Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Deputy chair of 1922 committee on R4 refused to back Boris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Which is worse:

Blathering incompetence from someone perceived by tory party members as being a leftwing snowflake (as in Johnson) or a very competent right winger (not that I'm convinced there are any competent persons in a position to take over the tory party leadership)?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(not that I'm convinced there are any competent persons in a position to take over the tory party leadership)
Yeah Johnson purged all the competent people & replaced them with rabid ideologues. They've got nobody. Spoke to a right-of-centre colleague about this a while ago, he reckoned the heir apparents are either Sunak or (for real) Truss. I think he said Truss anyway, he might have just been vocalising the sound of a barrel scraping.

(interestingly the same guy said he was excited about the new Shadow Cabinet because he correctly identifies them as centre-right moderate conservatives, idk if that's a trend but it's a 100% sample of tories whom I have spoken to lately)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

kecske posted:

I'm in the queue right now, under 40 walk in

Its totally hit and miss depending on where, and probably who happens to be there when you go. People here have been turned away. The issue is that its currently supposed to be open to all adults to book and it isn't, you're having to chance a walk in which isn't possible for a whole bunch of people with job/life/geographic/transport/anxiety/lazyness issues.

Unrelated I have become interested in the lord mayor of York's "limo". Which isn't a limo, its an 11 year old volvo with a £100k plus personal plate on it, DN1. It's sole advisory on its 2014 MOT was - MODIFIED FOR LORD MAYOR DUTIES and I'm wondering what that might actually mean, such that it is worth mentioning on an MOT.

Oh the other thing is apparently Ladbrokes have the libdem as favourite for the north shropshire byelection. Aren't the gambling odds often seen as pretty good indicators?

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Borrovan posted:

Yeah Johnson purged all the competent people & replaced them with rabid ideologues. They've got nobody. Spoke to a right-of-centre colleague about this a while ago, he reckoned the heir apparents are either Sunak or (for real) Truss. I think he said Truss anyway, he might have just been vocalising the sound of a barrel scraping.

(interestingly the same guy said he was excited about the new Shadow Cabinet because he correctly identifies them as centre-right moderate conservatives, idk if that's a trend but it's a 100% sample of tories whom I have spoken to lately)

I met Liz Truss in a professional context a few years ago and she came across as a libertarian idiot. She was talking up her amazing idea of unregulated "micro-nannies" that parents would all turn to one or two hours at a time to solve both the childcare crisis and poverty. Nothing she has done since has convinced me otherwise. The Tory party do seem to love her though.

I imagine we would end up with an idiot at least in the short term, although it will be interesting to see if the more managerial wing takes over again in time. Spreadsheet Phil is vastly preferable to the current rabble. Where would Keith go then?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Zalakwe posted:

I met Liz Truss in a professional context a few years ago and she came across as a libertarian idiot. She was talking up her amazing idea of unregulated "micro-nannies" that parents would all turn to one or two hours at a time to solve both the childcare crisis and poverty.

A babysitter?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Aren't the gambling odds often seen as pretty good indicators?
No.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
There's a lot of Tories who feel they should be leader.

Gove has the backing of Murdoch.
Patel hits all the right authoritarian notes while being a woman that makes a lot of Gammons have strange thoughts.
Liz Truss has pork market appeal.
Dominic Raab thinks he's been doing a great job and is ready for promotion.
Rishi Sunak is a billionaire's son in law and hence born to rule.
Jeremy Hunt represents the hopes of the pro-business Tories but would have to get past a membership election where a significant number of voters are ex UKIP, Britain First or Brexit Party.

If Bojo had died last year it would have got real Game of Thrones, and I don't see it being any different next year.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ah, OK. A brief google confirms political gamblers tend to be unrepresentative of the wider electorate, being mainly university educated, white middle class and aged males. So I guess about as accurate as any canvas of opinion in this thread is likely to be.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

stev posted:

https://twitter.com/GNev2/status/1468838487499673603?t=FIyPCyQ4dbNW5L5t_E551A&s=19

Add this guy to the list of people doing more opposition than the actual opposition.

Isn't that list pretty much everyone?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zalakwe posted:

She was talking up her amazing idea of unregulated "micro-nannies" that parents would all turn to one or two hours at a time to solve both the childcare crisis and poverty..
You could use a public-private key pair to upload the location of your children to a system with absolutely no DBS checks and then the system generates a nonce.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Zalakwe posted:

her amazing idea of unregulated "micro-nannies"
I hope Truss becomes PM, everything I’ve seen from her suggests the content would be incredible

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Using technology to disrupt the babysitting industry and create wealth.

Guavanaut posted:

You could use a public-private key pair to upload the location of your children to a system with absolutely no DBS checks and then the system generates a nonce.

Yes! But also using the word Blockchain.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I did that thing where I read the reply before the quote and ended up with my brain briefly considering this exchange

Zalakwe posted:

I met Liz Truss in a professional context a few years ago

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Zalakwe posted:

I met Liz Truss in a professional context a few years ago and she came across as a libertarian idiot. She was talking up her amazing idea of unregulated "micro-nannies" that parents would all turn to one or two hours at a time to solve both the childcare crisis and poverty.

I hear tell that these things were quite common at one time and some people are fortunate enough to still have them - 'extended families', I think they were called. Some sort of mutually supportive social group to assist with childcare, setbacks and general bumps and issues in everyday life.

Sounds neat. But I suppose capital couldn't make money off it so it had to destroyed by ruthless individualism and then reformed and sold back to us as [snigger] micro-nannies

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Andrew Neil is trending again. He's written a pro vaccine article that has severely angered his Gbeebie fascist fanbase, and they are going for him. Some of those are tweeting the same picture of Epstein's black book and the woman that Arucuri is being sued for, which probably won't go well for them.

I love watching fash fight fash. It really tickles my schadenfreude gland.

e: Fiona Bruce is also trending because of this
https://twitter.com/RobBurke6/status/1469222495765020673

"Sorry, we are talking about a party, not the impending tide of authoritarianism."

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 10, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

:golfclap:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

fuctifino posted:

Andrew Neil is trending again. He's written a pro vaccine article that has severely angered his Gbeebie fascist fanbase, and they are going for him. Some of those are tweeting the same picture of Epstein's black book and the woman that Arucuri is being sued for, which probably won't go well for them.

I love watching fash fight fash. It really tickles my schadenfreude gland.

Surely you can just tweet those pictures at him and leave it at that, where Arcuri strayed was then going on to heavily imply that he's a nonce (he is)

Mebh
May 10, 2010

It does feel somewhat like we're going to get some bizzaro world where the next election is the tories doing stuff like legalising more recreational drugs and labour going full on right wing authoritarian ASBO insanity at this rate.

The tories will win and the drugs will turn out to be made from DWP claimants or something.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Failed Imagineer posted:

Surely you can just tweet those pictures at him and leave it at that, where Arcuri strayed was then going on to heavily imply that he's a nonce (he is)

I think the image alone is enough implication for him to send his attack lawyers. He was never on the aircraft and never visited the island. He never met Epstein, but attended 3 events that Maxwell organised, hence why his name is in the black book. There are many other people in that book who were in there just because they were influential people.

And re: the photo, he was 45 at the time and she was 35, and a fellow Fox News staff member. They had a relationship that was completely above board and normal.

Mebh posted:

The tories will win and the drugs will turn out to be made from DWP claimants or something.

I could probably be converted into some quite potent soylent THC medibles.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 10, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's always a weird feeling when two very different things I'm following cross over, in this case the ongoing failure of environmental responsibility by the British government and the complete corruption in Romanian incinerator operators.

Like being some film noir detective who just received the newspaper cuttings from my man in Bucharest, only it's the depressing cynical hardboiled genre where everyone stays corrupt forever and I just sigh and drink and the screen fades to sounds of Boris Johnson taking a farty poo poo into a river.

I might start burning all my recycling in my back yard because at least it's marginally better than sticking it into the lungs of some poor bastards who already have the worst air quality in Europe.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I did that thing where I read the reply before the quote and ended up with my brain briefly considering this exchange

Not sure I'm qualified, and I have a two year old and five year old at home.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

fuctifino posted:

And re: the photo, he was 45 at the time and she was 35

If thats true thats still pretty lol, jesus.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

It must be serious. Even Chief Shithead Grimes has lost the faith

https://twitter.com/darrengrimes_/status/1469038275084136453

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

What happens when your local cadre of micro-nannies all decide to gently caress off to the tapas bar at the same time?

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

Serious in public maybe, there still aren't enough letters.

The issue they have is that they can only try and stab him once a year, they might be trying to force him out by assassinating his aides but I very, very much doubt the Bojo is for resigning. More likely they key players are going to take out as many of his top staff as possible so they are basically running the Government anyway, then when the stabbing comes they are closer to the hot seat.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Zalakwe posted:

Serious in public maybe, there still aren't enough letters.

The issue they have is that they can only try and stab him once a year, they might be trying to force him out by assassinating his aides but I very, very much doubt the Bojo is for resigning. More likely they key players are going to take out as many of his top staff as possible so they are basically running the Government anyway, then when the stabbing comes they are closer to the hot seat.

There should be a scheduled "Stab the PM in the back" Day, once a year in parliament.
I've heard march is nice for this.

In all seriousness, the once a year thing basically means the Tories have to be very co-ordinated to take him out, and a lot of the new hires are his hand picked minions, so its got to be tough to figure out which of a party of compulsive liars are telling the truth when they agree to support you, and which are just saying it to give their master another year to rule unchallenged.

We really need a better system of removing MP's and governments, but of course we will never get one, because no one is going to vote to let someone take them off the gravy train!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

smellmycheese posted:

That's just a tantrum against being asked to do the bare loving minimum for the safety of others. Now Grimes wants another 'sensible' Tory in charge who'll let him cough on people in supermarkets again.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's interesting how some of the original fascists post 1918 epidemic were (on paper at least) public health fanatics, even if their obsession with social cleanliness went in a really bad direction, whereas these pricks just want to wipe their filthy taint all over the grocery aisle.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

fuckin bottled it keef https://twitter.com/MailOnline/status/1469072652828557313

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Hmm

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1469208971651260423?s=21

e: I’m not clicking through to the Mail to find out but I assume they’re simply uncritically repeating what the owner has said again

Noxville fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 10, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

or a very competent right winger (not that I'm convinced there are any competent persons in a position to take over the tory party leadership)?
Leadsom would be a concern - she talked an impressive game when she stood in for May at the leader's debates a few years ago. It was all spiteful, vile tory poo poo of course, but the point is that she comes across as competent and convincing if you don't know the counter-theory, and has a clean enough record (plus idiot journos are going to lap up the idea of a female PM as a progressive win, even if her policies and ideas are regressive as gently caress).

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Noxville posted:

Hmm

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1469208971651260423?s=21

e: I’m not clicking through to the Mail to find out but I assume they’re simply uncritically repeating what the owner has said again

Indeed, from reading the governments and scientists comments they haven’t said he didn’t have TB at all, just that the post-mortem results don’t identify what particular strain of TB it is.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

From the Graun:

quote:

“APHA has today confirmed that it was not possible to culture bacteria from tissue samples taken at postmortem examination, meaning that it will not be possible to carry out whole genome sequencing in order to try to understand how the alpaca caught the disease. This does not mean the animal was free of bTB infection because it had previously twice tested positive using highly specific, validated and reliable tests.”

This seems a bit weird to me. How could they not culture bacteria from the tissue samples? Were they drunk when taking the samples? Did they accidentally sample a nearby cow?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Regardless, Starmer must resign.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
lol Leadsom's leading policy over May was that she was a grandmother and she's so malleable the puppet masters got her to sponsor the bill absolving Patterson of any wrong doing

So yes they would definitely put her up for PM again

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

From the Graun:

This seems a bit weird to me. How could they not culture bacteria from the tissue samples? Were they drunk when taking the samples? Did they accidentally sample a nearby cow?

More likely someone hosed up the samples or the tests or both.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I do like the part of the story that makes it sound like a political assassination

quote:

A team of four vets supported by at least 10 police officers took Geronimo from his home at a farm in south Gloucestershire and drove him to an undisclosed location, where he was killed.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Noxville posted:

I do like the part of the story that makes it sound like a political assassination

You ever tried to get a llama down a flight of stairs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Noxville posted:

Little black bag over his head.