Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

A lot of the Gaiden episodes are awesome, at least Kircheis & Reinhard's first couple assignments series (besides the military school murder investigation). But some of them are as good as the main series. Gotta take all the Kircheis you can get yuknow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The groupwatch has to stop for a few weeks but we were right in the middle of Battle of Vermilion and god. gently caress. jesus. gently caress.

edit: We've been talking a lot lately just about how each episode ends. Another page turns in the book of history. And at first its quaint and amusing how the narrator phrases everything like a history text.

But by episode 50, you've experienced so much heartache and brutality. War crimes, personal betrayals, political nightmares, corruption, greed, pointless battles with no winners. Endless suffering and emotional agony for unclear goals.

Another page turns in the book of history.

History continues. Humanity endures. All the emotional pain the characters are going through will be remembered as a list of victories and failures in some document, devoid of the real emotional context. It guts you deep.

Nerdietalk fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 12, 2021

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Kingtheninja posted:

Looks like De Neue These is back in March, they're doing three movies over 3 months. Presumably we'll get episodes out of that next fall maybe?
Ooh, sweet!

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

As of tonight, we've finished season 2 and entered season 3.

gently caress.

There's a lot to say about the tragedy of how the season ends. Yang stays true to his ideals, at the cost of democracy. Reinhard conquering the universe but hating it because it wasn't technically his win. Everyone caught in-between this pointless war. But the arc that really stood out to me was Walter Islands. Just this one-off, third-rate politician, another crony working for Trunicht. A Secretary of Defense happily enjoying Yang's trial to build his own power and money. And then the war kicks off again, and suddenly Islands has to think a lot more about his job before. And he just slowly changes into a supporter of Yang until he's screaming at Trunicht. How DARE he protect himself when democracy is at stake?

And then Trunicht exposes Islands' corruption, calls in the guards, and destroys the FPA permanently. Islands is left bedridden and his story just... ends.

There's just so much depth and care given to this world, to characters that don't seem important to the wider narrative. Its so interested in all the different parties that a war impacts, whether its the people on top or on the bottom.

I love LOGH a lot.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's the best anime series ever.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
That so many of the multi-episode long B-plots actually land really well, hold your attention, and then meaningfully impact the main story is what makes the whole thing work.

Hard agree with Mr. McGill.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Did I miss season 3 or is that person talking about the ovas, which I don't remember being split into seasons

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Did I miss season 3 or is that person talking about the ovas, which I don't remember being split into seasons

The original series, typically people use the change in OP to signal the change in season.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Whoops, I accidentally started watching the OVA again.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A detail I didn't appreciate on my first viewing: the editing and timing in the OVA during the ship battles is pretty rapid. In universe, it takes hours to execute a fleet maneuver, but it'll cut from one admiral giving an order to the enemy admiral ordering their response as though it was immediate. It's edited like they're having a conversation, and really strengthens the impression that these are battles of wits more than of ships.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

That's also one of the funniest features of the series. It was either in Sea of Stars or Overture where Yang says "We'll be fine so long as the enemy commander doesn't do the thing" followed by Reinhard immediately giving the order to do the thing. It feels like a game of chess, a constant cycle of action and reaction. I felt Die Neue These lost a lot of that feeling.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

That's also one of the funniest features of the series. It was either in Sea of Stars or Overture where Yang says "We'll be fine so long as the enemy commander doesn't do the thing" followed by Reinhard immediately giving the order to do the thing. It feels like a game of chess, a constant cycle of action and reaction. I felt Die Neue These lost a lot of that feeling.

Assuming that you're referring to blowing up the hydrogen atmosphere it should be in Sea of Stars since Overture focused more on the Battle of Astarte.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, the very even back and forth of those early fights were my favourite parts of the show.

The show stayed great, but the whole feeling of the galaxy on the edge of a knife never quite came back after Vermillion.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The group watch normally does four episodes at a time but we had to stop early tonight because

Episode 82 of the OVA.

Requires a week to process.

gently caress, man.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Welcome to our shared trauma

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Am I the only one who didn't particularly like the dude

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
probably

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Swilo posted:

probably

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

he's much more enjoyable in the anime, you hate the guy like five minutes into the books because you get access to the thoughts in his head which just make him out to be a massive jackass

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

RubricMarine posted:

he's much more enjoyable in the anime, you hate the guy like five minutes into the books because you get access to the thoughts in his head which just make him out to be a massive jackass

Do share...

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Nerdietalk posted:

The group watch normally does four episodes at a time but we had to stop early tonight because

Episode 82 of the OVA.

Requires a week to process.

gently caress, man.

I recommend spending some quality time with humanity's friend.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

RubricMarine posted:

He's way more tired and openly cynical in the books, I love both versions of Yang, especially during the tribunal/inquest/court martial/whatever they wanted to call it that day.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Am I the only one who didn't particularly like the dude

I sure hope so, he is very nice.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I think part of why it’s such a harrowing moment is like…

So much of the story is spent building up the conflict between Yang and Reinhard. The whole universe is bending to their rivalry, Reinhard’s interest in fighting Yang is the only thing keeping him going. Yang being forced into political power continues to create greater conflicts around him. All of history is resting on these two individuals.

And a bad plan that nearly fails is what kills Yang. You don’t even get the name of his killer. It doesn’t matter. History doesn’t care about narrative or a “destined” fight or anything like that. It doesn’t follow a pattern to a story. Sometimes something stupid happens and the universe keeps going. You can think about the what ifs and could have beens, but humanity has to keep going. It’s not fair. But history isn’t fair.

Emotionally devastating

Nerdietalk fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 13, 2022

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

maybe spoiler tag that since new people sometimes drop into this thread

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Gonna share some of the screen-caps of some of my favorite moments. I watched episode 27 because that's where I left off with the girlfriend who didn't want to go on watching in a world without Kircheis and I'm still just in awe of the depth of this show in so many different aspects. it's truly unparalleled.

Hilarious moment from the Gaiden episodes; some of the Gaiden's are as good as anything in the 110 OVA episodes

The #2's meet <33333

knox fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 28, 2022

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-03-18/crunchyroll-adds-legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-die-neue-these-season-3-anime/.183740

So I guess the season three episodes are out already? Didn't think we'd see them till October.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I know what I'm doing tonight.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Wow, 24 episodes this time. I know what I'm doing for the next 6 months.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Episode 26: you know I like this show for the space combat and politics, but this episode about Mittermeyer and Reuenthal sitting at the fire talking over drinks is just fine.

Also episode 26, a little later: oh... oh no, is this the one where he...

A little later: yes. Yes it is. :stare:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Also genuinely lol'd at Mittermeyer's father inside the window.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Winifred Madgers posted:

Episode 26: you know I like this show for the space combat and politics, but this episode about Mittermeyer and Reuenthal sitting at the fire talking over drinks is just fine.

Also episode 26, a little later: oh... oh no, is this the one where he...

A little later: yes. Yes it is. :stare:

Though my memory of the original was that it was a rape, not a murder, that he executed one of the noble officers for, is that a change or just my memory playing tricks?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Winifred Madgers posted:

Though my memory of the original was that it was a rape, not a murder, that he executed one of the noble officers for, is that a change or just my memory playing tricks?

Nah it was the same reason as in the reboot, just we actually see it on screen instead of VO narration only. I seem to remember that he also executed a bunch of soldiers on Heinessen, and it might have been that

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I haven't watched any of the new show yet (worth it?), but I am making another good run at an OG rewatch, and to my eternal shame I've never finished up the gaidens so that's definitely on deck as well.

Closing in on the end of season 1. There's a bit of a lull in the middle where not a lot is going on, and some of the one-off Empire episodes are a little corny (seriously, ruler of the Ancient Rome planet who installed himself as Caesar, how did you think that was going to play out?), but once the simultaneous civil wars kick off poo poo gets hot. Am very much enjoying watching both sides repeatedly underestimate their respective Golden Strategy Gods.

Empire Noble: OK Blonde Brat, who made full Admiral at 20 and commands all the best captains in the entire military, let's see what you're really made of :smug:
Sir! Enemy fleet at our flank!
EN: Naniiiiiiiiii?? :rip:

Greenhill Defector: Alright Miracle :airquote: Yang, why don't you show me some of your magician's magic :smuggo:
Sir! Enemy fleet at our flank!
GD: Nandateeeeeee??? :rip:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

kirtar posted:

Nah it was the same reason as in the reboot, just we actually see it on screen instead of VO narration only. I seem to remember that he also executed a bunch of soldiers on Heinessen, and it might have been that

Thats probably it. I'm sure it was involved in at least one scenario because I sharply remember that was why Mittermeyer instantly became one of my favorites. Not that I'm gung-ho about summary executions but in the case of catching an officer in the act of heinous crimes like killing an unarmed civilian, or rape he's unambiguously the good guy, and doubly for the cultural context he's in.

Takes No Damage posted:

I haven't watched any of the new show yet (worth it?)

Yes. It's a different beast in some ways, telling the same tale slightly differently, but it works very well and they complement each other, I would say.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
It's okay to be gung ho about summary executions of nobility officers in a white supremacist eugenic empire.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

once again i am telling folks who are considering rewatching the show: that's good, me too, but also, read the dang ol books

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
I read the first 6 or 7 of them because that was all that was out in english at the time and I remember them being so close to the show that it was just replaying in my head as i read them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Takes No Damage posted:

There's a bit of a lull in the middle where not a lot is going on, and some of the one-off Empire episodes are a little corny (seriously, ruler of the Ancient Rome planet who installed himself as Caesar, how did you think that was going to play out?),

Honestly the novel version of that episode is maybe one of my favorite underrated passages of the first book. It provides a little more background of how the conflict with Ancient Rome planet actually started.

Cut off at the end: "Upon receiving that harshly worded summons, Maximilian realized that some might view his behavior as being problematic."

What an absolute moron.