Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Prurient Squid posted:

I'm going to make a register of stars in the sky in which each star is linked to an owner and then sell unowned stars to mooks and then procedurally generate Starspawn as visual representations of those stars in my upcoming new game Star Quest.

e: No, make it an online card game and if you get all the stars that make up Orion you can summon Exodia or something. Anime tie in? This idea has legs.

No one gives a poo poo

Unless you say “blockchain”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It was a Magic: the Gathering tournament. I assure you everyone in the room was bullied.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

They skipped the part where the Constitution guys lost a huge portion of their money to gas fees
And that's not counting the fees donors had to pay to give them coins in the first place.

I think it was Vice that got in as a donor as part of writing an article about it and they had to pay about $200 for a $75 donation, the rest was eaten by fees.

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
So is Kickstarter accepting crypto AS currency now? Or is it just business as usual, but something something blockchain?

Because both are stupid choices, but the latter without the former would just be hilarious.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Still lolling at Ubisoft using NFT but locking it down to the point it’s indistinguishable from the type of tradable and sellable in-game items TF2 and CSGO have had for years and years.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Fish Appreciator posted:

So is Kickstarter accepting crypto AS currency now? Or is it just business as usual, but something something blockchain?

Because both are stupid choices, but the latter without the former would just be hilarious.

The article claims the latter. Supposedly, the customer-facing part of the website will be unchanged. It's just all the server costs will be way lower because they won't be hosting, they'll "something something the blockchain" host them.

I suspect this is all nonsense to get fresh investors and nothing will come of it, they'll probably wait until they have new money and then "change their mind based on consumer response" or something.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

Still lolling at Ubisoft using NFT but locking it down to the point it’s indistinguishable from the type of tradable and sellable in-game items TF2 and CSGO have had for years and years.

Yes, but the big difference is that sellable items from TF2 and CSGO didn't spike the price of a crypto that nobody was required disclose if they owned any of.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

MechaCrash posted:

Yes, but the big difference is that sellable items from TF2 and CSGO didn't spike the price of a crypto that nobody was required disclose if they owned any of.

Very true, but small note: the csgo and tf2 markets were immediately used for money laundering which created huge headaches for valve.

quote:

Why make this change? In the past, most key trades we observed were between legitimate customers. However, worldwide fraud networks have recently shifted to using CS:GO keys to liquidate their gains. At this point, nearly all key purchases that end up being traded or sold on the marketplace are believed to be fraud-sourced.

https://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/2019/10/26113/

So imagine how much better that would be by introducing a crypto currency.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mozi posted:

i read the article and it doesn't say anything about how exactly this will be a benefit to anything, other than giving more money to carbon offset scams

crowdfunding isn't new or innovative anymore, kickstarter is now a stable and established old-tech company. and that's just not acceptable, so they're adopting recent buzzwords

also, Kickstarter's workers unionized in Feb 2020, and Kickstarter bought out or laid off 40% of their their employees two months later. so this could be a corporate shell game to get rid of the union, because they're spinning off a separate company to run the blockchain project

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021

Bobulus posted:

The article claims the latter. Supposedly, the customer-facing part of the website will be unchanged. It's just all the server costs will be way lower because they won't be hosting, they'll "something something the blockchain" host them.

I suspect this is all nonsense to get fresh investors and nothing will come of it, they'll probably wait until they have new money and then "change their mind based on consumer response" or something.

This is amazing.

The biggest, dumbest thing about cryptocurrency to me has always been the fact that even after so much time and so much hype, its ability to be used as actually currency is next to non-existent. Companies making cynical ploys to crypto enthusiasts using buzzwords without actually accepting crypto in exchange for goods and services is a hilarious reminder at how impractical cryptocurrency is as, well, loving currency.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Fish Appreciator posted:

This is amazing.

The biggest, dumbest thing about cryptocurrency to me has always been the fact that even after so much time and so much hype, its ability to be used as actually currency is next to non-existent. Companies making cynical ploys to crypto enthusiasts using buzzwords without actually accepting crypto in exchange for goods and services is a hilarious reminder at how impractical cryptocurrency is as, well, loving currency.

No no you see it's an ~*investment*~ now.

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
Out of curiosity, I tried to figure out what major outfits are currently accepting cryptocurrency as money. Basically, you have Tesla, Microsoft, Starbucks (which surprised me), Overstock.com, and a few obscure hotel chains and airlines. Also some random Dallas-based sportsball team.

About half of entries on the lists I found weren't even "this company accepts crypto to pay for things," they were "this company allows you to buy and sell crypto on their platform." Like... the people making these lists didn't bother to distinguish the two. Probably because cypto-enthusiasts don't bother to distinguish the two.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The irl James Bond villain CEO of EA constantly saying "invest" during E3 promos

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
Yeah, but there has to be some kind of product for you to invest in, right? Something of value? If its just the idea of cryptocurrency that you're investing in, you might as well just buy and sell links to jpegs with a promise of value because they exist on a blockchain and are non-fungible. And that would just be stupid.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Fish Appreciator posted:

Out of curiosity, I tried to figure out what major outfits are currently accepting cryptocurrency as money. Basically, you have Tesla, Microsoft, Starbucks (which surprised me), Overstock.com, and a few obscure hotel chains and airlines. Also some random Dallas-based sportsball team.

About half of entries on the lists I found weren't even "this company accepts crypto to pay for things," they were "this company allows you to buy and sell crypto on their platform." Like... the people making these lists didn't bother to distinguish the two. Probably because cypto-enthusiasts don't bother to distinguish the two.

Shouldn't it be like really easy just to Google a list of companies / services can be Legiterally Purchased with crypto? I wanna see this list for reasons

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You’d think crypto people wouldn’t want people to view crypto as an investment to be cashed out for dollars and yet

Fish Appreciator posted:

Yeah, but there has to be some kind of product for you to invest in, right? Something of value? If its just the idea of cryptocurrency that you're investing in, you might as well just buy and sell links to jpegs with a promise of value because they exist on a blockchain and are non-fungible. And that would just be stupid.

Also, lol. gently caress they’re dumb

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Fish Appreciator posted:

You're making the mistake that crypto nerds are interested in spending their buttcoins. Got to hodl to the moon and pretend you have a billion dollars because TotallyLegitCryptoExchange.com says so.

I guess the upside to these "investors" is that when Tether is brought down and the inevitable crash comes, you can't really kill yourself by jumping from a basement window.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Fish Appreciator posted:

the product they are investing in is hype

they believe in number go up uP UP. the US Govt dragging their feet on crypto regulation for over a decade has allowed this bullshit to fester much larger than it should've, and a hundred years from now this cryptosporidium trash will be in textbooks along with the south seas bubble, the gold-backed market manipulations of the 1800s, "buying on margin" causing the Great Depression, etc

digital money is a cool and good concept but buttcoin is not the correct answer to that question.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

BigRed0427 posted:

I may become a anti-internet luddite if it turns out in ten years you "need" to be on something like this to function on the internet, same way how you kind of need a Facebook or Google account.

The Metaverse is for Second Life furry orgies that should have been emails

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fish Appreciator posted:

Pretty sure there are a few other big chain stores in there along with Starbucks, but note that when they say they "accept cryptocurrency", they mean "we have partnered with a crypto trading app so that after you sell them your crypto there's a button to transfer money to your store card."

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Collateral Damage posted:

I guess the upside to these "investors" is that when Tether is brought down and the inevitable crash comes, you can't really kill yourself by jumping from a basement window.

good thing we still have heatstroke from mining

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

divabot posted:

The Metaverse is for Second Life furry orgies that should have been emails

the metaverse already WAS second life furry orgies before some of today's goons were even born

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Ad by Khad posted:

digital money is a cool and good concept but buttcoin is not the correct answer to that question.
Haven't most of us been there already for over a decade? Many people get paid by direct deposit into our bank accounts, and we spend that money through debit and credit cards. Physical cash is never handled or needed.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sashimi posted:

Haven't most of us been there already for over a decade? Many people get paid by direct deposit into our bank accounts, and we spend that money through debit and credit cards. Physical cash is never handled or needed.

Yeah, at this point using cash feels like using checks 20 years ago - it's inconvenient and embarrassingly slow. The rare occasions where I can't pay using my card are frustrating and weird.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fish Appreciator posted:

You're investing in the idea that more people will want to get rich quick with crypto and thus be willing to buy your crypto for even more money. There's a term for this kind of scheme where the money from people buying in to scheme is used to pay out large returns to the people who bought in earlier, thus enticing people to put more money into the scheme because they saw some people get rich quick.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Sashimi posted:

yeah its really just the United States that's lagging behind in digital payments, and thats because of the credit card lobbyists. in my country I've been able to send money via email without a fee for years. I can even send money to most countries internationally without a fee for about a solid year now.

"digital money" when it comes to using money as an actual currency is much closer to Interac (which we've had since the mid 80s) than cryptosporidium

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mkvltra posted:

Shouldn't it be like really easy just to Google a list of companies / services can be Legiterally Purchased with crypto? I wanna see this list for reasons

It's impossible to get a reliable list because crypto folks have every incentive to exaggerate and lie to inflate the list to draw people in. They don't care if it's hard to find merchants that actually take crypto, because they don't want to actually spend crypto - they want to hold onto it and watch number go up.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

mkvltra posted:

here's the thing about this - almost all the companies that 'accept crypto' will use a processing service like BitPay that basically washes their hands of the dirty crypto at every point in the process and they just receive delicious fiat instead.

like, look at BitPay's pitch to businesses, literally the first bullet point, verbatim, is 'Never touch crypto'.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1469008170064486406?t=_SubpxioaKd-rIsFZXaTyg&s=19

So, I'm actually kind of confused: does the metaverse already "exist"? Like, is there a program to download and sign up for?

Edit: nevermind, I think I found my answer
https://fortune.com/2021/12/07/how-i-signed-up-metaverse/

quote:

The metaverse is essentially a merging of virtual, augmented, and physical reality, and blurs the line between your interactions online and in real life. But broken down more simply, it’s a handful of platforms like the Sandbox, Mirandus, and Decentraland on which people can interact in different ways. 

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 9, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1469008170064486406?t=_SubpxioaKd-rIsFZXaTyg&s=19

So, I'm actually kind of confused: does the metaverse already "exist"? Like, is there a program to download and sign up for?

It's the second coming of VR hype, which I expect will be exactly as impactful as the first coming.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Buy your 3D TVs now, kids!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's the second coming of VR hype, which I expect will be exactly as impactful as the first coming.

Was honestly my first thought when it was announced. My friend has one, it's neat but it's definitely not something I have to have

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Happy Landfill posted:

Edit: nevermind, I think I found my answer
https://fortune.com/2021/12/07/how-i-signed-up-metaverse/

"metaverse" is currently being used to refer to any semi-social online space that uses 3D avatars and isn't a videogame

also, the metaverse hype hits different when it's next to this picture instead of the one in the tweet

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I can't believe the guy that sells oranges said everyone needs to buy oranges.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

One of the best parts of Second Life was companies trying to host serious things being assaulted by flying penises, and I’m thrilled to see this happen again but in VR

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's basically two faces to the metaverse. On the one hand you have corporate spaces like Horizons where the spiciest you can get is putting a dog emoji over your own head, and on the other you have VRChat and Neos where furries and anime girls do battle with bluetooth sex toys.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

https://youtu.be/KxlPGPupdd8

Virtual court is the best court. Bring it on, Facebook!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Somehow I always had the impression that Second Life was VR. No idea why.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

One of the best parts of Second Life was companies trying to host serious things being assaulted by flying penises, and I’m thrilled to see this happen again but in VR

Making sure that kind of poo poo can't happen will be like #2 on the list of priorities for Facebook/Microsoft/etc. as they implement their Metaverse stuff (#1 is figuring out where to put ads and how much data they can collect/sell). You'll be lucky if you can model a hotdog for your company picnic without getting banned by the Automated Penis Detection System.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Dabir posted:

Somehow I always had the impression that Second Life was VR. No idea why.

It's literally Second Life and VRML somehow being the next big thing. If we're gonna make such things cyclical can we just go back to email being revolutionary so people abandon social media for it?

Not in this timeline!