Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Sounds/Looks like it's going to be a Northgard style RTS with Dune skin, tbh. I think you'll literally be exploring unknown region with a scout unit, and each region will have 1 or 2 POI you can exploit. Heavy upkeep will limit expansion and unit production to a slow pace. That's how similar it's going to be with Northgard. Not necessary a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Anno posted:

There's a new Dune RTS? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1605220/Dune_Spice_Wars/?curator_clanid=4777282&utm_source=SteamDB

From the folks what made Northgard, who just launched Wartales into Early Access last week. Busy times for what I assumed was a tiny studio.

Wartales is extremely unfinished unless I'm missing something so I hope they are not just abandoning it in favor of the dune license money.

Like, units stop gaining exp at level 5. There are only 3 tiers of weapon and 2 tiers of armor. Most of the life skills/trade skills have no actual use, and the combat is massively unbalanced in the player's favor since the player and AI play with completely different rulesets. The world is full of invisible walls due to unfinished areas.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 10, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mordja posted:

That's the same player character as the first, though unfortunately not voiced by Mark Strong anymore.

I honestly couldn't tell. I even looked up the first one and went "...maybe?"

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I just want to signal boost a game that I came across entirely by accident on Steam:

Golden Treasure: The Great Green is a CYOA / "King of Dragon Pass"-like about being a dragon.

You start out as a dragon within an egg, hatch to immediately discover your mother was just killed by "No-tails" (Bronze age people), Bambi style. You have to make it on your own, explore the land, stalk and hunt prey, and gather up treasure and artifacts in your hoard. Every encounter will help you grow your four elemental attributes (earth, wind, fire, water) that govern your combat stats and event skill checks. Once you're big enough, you flee the initial land of your birth to establish your own territory in the untouched wilds beyond human territory, the Great Green. It's a three act game, with the first act being your initial childhood, your second act being your adolescence in the Great Green, and the final act being your ascension into adulthood and the making of an Important Choice.

It's charming. It's well-written, has beautiful art, and a genuinely touching story with a real message that you can tell was made by real people.

Only caveat I have is that, somewhat unusually for the genre, they implemented a roguelite style death system. Three deaths and your run is over, and deaths come quickly for a young dragon hunted by humans. Your game is automatically saved with each choice, as well, so no reloading from a previous save. But there is some meta-progression. As you're hunting, your knowledge of the animals you hunt increases, and when you restart each animal you've fully learned about will give a bonus to your attributes for the next run. And when you reach a major story milestone or complete certain sidequests, you will unlock tarot cards that carry over that provide major attribute bonuses or special mechanic bonuses (eg get hungry slower or automatically identify all artifacts). I died twice before completing my first run, both times in the first chapter, after which I had enough of a skill base and player/game knowledge that things went smoothly after.

There's a time limit on each act (between 20-50 turns depending on the chapter) that would prevent a completionist run. If that bothers you (like me), it's easy to edit the xml files and extend that limit arbitrarily high until you've done everything you want for that act, and then lower it back down so you can move on to the next. It's also easy to edit the xml files to start with whatever stats you'd like, so if you really feel the need to play on story mode you absolutely can.

It costs $20 and took me 18 hours to finish. There's three main endings determined by the Important Choice you make at the end, and one secret ending locked behind unlocking every tarot card and maxing your stats. Having save scummed to see all 3 main endings, I didn't feel like running back through the game 2 more times to officially complete all 3 main endings just to unlock the secret ending, and I'm okay with that. It still was a really quality game that left good memories I can tell will stick with me. I highly recommend it.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
GTFO added checkpoints and AI partners.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Oh hell yes. I could do with less Gearbox, but Blackbird Interactive made Deserts of Kharak, which is awesome. They completely nailed the soundscape and feel of Homeworld. Hype.

Hey, let's watch the Intro of Deserts of Kharak again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bseNXBUKlJM

The strings, the cinematography, the seamless shift from animation to in game graphics, the cinematography, the music. Hell loving yes. Just look at how they strategically placed smol humans in there to make it clear how crazy the scale is.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

lmao 80 euros in Europe

Square Enix jumping straight from 60€ to 80€. There's a GMG 20% off discount and it's still more expensive than previous full price games.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That price hike bullshit can go gently caress itself.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

That price hike bullshit can go gently caress itself.

But dawg, video games are just so expensive to make these days. How else are we gonna recoup the thousands of man hours spent ensuring you can accurately count every pore on the main character's flesh? Plus you gotta satisfy those share holders!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Leal posted:

But dawg, video games are just so expensive to make these days. How else are we gonna recoup the thousands of man hours spent ensuring you can accurately count every pore on the main character's flesh? Plus you gotta satisfy those share holders!

Give each shareholder only half a bucket of cocaine every meeting.
I don't care that you're bad at budgeting.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

$93.50 for Canadians.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

The Final Fantasy 7 Remake (Intergrade) is coming out in 6 days lol
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/final-fantasy-vii-remake-intergrade

Epic exclusive and probably also ridiculously priced.

:thanks: square

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Sweet

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Flimf posted:

It seems to be the same price as Forspoken on Steam. The price is on the front page of Epic Store on one of the cycling banners. It's $69.99 in US and 79.99€ in Europe.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Superanos posted:

It seems to be the same price as Forspoken on Steam. The price is on the front page of Epic Store on one of the cycling banners. It's $69.99 in US and 79.99€ in Europe.

Thanks, weird that they only show the price there.

Regardless, that is certainly a ridiculous price.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

....and nothing of value was lost.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

About $40 in Argentina, pre-tax (jumps to about $67 after tax :v:)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Unfortunately it seems like a lot of times you have to wait until a game is ancient to get a decent discount now. Sekiro is still $37 on sale.

Sekiro is published by Activision. It will literally never go on deep discount.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Antigravitas posted:

Oh hell yes. I could do with less Gearbox, but Blackbird Interactive made Deserts of Kharak, which is awesome. They completely nailed the soundscape and feel of Homeworld. Hype.

Hey, let's watch the Intro of Deserts of Kharak again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bseNXBUKlJM

The strings, the cinematography, the seamless shift from animation to in game graphics, the cinematography, the music. Hell loving yes. Just look at how they strategically placed smol humans in there to make it clear how crazy the scale is.

Homeworld 3 is going to look and sound incredible and play like crap. It's a real shame none of the gameplay people from Relic made the jump.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

Homeworld 3 is going to look and sound incredible and play like crap. It's a real shame none of the gameplay people from Relic made the jump.

I was very disappointed by HW2 already. Possibly because Cataclysm was so much better in every way.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I played Cataclysm for the first time like two years ago and holy poo poo, that was so loving awesome. It is definitely in the upper tier of all time RTS campaigns.

I enjoyed Deserts of Kharak a lot, though not enough to finish it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

They're charging that price and they couldn't even come up with a better premise than every loving isekai anime shovelled out in the last few years?

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I guess you mean on PC? Major PS5 games are that much too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

somehow the map in Transiruby gives you a ton of useful info without actually telling you where the hell you need to go

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

deep dish peat moss posted:

Wartales is extremely unfinished unless I'm missing something so I hope they are not just abandoning it in favor of the dune license money.

Like, units stop gaining exp at level 5. There are only 3 tiers of weapon and 2 tiers of armor. Most of the life skills/trade skills have no actual use, and the combat is massively unbalanced in the player's favor since the player and AI play with completely different rulesets. The world is full of invisible walls due to unfinished areas.

I’m sure they didn’t just get the Dune license last week and rush to announce this game, putting everything else on hold. Judging by the screenshots it’s probably been in development a year or two already.

Wartales seems to have sold quite well (and it’s reviewed very well), and they’ve put out their initial roadmap. I’m sure the game will continue to be supported just fine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Homeworld games are a big blind spot for me so I tried to get into the Gearbox remaster but it's disappointingly lovely. Deserts of Kharak was awesome, though.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Wiltsghost posted:

Is this the first 70 dollar game?
*laughs in Australian* :australia:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

John Murdoch posted:

Sekiro is published by Activision. It will literally never go on deep discount.
The original Black Ops from 2010 is still $40 on Steam :lol:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I hope the $70 video game idea brings out the 'weaponized gamer' crowd and they review bomb or whatever, sales are low, and the price increase for all games is delayed for another couple years. I also wouldn't be surprised if they lower the price almost immediately, then the $70 initial price becomes a kind of a first-in-line fee that boost profits for two weeks.

In AoW Planetfall, I got some kind of perk that gives all ranged characters overwatch, but I guess I have to activate it somehow? It's not a weapon mod. How do I find it and use it? I don't see anything on character upgrade options even when we're on base.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Mescal posted:

I hope the $70 video game idea brings out the 'weaponized gamer' crowd and they review bomb or whatever, sales are low, and the price increase for all games is delayed for another couple years. I also wouldn't be surprised if they lower the price almost immediately, then the $70 initial price becomes a kind of a first-in-line fee that boost profits for two weeks.

In AoW Planetfall, I got some kind of perk that gives all ranged characters overwatch, but I guess I have to activate it somehow? It's not a weapon mod. How do I find it and use it? I don't see anything on character upgrade options even when we're on base.

The protagonist is a young, African American woman, so don't worry, "weaponized gamers" have been hysterically screeching and foaming at mouth about this game for a while.

Also, I dunno if I understood you question about AoW: Planetfall correctly, but Overwatch is an activated ability that you have to manually use in tactical combat. Outside of tactical combat, there should be "Overwatch" in the ability tab of ranged units in the same army as the hero with that perk.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Lt. Lizard posted:

The protagonist is a young, African American woman, so don't worry, "weaponized gamers" have been hysterically screeching and foaming at mouth about this game for a while.

Also, I dunno if I understood you question about AoW: Planetfall correctly, but Overwatch is an activated ability that you have to manually use in tactical combat. Outside of tactical combat, there should be "Overwatch" in the ability tab of ranged units in the same army as the hero with that perk.

Sure, but it just wasn't added to the archers' hotbar. It's possible that I misread the perk, but it said something about overwatch for all ranged characters. I'm 90% sure.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Flimf posted:

Wow finally. Bit of a bummer it's not on Steam though. Guess that'll be the first game I ever buy on Epic Games.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Mescal posted:

Sure, but it just wasn't added to the archers' hotbar. It's possible that I misread the perk, but it said something about overwatch for all ranged characters. I'm 90% sure.

There is a lot of ranged attacks and abilities that can't be granted Overwatch (most of AoE ranged attacks for example). Bow-wielding units (and heroes) are one of those, IIRC, because bow attacks ignore cover. For Amazons, Overwatch can be granted to most of their laser wielding units (including the T-Rex). I want to say that it's mentioned somewhere in the in-game help, but I'm genuinely not sure.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Anno posted:

There's a new Dune RTS? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1605220/Dune_Spice_Wars/?curator_clanid=4777282&utm_source=SteamDB

From the folks what made Northgard, who just launched Wartales into Early Access last week. Busy times for what I assumed was a tiny studio.

Looks interesting but I bounced off Northgard so hard. It was definitely missing something but I can't put my finger on exactly what.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

DatonKallandor posted:

The gameplay features they've talked about are literally a laundry list of everything you were loudly mad wasn't in HW2, including the all important fully simulated ballistics so you can gently caress up and shoot your own ships

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Psycho Landlord posted:

The gameplay features they've talked about are literally a laundry list of everything you were loudly mad wasn't in HW2, including the all important fully simulated ballistics so you can gently caress up and shoot your own ships

He hate's DOK, he might as well be dead.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Sometimes I just wish people could enjoy things :(

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Homeworld games are a big blind spot for me so I tried to get into the Gearbox remaster but it's disappointingly lovely. Deserts of Kharak was awesome, though.
Was it the remaster or the gameplay of Homeworld 1/2 you found lovely? If the former, as someone who has it on their wishlist and played the originals way back when, what's wrong with it?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Lt. Lizard posted:

There is a lot of ranged attacks and abilities that can't be granted Overwatch (most of AoE ranged attacks for example). Bow-wielding units (and heroes) are one of those, IIRC, because bow attacks ignore cover. For Amazons, Overwatch can be granted to most of their laser wielding units (including the T-Rex). I want to say that it's mentioned somewhere in the in-game help, but I'm genuinely not sure.

We're amazon and the shrikes and lancers (pterodactyls and velociraptors) don't have overwatch on their lasers. The commander (sniper) and arboreal sentinel are the only who do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Foulbrood posted:

Was it the remaster or the gameplay of Homeworld 1/2 you found lovely? If the former, as someone who has it on their wishlist and played the originals way back when, what's wrong with it?

The Remaster launched with some of HW2's changes backported into HW1 haphazardly which made HW1 play less effectively than it did (which could be circumvented by just playing the OG HW1 which was included in the package) HW2 was the best it had ever been, meanwhile.

A couple years later BBI did a passion patch and ended up reintroducing a lot of HW1 mechanics that were missing into both games like ballistics sim and all that, which made the HW1 remaster play more like the original and also made HW2 a hilarious clusterfuck of friendly fire in the later missions.

The remasters are Fine (tm) now and definitely pretty, plus there's a genuinely good community patch in circulation to help with some of the last few mechanical sore spots. The package also has the OGs updated to run on modern systems so it's still a good buy if you don't have your old discs or feel like screwing with compatibility.