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I played a long time ago, I know that I've tried to register a new trial and it was like "wait no this account is not eligible for the trial."

Easy enough with one of my dozen email addresses to just register another, but I digress.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

at least now ime the queues work properly even if they take a while at peak. just a few days ago you'd be constantly kicked to the back because of errors that close the application.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

eonwe posted:

FFXIV is amazing though. The story starts a bit slow, but as you progress (especially in expansion content) the story becomes good and then great and the dungeons and trials just end up being excellent.

Its too bad the initial start is slow, but they were really figuring out what XIV ought to be at the time

Yeah I absolutely love the game, and loved Endwalker too. They used the MMORPG format to basically make a long-running serialized Final Fantasy TV series and even found a way to have a satisfying series finale. It's really great stuff.

Honestly the gameplay is fun, too. Like the story it also starts slow but it picks up as you go and I think a lot of the dungeons and trial/raid fights are a blast to do.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harrow posted:

I am on the faerie server, so i'm gonna be waiting awhile for things to die down. And this is with the free play being turned off right now.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Apparently there's a new Warhammer Age of Sigmar MMO coming from Nexon and Games Workshop.

https://massivelyop.com/2021/12/08/nexon-is-apparently-working-on-a-new-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-mmo/

quote:

“New PvE Social Multiplayer With Next Generation RPG And Social Features Supported by Nexon’s Best-In-Class Live Operations In Development For Global Distribution on PC, Consoles And Mobile. […] Built on the legacy of Age of Sigmar, the new Virtual World will feature a socially interactive player-versus-environment world supported by Nexon’s world-class Live Operations for sustaining the fun with new content and service. […] PvE Multiplayer RPG Virtual World.”

A little weird that they are trying their hardest to not call it an MMO. Almost like the MMO genre is poisonous.

Also, I don't have any personal experience with Nexon, but the comments are all saying it's not good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mobile is mentioned as one of its platforms, so can already safely give this a hard pass.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

eonwe posted:

It's a strange thing. I paid for Endwalker, had certain expectations of what would be delivered, and I got everything I expected and maybe a bit more. I'm not even sure what planet this is any more. The rule always was you pay and you get what you loving get - all purchases are a roulette wheel with 90% of the landing spots stacked against you. And here I am happy with a purchase. It's disorienting, but it'll pass.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Cardboard Fox posted:

Apparently there's a new Warhammer Age of Sigmar MMO coming from Nexon and Games Workshop.

https://massivelyop.com/2021/12/08/nexon-is-apparently-working-on-a-new-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-mmo/

A little weird that they are trying their hardest to not call it an MMO. Almost like the MMO genre is poisonous.

Also, I don't have any personal experience with Nexon, but the comments are all saying it's not good.

It looks like a exon does a TON of publishing/live service for games made by other devs, for specific regions. The only game (only heard of the IP really) that I have even heard of that they made themselves is a Maple Story mobile mmo.

I’m gonna go with “completely write this off as irrelevant to me”.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Scruffpuff posted:

It's a strange thing. I paid for Endwalker, had certain expectations of what would be delivered, and I got everything I expected and maybe a bit more. I'm not even sure what planet this is any more. The rule always was you pay and you get what you loving get - all purchases are a roulette wheel with 90% of the landing spots stacked against you. And here I am happy with a purchase. It's disorienting, but it'll pass.

What I expected from this expansion they packed into the first 20% of it. Just an amazing job

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

CYBEReris posted:

at least now ime the queues work properly even if they take a while at peak. just a few days ago you'd be constantly kicked to the back because of errors that close the application.

I was still getting booted from the queue regularly last night after the fix so imo it still has the same problems with needing to babysit the extremely long queue.

Game is still great but I don’t think it is a good time to start.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Orange DeviI posted:

Flayed barbarian skin leggings aren’t ‘just pants’

drat right, they're 60 AC for a monk. I mean, godDAMN.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I play XIV on and off and it's a bit weird, on one hand you can play every class/job on one character which is great, on the other hand there's not really any build variety within a job so if you really like one job you can't really switch things up and try a different 'build' or something. But you can put on Vans and a biker jacket

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Orange DeviI posted:

I play XIV on and off and it's a bit weird, on one hand you can play every class/job on one character which is great, on the other hand there's not really any build variety within a job so if you really like one job you can't really switch things up and try a different 'build' or something. But you can put on Vans and a biker jacket

It's a way of doing things I largely prefer. I do miss the ability to be creative and come up with your own builds from other MMOs, but the nature of content (re: it's repetitive by design and largely predictable) means that mathematical optimization is going to win out the vast majority of the time. Focusing on a singular vision for each class allows them to create a cohesive play experience where every element of the class feeds into eachother, as well as making inter-role balancing much easier.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I do sometimes miss the option to play a different role on the same job that other MMOs might have, but I think it's absolutely best for the health of the game that it works how it does. Like I could understand a player being disappointed that if they want to play the Big Strong Fighter with an Axe they absolutely have to be a tank, for example, but the lack of talent trees and things like that definitely contributes to a game that's a lot easier to balance. (Also the completely separate PvP skills every job has so PvP and PvE balance have nothing at all to do with one another.)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Kaysette posted:

I heard the new catgirl bunnyboy mmo expansion is good

I think it is but I don't know.

Would you like a keychain

https://twitter.com/clinkorz/status/1468437995795718155

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Harrow posted:

Like I could understand a player being disappointed that if they want to play the Big Strong Fighter with an Axe they absolutely have to be a tank...

This is me! Two-Handed axe wielder in heavy armor while humming DOOM music is how I have played ESO, DDO, Skyrim and Outriders (replace two-handed axe with double-barreled pump shotgun). Not being able to queue as DPS is a bummer :(

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm at a point in the Endwalker story where I really, really wanna binge, so I've chosen to not play tonight because the queue means I'd only be able to play for an hour or two and I want to marathon it. Gonna wait til tomorrow night. So I fired up Asheron's Call on a private server and messed around a bit. That was such a weird fuckin' game, but also very cool.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Harrow posted:

Like I could understand a player being disappointed that if they want to play the Big Strong Fighter with an Axe they absolutely have to be a tank, for example

It’s mainly that if you just don’t click with any of the jobs, you’re poo poo out of luck. All the jobs have clear ways in which they’re meant to be played, and they pretty much took away what little gear customization there was statwise. Excellent music and top notch encounters, but the game ranks rock bottom regarding customizability of playstyle for me

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I am amazed people have already beaten FFXIV's Endwalker expansion content when I still haven't even been able to log in. Every night I try, and every night I'm faced with 4,000+ player queues. By the time I'm close to getting in, it's time for bed.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
people have different bedtimes and different work schedules, and a LOT of people play on NA servers from OCE or EU because they built their friend networks before their regions had servers

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mister Olympus posted:

people have different bedtimes and different work schedules, and a LOT of people play on NA servers from OCE or EU because they built their friend networks before their regions had servers

Yeah, the prime time queues don't exist in the morning for NA, at least. I wake up at the equivalent of 10-11 AM EST most days, and the largest queue I've had to face down after the start of early access was 45 people.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah as a currently unemployed person I get 30-50 people queues in the morning and then I can keep logged in until I have to leave the house basically.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orange DeviI posted:

It’s mainly that if you just don’t click with any of the jobs, you’re poo poo out of luck. All the jobs have clear ways in which they’re meant to be played, and they pretty much took away what little gear customization there was statwise. Excellent music and top notch encounters, but the game ranks rock bottom regarding customizability of playstyle for me

Yeah the combat simply isn't for me, at all. I'm glad that they managed to take the wow formula and make something fundamentally different with it both in class and boss design and that probably added something to the success of the game, but I prefer wow's freeform "here's 8 buttons to deal damage and 40 utility buttons, god help you" than ffxiv's "here's your 30 button damage rotation".

I feel like getting to the cap of what you can do is easy on ffxiv and the challenge comes from syncing with your entire party each specific boss encounter whereas in wow you can hard-carry the poo poo out of 20 people or offheal as a dps so hard that you count as an extra healer or just really all the n ways to break the game entirely. My favorite was how by stacking the right talents and legendaries you could have a 30-40 yard range on melee attacks as a feral druid, being safely away from pb aoe from all bosses in emerald nightmare and nighthold while also not being targeted by the ranged-only mechanics/attacks.

You could melee attack bosses throughout most void zones/garbage on the ground intended to block melee and it was great.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Last night the wife and I beat Endwalker and yes it was amazing, but at the same time, I would have been fine with a single player experience/watching her play/movie because the entire xpack was jump on two seat vehicle and drive to the next plot point. We got handed our "endgame" gear during the plot and I was thinking back to the trials and tribulations of FFXI's AF gear and thinking this is so lovely :smith:

I am so sick of themepark mmos. And I know I am in the super minority these days.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fun should be earned

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I played an embarrassing number of hours of FFXI and I'm glad the world has moved on from that formula. gently caress the required ordeals,gently caress the grind just to increase a level cap.
I've got a friend that plays more 11 than 14 despite having active subs to both and my response is always "why though"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I really don’t think people actually want that bullshit

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

ghostinmyshell posted:

Last night the wife and I beat Endwalker and yes it was amazing, but at the same time, I would have been fine with a single player experience/watching her play/movie because the entire xpack was jump on two seat vehicle and drive to the next plot point. We got handed our "endgame" gear during the plot and I was thinking back to the trials and tribulations of FFXI's AF gear and thinking this is so lovely :smith:

I am so sick of themepark mmos. And I know I am in the super minority these days.

I mean no one is forcing you to play these games.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

MH Knights posted:

This is me! Two-Handed axe wielder in heavy armor while humming DOOM music is how I have played ESO, DDO, Skyrim and Outriders (replace two-handed axe with double-barreled pump shotgun). Not being able to queue as DPS is a bummer :(

Everyone is a dps. Just think of it that way.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

ghostinmyshell posted:

BIG same. Every time a new MMO is announced it's always like, "oh sweet, they put 'sandbox' and 'open world' and 'classless' in the description!" and then the game releases and it's just WoW with a fresh coat of paint.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ghostinmyshell posted:

If your endgame is level 89 AF gear, and you don't like that, try to do content that requires more than that?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm sure you realise, but it's not 'endgame gear' you were handed, just a starter set.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
also lol that that's the complaint because gear treadmill is literally the crapbread and shitbutter of wow and its clones, and is probably the last bad MMO trope FF14 doesn't want to shake off. credit where credit is due though, crafted gear you can just buy or make is perfectly fine enough for most all savage fights, so at least there's that. gear treadmill mmos usually make you grind a bunch of unrelated content for a couple weeks because all the "good" gear is bound on pickup lmao

GW2 has problems, but the fact that you can clear all content in exotic gear you can grind up in 3 days after starting the game is not one of them (outside high level fractals which require specific gear you need to craft yourself, but that's a one-off thing and they learned not to do it again i think?). i often take year+ breaks from the game and when i come back i can clear all new content without changing gear at all and it owns

fake edit: i remember playing TBC or maybe lich king era warcraft trial, finding out there's a bunch of crafting options, googling the high level recipes, and immediately finding out the actually cool/good/expensive items are all bound to character when you craft them, and they're still just entry level gear. i never subscribed for unrelated reasons but that super didn't help. jesus that game is ugly even by 2003 standards lmao

that was a longass time ago, but from the recent "blizzard really doesn't respect their players' time" complaints i can't imagine it got better over the years

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

ghostinmyshell posted:

the endgame only starts to start when you begin Disciplewalker and hand-craft your crafting gear, then craft your entry-endgame combat gear, then do Savage for your prog gear. you are now at the actual beginning of endgame

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

AF in FFXI wasn't really endgame gear either in the sense most peopl understand it now. It was (maybe) a couple of pieces that you blinked in and out of with gear swap macros during combat and you would otherwise only wear it to look pretty because that was the kind of game FFXI was. Actual endgame gear was a mix of HQ crafted gear and various boss drops, a significant fraction being old school open world bosses that guilds used a paid bot to snipe.

Who actually wants to burn sneak/invis consumable to get into beastmen strongholds or whatever for dress up clothes? That stuff being free is absolutely a plus.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3ZMly9YAPA
Wow, didn't realize the game was this much of a mess.

It reminds me a bit of Cyberpunk. The game was released far too early. Would have been wise to have the game in early access until it was finished.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ghostinmyshell posted:

personally im glad i dont have to grind out bear asses to see the fun plot or do fun boss fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Any of you going to be playing Mortal Online 2 on release?

The first one was kind of a dumpsterfire on release and as I understand the company only survived cause of federal subsidies. That being said towards the end of its lifetime it was a decentish game that was mostly held back by a super out of date engine. Second one seems to run fine for the most part. All of the game's systems seem to be fully implemented for launch as well.