Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What are my options regarding mental health and work? Since covid started, Ive been paying my bills driving for doordash. I can usually get pretty consistent income. Lately its been kind of slow and Ive accumulated some credit card debt just from car maintenance and living expenses, and veing sloppy from not budgeting. A big part of this is my mental health being in the shitter and feeling overwhelmed. I also make dumb mistakes like passing a stopped school bus going the opposite way on a four lane main road(realized the second after I did it) and got a $250 ticket plus a $25 late fee.

Sometimes doordash is slow and I struggle to make money, but a lot of times I struggled to be motivated and sit at home all day.

And now there was an issue with some of my medication(i get it shipped from across the country cus i dont have insurance) some ive been off it a couple of days and im stressing out a bit.

I feel so stupid and ashamed. A normal person can manage the bare minimum aspects of their life, and I feel like Im falling apart.

Is there any sort of aid or relief I can look into, or just suck it up and press on? I feel like doordash is the best I can do and im not in a place mentally to handle anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ausmund posted:

What are my options regarding mental health and work? Since covid started, Ive been paying my bills driving for doordash. I can usually get pretty consistent income. Lately its been kind of slow and Ive accumulated some credit card debt just from car maintenance and living expenses, and veing sloppy from not budgeting. A big part of this is my mental health being in the shitter and feeling overwhelmed. I also make dumb mistakes like passing a stopped school bus going the opposite way on a four lane main road(realized the second after I did it) and got a $250 ticket plus a $25 late fee.

Sometimes doordash is slow and I struggle to make money, but a lot of times I struggled to be motivated and sit at home all day.

And now there was an issue with some of my medication(i get it shipped from across the country cus i dont have insurance) some ive been off it a couple of days and im stressing out a bit.

I feel so stupid and ashamed. A normal person can manage the bare minimum aspects of their life, and I feel like Im falling apart.

Is there any sort of aid or relief I can look into, or just suck it up and press on? I feel like doordash is the best I can do and im not in a place mentally to handle anything else.

Sounds like a job for the Goonbucks thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903318&pagenumber=34#lastpost

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Ausmund posted:

don't know how to help with work or money probs but there are affordable mental health clinics that slide pretty far, sometimes down to 20 bucks a session. and that's in socal. i've heard places charge 10-15 if you ask. many of these clinics have students who need hours for their masters so the sites can afford to charge such a low fee. some of the students at these are naturals and great clinicians, some are pretty bleh.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

i extremely love to spend a day being condescended to by a disability lawyer on how 'sure, you might be completely unable to function in day to day life, as evidenced by numerous writings from your therapist and psych, but if you haven't spent x number of hours admitted to a psych hospital there's no way you're gonna get on disability. no, not even if it's a known thing that being out of your own space actively impedes your ability to be stable and develop coping skills and stuff'

god knows i love to be shown just how absolutely impossible it is for me to ever get my life back in order and to get a multi hour lecture on how i shouldnt even try

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Ugh, yeah. I know some places let you do free intake/safe spaces to basically unwind and doing so might be helpful for both that and getting whatever points they want to means test you for.

I'm going through an identical issue except they keep pushing back my decision because I keep going to the doctor and every new change makes them wait and see to see what happens.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

Ausmund posted:

Hi you're not bad or incompetent for not being able to manage finances in an economy that wants to destroy you. No amount of budgeting can get someone over the fact that employers pay less than it takes to live. Many "functional" people either won the job lottery, get help from family, or are sinking into debt. You aren't broken, the American economy is.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I don't think my therapist knows what to do with me. She offered a few silver-linings and rays of hope which I rejected then she just went silent. I said okay I don't have anything else to say she said alright talk to you next week?

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I don't think my therapist knows what to do with me. She offered a few silver-linings and rays of hope which I rejected then she just went silent. I said okay I don't have anything else to say she said alright talk to you next week?

Did you think the "silver linings" were realistic, or just trying to put a positive spin on bad stuff? I think it's really useful to acknowledge the good when things are bad, but it's very harmful to pretend things are good when they are not. My take is that we can't always do much for someone else, but the least we can do is acknowledge what's really happening.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

AceOfFlames posted:

I see your point, I really do. I used to believe that. My childhood dream was to change the world and help people. But the pandemic in particular just seems to have really opened my eyes as to how utterly selfish most people really are. Their brains will literally shut down their empathy the minute their lives are the least bit inconvenienced. Most people will run away from you if you have any sort of problems. You give them gifts and they don’t return your kindness. The only way people consider you a “friend” is essentially if you know only cool places to take them to and only if you knew them literally from childhood. and once they get a family, everyone else ceases to matter (my own mom once told me with no irony “my children are the only people in the world who matter to me. Everyone else can die in a hole for all I care”. I used to think it was just her but now I am convinced this is most people) I don’t expect an EXACT one to one quid pro quo but when I give and give and other people don’t return the favor, I feel like I am being taken advantage of.

You're not wrong.

That doesn't make any of these thoughts especially useful. Focus on what you can do, there's an infinity of things you can't.

The world is what it is and you're seeing the same one as most of the rest of us. The ones who claim to see a better world are telling themselves lies to cope, that's why they get so angry whenever that view gets challenged. That, or they're massively privileged and blind to it.

Got to play the hand you're dealt. Yours is pretty decent, in the grand scheme of things.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I was having issues with terrible anxiety, and finally found a medication that works - buspirone. 7.5mg 2x/day has eliminated I'd say more than half of my anxiety. I can function, as in day to day stuff, mostly, but I'm still having trouble actually working. As a freelancer, that means I'm not making any money. I did all my freelance work for one company exclusively - out of convenience - but as my inability to work has gotten worse they've started to reassign my projects and probably won't work with me when I can't do simple things like "reply to an email". So now I'm at zero with degraded social skills from being cooped up inside for two years. My anxiety is much better (social anxiety probably worse), but my self-sabotaging behavior (hey if you procrastinate doing Task X, then Person Y will be disappointed in you and validate how you feel about yourself!) is still there. I don't think medicine is going to fix that, maybe cognitive behavioral therapy? I keep trying therapists but it's hard to keep up with it when I don't want to talk to them, or have trouble opening up, which is kind of the point of it all? My family is supportive as long as I'm trying to get help, but I've hid a lot of it fairly well.

Do those 10000Lux light therapy lamps really work? I've got a prescription for Vitamin D that I forgot about because I was getting out more in the summer, but I will start taking again. But I'm stuck inside every day and seasonal depression is getting to me and it's about to get a lot worse.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

LifeLynx posted:

Do those 10000Lux light therapy lamps really work? I've got a prescription for Vitamin D that I forgot about because I was getting out more in the summer, but I will start taking again. But I'm stuck inside every day and seasonal depression is getting to me and it's about to get a lot worse.

I bought one, been using it for a week, and I'm taking Vitamin D pills. I can't say that I feel much better, but it's not made anything worse either. I've managed to do a decent job at home office, and gotten a few extra tasks that I've been putting off done; that's not usually how it goes when i get stuck at home and not seeing folks soo... maybe!

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

When I first started vitamin D a few years ago, I remember reading that it can take a few months to really kick in. I googled it, and came up with a few results. I'll link one:

https://www.drugs.com/medical-answers/long-vitamin-work-3555995/

I think it will vary on how deficient you are, and how much vitamin D you're now getting. I hear good things about the lamps, and I think they can help set your body's clock so you sleep better.

It could take 2-4 months for the vitamin D to fully kick in, and the change is gradual. Hopefully you'll feel better sooner than that, though. My seasonal affective disorder is very decreased since I started taking vitamin D.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

I was having issues with terrible anxiety, and finally found a medication that works - buspirone. 7.5mg 2x/day has eliminated I'd say more than half of my anxiety. I can function, as in day to day stuff, mostly, but I'm still having trouble actually working. As a freelancer, that means I'm not making any money. I did all my freelance work for one company exclusively - out of convenience - but as my inability to work has gotten worse they've started to reassign my projects and probably won't work with me when I can't do simple things like "reply to an email". So now I'm at zero with degraded social skills from being cooped up inside for two years. My anxiety is much better (social anxiety probably worse), but my self-sabotaging behavior (hey if you procrastinate doing Task X, then Person Y will be disappointed in you and validate how you feel about yourself!) is still there. I don't think medicine is going to fix that, maybe cognitive behavioral therapy? I keep trying therapists but it's hard to keep up with it when I don't want to talk to them, or have trouble opening up, which is kind of the point of it all? My family is supportive as long as I'm trying to get help, but I've hid a lot of it fairly well.

CBT and a lamp won't help you with self sabotage dude, you gotta bust into your nogg and figure out why you don't wanna succeed. You seem to be in a decent position where you can make a living, but maybe that work isn't what you wanna be doing? idk I'm not a brain wizard, but maybe try a method that isn't thought homework instead of CBT. talk therapy?

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

LifeLynx posted:

It's pretty cool you figured out how that process works. Ive had clients in their 60's who didn't understand the mechanism and how much of an impact it had on their lives so ur ahead of the game there. that self-hate sounds pretty thick though. a question to think about then is "who taught me to hate myself so well?" . and yeah like another poster said a lamp's probably not going to flip a switch in your brain that makes you stop hating yourself. but it may increase your energy level and other positive stuff which might give you the energy you need to work on yourself and go through that poo poo to change. i say check it out, why not right?

and regarding the cognitive behavioral therapy....eh...i dunno. there are 100 other types of therapy but that one got boosted to gently caress because insurance companies love it because it's cheaper. it's actually an outlier. most other therapy is just talking, making a human connection with someone, and healing through being heard and understanding yourself. there is patience and care in the room. CBT is basically, "Client Will Reduce Self-Sabotaging Behavior From 10x a Week to 4x a Week." and it's as silly as it sounds in some cases. like how would u do that lol? just don't do it? wish it was that easy. i kid you not, you can find old CBT sheets from the 80s that say "Client Will Reduce Homosexual Thoughts From 10x a Week to 4x a Week."

The research conducted for CBT has been a topic of sustained controversy. While some researchers write that CBT is more effective than other treatments,[92] many other researchers[19][206][17][93][207] and practitioners[208][209] have questioned the validity of such claims. For example, one study[92] determined CBT to be superior to other treatments in treating anxiety and depression. However, researchers[17] responding directly to that study conducted a re-analysis and found no evidence of CBT being superior to other bona fide treatments, and conducted an analysis of thirteen other CBT clinical trials and determined that they failed to provide evidence of CBT superiority.

take a wild guess who funded the study that found it successful. i cant tell you how much it pains me that the propaganda has been so succesful that when people think therapy they think CBT. then they have lukewarm or no success and write off therapy forever.

edit: sorry just loling at this

Additional sub-analysis revealed that CBT studies where therapists in the test group were instructed to adhere to the Beck CBT manual had a steeper decline in effect sizes since 1977 than studies where therapists in the test group were instructed to use CBT without a manual.

the better u do CBT the less effective it is lol

thehandtruck has issued a correction as of 15:59 on Dec 11, 2021

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I've had best effect when I've, yeah, just had someone to talk to try to figure out what's "normal" because I've been (and am) in some absurd situations and my parents cross the line from "generic chud boomers" to full ":stonk:", and I feel I need someone to say to me that what they're doing isn't okay.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I completely believe it. I improved quite a bit after an 8-week intensive outpatient CBT program, and I honestly think it was in spite of the CBT not because of it. When the "therapists" followed the script, it was basically an interrogation of the patient. They tried to logic away people's trauma by convincing people it wasn't real. When it turned out that the trauma was in fact real, they would say things like "I don't want to diminish that." You just did! The practitioners I dealt with came across as accusative. "It doesn't sound like you want to get better." One therapist was awesome, and by the time I finished to program she was moving on to greener pastures. I was genuinely glad for her. I had a workbook, and I went through it in detail. I found the parts about definitions and mechanisms of emotions useful, but who knows if I'd agree with it if I re-read it today.

In retrospect, the best therapist in the program wasn't actually practicing CBT lol. The peer support aspect was the most helpful. I was finally no longer a subject to be studied, lectured and "fixed." I was just a normal person dealing with the bullshit of life along with other people. We would commiserate about the lovely therapists on break, and that was incredibly validating. I didn't learn about the concept of validation until afterward. The therapist they had me see the most in the CBT program would snidely accuse people of "avoidance" if they didn't make it to the program by 8am in the morning. That's a lot to ask of someone in crisis, especially when they're forced to do it in order to earn their freedom from the inpatient side. I legitimately believe he drove people away from the program, and I wouldn't be surprised if he cost multiple people their lives. He made me feel guilty for not having a psychiatrist, as if I was avoiding it. I was trying to navigate our hellscape of a medical system to get one, and offices weren't returning my calls. I didn't get one until a university social worker did all of the legwork for me.

I think taking a step back and analyzing a situation can be useful for catastrophizing, but that doesn't help when someone is genuinely experiencing trauma. We need human connection, not some telemarketer-style flowchart.

Ronwayne posted:

I've had best effect when I've, yeah, just had someone to talk to try to figure out what's "normal" because I've been (and am) in some absurd situations and my parents cross the line from "generic chud boomers" to full ":stonk:", and I feel I need someone to say to me that what they're doing isn't okay.

Same. Depression and anxiety can be so lonely. They're hard enough on their own, but people who disbelieve me make me feel like I'm crazy on top of it. I do my best to never put anyone through that.

I went out to dinner with the other members of our local NAMI's board last night. It was nice, and I feel like I've actually connected with the ones who I had issues with. I was surprised to find out that the mother of a peer friend was also interested in Dungeons & Dragons. I told a few stories about my bard's silly antics in our current campaign, and people actually seemed interested. I'm stealing everything that isn't nailed down when the paladins aren't looking, and doing my best to corrupt them when they're paying attention. The other players are enjoying the interaction (for now). A few board members seem interested in bringing our NAMI chapter into the 21st century with me. I'm the resident nerd and tech guy, and it can be challenging to get baby boomers on board with new technology. Some of them are receptive enough to listen, and we're setting up a better website, better password management, online/video resources, and digital payment/donation systems. I was enjoying the peace and quiet of not having a functioning phone, but people kept asking me why I wasn't responding to them haha.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I'm glad things are working out, but yeah:

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I completely believe it. I improved quite a bit after an 8-week intensive

In retrospect, the best therapist in the program wasn't actually practicing CBT lol. The peer support aspect was the most helpful. I was finally no longer a subject to be studied, lectured and "fixed." ...

I think taking a step back and analyzing a situation can be useful for catastrophizing, but that doesn't help when someone is genuinely experiencing trauma. We need human connection, not some telemarketer-style flowchart.

We talk about industrialism's afflictions on us economically and materially, but I think we often overlook how insidiously industrial ideology treats human beings as industrial processes to be shoved into a system, and people made to serve the system much more than the opposite (and not just through capitalist poison, I think the post USSR left needs to reckon with the legacy of industrialism and industrial thinking as well). Kind of like the Butlerian Jihad in Dune being not only against machines that think like a man, but men thinking like machines, and especially in this case people who believe other people should think like machines.

All of us in this thread and everyone else as well struggles every day with the industrialist conception of what a healthy mind and body is, and how they are to be cured when they are not. This is not anti-medicine so much as genuinely wanting the entire field to progress (See homosexuality being dropped from the DSM, etc)

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 22:02 on Dec 11, 2021

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

You're not wrong.

That doesn't make any of these thoughts especially useful. Focus on what you can do, there's an infinity of things you can't.

The world is what it is and you're seeing the same one as most of the rest of us. The ones who claim to see a better world are telling themselves lies to cope, that's why they get so angry whenever that view gets challenged. That, or they're massively privileged and blind to it.

Got to play the hand you're dealt. Yours is pretty decent, in the grand scheme of things.

I agree with this post.

WhyZodiac
Oct 29, 2015

Ramrod XTreme
I am doing a quiz tonight for all my fellow shut ins.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987506

Come along and alleviate the boredom.

WhyZodiac
Oct 29, 2015

Ramrod XTreme
Me and the four people who joined in seemed to have fun with the music quiz.

Here are the remaining prizes for people in this thread.

0406DCE-546A80DF0F-D6BD2
353B39E-280B768DA1-4E2B0
9D5F8C2-7073C72C45-80843
BEB6C5B-6EC0525D72-3EB5C
FDE8A83-EABB6D6503-7B782
F95D0C6-B19BFDD5AD-81275

Those are vouchers for SA custom titles which I assume are avatar changes.

I PM'd Uganda Loves Me with two of them because they touched my life in a positive way without even knowing it.

Who is up for dedicating 2022 to sorting it all out?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I try to dedicate each year to sorting out at least one major thing. It's been painful at times, but there seems to be somewhat of a momentum to it. Last year one thing got resolved, this year two. I might dare to hope for three in 2022, despite it all things are going pretty well.

WhyZodiac
Oct 29, 2015

Ramrod XTreme

thotsky posted:

I try to dedicate each year to sorting out at least one major thing. It's been painful at times, but there seems to be somewhat of a momentum to it. Last year one thing got resolved, this year two. I might dare to hope for three in 2022, despite it all things are going pretty well.

What are the three?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

WhyZodiac posted:

What are the three?

I would like to lose some weight. My health is fine, and I carry it alright, but I don't like the way it makes my face so round. Just does not look like me in the mirror.

I should try dating. In a few days I will have been single for a year. I don't feel ready at all though. I no longer believe there's nobody out there that would suit me, having spoken to some really cool people this year, but actually putting myself out there is scary.

I would like to make some new friends. I do have friends, but they're getting busy with kids, and scheduling is getting harder with age in general. I have a few acquaintances that seem like they could maybe go somewhere, but it's been sort of difficult to take that step that gets them involved in my life. I might have blown it with some of them, but I should still give it a shot, and if it does not work out find some other people to hang out with.

These issues are not huge in the grand scheme of things, but they're issues I have not had the capacity to deal with until now.

thotsky has issued a correction as of 02:54 on Dec 12, 2021

WhyZodiac
Oct 29, 2015

Ramrod XTreme

thotsky posted:

I would like to lose some weight. My health is fine, and I carry it alright, but I don't like the way it makes my face so round. Just does not look like me in the mirror.

I should try dating. In a few days I will have been single for a year. I don't feel ready at all though. I no longer believe there's nobody out there that would suit me, having spoken to some really cool people this year, but actually putting myself out there is scary.

I would like to mske some new friends. I do have friends, but they're getting busy with kids, and scheduling is getting harder with age in general. I have a few acquaintances that seem like they could maybe go somewhere, but it's been sort of difficult to find the right opportunity to actually get them involved in my life. I think I might have blown it with some of them, but I should still give it a shot, and if it does not work out find some other people to hang out with.

These issues are maybe not huge, in the grand scheme of things, but they're issues I have not had the capacity to deal with until now.

Thank you for sharing.

I am not going to do that whole thing where I reply offering advice that I don't follow to deal with these.

However, if you ever want a new friend, just give me a shout. I am going to assume you are in the US, I am in the UK but with today's technology, who cares.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

WhyZodiac posted:

Who is up for dedicating 2022 to sorting it all out?

That's a "gently caress no" from me, dawg.

I'm gonna spend 2022 with good music and good food, 2021 put me through a real wringer. Granted, it's been a good year for figuring out why I'm so angry - turns out I needed to be angrier all along - but that's seriously exhausting. Upside to getting the angriest I've ever been and burning bridges is that now a bunch of things that bothered me are gone.

No more waiting for things to get better for me, no more deciding I'm now solving a bunch of problems I'd have solved ages ago if I knew how.

I can absolutely recommend burning bridges with irredeemable bigots though.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

WhyZodiac posted:

Thank you for sharing.

I am not going to do that whole thing where I reply offering advice that I don't follow to deal with these.

However, if you ever want a new friend, just give me a shout. I am going to assume you are in the US, I am in the UK but with today's technology, who cares.

Norway, actually. If you’re interested in virtual ghost hunting I will send you an invite next time I have a phasmophobia game coming up.

WhyZodiac
Oct 29, 2015

Ramrod XTreme

thotsky posted:

Norway, actually. If you’re interested in virtual ghost hunting I will send you an invite next time I have a phasmophobia game coming up.

... send that invite there and I will give it a go.

WhyZodiac has issued a correction as of 12:31 on Dec 12, 2021

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I find if I'm thinking about my accomplishments and looking forward to new ones, it's a sign that I'm doing better. I'd been thinking about growing some plants, and a friend from NAMI gave me a small basil plant. So far so good, and I'm enjoying watching it grow.

I have a bunch of painting supplies sitting around now, and I wouldn't mind getting back into that. I think I mostly just want to be less hard on myself for not meeting my/others' expectations.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I'm always interested in finding good friends. Love to chat or game or whatever.

Uganda Loves Me has issued a correction as of 04:00 on Dec 12, 2021

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

thotsky posted:

I would like to make some new friends. I do have friends, but they're getting busy with kids, and scheduling is getting harder with age in general. I have a few acquaintances that seem like they could maybe go somewhere, but it's been sort of difficult to take that step that gets them involved in my life. I might have blown it with some of them, but I should still give it a shot, and if it does not work out find some other people to hang out with.

These issues are not huge in the grand scheme of things, but they're issues I have not had the capacity to deal with until now.

do you have a plan for weight loss? i have absolutely no contructive advice to give on the last two but i did get some progress on weight loss this year with just simple calorie tracking

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

StashAugustine posted:

do you have a plan for weight loss? i have absolutely no contructive advice to give on the last two but i did get some progress on weight loss this year with just simple calorie tracking

I have done calorie tracking / low-carb before and it worked well, although for some of that I was on wellbutrin and that definitely helped.

Food is both a passion and a soothing mechanism, so with that approach I basically have to be miserable all the time. I want to try fasting instead, at least in the short term, and since I am doing better I feel like most of my snacking is just a habit at this point.

I did consider getting back on wellbutrin because it would be convenient for weight loss and because I struggle with SAD at this time of year, but I don't really know how realistic that is. I bought a light therapy lamp and have been taking vitamin D supplements instead, but not sure if it is working yet.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

i unintentionally lost 70lbs (was 185) in like a year mostly from getting a generic adderall prescription but maybe partially related to my dad and sister dying. unfortunately a lot of that weight loss was probably muscle atrophy as i stopped going to the gym and drinking protein shakes

legal speed has definitely cut my hunger to almost 0 though. i have the opposite problem where i'm trying to gain weight

so i guess that's a lovely life hack if you're trying to lose weight. double bonus of actually being able to focus on things you dont care about anymore

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Yes I also lost about 40 pounds in a few months during a bout of extreme depression and amphetamine use

I don't think it's good weight loss advice though

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Raine posted:

i unintentionally lost 70lbs (was 185) in like a year mostly from getting a generic adderall prescription but maybe partially related to my dad and sister dying. unfortunately a lot of that weight loss was probably muscle atrophy as i stopped going to the gym and drinking protein shakes

legal speed has definitely cut my hunger to almost 0 though. i have the opposite problem where i'm trying to gain weight

so i guess that's a lovely life hack if you're trying to lose weight. double bonus of actually being able to focus on things you dont care about anymore

Haha, ditto, albiet my experience was not so extreme, I've only manage to lose 10 lbs but that's due to being in a bad situation where I can't really control what specific food is available to eat. Here's hoping it goes down more.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I've lost about 50 lbs this year on purpose. Things that feel like they worked for me:

Get a food scale and log everything. Be realistic about how much hunger you can tolerate. Try to be strategic about what foods provide you with the most satiation per calorie (e.g. cooking with oil doesn't make me much more full but is a ton of calories. Conversely 200cal of popcorn feels very filling to me). Running has made it easier for me to go stretches without eating and provided a substitute structure to my day that isn't a meal. Drink lots of water.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I finally started on that daily stoic journal book. I'm enjoying it. I had concerns about dividing the world up into things under my control and things not under my control, but they were all addressed in the introduction. If nothing else, it'll be useful for getting outside of my own head and being more aware of different perspectives. I get in that depression tunnel-vision where I'm not paying much attention to more than what is right in front of me, and I think this will help pull me out of that.

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Tulip posted:

I've lost about 50 lbs this year on purpose. Things that feel like they worked for me:

Get a food scale and log everything. Be realistic about how much hunger you can tolerate. Try to be strategic about what foods provide you with the most satiation per calorie (e.g. cooking with oil doesn't make me much more full but is a ton of calories. Conversely 200cal of popcorn feels very filling to me). Running has made it easier for me to go stretches without eating and provided a substitute structure to my day that isn't a meal. Drink lots of water.

Awesome work here; I recently quit soda, and I'm about a month in. I don't miss it, but it's crazy to think how my anxiety was tied with my binge soda drinking when I sit down and think about it.

Keep up the great work!

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I find if I'm thinking about my accomplishments and looking forward to new ones, it's a sign that I'm doing better. I'd been thinking about growing some plants, and a friend from NAMI gave me a small basil plant. So far so good, and I'm enjoying watching it grow.

I have a bunch of painting supplies sitting around now, and I wouldn't mind getting back into that. I think I mostly just want to be less hard on myself for not meeting my/others' expectations.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I'm always interested in finding good friends. Love to chat or game or whatever.

If I remember correctly, you were trying to develop some green thumb skills right?

Congrats on the new plant.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I finally started on that daily stoic journal book. I'm enjoying it. I had concerns about dividing the world up into things under my control and things not under my control, but they were all addressed in the introduction. If nothing else, it'll be useful for getting outside of my own head and being more aware of different perspectives. I get in that depression tunnel-vision where I'm not paying much attention to more than what is right in front of me, and I think this will help pull me out of that.

That's useful, but what drives me nuts is documenting things I have partial control over, and the exact degree of which fluctuates wildly with context, and failure to understand the exact amount of control I have in this extremely fluid, drama laden situation will lead to even more pain.

And in general "If that's your best your best won't do." The rear end in a top hat depression in my head is the sort of pendant that attaches asterisks and [citation needed] to all of my internal dialogue.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wanted to mention that just the act of making something, anything, had a restorative effect on me once I got done and stepped back to take a look at the results.

Woodworking, knitting, painting-- if it's something that gives you a tangible object you can show off, it helps reduce the alienation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Ronwayne posted:

That's useful, but what drives me nuts is documenting things I have partial control over, and the exact degree of which fluctuates wildly with context, and failure to understand the exact amount of control I have in this extremely fluid, drama laden situation will lead to even more pain.

And in general "If that's your best your best won't do." The rear end in a top hat depression in my head is the sort of pendant that attaches asterisks and [citation needed] to all of my internal dialogue.

Yeah, partial control was my main concern with this approach. That's next week's chapter, so we'll see if I agree with what I read. I don't want to just accept that the world at large is beyond my influence, even if it nearly entirely is. I honestly don't know how much direct control I even have over my own thoughts and emotions. I can try to redirect them, but a lot of it happens automatically. I actually found that the first chapter has reduced my anxiety a bit. I've attempted other anxiety books/workbooks, and they usually just ramp up my anxiety.

I'm trying to find a balance between giving a poo poo about the world around me, while not being overwhelmed by it. I tend to spend too much time doomscrolling through bad news, then tuning it all out when I become overwhelmed. Maybe this will help? A nudge to make myself regularly practice introspection should be useful.

Josherino posted:

If I remember correctly, you were trying to develop some green thumb skills right?

Congrats on the new plant.

Thanks! I think life in general is fascinating. Biology was always my favorite subject growing up. Seeing an organism grow and flourish with just a bit of dirt, water and sunlight is neat.