Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Omicron probably started in Japan. I mean, it sounds like a Japanese virus already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mercifully, it seems like the flight stop request has already hit rough political waters and will be reversed. So that’s a bit of good news.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Waltzing Along posted:

Omicron probably started in Japan. I mean, it sounds like a Japanese virus already.

p. sure i know someone with an omicron camera

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Waltzing Along posted:

Japanese xenophobia has let to an environment where covid can mutate into the perfect japanese borne pandemic.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the embassy emailed me to let me know that the visa i got from them is no longer valid for entry, so yeah i guess i got really lucky

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

kimetsu no yaiba is annoying and stupid and im tired of seeing it

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shibawanko posted:

i liked it

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
It’s good

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well, pushed the cancel button on my flight. I was prepared and committed but it still sucks to see May disappear.

Still excited about seeing how we're looking come October/November, thanks for the weather/climate suggestions :)

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shibawanko posted:

It's meant for children.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LyonsLions posted:

It's meant for children.

Stringent posted:

i liked it

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I remember seeing the pilot on netflix while drunk with friends

It was, like, a critical mass of cliche.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

LyonsLions posted:

It's meant for children.

it's bad for children. children should watch like, wanwan and chibimaruko

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Well, pushed the cancel button on my flight. I was prepared and committed but it still sucks to see May disappear.

Still excited about seeing how we're looking come October/November, thanks for the weather/climate suggestions :)

:rip: but good call.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

And it was even worse last year, believe it or not.

LyonsLions posted:

It's meant for children.

The new season is apparently set in the old Yoshiwara district.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Some people on the Japan subreddits are really incredible

This one is, somehow, the most grounded one of the few I saw

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

Some people on the Japan subreddits are really incredible

This one is, somehow, the most grounded one of the few I saw

Electrician? Grounded? :mods:

I actually don’t think the second guy has as big an issue, I don’t think there are credit checks across borders. But if they don’t have a good job or money in the bank (or both) they’ll struggle to get an apartment anyways.

Poster wanting to be a mangaka has somehow missed how it grinds most people into a fine powder as an industry, and likely will ignore any and all advice to that end.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

we were able to use our airmiles to get a free flight to sapporo and back, and right now sapporo has a ridiculously good deal where you get a big discount on your hotel reservation plus a bunch of restaurant coupons. this is a basically free domestic trip

went to maruyama zoo today, a really fun zoo, able to see the animals up very close and they're not in tiny exhibits like in ueno, spent about 20mins just watching the tanukis

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Based on some Bolivans with Japanese ancestry I know, you don't need a license to do electrical work but you need a license to get raises and promotions. Otoh they have JP passports and work permission.
Also there are cram schools just for electrician license tests that cater towards these workers doing the test in Japanese.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Just a guess but I’d also imagine that you’d need to speak Japanese well enough to understand safety and hazard warnings, and understand how to read circuits in Japanese completely. Outside of that I have no clue who would hire some rando from Texas to do their electrical work, nor any company that would either. I mean I’m sure they probably exist but it’s so rare you might as well not try.

Like, dude. Just teach English.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

AHH F/UGH posted:

Just a guess but I’d also imagine that you’d need to speak Japanese well enough to understand safety and hazard warnings, and understand how to read circuits in Japanese completely. Outside of that I have no clue who would hire some rando from Texas to do their electrical work, nor any company that would either. I mean I’m sure they probably exist but it’s so rare you might as well not try.

that guy could totally work as an electrician if he could get a visa.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dumb foreigner aspirational engagement in Japan:

I would love to do a sabbatical for a six month Japanese language course in the country at some point before I die. I'm at the point in my career where I can dictate when I hit the pause button without worrying about dying in a ditch.

I don't really have a useful need for Japanese in my daily life, I don't have any specific plans to use Japanese outside of just docking around the country, I hate anime and don't read manga so anything I learn will probably go to waste in the first year when I don't read or keep up with media consumption, but I'm still determined to spend a few thousand earth dollars to attend a dingy cram school in some run down office building in a Tokyo suburb with a bunch of white nerds half my age. All just to spend some time immersed in the country before I die.

RIP me

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm sorry you hate the entirety of Japanese animation. Do you hate all animation, or just animation that comes from Japan?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I would love to do a sabbatical for a six month Japanese language course in the country at some point before I die. I'm at the point in my career where I can dictate when I hit the pause button without worrying about dying in a ditch.

I don't really have a useful need for Japanese in my daily life, I don't have any specific plans to use Japanese outside of just docking around the country, I hate anime and don't read manga so anything I learn will probably go to waste in the first year when I don't read or keep up with media consumption, but I'm still determined to spend a few thousand earth dollars to attend a dingy cram school in some run down office building in a Tokyo suburb with a bunch of white nerds half my age. All just to spend some time immersed in the country before I die.

RIP me

Six months is three bashō if you time it right! That’s plenty to watch on TV and try to gain comprehension of.

Having watched people come from overseas, speak little to no Japanese, and find a lot of different hobbies or groups to spend time with: it’s not just weeaboo poo poo all the way down. I would just recommend basing out of Not Tokyo for that six-month period.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Martytoof posted:

RIP me

There are literal tons of media that isn't anime or manga? Books, movies, TV, youtube... Idk it just seems like a strange thing to worry about.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

AHH F/UGH posted:

You would need to learn Japanese but you can totally get a job in the trades there if you do. I know a couple people who moved to Japan and Korea to do electrical and gas stuff. They both have the same problem as the US, everybody in the trades is loving old as poo poo and there aren't enough replacements. Plus you get a real career instead of being stuck at the bottom forever.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK well I guess what I'm saying is I don't typically consume a ton of Japanese media so it'll probably get lost. Was trying to make a flippant remark and not some grand statement so I apologize I worded it poorly or didn't put more thought into what I was trying to say :)

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Martytoof posted:

OK well I guess what I'm saying is I don't typically consume a ton of Japanese media

No one actually cares and there is no chance it has any impact on your ability to immigrate to Japan.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For sure, but I have no desire to live there long term. Perfectly happy being a tourist outside of this little six month stint I want to try I guess?

People were posting dumb foreigner stuff and I figured I’d toss in my own little dumb foreigner aspirations about hanging out for six months in glorious nippon for a laugh, nothing more.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 10, 2021

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sure go for it! Once students visas exist again…

If you find the right school, most of the students will be from other Asian countries (mostly Vietnam and Indonesia, plus Mongolian if you're lucky) and you'll be forced to use Japanese to communicate with classmates.
The language school in my town is all 18 year old Indonesians. Each school has their own recruitment strategies.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
the tokyo language schools are heavily korean/chinese

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

an interesting thing about learning languages is that it's just a skill. if you really want to learn japanese probably the best prep you could do would be learning a different language.

assuming you're in the us you should learn spanish, shouldn't take more than a year and you'll have a better handle on how you learn and study for the next one.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Stringent posted:

an interesting thing about learning languages is that it's just a skill. if you really want to learn japanese probably the best prep you could do would be learning a different language.

assuming you're in the us you should learn spanish, shouldn't take more than a year and you'll have a better handle on how you learn and study for the next one.

Seconding this.

Learning a second language teaches you not only about that language but your own as well. In turn, this lets you better think about language in general, how to compare them, how ideas are expressed, etc.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I learned a second language and now I can thoroughly convey my stupidity through two distinct vocabularies.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Better to just start learning Japanese now. Six months is not nearly enough time to go from nothing to decent at Japanese. Six months of immersion can get you from semi-fluent to fluent though as you'll get a lot more out of the immersion if you have a fundamental understanding of the language to hold basic conversations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wasn’t intending to turn this into a drawn out discussion about my specific thing, I really just wanted to make a lame self deprecating joke but I am appreciative of the support nonetheless :)

I know three languages and I’ve been working on Japanese off and on for like six years now — my most successful stints at retention and new information were immersive no-english weekly sessions in a classroom before COVID so I am hyped on an immersion sabbatical :)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

my wife thought we could save money and get better quality sashimi by buying raw fish from the local market and cut it ourselves with a knife and cutting board from daiso, she thought if it was advertised as "meant for sashimi" it would be a matter of making a few cuts and serving it up

i just spent half an hour at our hotel room desk dissecting a raw octopus head and shanking a live abalone. my hands are covered in slime and i smell like fish, ftw

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shibawanko posted:

my wife thought we could save money and get better quality sashimi by buying raw fish from the local market and cut it ourselves with a knife and cutting board from daiso, she thought if it was advertised as "meant for sashimi" it would be a matter of making a few cuts and serving it up

i just spent half an hour at our hotel room desk dissecting a raw octopus head and shanking a live abalone. my hands are covered in slime and i smell like fish, ftw

yeah it's a lot more difficult than it looks

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

also visited the statue of dr clarke (the "boys be ambitious" guy), turns out he was a psychopath who'd respond to students complaining about the cold by taking them outside and shoving their heads in the snow and sitting on them. i don't really recommend going up there since it's just his statue, a memorial hall eulogizing him and an open field that's probably very spectacular to a japanese domestic tourist who's never seen a grassy field before but not to anyone else

sapporo tv tower was alright as an observation deck but it's arranged as a tourist trap with mandatory photo and gift shop etc

mt moiwa was a good day trip though. it's nice that all of these attractions are for free for a certain period, mt moiwa had a long queue but it was actually worth it, great view of the city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

OK forget the language school this is my new thing