Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
I like Japanese customer service where they do your best not to interact with you at all.

Order on touch screen, food comes on a little train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Thailand tends to fall onto the "ignore you with effort" side of things. This is mostly fine except for when you actually need something. Then it's super loving annoying.

Taiwan was the best because they'll ignore you, but the beer fridge is on the customer side of the dining area so you can just go grab a bunch of bottles and the restaurant will tally them at the end of the night.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

BrigadierSensible posted:

I did find customer service in China to be more like what I was used to in Australia, where they serve you without fuss and that's it. This is not to say I don't enjoy a little bit of a chat, or a friendly smile when at the counter. It's more that stuff like that can be very offputting when shoved in your face.

Alberta is very close to certain aspects of the US, and being from Ontario, I found it odd how forced the faux friendly was in some places. When I was working at a private school in Calgary we'd often go out Friday afternoons for a few drinks after work.

My one co-teacher always suggested "Original Joe's" because he was sure this one waitress was into him. She was a walking "tip magnet" stereotype (for guys).

Close-talking small talk
Laughing at everything the customer said
Calling everyone sweetie/sugar
Soooo much shoulder touching
Mega-pushup bra + low v-necks
Outright faux flirting, prolonged eye contact, biting bottom lip,
Never giving your table more than three minutes of privacy.

I found the place to be very annoying to be in. It was like the Stepford Wives of bars, as everyone working there had this very obvious veneer of phony interest/affection. Although I would be surprised if that waitress didn't make at least $200 a shift in tips alone given the number of hapless guys who fell for the act.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'unno, seems less 'hapless' and more 'starved for attention' to me.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

thetoughestbean posted:

I like having small talk with customers when I work. It’s nice to have a small human connection, if only for a moment

haha nerd

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Atlas Hugged posted:

Thailand tends to fall onto the "ignore you with effort" side of things. This is mostly fine except for when you actually need something. Then it's super loving annoying.

Taiwan was the best because they'll ignore you, but the beer fridge is on the customer side of the dining area so you can just go grab a bunch of bottles and the restaurant will tally them at the end of the night.

Vietnam is just everyone yelling at everyone. You yell at the waiter to come over. They yell your order to someone near the kitchen. That person yells it back into the kitchen.

In Laos I've had meals where not a single word was exchanged by anyone in the restaurant. Everyone is just too drat laid back to talk.

Some Chinese dining can be very service-oriented, though there's no chitchat. High-end Chiuchow restaurants in Hong Kong have your table swarmed with staff keeping your tea filled, placing all sorts of little dishes like a synchronized swimming team, etc. I don't think most people get exposure to that side of the cuisine, though, because it's like $200/head and tends to feature, uh, exotic delicacies.

In the Philippines, it's fast food and the word 'sir' a lot.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Smeef posted:

Some Chinese dining can be very service-oriented, though there's no chitchat. High-end Chiuchow restaurants in Hong Kong have your table swarmed with staff keeping your tea filled, placing all sorts of little dishes like a synchronized swimming team, etc. I don't think most people get exposure to that side of the cuisine, though, because it's like $200/head and tends to feature, uh, exotic delicacies.

with Din Tai Fung you can get a budget version of this

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Rinkles posted:

from what I read from security tech people i trust, it was BS, that never should've been published

Chinese state actor spotted

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Cadmiel posted:

I was told that a common scam was in shaokao, where the lamb starts real and then becomes rat (or whatever else is cheaper than lamb) once you're drunk enough you can't tell the difference. I only did shaokao at carts where I was choosing my own skewers though, so I never cared. drat, now I really miss shaokao in Sichuan.
Very, late in the morning I once drunkenly asked my favorite kebab guy who was stationed by my apartment in my broken Mandarin what seasoning he used to make his lamb kebabs taste so good.

He threw his head back laughing and said something to the effect of "when have you ever seen any sheep on all of the rolling countryside around here." 2

From then on I learned to not ask too many questions as to the origins of what I was eating but just try to enjoy them.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

mikerock posted:

Chinese state actor spotted

It was indeed a very real thing. It wasn't Chinese manufacturers installing chips on legit boards, the whole things were knockoffs with spyware/back doors built in. This has been a thing with telephony servers for a long while, but the headlines were because they were being sold as relatively high end cisco hardware.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Vesi posted:

very overrated imo

Has Dim Dim Sum expanded into the US yet? I love that place and was so happy they opened one in my city.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It was indeed a very real thing. It wasn't Chinese manufacturers installing chips on legit boards, the whole things were knockoffs with spyware/back doors built in. This has been a thing with telephony servers for a long while, but the headlines were because they were being sold as relatively high end cisco hardware.

Then the articles probably should have said that, instead of going on about phantom chip insertion.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

GoutPatrol posted:

very overrated imo

Has Dim Dim Sum expanded into the US yet? I love that place and was so happy they opened one in my city.

Did you eat at the Xinyi Din Tai Fung? The quality seemed to vary a lot by location just in Taipei, the original location was the one to go to. I tried them all in Taipei just to be sure, lucky I lived walking distance to the best one. No idea how the quality is in other cities with the global expansion.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
if you're not calling everyone pretty girl, handsome guy, boss lady, etc at a yum cha place then you're doing it wrong

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Smeef posted:

the most exotic thing i've had in hk was birds nest and shark fin, p standard stuff. drunken chicken is where it at, i miss drunk chicken

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Horatius Bonar posted:

Did you eat at the Xinyi Din Tai Fung? The quality seemed to vary a lot by location just in Taipei, the original location was the one to go to. I tried them all in Taipei just to be sure, lucky I lived walking distance to the best one. No idea how the quality is in other cities with the global expansion.

I've eaten at the one in Mitsukoshi in Taipei and Top City in Taichung. I just could not get the hype.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Vesi posted:

Might be true from the service standpoint, but as I recall, Din Tai Fung is Shanghainese food, not Chiuchow cuisine. It's been like 10 years since I've been to one, though.

Booty Pageant posted:

the most exotic thing i've had in hk was birds nest and shark fin, p standard stuff. drunken chicken is where it at, i miss drunk chicken

Those are at least user friendly dishes with mild flavors and textures despite the origins. I feel like half the Cantonese delicacies involve using chopsticks to somehow unlock a lubed-up barnacle containing a tiny thread of leather pig urethra and a rare mushroom that looks like a hairy mole (and may in fact be one).

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Vesi posted:

lol where is din tai fung budget???

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Ailumao posted:

lol where is din tai fung budget???

It's not street food, but it's budget compared to the 'this' he was responding to.

The set menu at Tin Lung Heen in Hong Kong is close to $300 (USD) per person, excluding wine.

Sun Tung Lok has individual dishes that cost $500-$1500.

Haute cuisine is loving insane.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
tin lung heen has three kinds of caviar on the menu lol

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Not to start the whole "tipping" derail. But I have found what you describe to be an American phenomenon.

When I have been in the US on holiday, I have found the performative over politeness and effusive fake friendliness to be off-putting as well. I always assumed it was because they are either trying to milk you for tips, and the fact that service workers get punished for not being seen as "friendly enough"

I did find customer service in China to be more like what I was used to in Australia, where they serve you without fuss and that's it. This is not to say I don't enjoy a little bit of a chat, or a friendly smile when at the counter. It's more that stuff like that can be very offputting when shoved in your face.

To be honest, the places I went to weren't even performatively polite I thought - it was more that even at checkout in a store people tried to make jokes or comment on your purchases or otherwise had something like a normal, albeit short conversation which was super rare in China. The exception was restaurants where servers always made sure to come by and "check that everything was all right" while you had your mouth full, THAT was excessive. Go away, I'm eating, it's fine, I'll say something if I need something.

I've been told the US has its own regional differences though - apparently New England tends more towards silent service as well?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9PSg0sQyfs

e: There's a Chinese restaurant near the market that's mostly known for the cook/waiter/whatever being really angry all the time. I'd be, too.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Not to start the whole "tipping" derail. But I have found what you describe to be an American phenomenon.

When I have been in the US on holiday, I have found the performative over politeness and effusive fake friendliness to be off-putting as well. I always assumed it was because they are either trying to milk you for tips, and the fact that service workers get punished for not being seen as "friendly enough"

Man, I moved to the south last year after living in Chicagoland (and also China) all of my life, and it's much worse down here. Folksy small talk during every interaction/transaction but I can't really get mad at people because they mean well. I miss the no bullshit or "briefly make fun of me then no bullshit" attitude common in China.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I've had bad food poisoning twice in SEA. Once was from politely tasting a dried meat product I really should have known better than (when I got back to Australia my doctor was all "wow, where'd you find this bacterium?"), one waa from letting a doorman take me up stairs to a restaurant with no-one else in it. Both had warning signs I ignored.
Street food was fine.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Sundried pork and beef loving rule.

Only times I've been like really ill in Thailand was when I ate at a newly opened Sunrise Tacos. Never had a problem at other locations, but that one I'll never return to even though it's the most convenient. I'll just make my own tacos.

The other time wasn't food poisoning per se, but it's likely the same root cause of food poisoning. I was very drunk and at a bar. I dropped my phone in the toilet. I dried it off and was mostly amazed that it still worked. I kept drinking and forgot about it. I was deathly ill for three days and it wasn't until like the second day that I made the connection.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
From reddit:

quote:

New Chinese toilet paper dispenser requires you to watch a 30 second ad before it gives you toilet paper, and it only gives you about 3 per ad. Spotted in Guangdong province.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jesus that’s dystopic

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Yeah, those are all over the ritzy malls in China. You have to log in using WeChat and then you get like maybe five sheets, tops

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
jesus there's a capitalism gap and we're losing

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Communism at its finest. :china:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fuckin lol.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
You know that data is being tracked and Tencent knows how much toilet paper you use per session

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

jesus there's a capitalism gap and we're losing

It's endlessly hilarious when leftists are licking China's boots. I have never been anywhere more powerfully libertarian capitalist than China. The US looks like Denmark in comparison. It's incredible.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Forceholy posted:

Yeah, those are all over the ritzy malls in China. You have to log in using WeChat and then you get like maybe five sheets, tops

hey, can I borrow your phone charger? I'm gonna need to take a poo poo later

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Kevin DuBrow posted:

You know that data is being tracked and Tencent knows how much toilet paper you use per session

It affects your social credit score.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

wow how could america do this

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re: toilet paper in China.

I learned very quickly to always carry at least one of the little packets of tissues with me every where I went, because you could never assume that a toilet would have paper.

And that is anywhere, from the shittiest of street sqauttters, to the fancy ones in shopping centres/hotels, 75-80% of them would not have toilet paper.

The carrying around of a pack of tissues habit is a thing that proves useful in most of the parts of Asia that I have lived/visited.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Always carry wet wipes for double duty. And I got in the habit of having a little bottle of liquid soap because you won the loving lottery if you find soap in a bathroom in China. Don't even get to jerk off the soap like in Korea.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrWcEGDXOUg&t=79s

Nothing a swift kick to the machine wont help, minus 20 social credit score!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Kevin DuBrow posted:

You are absolutely on camera too, and after you watch the ad the machine whirrs and sounds like it is dispensing tp but nothing comes out.