Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Alpha Centauri got personality. Personality goes a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I'm sad I didn't play Alpha Centauri when it was new cause it's unplayable today. It' in this late 90's era of UI experimentation making it harder to pick up than any 1991 strategy game.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Civ4 is the last civ game to have soul. Everything from Baba Yetu to Nemoy to the art design shows that the developers actually cared about the game. Civ6 is literally a mobile game.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

One day gamers will stop getting irrationally mad at mobile games. One day.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Yeah you seem exactly like the type to pound off to gotcha games.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lol what a wild thing to say

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
Civ 6 is bad but it looking vaguely like a mobile game isn't anywhere near why, you're both being weirdos :psyduck:

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Average Bear posted:

Civ4 is the last civ game to have soul. Everything from Baba Yetu to Nemoy to the art design shows that the developers actually cared about the game. Civ6 is literally a mobile game.

"If you chase two rabbits you will lose them both."

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
you can still play alpha centauri i have it installed right now wtf

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Lady Radia posted:

Civ 6 is bad but it looking vaguely like a mobile game isn't anywhere near why, you're both being weirdos :psyduck:

Civ 6 does have a mobile port, so it is literally a mobile game. I just don't see why that's a problem.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mobile game has a specific meaning in the aesthetic sense.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

vs FIGHT!

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I have never played Anbennar before and was learning the mod doing an adventurer (Sons of Damaria) start. There is something that makes me a bit confused. There is quite a few missions that requires that you don't have the Adventurer Company reform active. The reform that you start with. But I never got to do those missons before transforming to a new kingdom. As it was always being blocked by still being an Adventurer Company. And when I transformed to Adenica the missions got replaced so the chance of completing them disappeared. I am talking about the missions like urbanizing your capital and making your own weapons.

Is this bugged through an update or did I miss something?

Hryme fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 10, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It's intentional as there are adventurers outside of Escann with different reforms. Just ignore them and move on, the only mission for adventurers that matters is the last one in the chain that removes the -50% Admin Eff. for however many years.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 10, 2021

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Thank you.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I think the basic adventurer tree is a more or less obsolete generic tree. IIRC it was in before a lot of the formables in the region existed/got their own mission trees, so you have those vestigial missions for after you form a country that you never get a chance to actually do.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Is it better to purge the orcs and goblins or to try to coexist with them? I noticed that even when I had green orc as an accepted culture they gave +4 revolt chance as a coexisting minority. Does that ever get reduced?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
For Escann shenanigans I find it easier to just expel (never purge) goblins/orcs and be done with it, personally just due to the sheer amount of provinces owned by both. With that said both have good buffs and if you're the only country with good relations with those races you'll get a gently caress load of new immigrants/money/dev from all the other countries expelling them. Revolt chance doesn't go away but the bonuses do change at different relation levels. Orcs especially affect goods produced. Expelling/Purging a majority automatically makes the province your culture and religion.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 10, 2021

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks again. That was the two things I was a bit confused over and google was not that helpful. Expected in the age of discord I guess.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Hryme posted:

Thanks again. That was the two things I was a bit confused over and google was not that helpful. Expected in the age of discord I guess.

Just be aware that there are some downsides to this. Flat unrest in any majority province you're expelling/purging, a bunch of devastation each time the amount downgrades, random events for devastation and more unrest, and it can take a while.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Hryme posted:

Is it better to purge the orcs and goblins or to try to coexist with them? I noticed that even when I had green orc as an accepted culture they gave +4 revolt chance as a coexisting minority. Does that ever get reduced?
It depends on where you are. Normally, either coexisting or maybe expelling if you need the religious conversion effects that come with it are the best option.

Inside the Serpentspine, the mechanics are a bit different, holds don't automatically gain development or dig out new floors if they're not populated by an integrated/coexisting underground race, those being dwarves, goblins and kobolds, notably excluding orcs. As such, it is always worthwhile to purge orcs or other surface dwellers that take a hold because the development in caves and roads only has an infinitesimal effect on your nation anyway so losing it is no big deal and the holds will regain the development that much faster anyway.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Also surface races that are present as a minority or majority are fine in a dwarfen hold; what matters is the province's overall culture, the main one. Friendly surface races can be a boon in a hold; IIRC humans reduce dev cost, which is always worthwhile for holds.

Also note that purging a race that controls a province's culture, once successful, results in the province gaining your main culture/race and religion too. You basically skip the culture and religious conversion, which can take a significant amount of DIP power and time otherwise.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
For dwarves I honestly prefer keeping orcs, goblins, and kobolds as their bonuses are all incredibly good for holds. On top of that, orc holds tend to be very low dev so easy to convert anyways so :shrug: Goblins and Kobolds most importantly give construction speed which stack together to massively reduce hold upgrade time.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

ilitarist posted:

My favourite one is Georgian queen. Like build walls, dude. I'm fine with you winning by culturally dominating the world because drat these walls.

To be fair Georgia is absolutely swarming with castles so that adds up.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Rynoto posted:

It's intentional as there are adventurers outside of Escann with different reforms. Just ignore them and move on, the only mission for adventurers that matters is the last one in the chain that removes the -50% Admin Eff. for however many years.

I'm rather new to Anbennar as well, couldn't figure out the adventurer mechanics. Tried playing as the halfling adventurers, but I could not figure out how its supposed to work, maybe because I haven't played a tribal nation before in normal EU4.

I can conquer tribal lands from orcs, but I have no idea what they actually do for me. I am forced to migrate after a while because of desolation, even when I ended up on a trade node province I wanted to stay at. How do I actually settle down, even after getting two government reforms I didn't find a way.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

MonikaTSarn posted:

I'm rather new to Anbennar as well, couldn't figure out the adventurer mechanics. Tried playing as the halfling adventurers, but I could not figure out how its supposed to work, maybe because I haven't played a tribal nation before in normal EU4.

I can conquer tribal lands from orcs, but I have no idea what they actually do for me. I am forced to migrate after a while because of desolation, even when I ended up on a trade node province I wanted to stay at. How do I actually settle down, even after getting two government reforms I didn't find a way.

The tier 3 'stake our claim' reform allows you to settle and removes the ability to migrate. Just beware that settling this way makes the land culturally whatever it is based on the 'primitives' which will usually be orcs in escann. The last reform fully settles all tribal land you own as your own culture and religion. So my own strategy here is to only normal-settle provinces that block off other adventurers and save tribal land for the final reform.

For more micro-intensive adventuring you'll want to be always be cycling alliances and breaking them to put you a truce timer with all neighboring adventurers, because otherwise they'll happily move into your tribal land and settle. If you're careful about said truces and quickly snap up as much orc/goblin tribal land as possible you can leave most other adventurers around you with only a few provinces once it comes time for conquest.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 10, 2021

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Rynoto posted:

The tier 3 'stake our claim' reform allows you to settle and removes the ability to migrate. Just beware that settling this way makes the land culturally whatever it is based on the 'primitives' which will usually be orcs in escann. The last reform fully settles all tribal land you own as your own culture and religion. So my own strategy here is to only normal-settle provinces that block off other adventurers and save tribal land for the final reform.

Ah thanks, I guess I chose the wrong reform. Got to try again, but I got so many other Nations to try first. Grombar was fun, but the almost forced change in religion was annoying. Centaurs were fun to start out as, but have a kind of boring conquer-only mission tree. I love the idea of the dwarves, but it somehow sucks how you have to play the first decades on fast forward, and once you get really going good you get killed by a disaster.

Truly an exceptional mod.

Got to try some gnomes next. Or maybe elves.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

MonikaTSarn posted:

Got to try some gnomes next. Or maybe elves.

Do Venail, which is south west of the empire on a little island if you want Elves. Don't look up anything about it. Seriously. Just play it.

And the dwarven disasters aren't that bad and a necessary roadbump because otherwise they hit infinite money mode even faster. Obsidian Legion is the only really bad one that can destroy you if it spawns badly.

The most FUN* disaster in the game though is for the goblin Allclan. Their government form is a chaotic mess and if you ever let it destabilize the entire country goes to absolute hell. On the upside you do get goblin space program, rocket rails, and massive industrial projects that make the dwarves look like losers.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 10, 2021

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hryme posted:

Integrated is the next step and generally the bonuses go up and penalties go down.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

Integrated is the next step and generally the bonuses go up and penalties go down.

Even integrated orcs are still +3 unrest. Most others are +1. Think only elves, humans and dwarves don't have any unrest at integrated?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hryme posted:

I purged the orcs and didn't realise the leader of corintar was half orc and immediately felt very bad

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Rynoto posted:

Even integrated orcs are still +3 unrest. Most others are +1. Think only elves, humans and dwarves don't have any unrest at integrated?
I've got to load up a game but I think there are more with 0 unrest.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I will never not integrate, wtf

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Gnomes and kobolds are fun. Two dweeb races fighting for the rear end-end of the continent, and both have weird enough armies that even the simplistic EU system makes them play very different to anyone else.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I had a fun time playing the Order of the Iron Sceptre who then become the necromancer kingdom of Esthil.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The one run I've been trying hard to get to work is Blackmoon -> Tugund Durakh with Centaur military. Just end up getting out mil-teched and swarmed but damnit if I don't want to unite the Fey world.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I purged the orcs and didn't realise the leader of corintar was half orc and immediately felt very bad

An entire side of their mission tree is about peaceful coexistence with the Orcs

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Firebatgyro posted:

An entire side of their mission tree is about peaceful coexistence with the Orcs

This was the build before their mission tree was expanded to feature that line, I think.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Rynoto posted:

The one run I've been trying hard to get to work is Blackmoon -> Tugund Durakh with Centaur military. Just end up getting out mil-teched and swarmed but damnit if I don't want to unite the Fey world.

Currently playing through this one and expanding into Castanor after forming. The key is to be constantly juggling truce timers to avoid an overwhelming coalition forming. This means quick wars for humiliation or gold alongside actual expansion. The Emerald Orcs are ideally suited for this as they have extremely good manpower recovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Aethernet posted:

Currently playing through this one and expanding into Castanor after forming. The key is to be constantly juggling truce timers to avoid an overwhelming coalition forming. This means quick wars for humiliation or gold alongside actual expansion. The Emerald Orcs are ideally suited for this as they have extremely good manpower recovery.

Oh yeah, getting up to having the tree planted isn't too hard, it's going on longer once you start getting so wide in the plains/mines/bulwar/escann all at once that things start falling apart with the massive tech differences because there's essentially zero tech spread in TD. The best run I've had was only pushing into Escann far enough for the tree then spreading throughout the entire plains with occasional wars in Cannor/Bulwar but the rivals really start to stack up and once you're 8+ techs behind it starts getting really bad even with centaur cav.