Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Torn between asking for a couple dollars more per hour without taking benefits (my wife’s are much better and wouldn’t penalize her either), or just accepting this offer as-is. I had to email back this HR guy with a follow-up after not hearing from him by noon yesterday, and he sent me an employee handbook which answered most of the questions I had about PTO, etc. No company holidays here, which is expected if not ideal, but my main concern now is the start date of the 14th. In the interview I made the mistake of answering that I could technically start after Thanksgiving when it’d be ideal to start after NYE. Am I gonna be an rear end in a top hat for asking to change that date? Would you actually push back on hourly pay if you aren’t taking the health benefits (I may have to take them regardless), or would you leave it alone? My concern there is, from friends in the industry, for someone like me with a nine year gap in experience, the hourly pay I was offered is kind of slightly above average. Is this something to gently caress around with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If its a big company they won't care about the benefits thing. My budget is tied to salary, whether or not you take benefits may impact the company's bottom line but it doesn't impact my teams budget so I don't care and don't really think about it as a negotiating tactic. This is more useful if it's a smaller company but even then I don't know that I'd believe you anyway.

However, if you're really talking about "A couple bucks an hour" then yes ask. If you don't know how to frame it you can say: "I am talking with other companies but I preference is your company. If you are able to offer x+$3/hr (or whatever) I will happily accept the offer now. That won't get you rejected and the worst they can do is say no and then you have the same offer anyway.

For an hourly position I'd actually be a little leary about pushing a start date 30 days out like that if you already said "after thanksgiving". Its possible but were I hiring I'd be a lot more worried about that vs the wage increase. It all depends on your needs but it's a bit of a hiring red flag if the candidate keeps trying to push the start date.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Lockback posted:

If its a big company they won't care about the benefits thing. My budget is tied to salary, whether or not you take benefits may impact the company's bottom line but it doesn't impact my teams budget so I don't care and don't really think about it as a negotiating tactic. This is more useful if it's a smaller company but even then I don't know that I'd believe you anyway.

However, if you're really talking about "A couple bucks an hour" then yes ask. If you don't know how to frame it you can say: "I am talking with other companies but I preference is your company. If you are able to offer x+$3/hr (or whatever) I will happily accept the offer now. That won't get you rejected and the worst they can do is say no and then you have the same offer anyway.

For an hourly position I'd actually be a little leary about pushing a start date 30 days out like that if you already said "after thanksgiving". Its possible but were I hiring I'd be a lot more worried about that vs the wage increase. It all depends on your needs but it's a bit of a hiring red flag if the candidate keeps trying to push the start date.

I am literally talking about one or two bucks an hour tops, I'm under few to no illusions on that front. I got a call from a recruiter for another regional airline before I could draft an email to the HR dept for the current company, so I am also going to call them back and talk to them, so will possibly have two companies to choose between. The only problem is, my start date is the 14th for this one, so not a lot of time to interview and hope for an offer, make assessments on whether or not it's right for me, etc. As to the healthcare, it's rather expensive, and if I don't take it, it's not coming out of my paycheck, right? Or do I have no choice there?

Also, what do you mean when you say you don't know you'd believe me anyway? FWIW this is a smaller company, a commuter airline. Mechanics don't start out at a high rate of pay, and some are starting out at $17/hr base pay. That's why I'm worried about pushing it since I'm being offered $25.50/hr base. But if I can get to where it's at least not coming out of my paycheck, I may not ask for anything else anyway. I'm good starting on the 14th, not sure if I'd truly have to work Christmas Eve and NYE given I'd still be brand new, but it's not the most ideal scenario for my family. I will most likely drop that one since my wife and I at least discussed it and we know Christmas Day is on a Saturday and so is NYD.

Edit: got pay upped to $26/hr offered, but my other statement about a planned trip in about six months wasn’t addressed at all. Meanwhile I spoke to the recruiter at this other company, and they typically do $3-4 less and a different schedule completely. I set up an interview for Friday, but honestly the more I think about it the less interested I am, and want to give an answer to the current offer asap if they will ever address each question rather than making me follow up on at least one.

If I did accept this job before this other interview, is that kosher to cancel that interview? Unsure of the etiquette here. Or do I keep the interview and hold out on accepting the offer until I do this interview and see what they end up offering?

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 1, 2021

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

life is killing me posted:

Edit: got pay upped to $26/hr offered, but my other statement about a planned trip in about six months wasn’t addressed at all. Meanwhile I spoke to the recruiter at this other company, and they typically do $3-4 less and a different schedule completely. I set up an interview for Friday, but honestly the more I think about it the less interested I am, and want to give an answer to the current offer asap if they will ever address each question rather than making me follow up on at least one.

If I did accept this job before this other interview, is that kosher to cancel that interview? Unsure of the etiquette here. Or do I keep the interview and hold out on accepting the offer until I do this interview and see what they end up offering?

Tell the current company that you'd like to accept their offer, but you have a vacation coming up from Dates X-X 6 months out that you want to know if they can accommodate. Most places are pretty cool about that sort of thing, especially if you give a lot of notice.

You can also ask about Xmas and NYE off, but don't be shocked if they say no. They may think you're too green to work those days, but you're also the low man on the totem pole, so who knows? Be upfront, but not aggressive.

If you accept the offer with the current company before your interview, just call or email the other company and tell them that you thank them for the opportunity to interview, but have decided to accept a job elsewhere. They will likely thank you for letting them know, then grab the next resume from the pile.

If not, go ahead and go, see what they have to offer. You can always withdraw your candidacy or let them know you got a job elsewhere if you're offered a position after accepting your current offer.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
You can always not take a benefit, nothing should come out of your paycheck then. When I say "I don't believe you" is if you say "I won't take the health insurance, so pay me more" then 2 months later you can still say "I want health insurance" and legally I still need to provide it for FT employees. So its not a good negotiation tactic since I can't really hold you to it.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Lockback posted:

You can always not take a benefit, nothing should come out of your paycheck then. When I say "I don't believe you" is if you say "I won't take the health insurance, so pay me more" then 2 months later you can still say "I want health insurance" and legally I still need to provide it for FT employees. So its not a good negotiation tactic since I can't really hold you to it.

Oh, that makes sense. I did wrangle $.50 extra an hour out of them and stopped pushing after that. I accepted the job offer not long after. So begins the onboarding, drug testing, fingerprinting, etc

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Had another interview for a job I would describe as a "dream job" and feeling like I didn't do well enough. I was feeling good while prepping with my partner, but then the questions came and I wasn't feeling a lot of enthusiasm on the other end. I can prep but I'm not sure what else I can do at this point to improve my job prospects. I'm super qualified for this one and know I would do an amazing job but kind of feel like I failed to communicate that. :sigh:
OK, so weirdly, I was selected for the next round for this job - a panel interview. I need to murder this. I want this fuckin job so bad.

So far I've just been prepping with my partner for these interviews, and I feel like sometimes they go well, sometimes not so well. What else should I be doing?

Honestly if there is an interview prepping service out there I would happily pay for it

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 2, 2021

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
You'll probably get a bunch of "tell me about a time when" questions. Prep a list of situations you've gone through that you can speak to, along with what you want the takeaway to be. That way, you'll have options to pick from rather than coming up with them on the spot, and you won't keep using the same situation to fit multiple questions.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I have another interview tomorrow morning at 9am with a different company, but I have received no communication or links since this interview was set up two days ago. Truth be told I kind of wanted to cancel it, but as I am doing onboarding I still don’t have an employment agreement so I don’t wanna turn down an interview just in case. That said, I have no idea how this interview is gonna happen, because I don’t know what media over which it will take place. I have asked the recruiter (I don’t have his email so had to text him) if we are still on for tomorrow but what do I do if I don’t hear from him?

I just don’t want them thinking I simply didn’t deign to show up to an interview, they could be a good prospect down the line so I’m not trying to burn bridges. But, if I don’t know how the interview is going to be held, and I don’t hear back from this guy, what choice do I have but to sit there and continue onboarding for this current job?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Honestly if there is an interview prepping service out there I would happily pay for it

Have you considered hiring a professional career coach? I engaged one through Airtasker just to give me a bit of help with preparing a written application for a government role, but she also gave me some great feedback on my performance in a mock interview.

eta if you're in Australia I'd be happy to give you her contact details

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Two emails with a question about the fingerprint cards and no response.

They sent a jpeg with an example fingerprint card, and it’s different from what the police station had. Is it likely they are going to care what type it is (this one appears to be an employment-type card that they want) as long as it has all the information they need? They have been stressing urgency and expediency, but aren’t being expedient in response. Am I overthinking this?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'd imagine if it has all the key info it's fine.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

bee posted:

Have you considered hiring a professional career coach? I engaged one through Airtasker just to give me a bit of help with preparing a written application for a government role, but she also gave me some great feedback on my performance in a mock interview.

eta if you're in Australia I'd be happy to give you her contact details
I hadn't really looked into that but maybe I should. I'm based in the US east coast unfortunately.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

I hadn't really looked into that but maybe I should. I'm based in the US east coast unfortunately.

if you went to a reasonably good undergrad instruction with a career services dept they will do mock interviews if you ask nicely - at least mine does, NESCAC power baby go 'bos

i'd offer to do a mock interview with you but i suspect i would do a bad job

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Lockback posted:

I'd imagine if it has all the key info it's fine.

I still haven’t heard back from anyone, to the point I’m wondering if their HR and security departments are off on Fridays. So I’m just gonna send what I have with the info they specifically instructed I put on there, rather than wait too much longer.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I'm updating my resume, and this time it's before I want to leave my current job, just to have it done in advance. I re-read the OP, which was a massive help the last three time's I've updated my resume. However, something's hitting different when I look at my Windows 95 looking Word doc from the before times. I think what's changed is that I have now read like 12-15 peoples' resumes since then. I was seeing them as being part of the hiring process, but also a few ex-coworkers reached out to ask if I'd help since they knew I English good. Both were new experiences for me.

At least half if not more of them were two columns, with the main body taking up the 2/3s column, with the other for misc stats and personal information. The smaller column was almost always tinted in some way, sometimes in full color like blue or something, which I admit seems odd for something you might print. Of course, with all this formatting, I know that commonly you won't get the actual resume but a digest of the information within, particularly with a recruiter, but not every time since obviously the recruiter we worked with was giving us their normal unredacted resumes.

I know that the verbiage. the information, and the selling is more important than anything else, but if the hiring manager is going to look at this piece of paper for 20 seconds, shouldn't I take every advantage I can, especially if I'm in no rush? I looked up some templates and advice, but all the sites said was "1 maybe 2 pages, 10-12 point clear font, maintain spacing single or 1.5 line spacing" and nothing deeper about the "layout" for lack of a better term.

The OP doesn't cover this sort of thing. Is there any goonsencsus on the actual formatting of resumes?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Magnetic North posted:

I'm updating my resume, and this time it's before I want to leave my current job, just to have it done in advance. I re-read the OP, which was a massive help the last three time's I've updated my resume. However, something's hitting different when I look at my Windows 95 looking Word doc from the before times. I think what's changed is that I have now read like 12-15 peoples' resumes since then. I was seeing them as being part of the hiring process, but also a few ex-coworkers reached out to ask if I'd help since they knew I English good. Both were new experiences for me.

At least half if not more of them were two columns, with the main body taking up the 2/3s column, with the other for misc stats and personal information. The smaller column was almost always tinted in some way, sometimes in full color like blue or something, which I admit seems odd for something you might print. Of course, with all this formatting, I know that commonly you won't get the actual resume but a digest of the information within, particularly with a recruiter, but not every time since obviously the recruiter we worked with was giving us their normal unredacted resumes.

I know that the verbiage. the information, and the selling is more important than anything else, but if the hiring manager is going to look at this piece of paper for 20 seconds, shouldn't I take every advantage I can, especially if I'm in no rush? I looked up some templates and advice, but all the sites said was "1 maybe 2 pages, 10-12 point clear font, maintain spacing single or 1.5 line spacing" and nothing deeper about the "layout" for lack of a better term.

The OP doesn't cover this sort of thing. Is there any goonsencsus on the actual formatting of resumes?

If youre in the US:
Not really.
Dont put a picture of yourself.
Make it easy to read at a glance both printed out and as a pdf
Make it a PDF so recruiters can't easily edit it and so that it renders consistently.
Using a common resume template makes it easier for automated systems to read, saving you time on application.

EDIT: Some goons are very opinionated on color. Me personally, if the design is simple/nice printed in both color and B&W, thats better than a more plain resume. I use a resume w/color. Showing you put some thought into things and that you putting thought results in a better product is a great skill no matter the job. You can of course gently caress this up, which I think is why so many recommend black and white. There are MANY MANY goons ITT who, despite getting clear advice, just want to jump in the well and keep digging. Hence giving them the conservative advice.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 4, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Nah if you're not applying for a creative job don't use color, it's not worth investing time/energy on. The potential gain is miniscule, anyone worth working for doesn't give a poo poo if it's not a creative job, and coming over as a tryhard is not a good thing in a job search context no matter what Boomers (who aren't hiring managers and never have been) think.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I used a little muted color in my resume because it matched the profiling of the organization I sorta already was working in and was applying to a different branch of (massive healthcare organization). I wouldn't do it otherwise.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I like the 2 column format for someone early in their career. If you're later you might need the real estate a single column gives you, and 2 column/2 pages can be a headache (easy to miss details). That said you can make it work. Amusingly, I am probably going BACK to a 1 page resume now that I can handwaive a lot of my IC work at this point, so as someone 20 years into my career I'll probably play with a 2 column format. Roundabout way of saying there is no 1 true answer.

I don't mind a little color, but it absolutely should be muted and reasonably neutral. I dunno if that looks tryhard anymore, it's pretty easy to do.

100% agree, no picture, make sure the details are easy to find at a glance, PDF is superior.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Magnetic North posted:

No, there's no clear consensus around format.

My own personal opinion is that a resume is a tool for a specific purpose, so make it really good at that specific purpose. A hiring manager should be able to look at your resume and learn the 1-2 things that are most important for her hiring needs in under 10 seconds. If your resume accomplishes that, you're in the top 10% of resumes.

For me (A STEM hiring manager), those two things are 1) Does the candidate have a relevant degree from a good institution*? and 2) Does the candidate have recent relevant experience?

A "yes" on both practically guarantees a phone screen.

Edit: * My definition of "good institution" is likely far wider than you're thinking.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 6, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

My own personal opinion is that a resume is a tool for a specific purpose, so make it really good at that specific purpose. A hiring manager should be able to look at you resume and learn the 1-2 things that are most important for her hiring needs in under 10 seconds. If your resume accomplishes that, you're in the top 10% of resumes.

This is pretty much the gold advice. Ask yourself "What does this need to do?" and make sure it does it. Another bit of advice, a lot of people do multiple things and when going to the job market are looking at 2 or more job profiles. Strongly consider having a resume to match each profile.

Before my management lobotomy was complete, I had an IC resume, a manager resume and even a Project/Program manager resume (even though that job would require gently caress you money).

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I have an interview today in another division of the municipal gov't agency I've been at for 6 years. I was able to see the calendar of the interviewers and saw that they're interviewing someone already in that division just before me. I'm sure it's for the same position.

What are my chances? We're both at the same title, have equal amounts of experience at this agency, and are otherwise equally qualified. It's a design role, and I assume her portfolio has more relevant experience than mine but mine likely has more work and higher $$ budgets than hers.

How do I increase my odds in the next 2 hours, lol.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Probably not much you can do, but start thinking now how you answer questions and think on how to highlight specifically your strengths (it's better to highlight strengths instead of trying to mitigate weaknesses).

If you don't get it, don't fret. There's limited positions and a job interview isn't a measurement of your worth as a person. Shoot your best shot and if it doesn't work don't second guess yourself

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Lockback posted:

Probably not much you can do, but start thinking now how you answer questions and think on how to highlight specifically your strengths (it's better to highlight strengths instead of trying to mitigate weaknesses).

If you don't get it, don't fret. There's limited positions and a job interview isn't a measurement of your worth as a person. Shoot your best shot and if it doesn't work don't second guess yourself

Thanks, this is helpful! I'm going through my portfolio/resume and highlighting stregnths now.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
If you have positive examples of when your current work has overlapped with this other division, focus on those.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Thanks, this is helpful! I'm going through my portfolio/resume and highlighting stregnths now.

How'd it go?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
How long should I wait before following up with the recruiter at a company for an update after what was marketed as my "final interview?"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

How long should I wait before following up with the recruiter at a company for an update after what was marketed as my "final interview?"

You get 1 followup. But I think a week is a solid timeframe, less than that it's probably inertia, more than that they may be dragging feet.

Also keep in mind there's lots of PTO and vacations right now, so approvals or checks might be slow.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

OK, so weirdly, I was selected for the next round for this job - a panel interview. I need to murder this. I want this fuckin job so bad.

So far I've just been prepping with my partner for these interviews, and I feel like sometimes they go well, sometimes not so well. What else should I be doing?

This went pretty well. I'm supposed to have a call later today about the salary range, which they haven't told me about so far. My BATNA sucks as I am desperate to get out of the job I'm in, so if it's remotely reasonable I'll have to just say yes I think.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It doesn't matter how desperate you are. Always negotiate.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Last time I negotiated I didn't get the job, seemingly as a consequence, and that was in February. I spent the rest of this year applying for jobs. I think I basically have to take whatever, man.

The one thing I will be negotiating is permanent remote work as I wouldn't even leave this hellish job to leave :wrongcity: for DC again, hell no.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

But that's actually one of the very important reasons why it's crucial to always negotiate: any company that pulls the offer for negotiating is, 100%, a horrific nightmare to work for. By negotiating you dodged a bullet.

I know how it feels when you hate your job and are desperate to escape it. But it's important to remember that it can get worse.

Seriously. When you get an offer, negotiate. It doesn't have to be a ton. Just ask for a little extra, and do it with confidence. No worthwhile company will ever pull the offer for that. At worst they'll just say "no, the offer is firm."

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Lockback posted:

How'd it go?

It went well, I made a convincing argument and feel good about how it went. One of the interviewers complimented my portfolio, and generally the three were in a better mood at the end than the beginning. Now I just gotta wait like three months to find out, lol ... loving government timetables.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

This went pretty well. I'm supposed to have a call later today about the salary range, which they haven't told me about so far. My BATNA sucks as I am desperate to get out of the job I'm in, so if it's remotely reasonable I'll have to just say yes I think.
Read my recent posts in the Negotiating and Corporate threads.

I'm beyond desperate and would take $whatever just to get away from my current role.

I still negotiated $+25% and an extra week of vacation.

People who negotiate higher pay are seen as more competent than people who don't negotiate. The effect is very sticky and persistent.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Well, I told him I want the high end of the salary range, at least. They said they're still interviewing a couple of other people for the role. I desperately want this fuckin job, but I am also cursed by an ancient Senegalese bad luck talisman I bought from an antiques store in a subway station, so obviously I will never ever get a new job and will be stuck in my current one forever (nearly 2 years so far of applying for jobs and getting nada.)

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I have an interview with Meta tomorrow, and I cannot find the energy to practice or anything

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Omne posted:

I have an interview with Meta tomorrow, and I cannot find the energy to practice or anything

Thats weird. Who wouldn't be excited about serving boomers more ivermectin ads?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I've had a terrible Summer for job interviews. I'll get 2 or 3 levels in and then phibbbbbbit. On the plus side I've gotten much better at interviewing. On the negative side, apparently not good enough.

I sent out 5 applications yesterday and now have 2 interviews setup for next week. I'm surprised at how fast these companies got back to me. One is a telco I almost got hired by over the Summer and the other is an university and both seem to have skipped right past the HR recruiter stage and gone straight to hiring manager interviews. :shrug:

At least I don't have any moral objections to either company. Two of the companies I interviewed with over the Summer were a start-up that cracks iPhones for cops and Chick-Fil-A. It's amazing how low your standards will go when you're desperate to get out of a 24/7 tech role.

Chick-Fil-A is a bananas company to work for. Like you think you know how weird it is and then they bury the needle into crazy town. The benefits almost make up for it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

Thats weird. Who wouldn't be excited about serving boomers more ivermectin ads?

It may be just the general “blah” feeling about the prospect of working for Zucc