Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

For years GTA V had these insanely long loading times. Someone eventually figured out that this was due to amateurish programming: the loader would index all the loaded files, at the beginning finding nothing. then it would load something, and then it would start scanning again, but from the beginning. So the more files it had loaded, the more time it was busy uselessly scanning files it already had scanned hundreds or thousands of times. A really dumb version of Zeno's Paradox.

This was discovered by a player, and subsequently fixed, like 6 years after the game first releases. So it's not just the niche companies that do this jank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Considering the clusterfuck the netcode is in that game (i.e. remote script execution), I'm not surprised.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cojawfee posted:

A bunch of tiny files compounded with the fact that Windows sucks rear end at transferring small files. I have an email from customer support that has two commands to put into powershell if downloading flight sim starts failing. One is for if small files fail, one is for if big files fail. It's insane that such a workaround is needed when literally every other game platform has solved downloading games.

Can you uhhh… Share that? Support hasn’t gotten back to me in more than a week now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MrYenko posted:

Can you uhhh… Share that? Support hasn’t gotten back to me in more than a week now.

quote:

Download stuck on big files
If the download is stuck on a package such as "pc-fs-base-bigfiles-0.1.59.fspackage" or "fs-base"

A) Disable Window Auto-tuning

In the Windows search bar, type Command and look for ‘Command Prompt’
In the menu select “Run as administrator”
Enter: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
Press enter
Reboot your computer

B) Use Netlimiter

Some users reported that using Netlimiter and setting the download speed between 5 and 20 Mbps helped them bypass the looping issue.

Download stuck on small files
If the download is Stuck on a particular aircraft or activity package such as "asobo_aircraft_b787_10_0.1.42.fspatch" or "asobo_bushtrip_nevada0.1.35fspatch" and you have community-created content, please do the following:

Step 1: Close the launcher
Step 2: Go to the Community folder
By default this folder is located here:
Microsoft Store edition:
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community
Steam edition:
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Community
Step 3: Search any non-official content corresponding to the package that is stuck. For instance "b787" or "bushtrip"
Step 3: Delete the corresponding non-official content
Step 4: Reboot your computer
Step 5: Relaunch the download

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

For other big idiots like me, looks like Asobo's made the Sim Update 7 beta available to Steam. Just have to pick it out of the Beta menu, no password or anything.

Let's see what this deletes!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Didn’t help, but thanks very much!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cojawfee posted:

A bunch of tiny files compounded with the fact that Windows sucks rear end at transferring small files. I have an email from customer support that has two commands to put into powershell if downloading flight sim starts failing. One is for if small files fail, one is for if big files fail. It's insane that such a workaround is needed when literally every other game platform has solved downloading games.

It's brutal. Every time you copy a file you have to:

Create a new file at the destination
Open and lock it for writing
Write data
Unlock and close the file

Of those three things, only the "write data" step depends on how big the file is, the three fixed time steps add up very quickly. Other operating systems suffer from the same basic issue, but NTFS is particularly bad at dealing with it.

And let's see that email ! tyvm

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lord Stimperor posted:

For years GTA V had these insanely long loading times. Someone eventually figured out that this was due to amateurish programming: the loader would index all the loaded files, at the beginning finding nothing. then it would load something, and then it would start scanning again, but from the beginning. So the more files it had loaded, the more time it was busy uselessly scanning files it already had scanned hundreds or thousands of times. A really dumb version of Zeno's Paradox.

This was discovered by a player, and subsequently fixed, like 6 years after the game first releases. So it's not just the niche companies that do this jank.

That's impressively stupid.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Most of my steam time playing MSFS2020 is really just updates and loading.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

sigher posted:

That's impressively stupid.
IIRC the original browser-based Windows Update had a similar issue where the process of checking for updates would rescan all the previously checked updates for each one, so time to check for updates grew exponentially with every potential update being checked.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

guidoanselmi posted:

Most of my steam time playing MSFS2020 is really just updates and loading.

Given my recent issues, I am absolutely certain that I have now spent more time with the downloaded than I’ve spend in the sim.

And I STILL can’t loving play it.

Sorry if my griping is getting old, i just need somewhere to vent so I don’t get banned from the official forums.

:v:

Unrelated Content:

https://youtu.be/xrL-uGGwgtg

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 10, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I haven't followed your issues closely, but have you taken the plunge and tried a windows RE&RE?

The install manager/updater is hysterically awful.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I myself had to do a Windows rebuild before MSFS stopped eating poo poo constantly. Hell, might've even been slidebite that suggested it. It legitimately helped, and I'm still angry about it.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

quote:

The reveal takes place at I/ITSEC 2021 in Orlando. Come visit us in booth 1348 and fly the F-16 in VR.
Meta Immersive Synthetic is subsidiary of Meta Aerospace, an information age defense contractor based in Washington DC.

So we're probably not getting that as a game?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

What’s funny is I installed at launch and have been relatively problem free (for things like crashes and “application/update” problems, as opposed to sim bugs.)

Then two weeks ago windows got hosed up and flight sim was the only game on that drive. Now on a fresh install of windows and barely any community addons (and further, the ones I have being updated to current versions) the loving thing crashes constantly whenever I open the sim.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Ironically it seems to run pretty well under Proton on Linux

There are some rendering artifacts on distant trees though so I wouldn't say it's 100% yet but it does load noticeably faster than on Windows. Also no voice synth and launching something like vpilot inside the proton container is a pain

Other than that it works great! :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My initial install went fine, and a few updates. Then I think the UK or Euro update hung up, totally screwed up the install, and needed to uninstall the entire thing. So far I've been lucky and my Windows install has never needed to be touched but I'm waiting for that shoe to drop

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

slidebite posted:

I haven't followed your issues closely, but have you taken the plunge and tried a windows RE&RE?

The install manager/updater is hysterically awful.

No. I’m not wiping windows for a piece of Microsoft’s own software when everything else is working fine. I’ll try a rebuild this week, I suppose. The updater manages to be worse than basing their geo data on Bing maps. Didn’t think that was possible.

:v:

Lord Stimperor posted:

So we're probably not getting that as a game?

DCS started the same way, and didn’t have a proven consumer market presently being poorly served by a mediocre competitor.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/jjdqSsb.mp4

how are flight sim people so GODDAMN STUPID every GOD DAMNED MINUTE of the DAY

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sagebrush posted:

https://i.imgur.com/jjdqSsb.mp4

how are flight sim people so GODDAMN STUPID every GOD DAMNED MINUTE of the DAY

Onboarding a (self-proclaimed?) American defense contractor to a (formerly?) Moscow company would cause hilarious media coverage tho

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This not gonna be a public product, is it?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Flying DCS C-101: Haha stick go brrrrrrrrrrr

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

skooma512 posted:

Flying DCS C-101: Haha stick go brrrrrrrrrrr

Yes, but only when you try to take off, gain altitude, not crash into the ground, maintain speed, pull G:s, or generally avoid things. If you're just diving or turning gently, it stays mostly quiet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In MS Flight Sim, is there a way to listen to other players talking over voice? Or is there a Discord or somewhere else you can join to listen to player voice chat during flights?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Does anyone else have the throttle slam full forward after landing?

I thought it was a weird thing with the F18 but I just had it happen on one of the new little cub prop jobs.

I land, start to brake, and then the throttles slam forward even though I haven't touched them. It's almost like the copilot ai is trying to do it or something but I don't have that's selected.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Do you have any buttons bound to "toggle reverse thrust" or anything similar? I think Asobo broke something with that in the last update, so that may be part of it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I said come in! posted:

In MS Flight Sim, is there a way to listen to other players talking over voice? Or is there a Discord or somewhere else you can join to listen to player voice chat during flights?

There isn't an in-game thing as far as I know.

There are Discords for that sort of thing, yes. I found a few in the past but they never really clicked for me. Mostly just 14 year olds in the Civil Air Patrol trying to show off and jacking themselves off about how they were going to be fighter pilots someday. I kept trying to find the server that the Airforceproud95 YouTuber was on, cause he seemed fun, but never managed to.

If you want a real radio simulation experience, VATSIM is the way to go, but then you have to learn to talk and fly like a real pilot.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Eh, you can just connect in observer mode and you don't have to talk to anyone.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

If I just want to hear radio traffic I just have https://www.liveatc.net/ streaming in the background.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

azflyboy posted:

Do you have any buttons bound to "toggle reverse thrust" or anything similar? I think Asobo broke something with that in the last update, so that may be part of it.
I don't think so but who knows. thanks.

in other news, I have an alpha and bravo still sealed in their boxes that I haven't been even looked at yet. :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I can't see any bindings, but for some reason after I land in every plane I've tried lately, the throttles slam forward. I play with the throttles afterwards (up/down) they still want to go up, almost like some autopilot thing, but I have no flight assists on. I've calibrated, increased dead zones, no clue as to wtf is going on. It's regardless if it's a piston or turbine.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

slidebite posted:

I can't see any bindings, but for some reason after I land in every plane I've tried lately, the throttles slam forward. I play with the throttles afterwards (up/down) they still want to go up, almost like some autopilot thing, but I have no flight assists on. I've calibrated, increased dead zones, no clue as to wtf is going on. It's regardless if it's a piston or turbine.

I know this is a pain in the rear end, but have you tried wiping out the profile for the yoke/pedals/stick/whatever you use, and restarting from a clean slate?

There have been various reports of bizarre behaviors in MSFS that end up being an axis or command somehow being assigned to something completely random on a stick, yoke, or pedals, so maybe MSFS somehow assigned the (currently) broken reverse to an axis in one of your controllers.

If you're using MSFS Addon Linker, try un-linking all the 3rd party stuff in your community folder, since there's a chance something there might be interfering and causing issues.

The only other idea I have is to make sure that if you have input you don't use with MSFS (like a racing wheel or Xbox controller) that you try unplugging them and seeing if that helps, since it's also possible MSFS somehow assigned something to a controller you aren't actively using.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have nothing else plugged in to my USB at all, other than my stick/controller and keyboard/mouse.

I'm not against wiping it out and see what happens, but I really think it's almost an AI thing. I might unplug the USB controller next time just to see what happens. I need to do some more digging here. It's so weird.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Is it always a specific landing step it happens? I know last time you mentioned it's typically when starting braking. IIRC there are TOGA toggle binds that pin throttle to max regardless if that toggle physically exists in the cockpit or interlocks with the throttle position. So I'd also expect overlapped binds with that or similar toggles.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
If you didn't already, you can also do a search by input in MSFS, you could try that with every button and axis on your controllers to see if anything got double assigned, since MSFS doesn't seem to prevent you from assigning multiple things to one input.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

My wife dropped hints that I may have a Honeycomb A+B set coming at Christmas, and I'm obnoxiously excited and just wanted to tell the only other people who would even know what the hell I was talking about.

I feel like I'm inching closer to buying instrument panels like some kind of crazy man, though. I hear mournful bells in the distance.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Squiggle posted:

My wife dropped hints that I may have a Honeycomb A+B set coming at Christmas, and I'm obnoxiously excited and just wanted to tell the only other people who would even know what the hell I was talking about.

I feel like I'm inching closer to buying instrument panels like some kind of crazy man, though. I hear mournful bells in the distance.

Live your best life

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Post your setup Stim

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Nothing specialized, but good allround stuff.

VKB Gladiator Pro and Rudder pedals, both half a decade old. Used to have an X55 throttle as well but that one died. Oculus collects dust at the moment.

I've been mulling over a update for a while now. Those replica Garmins are among at me. But so are throttle units and yokes. If I expand my setup, I think it'd need to come in the shape of a portable sim cockpit. I have a tight space. And it'd need to be generic enough to work across multiple games in VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Squiggle posted:

drat that throttle quadrant looks sick