Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

petit choux posted:

The problem turns out that primates don't make very good hosts for intelligence.

Turns out our big secret was adept fingers not a crease-y brain. Then our fingers made tools smarter than we are and those tools proceeded to kill us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

it's really cute that they used a picture from china of chinese people using plastic in their farming when it's extremely common in america, i guess probably all over the world

i remember working for a farm/research station, and sometimes the plastic we were pulling up ripped and we couldn't get it all out of the mud and "oh well, it's just in the ground now" smdh

we would throw all the fruit and veggies grown with experimental chemicals not approved for human consumption into a giant rotten cesspit in one corner of the farm

fun times

i remember riding on the back on trucks watching the clouds of mosquitoes who were probably born in the cesspit following us lmao

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

actionjackson posted:

you can definitely find clothing stores that are REALLY nice, and have very high quality stuff

Post the highest quality work clothes you have that dont fall apart after 6mo of manual labor or less. Gonna lol when its some crummy double stiched deluth trading crap

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I'm fully expecting that the United States Navy just caused a Chernobyl severity fuel spill on Oahu

https://www.kitv.com/news/local/fear-over-contaminated-water-grows-across-oahu/article_e00a6bfc-58c0-11ec-b36c-af416a07b365.html

quote:

HONOLULU (KITV4) -- As the Navy pushes back on a state order to remove the millions of gallons of fuel at its underground facility at Red Hill, more Oahu residents are worried contaminated water might be running through their pipes.

"There's a handful of us we're going 100% bottle water for everything," said Pearl City Peninsula resident Dee Momilani.

According to the Navy, the areas affected by the tainted water include the Red Hill Naval Reservation, Aliamanu Military Reservation and military housing around the airport.

But residents outside the affected areas and as far as the Pearl City Peninsula, are now complaining about foul water.

"They're now starting to get headaches and they're drinking off of the pipe water. They're finding oil sheen in their water, some type of a film residue on top of their water. They're seeing residue grease," she added. "They're starting to smell odor -- like a strong chemical odor coming from their faucet."

Ernest Lau, chief engineer at the Board of Water Supply, said it is critical the Navy get the fuel out of the Red Hill underground storage tanks that sit a hundred feet above Oahu's main aquifer.

"I cannot stress the importance of time because the longer things take to remove fuel out of the Navy's Red Hill fuel tanks and pipelines, the risk remains to an aquifer that it might be further contaminated, possibly even contaminated badly by a catastrophic leak," he said.

Lau said he's disappointed the Navy isn't taking the situation as serious as the rest of the community.

The navy reiterated today it will cease operations at the Red Hill underground storage tanks, at least until the investigation into the cause of the water contamination is complete.

It seems increasingly likely that they dumped hundreds of thousands of gallons of fuel directly into the aquifer that supplies water for the million people in Honolulu, irreparably poisoning it for decades. How funny is it going to be when you can't go to Waikiki anymore because the water for the entire island is poisoned.

Also their tanks have been a huge controversy for over a decade. I've been on several committees that have told them they need to fix their tanks before this happened and the Navy was just like "lol no they're safe and leak proof"

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Saudi Aramco IPO: World's most profitable company to go public (3 November 2019)

Aramco Warns World’s Spare Oil Supplies Are Falling Rapidly (October 25, 2021)

Halliburton says the world is entering a period of oil scarcity (December 6, 2021)

:thunk:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Stereotype posted:

I'm fully expecting that the United States Navy just caused a Chernobyl severity fuel spill on Oahu

https://www.kitv.com/news/local/fear-over-contaminated-water-grows-across-oahu/article_e00a6bfc-58c0-11ec-b36c-af416a07b365.html

It seems increasingly likely that they dumped hundreds of thousands of gallons of fuel directly into the aquifer that supplies water for the million people in Honolulu, irreparably poisoning it for decades. How funny is it going to be when you can't go to Waikiki anymore because the water for the entire island is poisoned.

Also their tanks have been a huge controversy for over a decade. I've been on several committees that have told them they need to fix their tanks before this happened and the Navy was just like "lol no they're safe and leak proof"

What can even be done about this kind of water poisoning?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Mr. Lobe posted:

there are lots of options, without federal orders to clean it up like the hanfir site I doubt whatever they do will be anywhere near enough.

proper environmental remediation is really, really expensive. and not fast. any real solution would need to be innovative and have an infinite budget.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Mr. Lobe posted:

Set up infrastructure to clean up water at the municipal level.

Oahu's water quality is (was) excellent so no such infrastructure is in place and would take years to implement.

The aquifer itself is hosed.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Mr. Lobe posted:

oh grow up, it's just a little poison in your water, you'll be fine

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

serious answer: you'll build an immunity to the poison over time thousands/millions of years of evolutionary adaption

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

obama will come out of retirement, fly to Honolulu and drink some “tap” water smugly to prove its safety

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Tabletops posted:

there are lots of options, without federal orders to clean it up like the hanfir site I doubt whatever they do will be anywhere near enough.

proper environmental remediation is really, really expensive. and not fast. any real solution would need to be innovative and have an infinite budget.

oh god this is gonna somehow end up involving elon musk somehow wont it

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

adding a movie to the thread watchlist:

The Host (Bong Joon-Ho, not the Stephanie Meyer one)

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Is this it? Is this... peak oil?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

gay_crimes posted:

obama will come out of retirement, fly to Honolulu and drink some “tap” water smugly to prove its safety

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2ZynkD3N_k

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

oh god this is gonna somehow end up involving elon musk somehow wont it

god no

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

petit choux posted:

hosts for intelligence.

:shepface:

is this idealism's final form

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr. Lobe posted:

you can do municipal water treatment with surface skimmers and saponification but lol no such thing exists there and i think a lot of places there just use wells directly because it used to be fine

anyways im sure tourist hotels can have water tankers come in, waikiki will be fine.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://twitter.com/guardianeco/status/1469192041888288768?s=20

hey, that doesn’t sound so b–

quote:

The concept of organism-encrusted plastic may sound like the story of ocean species triumphing in spite of human folly. But that’s not quite the case, explains Juan José Alava, PhD, an expert in marine ecotoxicology and conservation at the University of British Columbia.

In addition to transporting non-native species to delicate habitats where they may become invasive and destructive, neopelagic communities are “basically an ecological trap” says Alava. That’s because the sheer density of plastic in the ocean (researchers expect 600m metric tons of garbage will collect in the ocean by 2040) leads to the creation of permanent floating structures, covered in small species that attract creatures higher up the food chain, such as fish, turtles and mammals. When these creatures enter garbage gyres seeking shelter and food, they run a high risk of eating and/or becoming caught in plastic and dying. “For example, often the calves of whales, they are very curious – but that curiosity could lead them to get entangled and die,” says Alava.

While scientists have found some types of bacteria are able to break down hydrocarbons in plastic, thereby cleaning up garbage, it’s unlikely that the types of filter-feeding invertebrates thriving in neopelagic communities will have any such effect.

haha oops! better luck next time, “the ocean”!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
btw incase any goons had any silly notions that they could flee to the "woods" (lol they dont exist) and subsist on deer, well...

https://www.fieldandstream.com/hunting/maine-issues-deer-consumption-advisory/

quote:

Lawns, gardens and fields all across the US being slathered in pfas - the entire world really. Run off getting into lakes, streams and aquifers. Man and beast are draped in it. No escape.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/may/28/home-fertilizer-toxic-pfas-forever-chemicals-sewage-sludge

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2021/06/its-literally-raining-pfas-around-the-great-lakes-say-researchers.html

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/...f4f6dd899b.html

Xaris has issued a correction as of 09:56 on Dec 10, 2021

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I have to admit, non-stick deer were not on my list.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
someone post the day in the life of plastic human

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
I'm morbidly curious as to how the first world countries are going to handle food shortages and/or outright famine in the information age.

Tens hundreds of thousands running out of food while their internet connections are still paid for, getting called pussies by fascists that haven't been hit yet but also not getting a hell of a lot of sympathy from people who have survived food insecurity in the past. At least in the beginning.

I know a lot of us have been there, going a week or more on nothing except maybe a ramen packet, can of corn, or single-serving bag of ham slices maybe once every few days due to inexperience, bad planning, or outright lack of options.

I don't know. I'm just wondering what happens when a bunch of otherwise comfortable people are confronted with the fact that being "hungry" isn't just skipping breakfast or neglecting to grab a late night snack; when they're confronted by the fact that a single, unseasoned hard-boiled egg is a feast for kings if you don't know when you'll eat again. Especially when they can still tweet or post on Facebook or whatever about it.

Again, just morbid curiosity.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I saw an interesting discussion about death and america. i never really thought about it but it seems true. a lot of cultures and past societies had to deal with death visible and was often a major tradition in treating and caring for the dead, be it or human or non-human.

In America, most people die quietly in a hospital bed or taken away if discovered. maybe a family given a phone call to say that they died and heres a number for a funeral service that will pick up the body for you for $2,000. likely they're cremated off-site and you get an urn in the mail, or maybe theres an open-casket funeral 3 weeks later. Or maybe not. even most people who died of covid were all neatly off-site and processed all completely removed from a visceral experience other than they're just no longer there.

And we are also so far removed from our source of meat: it comes in neatly cut-up and artificially colored for appearances all nicely packaged saran-wrapped plastic plates for $9.99/lb. the most we see of any sort of whole animal is probably a turkey or maybe getting sad at a possom that's been road-killed. most people don't really think of a slab of protein as having belonged to a living being and having to dress and cut up animals that get brought into town.

so much like animals and even our own mortality is so abstracted, i wonder what psychological developments that gives rise to. is it more likely to only see ourselves as immortal beings at the center of the universe? death as merely an abstract notion?

probably doesn't tie into planetary death though

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

A Terrible Person posted:

I'm morbidly curious as to how the first world countries are going to handle food shortages and/or outright famine in the information age.
it's fine. if we get hungry we're going to the woods to hunt+gather potato OP

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tens hundreds of thousands running out of food while their internet connections are still paid for, getting called pussies by fascists that haven't been hit yet but also not getting a hell of a lot of sympathy from people who have survived food insecurity in the past. At least in the beginning.

I know a lot of us have been there, going a week or more on nothing except maybe a ramen packet, can of corn, or single-serving bag of ham slices maybe once every few days due to inexperience, bad planning, or outright lack of options.

I don't know. I'm just wondering what happens when a bunch of otherwise comfortable people are confronted with the fact that being "hungry" isn't just skipping breakfast or neglecting to grab a late night snack; when they're confronted by the fact that a single, unseasoned hard-boiled egg is a feast for kings if you don't know when you'll eat again. Especially when they can still tweet or post on Facebook or whatever about it.

Turn your OS language to Hindu or Arabic, go on Facebook, and find out.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Sereri posted:

I have to admit, non-stick deer were not on my list.

*fires rifle, but misses*

slippery little fucker

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Tens hundreds of thousands running out of food while their internet connections are still paid for

the hunger gamers

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

it's fine. if we get hungry we're going to the woods to hunt+gather potato OP

First I imagined cities marketing skinned rats and/or carpet fungus as "urban potatoes."

Then I imagined city-dwellers descending upon the surrounding suburbs like locusts and rediscovering what roots, berries, and greenery are safe for consumption by trial and error.

Thank goodness I am in a semi rural area and have at least some room to forage for what few local edibles I can identify. Probably not a bad time to start ordering visual guides for edible plants/fungi though. And proper cooking methods if possible.

And stocking up on beans and seeds, naturally.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Turn your OS language to Hindu or Arabic, go on Facebook, and find out.

Point taken. Apologies.

VVVV I can see some idiot trying to pluck and eat dune grass without realizing only the roots are edible just because they look unique and howling my butt off

A Terrible Person has issued a correction as of 10:51 on Dec 10, 2021

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

First I imagined cities marketing skinned rats and/or carpet fungus as "urban potatoes."

Then I imagined city-dwellers descending upon the surrounding suburbs like locusts and rediscovering what roots, berries, and greenery are safe for consumption by trial and error.

Thank goodness I am in a semi rural area and have at least some room to forage for what few local edibles I can identify. Probably not a bad time to start ordering visual guides for edible plants/fungi though. And proper cooking methods if possible.

And stocking up on beans and seeds, naturally.

Point taken. Apologies.

I imagined some millennial trained on years of WoW traipsing through the forest while trying to find a place with a Gather option.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Umless you live in like maybe some astonishingly natural fertile area that hasn't been ravaged (maybe adirondacks), there is actually astonishingly little you can forage. at least in america. if you want to do a fun cspam challenge for your own education and others bemusement, spend a week eating only what you gather. and post it.

it's short enough you won't die of hunger but long enough it may be very funny to dispel others of silly notions of gathering subsistence. and a good learning exercise.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

quote:

supermarket? more like sub-par-market

★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

umm where’s all the food lmao? like why even bother to open if u rnt goin to stock basic poo poo. n ur staff had a real bad attitude when i asked them to check the back, its not my fault u cnt run a store bithc

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

Umless you live in like maybe some astonishingly natural fertile area that hasn't been ravaged (maybe adirondacks), there is actually astonishingly little you can forage. at least in america. if you want to do a fun cspam challenge for your own education and others bemusement, spend a week eating only what you gather. and post it.

it's short enough you won't die of hunger but long enough it may be very funny to dispel others of silly notions of gathering subsistence. and a good learning exercise.

I'm loving piss poor right now so this doesn't seem like a bad idea. However I also live near a state park that I could surreptitiously remove plants from so it kinda feels like cheating. Especially since I also live near my parents who have lots of acreage and from where I could discretely supplement my diet with meat even if I had to resort to off-season poaching. Or, gently caress, convince my ex-wife to use her First Nations exemption to help me gather fish without a license while we hung out.

But, hell, give me a couple of weeks to brush up on local edibles and I might give it a go just to see what happens on plantlife alone. It'd cut my food budget for a short while even if I fail miserably, but I also don't want to just go out and accidentally poison myself. Especially considering most of the freshwater sources out here were poisoned by runoff some thirty years ago or so.

No promises and I'm not toxxing, but it sounds like an illuminating challenge.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Especially when they can still tweet or post on Facebook or whatever about it.

Don't forget that in the US, most of them will have access to firearms as well. They will run out of food before they run out of bullets.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Zodium posted:

:shepface:

is this idealism's final form

Go on ...

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

mcbexx posted:

Don't forget that in the US, most of them will have access to firearms as well. They will run out of food before they run out of bullets.

Sounds like we're headed for a shootin' solution
wavin our guns in the air like we just don't care

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/LeftistWonk/status/1468806429855424514

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I bet a single sniper bullet would gently caress up one of those rockets

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

In hindsight we're all going to look at all our spacecraft we squandered so much resources on as the single biggest act of hubris of our species' entire history. If there had wound up being aliens to enslave and rape we would have been just fine but you win some, you lose some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

petit choux posted:

In hindsight we're all going to look at all our spacecraft we squandered so much resources on as the single biggest act of hubris of our species' entire history. If there had wound up being aliens to enslave and rape we would have been just fine but you win some, you lose some.

https://twitter.com/incom2/status/1468935672731996162