Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Ah I just realised that Don Davis isn’t doing the music for this :( hopefully they keep the signature sound - everything from the trailer could’ve just been cut from previous tracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

VROOM VROOM posted:

Been reading through Simulacra and Simulation (it's quite dense) but I went ahead and did a ctrl-f for "resurrection" and found some interesting passages

I'm going to be honest, I couldn't get through it. But I do love the "map of the Empire" story, which is how it was introduced to me and generated my initial interest in reading it. It's so effective at conveying the book's premise that they put it in the Wiki article.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

like practically every Wachowski movie the concept here is great and the execution will be profoundly awful

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I rewatched Revolutions last night from start to finish for maybe only the second or third time. That movie is not as bad as I remembered! The end fight scene between Smith and Neo is very bad, but the Zion/Sentinel fight is much better than I remember it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

like practically every Wachowski movie the concept here is great and the execution will be profoundly awful

The only movie I feel they truly botched were parts of Cloud Atlas. People give Jupiter Ascending and Speed Racer a lot of poo poo but I've come to the conclusion that most detractors don't like what they were trying to do with those movies. Has nothing to do with what they actually did, they weren't on board with the premise.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
Revolutions isn't great, but I feel like it's aged well in some respects. Everyone criticised the Zion siege and the Neo VS Smith fight as interminable CGI-fests when it came out, but both sequences seem brisk and restrained in comparison with many more recent blockbusters.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Lobster Henry posted:

Revolutions isn't great, but I feel like it's aged well in some respects. Everyone criticised the Zion siege and the Neo VS Smith fight as interminable CGI-fests when it came out, but both sequences seem brisk and restrained in comparison with many more recent blockbusters.

This was how I felt on a recent rewatch too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The smith/neo fight has the benefit of being a 1 on 1 where the characters get some dialog with each other (beyond quips or catchphrases) -- that alone makes it more compelling than a big marvel cgi brawl where the only spoken work is stuff like "avengers assemble" or whatever

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I think it might have been better if it was a little bit larger. Put Neo up against a larger enemy to really sell how daunting his task was. Just an idea: they were creating so much destruction, what if Smith figured out a way to make some giant junk monster that Neo had to fight?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

if marvel movies are the basis for comparison here i think that's uhhh a bad sign

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I think it might have been better if it was a little bit larger. Put Neo up against a larger enemy to really sell how daunting his task was. Just an idea: they were creating so much destruction, what if Smith figured out a way to make some giant junk monster that Neo had to fight?

okay but isn't this just the final boss fight in Path of Neo?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Thatsbait.jpeg

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The only movie I feel they truly botched were parts of Cloud Atlas. People give Jupiter Ascending and Speed Racer a lot of poo poo but I've come to the conclusion that most detractors don't like what they were trying to do with those movies. Has nothing to do with what they actually did, they weren't on board with the premise.

Jupiter Ascending deserves a lot of poo poo it's gotten though. Not cause what they were trying to do, but what they did. "Oh yeah the girl got kidnapped at the beginning, go rescue her. Oh you rescued her? She got kidnapped again so re-rescue her.". Just an abysmal story.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

if marvel movies are the basis for comparison here i think that's uhhh a bad sign

DC movies too!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
No yeah definitely the final boss of the Matrix should have been a giant junk monster. Or maybe even a Big Smith. Imagine Smith, but bigger. These are all good ideas keep em comin

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Thanks to this thread reminding me that the Imax re-release was a thing, I got to go to that last night. I didn't get to see the original movie in the theaters when it came out, so this was actually the first time I saw it on the big screen. Lot of fun, movie still rules in any format.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Archer666 posted:

Jupiter Ascending deserves a lot of poo poo it's gotten though. Not cause what they were trying to do, but what they did. "Oh yeah the girl got kidnapped at the beginning, go rescue her. Oh you rescued her? She got kidnapped again so re-rescue her.". Just an abysmal story.

I liked the story. It was very Harlequin Romance meets Pulp Sci-Fi in space, very different stuff. I could almost see the "CHAPTER 5: TRAPPED ON THE WARSHIP OF CAINE THE UNDYING" title cards.

I want you to consider that perhaps the multiple kidnappings thing didn't matter and something else about the movie bothered you.

lmao I love this

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 9, 2021

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Colonel Whitey posted:

No yeah definitely the final boss of the Matrix should have been a giant junk monster. Or maybe even a Big Smith. Imagine Smith, but bigger. These are all good ideas keep em comin

What about... and here me out... a giant mechanical spider?

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Bodyholes posted:

What about... and here me out... a giant mechanical spider?

Great idea! As long as it has nipples.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 22, 2021

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 22, 2021

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlDr6aKBtFg
Well, this is just good looking and more than a little mind bending. non -plot but still interesting spoilers in the vid so don't watch if you're sensitive I'm not going to hotlink, just for extra caution

What the poo poo is this movie??

Delzuma fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 10, 2021

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Someone directly talking about set and setting is exciting.

:catdrugs:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1469162485844365312

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU0gvPcc3jQ

JESU CHRISTO.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 10, 2021

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I thought it was petty cool! The detailed mocap of Neo and Trinity’s faces while shooting (on rails) was still overall impressive.

It makes more sense than those loving power aid tie-in commercials for Reloaded at least.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

And all of that is barely advanced from the "Hello World" of Unreal 5 development.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I liked the story. It was very Harlequin Romance meets Pulp Sci-Fi in space, very different stuff. I could almost see the "CHAPTER 5: TRAPPED ON THE WARSHIP OF CAINE THE UNDYING" title cards.

I want you to consider that perhaps the multiple kidnappings thing didn't matter and something else about the movie bothered you.

In the end I just wasn't buying what the movie was selling. And once that happens, I start to notice flaws with the movie (like the plot repeating itself) since I'm completely disengaged from the story. The visuals were cool, enjoyed Eddie Redmayne's performance and the Brazil sequence, but aside from that.... movie's garbage.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

lol rad

Gimme more meta poo poo.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

holy poo poo that matrix demo is insane

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Increasingly annoyed that they didn't release it on PC. Maybe they don't want the 3d models to be extracted?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Archer666 posted:

In the end I just wasn't buying what the movie was selling. And once that happens, I start to notice flaws with the movie (like the plot repeating itself) since I'm completely disengaged from the story. The visuals were cool, enjoyed Eddie Redmayne's performance and the Brazil sequence, but aside from that.... movie's garbage.

the whole "hall of records and titles" bullshit was the most incredible metaphor for changing name/id as a trans person i've seen.

there's more in there about identity and self and jupiter rejecting things in favor of her own self id that are really good, and as you mentioned the visuals are really cool, and the score is fantastic.

i really think JA knocked it out of the park, and stands as another wonderful film the Wachowskis made about being trans.

but that's just my own reading

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

lunar detritus posted:

Increasingly annoyed that they didn't release it on PC. Maybe they don't want the 3d models to be extracted?
is that because people are gonna make them gently caress

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Archer666 posted:

I start to notice flaws with the movie (like the plot repeating itself)

The exact same thing happens in Raiders of the Lost Ark (Indy gets the Ark! Indy loses the Ark to the dang Nazis!) and I've never heard it described as a flaw.

I am glad you liked Redmayne's performance, you and I appear to be the only people who did. He got savaged for playing exactly what the movie needed, a Space Kook.

Did you not enjoy the sunset Chicago dogfight? I thought that scene was visually spectacular.

*Darth Vader voice* Nothing can stop that now.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The problem with JA was that Redmayne was the only performance that was on the movie’s wavelength. Tatum was horribly cast and Kunis was just ok. The leads needed to be better.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Man, they almost had me with that experience. As soon as Neo turned into Young Neo, I audibly went gently caress, but by the time they were in the car it was clear this is just a tech demo for a Matrix video game.

Deepfakes already do this and it's kinda scary, even if they have to degrade the video quality a bit to complete the illusion.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Freakazoid_ posted:

Man, they almost had me with that experience. As soon as Neo turned into Young Neo, I audibly went gently caress, but by the time they were in the car it was clear this is just a tech demo for a Matrix video game.

Deepfakes already do this and it's kinda scary, even if they have to degrade the video quality a bit to complete the illusion.

The deepfake of Jim Carrey over Gary Oldman for the Leon flat shoot-out is scary

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The absolute worst use of deepfake and, yes, technology as a whole is the video of jeffrey epstein singing some oingo boingo song about liking little girls

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

codo27 posted:

The absolute worst use of deepfake and, yes, technology as a whole is the video of jeffrey epstein singing some oingo boingo song about liking little girls

"Some" Oingo Boingo song? That's like, one of "the" Oingo Boingo songs!

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I'm really liking every piece of marketing coming out so far. This is seemingly hitting the right balance of intriguing mystery, a non cringe worthy self awareness of its own cultural relevance, and some really cool looking action sequences that don't involve a comic book character (something that movies have been lacking in lately). As stated before, I hated the original matrix sequels but this one actually looks like a lot of fun. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Is there actually anything to do in this tech demo I’ve wondered around a bit and played with the settings it looks amazing I admit and the city looks huge.