Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bedlam posted:

Man, Psychonauts 2 is really getting snubbed in this Game Awards thing. Only Game of the Year will leave me satisfied now.

I'm afraid you got hosed like the Oscars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

None of those games were better than Psychonauts 2, in my completely unbiased opinion. Time to complain on the internet.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Halo Infinite not being nominated and still winning the award that people can actually vote for is funny. Was smart launching the multiplayer early because it freakin' owns

Wasn't expecting Hellblade II gameplay so soon either but ay caramba :stare:

I think Xbox wins accessibility stuff just by default due to the adaptive controller and actually making an effort

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It was good. Coulda been better.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It was worse than it has ever been.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oh i meant psychonauts 2

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Detective No. 27 posted:

I also found it ironic that they didn't have any sign language interpreters up there for the acceptance.

What does a sign language interpreter do in a video game?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Makes vroom vroom and bang bang motions I think

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

What do subtitles do in a video game?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

While the sad dad protagonist mumbles to himself about how he should hide in that convenient bush, a tiny person in the corner of the screen translates for the hard of hearing.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Who else is super hyped for Space Marine 2?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
make sure to load up the game pass app on your xbox and check out the halo dynamic themes. Hoping there a lot more of these in the future!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

make sure to load up the game pass app on your xbox and check out the halo dynamic themes. Hoping there a lot more of these in the future!

On a related note, my Teams background at work is Zeta Halo because microsoft believes in synergy and all my coworkers have complemented the beautiful nature painting I have

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lammasu posted:

Who else is super hyped for Space Marine 2?

Yep! Very excited.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

SUNKOS posted:

Wasn't expecting Hellblade II gameplay so soon either but ay caramba :stare:

As a man from Northern Ireland I'm a bit annoyed that the NI dude from the first game isn't narrating the gameplay reveal trailer. At least the first 10 seconds, at which point I fired up the Awful forums to complain!

https://youtu.be/JXYs86tsnQw

Holy poo poo... I kept waiting for the in-engine cinematic to end and gameplay to begin, and then the video ended. It was all gameplay. loving incredible.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 10, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm really liking Infinite a lot. More than I expected to tbh.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

veni veni veni posted:

I'm really liking Infinite a lot. More than I expected to tbh.
:agreed:

I’m also dying a lot more than I anticipated playing on normal. All grapple all the time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Halo Infinite probably has the best combat barks since FEAR, so if thats what they spent the year working on, congrats

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm playing on Heroic and I'm finding it a pretty perfect balance of being a bit tough but not obnoxiously so. I don't think I'd want to gently caress with Legendary.

Vehicles are op though lol.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m really liking it now. Best halo I’ve played. Opening the game with two boring as gently caress linear levels was bizarre. Just lemme fly around the map! That’s the good stuff.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Whoever at 343 pushed to create a jingle for "puzzle complete" and had the chops to also have it work as "puzzle partially complete" is a genius. Such a pleasant little clip even if it further highlights the Zelda bits

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’m really liking it now. Best halo I’ve played. Opening the game with two boring as gently caress linear levels was bizarre. Just lemme fly around the map! That’s the good stuff.

Its funny. When you hit the open world and realize its Breath of the Halo it improves a ton, and then the linear missions become a nice pace change to challenge you by limiting your approaches (i.e. not rolling 4 marines deep on a razorback bringing death).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think the linear opening was a cool idea but it should have been 45 minutes or less, not 2 hours.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Barudak posted:

Whoever at 343 pushed to create a jingle for "puzzle complete" and had the chops to also have it work as "puzzle partially complete" is a genius. Such a pleasant little clip even if it further highlights the Zelda bits

In general all of the little audio cues in the game are unexplainably satisfying even down to just killing an enemy. It really adds to the game. There's some very good audio work going on.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I just saw the reveal trailer of Hellblade 2 and that looked absolutely insane. Should I play the first one? What kind of game is it?

Escape Goat posted:

Halo Infinite has some Doom 2016/Eternal DNA in it... which makes me want glory kills instead of waiting for shield recharging

There is a skull somewhere you can unlock that makes it so your shield will only recharge when you punch someone to death.

1glitch0 posted:

Subtitles can't convey the tone and emotion in the speaker's voice very well but sign language can.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 10, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The only thing about the grapple that annoys the gently caress out of me is that when you use it on short enemies like the annoying little guys or the shield dorks it's super easy to miss the melee and it's so deflating. Whoops went right over yer head.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah it needs to be more generous with the auto aim.

Also the symbol showing you if you can grapple is loving TINY, why not make the entire cross hair turn yellow or something? Seems super bad for accessibility

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Some screens from that Matrix thingy
:captainpop:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah the reticle showing more clearly if you were going to whiff the grapple or not would be nice. Even with just basic traversal which seems like a coin flip. It often just slaps back in my face and I have no idea why.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

In general all of the little audio cues in the game are unexplainably satisfying even down to just killing an enemy. It really adds to the game. There's some very good audio work going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz3OhkC_GbY

Some screens from that Matrix thingy
:captainpop:

The Coalition is taking time out to get to grips with UE5 and I'm pumped as hell for the next Gears game :twisted:

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 10, 2021

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Not sure if this is a good place to ask, but I'm really struggling with something for my kid's Christmas present.

He wants "The Legendary Phoenix: Arctic Adventure", a Minecraft world. From what I can tell this was given away free for a while. However I cannot find any trace of this in the Marketplace, even looking through everything made by the creator, Goe Craft.

Can anyone take pity on me and let me know what I'm missing here? Do people just pull worlds from the marketplace?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

John F Bennett posted:

I just saw the reveal trailer of Hellblade 2 and that looked absolutely insane. Should I play the first one? What kind of game is it?

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is a dark fantasy action adventure game about a Celtic warrior's journey into the Norse underworld to reclaim the soul of her lover. It's about one third walky sim, one third puzzle solving, and one third melee combat. The game is most noteworthy for accurately and faithfully recreating many signs and symptoms of psychosis, which the main character suffers from. It also makes incredible use of binaural audio and has one of the best performances I've ever seen from Senua's motion capture actress. It's altogether a very unique and memorable game, and only takes about 6-8 hours to complete. Everybody will tell you that headphones are mandatory for the experience.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Smellblade Poo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Senua's Log O' (dookie)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I feel like I'm going crazy when people keep saying that something that looked like a six-minute cutscene looked like gameplay :psyduck:

Like maybe the game actually does look like that, with no tricks like fake camera angles and UI elements hidden, and it isn't something lame like six minutes of QTEs. But I can't tell and I've seen enough deceptive trailers that I'll believe it when I see it.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

exquisite tea posted:

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is a dark fantasy action adventure game about a Celtic warrior's journey into the Norse underworld to reclaim the soul of her lover. It's about one third walky sim, one third puzzle solving, and one third melee combat. The game is most noteworthy for accurately and faithfully recreating many signs and symptoms of psychosis, which the main character suffers from. It also makes incredible use of binaural audio and has one of the best performances I've ever seen from Senua's motion capture actress. It's altogether a very unique and memorable game, and only takes about 6-8 hours to complete. Everybody will tell you that headphones are mandatory for the experience.

Ok thanks! I will try it out, finally a use for headphones!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ninja Theory should change their name because I always momentarily think they're the more talented Team Ninja whenever one of their games get revealed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

I feel like I'm going crazy when people keep saying that something that looked like a six-minute cutscene looked like gameplay :psyduck:

Like maybe the game actually does look like that, with no tricks like fake camera angles and UI elements hidden, and it isn't something lame like six minutes of QTEs. But I can't tell and I've seen enough deceptive trailers that I'll believe it when I see it.

People are saying that because the first game also had no UI elements and appeared in the same unbroken way.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

John F Bennett posted:

I contend that it's a great example of video games as art.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

John F Bennett posted:

It's one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. That it was made by a studio of 20 people and looks, sounds and plays like it does is incredible.

Also, everyone should check out The Matrix Awakens. Play it if you have the hardware or watch videos of it if you don't. It broke my loving mind.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-the-matrix-ue5-demo-is-incredible

Brief write-up there, complete with many typos.

Lammasu posted:

I contend that it's a great example of video games as art.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
hellblAIDS