Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

To make sure I’m not just emptyquoting, once you get past not seeing actual dudes on the map this is bar non the best three player heavy interaction army men game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

jng2058 posted:

Blood Rage kinda fits this category.

I kinda hate Blood Rage, I've played it 3 times in real life and won every game Loki'ing. Apparently we were just playing it wrong but I've never cared enough to find out what's right.

Inis is obviously the best answer, I do hope they do another print run.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Inspired choice. Incredible little knife fight of a game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mayveena posted:

The Command and Colors series. Start with Ancients and ignore the magic based one.

The problem with C&C is you can't play it with three. It's strictly two players (or two teams of three with the Epic kit).

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

uncle blog posted:

Any recommendations for a good dudes-on-a-map/4x/war or heavy interaction strategy game (not co-op)? Something for people who like: Inis, Civ, Civ A New Dawn, Kemet, Eclipse, Twilight Imperium, Forbidden Stars, Clash of Cultures, Dune, Dune Imperium, Cthulu Wars.
Bonus points for good production values and, playtime < 4 hours and plays well with only 3 players.

Maria and Successors (the new edition should be hitting stores soon), although I'm not sure if they fit the playtime criteria because it's been ages since I've played either.

edit: doh, didn't see that Maria was already suggested.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions. Is there by any chance a card-based game with a lot of interaction? Unlike Dominion where everybody just does their own thing. Preferably with some way to attack each other?
Seems most are co-op.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Cosmic encounter

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My copy of Merchants of the Dark Road came in today (Check out the TG thread for photos)

Just wanted to cross post one of the coolest things in the box. Magnetic Rondel
https://i.imgur.com/CUZ9fc1.mp4

I'll hopefully be getting it to the table this weekend!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

uncle blog posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. Is there by any chance a card-based game with a lot of interaction? Unlike Dominion where everybody just does their own thing. Preferably with some way to attack each other?
Seems most are co-op.

Air, Land and Sea? Only 2 player though.

Alternatively Netrunner or for multiplayer the classic Vampire : The Masquerade

Comedy answer : Inis!

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

My bad, should have specified deck-based game. Like Dominion, Arkham Horror LCG or Dune Imperium, but heavy on interaction and not co-op.

But such a unicorn might not exist…

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

uncle blog posted:

My bad, should have specified deck-based game. Like Dominion, Arkham Horror LCG or Dune Imperium, but heavy on interaction and not co-op.

Maybe a bit less complex than you’re thinking but Condottiere is a fantastic multiplayer card game

E: seconding Time of Crisis as a historical dudes on a map deck building game

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 9, 2021

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

It's hard to find for a reasonable price due to the GW/FFG split, but Blood Bowl Team Manager sounds like it fits the bill.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

uncle blog posted:

Consider Tramways... I wouldn't call it "deck based" but the composition of your deck is very important.

Time of Crisis is worth checking out.

I consider them both to be excellent games.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

uncle blog posted:

magic the gathering

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

uncle blog posted:

Seems most are co-op.

Imperium: The Contention might fit the bill.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/266448/imperium-contention

terebikun
May 27, 2016

uncle blog posted:

Any recommendations for a good dudes-on-a-map/4x/war or heavy interaction strategy game (not co-op)? Something for people who like: Inis, Civ, Civ A New Dawn, Kemet, Eclipse, Twilight Imperium, Forbidden Stars, Clash of Cultures, Dune, Dune Imperium, Cthulu Wars.
Bonus points for good production values and, playtime < 4 hours and plays well with only 3 players.

I hear good things about March of the Ants and Exodus: Proxima Centauri

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Cartographers Heroes' retail-version is starting to hit the shelves over here. I love the original but I'm not certain that I need the new version. Instead I was thinking of buying one of the separately sold map packs to spice up the base game. Any recommendations? The volcano one seemed fun.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Dang. That looks like my dream game. Too bad it’s not available anywhere for a while.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

uncle blog posted:

Shards of Infinity is a very solid and cheap dueling deckbuilder.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

uncle blog posted:

Cycladdeeeesssssssss
Red Planet?
El Grande?
Wallenstein/Shogun?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Really enjoying Maquis, having just received the 2nd edition. Feels like they crammed quite a bit of gameplay permutations into it - it's quite a bit more involved than Black Sonata from the same publisher, though I do quite like that too.

Weird thing is I ordered both games at a time when my wife was often not in the mood/too tired to play and I wanted some light solo stuff for those evenings. But I happened to show her Maquis after I set it up and we ended up playing a couple of games working together. It was fun and all but goddamnit we have actual 2 player light games we can play together and I specifically bought these for when she can't be arsed. Still, quality spouse time is quality spouse time, even if she can be a min/maxing quarterback type when she gets really into something.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Infinitum posted:

My copy of Merchants of the Dark Road came in today (Check out the TG thread for photos)

Just wanted to cross post one of the coolest things in the box. Magnetic Rondel
https://i.imgur.com/CUZ9fc1.mp4

I'll hopefully be getting it to the table this weekend!

Would love to hear your thoughts on it once you play. I saw it at GenCon and it looked real cool, but I was buying enough stuff already.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

High Tension Wire posted:

Cartographers Heroes' retail-version is starting to hit the shelves over here. I love the original but I'm not certain that I need the new version. Instead I was thinking of buying one of the separately sold map packs to spice up the base game. Any recommendations? The volcano one seemed fun.

I think the island map is the most different gameplay wise. I loved it, but my friend hated it because the squares are smaller than in the regular sheets and he likes to draw clean and neat pictures.

The volcano is very interesting. I was worried it would be destroying all my stuff, but it's easy to plan around that and use the volcano to your advantage with those line/row scoring cards.

The underground map is very cool, but it feels the least "flashy" of the 3. I feel like you could approximate it on one of the regular maps if you really wanted to, so maybe save it for last.

But if there's a pack with all 3 of them at some discount, then definitely pick them up.

I love Cartographer Heroes more than the original version. I think the new monsters with ongoing effects are a lot more interesting than the ruins cards in the original. I'm really hoping that Thunderworks will release some monster and hero promo packs in the future because they definitely could use a little more variety, just like the monsters in the original game.

If you're loving the original then think about picking up the new game when you feel that the game has gotten a little bit reparative, because the new explore, monster and hero cards really freshen things up.

Also for Cartographers fans, there's now an official random map generator, if you want more maps: https://www.cartographers.app/?map=3038507071

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Arzaac posted:

Would love to hear your thoughts on it once you play. I saw it at GenCon and it looked real cool, but I was buying enough stuff already.

I played it at BGG.Con last month and was pretty unimpressed to be honest. It is pretty, and has some cool mechanisms but the dice placement didn't really click for me.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

Zaphiel posted:

Also for Cartographers fans, there's now an official random map generator, if you want more maps: https://www.cartographers.app/?map=3038507071

Hey this is great, thanks!

Propably gonna buy Heroes at some point instead of the separate map packs since that map generator exists. Cartographers is easily my favorite roll-and-write, it's just super chill and addictive.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jedit posted:

If a game is improved by house ruling, that means the original game designer is worse at his job than a random player.

Or the game needed more play testing outside of the heads of the devs

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

uncle blog posted:

Magic: The Gathering

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Marco Polo is a great example of this. It's really easy to win without ever travelling anywhere. It had clearly been playtested by people playing it the 'right' way.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Aramoro posted:

Marco Polo is a great example of this. It's really easy to win without ever travelling anywhere. It had clearly been playtested by people playing it the 'right' way.

They fixed that in the second game, you have to travel now. That being said, somehow the second game isn't getting nearly the plays that the first did for us.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah I've played Forgotten Circles too.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Aramoro posted:

I don't think this is actually true except at beginner levels of play, some amount of travelling should always be more efficient than contract only play unless the setup is extremely bad for travelling.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Also by that logic I'm a better designer than Isaac Childres, Jamey Stegmeier, Nate French and a number of others since house ruling parts of their games has made them more enjoyable for us and I'm fairly sure that's.. not true. I think even the best designers sometimes have aspects of their designs that don't work for everyone, whether that's a tiny minority or in some cases even a majority of players. I don't think every design has to be flawless for someone to be a great designer.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Publishers can force stuff into the game as well. Less of a thing with kickstarters/self published games of course.

Zkoto
Dec 9, 2004

jarofpiss posted:

i built my table and it was pretty straightforward. i'd say try and find a local carpenter to make something to your specs. it'll probably be cheaper than the mass produced tables and will be light years ahead in quality. all the gaming tables i've seen are overpriced and cheaply built.

What did you do for yours? I really like the felt topped sunken look that the fancy expensive ones have. If i can get a local to make one like that, that's probably the way to go.
I have a big old 1.5m square table, wonder if its easier just to get someone to build a felt top for it.

Also, this thread has been bad for my wallet. I started playing some Brass, Civ: New Dawn, and Spirit Island on Tabletop Simulator after reading people talking about them. Immediately went and got Brass, that game is a blast to play. Pretty confident SI is next.

Zkoto fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 10, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
House ruling for balance isn’t quite the same as house ruling for outright bad design ideas. We houseruled one of the milestones in FCM Ketchup so that other strategies could be competitive (removed -2 distance on Marketer), and I do think it improves the already great game but that’s quite different from any of Ignacy’s design stories or “roll a die and your character dies” random events.

I will say that the closer to RPG-like a board game is the more accepting people seem to be of major houseruling. A lot of people completely ignore large chunks of Gloomhaven’s bloat and it’s hard to argue with that choice.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Zkoto posted:

I have a big old 1.5m square table, wonder if its easier just to get someone to build a felt top for it.

This is definitely the way to go. Even with basic tools and little wood working knowledge it's very easy to build one of those nice sunken tabletops if you already have an existing table that you can scavenge the legs or frame from. Even if you have the tools and skills (which I do) it's just quicker and cheaper to build a top and stick it onto an existing base than make the whole lot from scratch.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

House ruling for balance isn’t quite the same as house ruling for outright bad design ideas. We houseruled one of the milestones in FCM Ketchup so that other strategies could be competitive (removed -2 distance on Marketer), and I do think it improves the already great game but that’s quite different from any of Ignacy’s design stories or “roll a die and your character dies” random events.

I will say that the closer to RPG-like a board game is the more accepting people seem to be of major houseruling. A lot of people completely ignore large chunks of Gloomhaven’s bloat and it’s hard to argue with that choice.

I think house ruling co op games is quite different from competitive games as well. In co op, balance is quite a different matter and fairly subjective since some people prefer winning more or less often and so tweaking things to make the game more enjoyable is really not a problem so long as it increases enjoyment for everyone. In competitive games I feel like house ruling becomes more delicate because you still need to maintain competitive balance, and sometimes things that can seem unbalanced are really only so because of group meta and not because there's an inherent design problem.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think there's a difference between "here's a few tweaks we made that we think makes the game better for our play group" house rules and "there are some incredibly poo poo elements of the design that are obviously awful to anyone who's played even a modest amount of board games from the last ten years or so, so we remove them" house rules.

Needing to do the latter is a pretty big indictment of the design.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The only house rule I use consistently that I can think of is removing the cards in Archipelago that automatically give you a leg up during turn order auctions. They're trash, both of them, and they basically make the auctioning moot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

My family isn't quarantined anymore so we finally got to play Aeon's End Legacy 2 and the first two fights were a lot of fun. Everyone was feeling great, no long-term side effect in sight. Good times all around, vaccine rules :toot: