Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

From the Graun:

This seems a bit weird to me. How could they not culture bacteria from the tissue samples? Were they drunk when taking the samples? Did they accidentally sample a nearby cow?

TB is loving hard to culture, it's very slow growing. And it forms these little cyst-type things in your lungs where it lies dormant for years/decades, so trying to wake it back up again to culture isn't going to be very straightforward. And if your swab/sampling isn't very consistent, well, it takes 3 months to find out and whoops nobody's keeping a body around that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

TB is loving hard to culture, it's very slow growing. And it forms these little cyst-type things in your lungs where it lies dormant for years/decades, so trying to wake it back up again to culture isn't going to be very straightforward. And if your swab/sampling isn't very consistent, well, it takes 3 months to find out and whoops nobody's keeping a body around that long.

So doesn't that imply that if it's dormant then Geronimo could have just taken the cure regimen rather than getting merked?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We needed Matt Housecock MP to dramatically arrive and suggest making the llama immunocompromised to get the sample.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Tesseraction posted:

Little black bag over his head.

Mr Starmer is very upset.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

So doesn't that imply that if it's dormant then Geronimo could have just taken the cure regimen rather than getting merked?

I don't think there was any accusation that he had an active infection. But animal disease control isn't like human - we care about the health of the herd, not the individual. So in the case of a dormant infection you don't know when its going to suddenly become un-dormant, so hippity hoppity, lets get choppity.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

But wasn't he a lone alpaca? I thought he was just like a pet.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
eyup crafteh wank

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

But wasn't he a lone alpaca? I thought he was just like a pet.

He was on an alpaca farm. He'd been in quarantine the whole time I think, but still a health risk to the rest of the herd.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/hepcatsector/status/1469236185243394064

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Starmer would struggle with the trolley problem even if there was a third rail that didn't kill anybody

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Convex posted:

Starmer would struggle with the trolley problem even if there was a third rail that didn't kill anybody

the third rail would make labour electable

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jesus christ they are so loving pathetic.

https://twitter.com/cwtchcaerdydd/status/1468977282693873673

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol you just know theyve been told to reign it in because they had a massive Xmas knees up at Labour HQ and Kieth is terrified of the fact he was found with his trousers down in a pool of vomit getting out

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1469270057700241416

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm starting to get the impression that Cummy's upset he missed out on the party.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do not believe cummings would ever want to attend a party.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol you think that's bad? Starmer was asked "Do you think Johnson should resign?" and the first time around his answer of "He's unfit for office, and because he's unfit for office he won't resign" is a good soundbite,

but then the interviewer asks "but my question was do YOU think he should resign?" and Starmer then enters a loop about 5 times just saying "He's unfit for office, and because he's unfit for office he won't resign."

JUST SAY YES YOU STRANGE loving BELLEND. YOU GOT YOUR SOUNDBITE NOW JUST SAY YES

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Strom Cuzewon posted:

animal disease control isn't like human - we care about the health of the herd, not the individual

so... pretty much exactly like humans then

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It really is so loving tiring that politics is just filled with assholes who have people think up "cool" lines for them and then immediately run them into the ground.

And worse, that there is a loving pile of hooting morons who absolutely lose their poo poo about how amazing they are.

You should get bullied out of the room if you do that, not given high office.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
ain't no party like a wet-egg pardaaaay heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey hooooooooooooooooooooo

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

It really is so loving tiring that politics is just filled with assholes who have people think up "cool" lines for them and then immediately run them into the ground.

And worse, that there is a loving pile of hooting morons who absolutely lose their poo poo about how amazing they are.

You should get bullied out of the room if you do that, not given high office.

Who could forget this timeless classic of the genre?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlTggc0uBA8

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
keith has to watch his tongue because the papers have a picture of him in a bath of wet eggs

doing an O face

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Starmer hates alpacas, hates (Peppa) pigs, what adorable mammal will he declare jihad on next?

I’m betting hedgehogs, he’ll come out in favour of culling hedgehogs again

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i bet it'll turn out the alpaca was at the downing street party

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tesseraction posted:

lol you think that's bad? Starmer was asked "Do you think Johnson should resign?" and the first time around his answer of "He's unfit for office, and because he's unfit for office he won't resign" is a good soundbite,

but then the interviewer asks "but my question was do YOU think he should resign?" and Starmer then enters a loop about 5 times just saying "He's unfit for office, and because he's unfit for office he won't resign."

JUST SAY YES YOU STRANGE loving BELLEND. YOU GOT YOUR SOUNDBITE NOW JUST SAY YES

The only possible reason for him not coming straight out with a clear 'Yes' is that either himself (probably not) or someone he has just put in Shadow Cabinet was at the party and he knows the journos know.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

This is incredible, the opposition going to insane lengths to avoid saying the Prime Minister should go

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
their focus group on whether Boris should go hasn't delivered its results yet

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i bet it'll turn out the alpaca was at the downing street party

Cameron hosed a pigs mouth, therefore Johnson had to find a way to outdo him.

Probably for the best that the animal was subsequently destroyed

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Absolutely raging at the murder of my cousin.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Julio Cruz posted:

their focus group on whether Boris should go hasn't delivered its results yet

This genuinely might come from a focus group. They ran one not long after Starmer took over that found out 'people' don't like politicians calling on other politicians to resign.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 10, 2021

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Isn’t that standard advice given to anyone (e.g football managers) dealing with a hostile press? They are not asking the same question you just answered as part of a normal human conversation. They are trying to get a quote of you saying some words that don’t contradict the headline they are going to run with. And they’ll keep asking until it becomes clear you won’t cooperate.

Corbyn need got caught by that several times; it’s a key part of the explanation for why a substantial part of the electorate came to believe obvious nonsense about him. He’d keep trying to explain his point to journalists as if they were human beings. And then one of those 5 explanations would lack a qualifier in the right spot, and bang there’s your headline.

Apparently, the ‘fix’ to that is to good friends with the journalists asking the questions, so you talk naturally. And then trust them work to pick the best, not the worst, version of what you say.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Sturgeon cribbing from Barry Foster.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'm not sure why Barry had to leave exactly. I guess it's difficult to strike an effective balance of doomerism and chocolate orange humour.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
These strikes are wrong at a time when negotiations are still ongoing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

radmonger posted:

Isn’t that standard advice given to anyone (e.g football managers) dealing with a hostile press? They are not asking the same question you just answered as part of a normal human conversation. They are trying to get a quote of you saying some words that don’t contradict the headline they are going to run with. And they’ll keep asking until it becomes clear you won’t cooperate.

Corbyn need got caught by that several times; it’s a key part of the explanation for why a substantial part of the electorate came to believe obvious nonsense about him. He’d keep trying to explain his point to journalists as if they were human beings. And then one of those 5 explanations would lack a qualifier in the right spot, and bang there’s your headline.

Apparently, the ‘fix’ to that is to good friends with the journalists asking the questions, so you talk naturally. And then trust them work to pick the best, not the worst, version of what you say.

It's true that journalists are often trying to lead you into a mistake, but in this case unless Jaeluni's hypothetical is true, you can say anything negative about Johnson and the public will side with you.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Convex posted:

I'm not sure why Barry had to leave exactly. I guess it's difficult to strike an effective balance of doomerism and chocolate orange humour.

read a climate change thread or something to fully shatter your mind into pieces so that you can confront any piece of political news with a shrug and maybe a lol or two

cast off your fears and worries friends, all is dust

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Smash my mind into pieces, IPCC report.

Tesseraction posted:

It's true that journalists are often trying to lead you into a mistake
The journalist Boris Johnson led the politician Boris Johnson into the mistake of being Boris Johnson.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TACD posted:

Starmer hates alpacas, hates (Peppa) pigs, what adorable mammal will he declare jihad on next?

I’m betting hedgehogs, he’ll come out in favour of culling hedgehogs again

Just in time for the Sonic movie sequel

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Funny that Barry attracted a bunch of mithering itt in part for using the term "tsunami" to describe the dangers of a new surge, and now Nicola Sturgeon just made a statement about a "potential tsunami". I guess doomerism must be the dominant ideology in Scotland, which kinda makes sense I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When did we stop calling them tidal waves anyway?