Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

If it makes anyone feel better, I gave away all my cards years ago and arena turning sour for me is encouraging me to explore what I really originally liked about the game in it's social aspects. If I can get people to play my cube with me I definitely want to build one with lots of Un- cards because Unhinged got me back into the game for a bit and it ended up being a blast to play some of those cards with my friends as we learned to adapt around them, and of course tons of them could never work digitally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it would be really great if someone copy-pasted MTG's game engine into a new game with new IP owned by a different company

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I pay one CRIMSON marna and cast Lightning Bort for three heart points of damage!

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
I am still irrationally upset about Alchemy loving up Historic

TesseractMinotaur
Nov 6, 2012

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

I am still irrationally upset about Alchemy loving up Historic

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I am very rationally upset about Alchemy loving up Historic.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Leperflesh posted:

It's been pointed out to me today by a poster that maybe we haven't been enforcing these new thread rules. I haven't been keeping up with this thread on a daily basis lately, potatocubed doesn't either, so perhaps we've been negligent. However, based on skimming a few pages about the current Alchemy thing, I'm not sure if I could directly apply these as-written anyway. Altering the base assumptions of how Historic works isn't exactly comparable to the secret lair stuff, and the complains don't seem to be "Wizards is doomed/Magic is doomed" so much as "I hate this", which is explicitly permitted by these rules as a topic.

This also isn't about Wizards' malfeasance as an employer, like, abusing employees or moral compass decisions.

So on reflection, no, I don't think this thread has been flagrantly violating either of these rules, at least not in the last couple of days. That said, it sure seems to be grim up in here lately, there's a lot less chat about specific play or whatever and a lot more angst and anger etc. I don't think it's reasonable for mods to insist a thread always be cheerful, but I also don't think a permanent "death thread" is what any of you really want for the magic thread.

I do want to emphasize that regardless of the state of the game currently, when people ask questions - newbies or regulars - they can be answered without derision or scorn. We've let a few reports that were marginal slide in recent weeks, because it's been tough to look at one specific post that was borderline and say "OK that clearly deserves a sixer" or, in a few cases, neither of us saw the report until like 18 hours later and the posters involved had already moved on. That's always going to be the case for moderation in Trad Games because we don't have round-the-clock mod coverage the way some of the more busy forums like GBS or the politics forums have.

But when a poster goes on a tear with several lovely posts, we're going to hit that. And we're going to continue to ask folks in the thread to try to cut each other some slack, assume good faith instead of presuming bad faith, and generally try to get along.

Well technically they are not printing the cards everyone is complaining about.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Its pretty telling that nobody anywhere, ever, has ever stuck up for alchemy. not even as a lovely gimmick. this is objectively bad for anyone that plays on Arena

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

A Moose posted:

Its pretty telling that nobody anywhere, ever, has ever stuck up for alchemy. not even as a lovely gimmick. this is objectively bad for anyone that plays on Arena

Streamers and other content creators are apparently into it. Crokeyz or whatever their name is is particularly high on it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Dracula Factory posted:

If it makes anyone feel better, I gave away all my cards years ago and arena turning sour for me is encouraging me to explore what I really originally liked about the game in it's social aspects. If I can get people to play my cube with me I definitely want to build one with lots of Un- cards because Unhinged got me back into the game for a bit and it ended up being a blast to play some of those cards with my friends as we learned to adapt around them, and of course tons of them could never work digitally.

I sold most of my cards and would like to do this, but I'm having a tough time exploring the social aspect of much of anything. I'd play Commander or Cube, but I don't want to sit around a table with strangers anymore. That's the ideal though, just buying singles and ignoring whatever Hasbro is trying to do with the game.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

A Moose posted:

I've seen more than a few, but most of them either don't realize that Alchemy replaces Historic versions, or they're fully in denial about the wider state of the game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

A Moose posted:

nah people absolutely like some parts of it, even in this thread. a lot of people even think it's a good idea + are just down on its potential effects on historic if the rebalances get bigger

you're just not going to see a lot of it b/c this thread generally disliked the concept of arena from the start and only got more negative of it as time went on

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Chakan posted:

Takklemaggot is a fun and interesting card where if you explain the flavor first, most every player will understand what’s going on. Similar to Chains, once you get the intent it’s not hard to understand the mechanical concept. But Magic is a game where “dies” and “leaves the battlefield” are not the same thing, and when you’re that granular then players are going to require the oracle text on hand and for you to explain it to them step-by-step.

Way back in '95, I was wasting my life at my LGS, when a nerdy kid about 14 or 15 years old came in. I'm talking mega nerdy, like imagine if Steve Urkel and Wesley Crusher had a baby. No, actually don't imagine that. Ewwww. Anyway, this kid had somehow got it into his head that every single Legends card was an ultra-valuable collector's item. He went up to the counter and in the whiniest voice imaginable said "I have a Taaaaaalkemaggot! Who wants to make me an offer on my Taaaaklemaggot!" Everyone had a good laugh, the store owner offered him a dollar or two, and he left almost crying. From then on, Takklemaggot became a meme; whenever someone pulled a chase rare, someone would say "I'll give you a Takklemaggot for it!"

I have no idea why I remember worthless poo poo like this from 25 years ago but can't remember why I came into the room just now. Someone help me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gynovore posted:

Way back in '95, I was wasting my life at my LGS, when a nerdy kid about 14 or 15 years old came in. I'm talking mega nerdy, like imagine if Steve Urkel and Wesley Crusher had a baby. No, actually don't imagine that. Ewwww. Anyway, this kid had somehow got it into his head that every single Legends card was an ultra-valuable collector's item. He went up to the counter and in the whiniest voice imaginable said "I have a Taaaaaalkemaggot! Who wants to make me an offer on my Taaaaklemaggot!" Everyone had a good laugh, the store owner offered him a dollar or two, and he left almost crying. From then on, Takklemaggot became a meme; whenever someone pulled a chase rare, someone would say "I'll give you a Takklemaggot for it!"

I have no idea why I remember worthless poo poo like this from 25 years ago but can't remember why I came into the room just now. Someone help me.

you have adhd

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I think the fundamental idea of alchemy, power level errata for digital Standard, is a good one. The implementation has issues though

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
In terms of material changes to Historic personally I've only had two decks hit by the change. GW CoCo with Luminarch Aspirant you'll put 4 in your deck you just don't get the value until next combat round. As for Esika's Chariot it's kind of a sidegrade? Yeah you lose bodies on the field but it's easier to crew if you start eating sorcery based removal or block with the cats.

Slippery slope arguments and whatnot but they haven't nerfed like the truly good journeyman cards like PVDDR or Skyclave Apparition so it doesn't really hit Historic that hard yet.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

kalel posted:

it would be really great if someone copy-pasted MTG's game engine into a new game with new IP owned by a different company

They did, it was called Hex.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

C-Euro posted:

Streamers and other content creators are apparently into it. Crokeyz or whatever their name is is particularly high on it.

Crokeyz being in support of it is another strike against alchemy imo

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Streamers are for Alchemy because it means that the meta changes rapidly so they won't get burned out playing the exact same deck for 3 months and they can also have new Deck Tech videos to make every time there is a rebalance.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I mean if you're literally playing magic for 8 hours a day every single day then you probably do want the format that Wizards is changing up frequently, instead of the format that sucks right now and that Wizards has apparently decided to abdicate any attempt at balancing because hey they can just balance Alchemy instead.

Alchemy existing in the first place is a big clue that Standard is not getting any better any time soon.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

flatluigi posted:

nah people absolutely like some parts of it, even in this thread. a lot of people even think it's a good idea + are just down on its potential effects on historic if the rebalances get bigger

you're just not going to see a lot of it b/c this thread generally disliked the concept of arena from the start and only got more negative of it as time went on

I think Arena is pretty drat good, if imperfect, but the way Alchemy has rolled out gives me serious hesitation about putting any more money into it and I've bought every mastery pass up (and the odd gem pack here and there) until now except for the D&D set. I pretty much only draft and play Historic because that's the format where my investment or time spent learning a deck feels like it has the most payoff (because I'm bad at this game) and the power level feels a bit more fun without being too stale or skewed in any one play style and deck type.

Alchemy as it currently exists disrupts a perfectly healthy and diverse format for no good reason, it devalues the incentive of having an eternal format where even if you're a FtP user you can build something like mono red or Gruul that will basically always be viable, and it clearly is being used to try and wring more money out of players while we wait for the "real" eternal format to get set up.

Which fine, can't knock profit motive. Hopefully they will actually get Pioneer up and running in the next year or so. But the whole thing feels contrived to unnecessarily churn the play environment in a way that doesn't actually solve bigger existential problems related to card design, power level, format balance, etc. I've also been an advocate of WotC using the digital environment to push the envelope a bit in the design space, which feels a bit monkey's paw-ish now given that they have done so in the laziest ways possible in addition to recycling cards that were weeded out in a traditional design process.

I don't think this dooms the game, it just signals some poor decision making. If they made separate queues for Historic and Alchemy Historic that would solve like 90% of the problem but if they don't even care enough to do that it kind of bodes ill. Seems like this has gotten as much pushback as the original Historic = 2 wildcards thing so IDK what else it would take for them to course correct.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 9, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

C-Euro posted:

Streamers need fresh content and he only plays arena. Of course he loves alchemy. Hoogland has been spamming twitter about it since its announcement too. Their goals and reasons for playing arena might greatly differ from the average person.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
My ideal Historic would just be non Alchemized Standard cards but with the new Alchemy cards. Which I believe makes me an orphan in this war.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
the only thing that will kill magic is people not playing it anymore, and from what I understand it's pulling in more money now than ever.

We can go on and on about how alchemy sucks and these online-only cards are loving up historic (because it's a radical and frankly unfun way to go about things), but no amount of change over almost 30 years has killed magic, despite that many years of doomsaying.

Hirotishi
Apr 12, 2004

A Moose posted:

I play almost exclusively Limited, and my plan was to use the rares and packs I get to make whatever the most fun Standard deck was at the time. That was two years ago, and now I'm sitting on hundreds of wildcards because Standard has been dogshit basically since Arena launched.

I get that the impact to historic is bad but since I don't play it I largely don't care. The economy stuff is obviously bad, but again I'm not spending my wildcards as it is. If this can lead to the creation of an actually fun format then I'm all for it, just hoping the whining makes them offer some kind of correction to the economy.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Framboise posted:

the only thing that will kill magic is people not playing it anymore, and from what I understand it's pulling in more money now than ever.

We can go on and on about how alchemy sucks and these online-only cards are loving up historic (because it's a radical and frankly unfun way to go about things), but no amount of change over almost 30 years has killed magic, despite that many years of doomsaying.

They can still make the game less good with bad decisions. Like how the companions ruined all formats there for a bit.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Framboise posted:

Congratulations to Magic for being an unkillable game because it has yet to be killed up to this point.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

Congratulations to Magic for being an unkillable game because it has yet to be killed up to this point.

I mean if that's what your reading comprehension was able to squeeze out of what I said, more power to you?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
*looks at a bunch of posts about people deciding not to play any more because all the formats they like are now unfun due to this latest cash grab*

"The only thing that will kill Magic is if people stop playing it and well folks, I just don't think that's happening"

Enjoy getting all your new commander cards via secret lair I guess.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Jabor posted:

*looks at a bunch of posts about people deciding not to play any more because all the formats they like are now unfun due to this latest cash grab*

"The only thing that will kill Magic is if people stop playing it and well folks, I just don't think that's happening"

Enjoy getting all your new commander cards via secret lair I guess.

Look it's just showing the power of Alchemy outside of mtga. Turning a vapid nothing-post into snark.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

kalel posted:

Sit around the table and allow the olds to tell the tale of a game called Ultimate Combat.

(Nobody ever actually played that I think)

Also, Redemption.
(I knew a kid who got that because his mom was scared of the devil, I guess it didn't actually have casting costs. I still have the whore of Babylon card I took from him)

Also probably a dozen others, poo poo was real egregious in the mid-90s.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Sickening posted:

Streamers need fresh content and he only plays arena. Of course he loves alchemy. Hoogland has been spamming twitter about it since its announcement too. Their goals and reasons for playing arena might greatly differ from the average person.

These are dark days if hoogland is now shilling for wotc

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I basically stopped playing magic in person when the pandemic started and gave up on Arena like a year ago and I'm now at the point where I still follow a bunch of MTG people but I can no longer tell what is jokes and what is poo poo WOTC is actually doing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Framboise posted:

This is a factually correct statement.

Here's an excerpt from the latest Hasbro earnings report:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I guess I'm not understanding what's so bad about alchemy. I get that the rebalanced cards are in historic but... why is that bad? Historic was already getting the digital format treatment. There were already a bunch of hearthstone-esque cards. Is it just the bigger influx of them that people are frustrated with? Or what

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

sit on my Facebook posted:

I guess I'm not understanding what's so bad about alchemy. I get that the rebalanced cards are in historic but... why is that bad? Historic was already getting the digital format treatment. There were already a bunch of hearthstone-esque cards. Is it just the bigger influx of them that people are frustrated with? Or what

Broadly, speaking it sounds like "Historic is the high power format so when you rebalance a card too strong for standard the result is often a card too weak for historic" "historic was actually in a good place re: balance and this ruins that" and "historic is the only Eternal Format on arena and now it isn't in fact eternal."

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

you dont get a choice. its not "the rebalanced cards are in historic, also" its "the rebalanced cards replace the original versions, in historic"

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Historic already having digital format treatment was a huge mistake. This is doubling down on that mistake and makes it a bigger deal not lesser, imo.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Historic already having digital format treatment was a huge mistake. This is doubling down on that mistake and makes it a bigger deal not lesser, imo.

It's this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
Personally I think the digital-only cards added in Historic Horizons like the merfolk that changes an Island into a Tropical Island were ok, but this new batch of what, 60 cards is mostly obnoxious

Everything has a million lines of text with some dumb effect or gives choices from a sideboard spellbook or has insane value or whatever, I just wouldn't want to see this stuff (or the "rebalanced" cards) in Historic since I enjoy it more than the current lovely Standard but what can you do lol

The only winning move is not to play but I don't want to stop

ALLAN LASSUS fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 10, 2021