Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Alchemy is not MTG anymore but it will probably end up being better than Standard ever was. Historic always felt like a lovely non-solution to a problem WotC created themselves so nothing much has changed there for me.

That being said, Limited is and will always be the best way to play Magic. All constructed formats have been hosed over by Modern Horizons 1/2, FIRE design and Commander plants in every set. Draft more and/or build a cube.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

yeah I didn't mind when they experimented with some cards, and even then some of them were kind of annoying.

It turns out that even though the game automatically tracks these perpetual changes, they're very hard to keep track of strategically. Like OK, my opponent seeks an elf, but doesn't reveal it to me. now I have to kind of remember that they have an elf in hand, whereas in paper, they'd have to reveal the card. or if they perpetually give haste to a card in their hand, they don't have to reveal it, so now I just have to remember that they have a hasted creature somewhere in their deck for the rest of the game.

a lot of the cards also have a million billion words. there's no way I'm reading some of those.

all in all, I wouldn't mind digital only cards if they were careful with them and used them sparingly. what really kills it for me is the fact that they'll be nerfing existing paper cards (and not giving you anything in return). this just makes it not magic for me, but something different.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

foreverially alchemized and loving it

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
So has anyone actually played the alchemy yet? I completed the event and literally only saw one alchemy card. I guess people are getting their packs before crafting.

I kinda want to craft a dragons deck but I need 17 rare wild cards and I have a feeling it will just get nerfed.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Katana Gomai posted:

Alchemy is not MTG anymore but it will probably end up being better than Standard ever was. Historic always felt like a lovely non-solution to a problem WotC created themselves so nothing much has changed there for me.

That being said, Limited is and will always be the best way to play Magic. All constructed formats have been hosed over by Modern Horizons 1/2, FIRE design and Commander plants in every set. Draft more and/or build a cube.

Modern is good actually

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I played an Omnath deck and it was fun but a little durdly if you don't draw your Landfall engines.

I crafted the Chandra Dragon deck and it's super funny casting a Goldspan for RR. Also Ponza Dragon is gross.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

Personally I think the digital-only cards added in Historic Horizons like the merfolk that changes an Island into a Tropical Island were ok, but this new batch of what, 60 cards is mostly obnoxious
Yeah, the much more restrained proof of concept set was a lot better than this current attempt. I've posted it a few times but these "draft from the spellbook" cards are ab-so-lute-ly loving awful to play with and against. It's like some Xzibit "variance in your variance" while also adding a whole bunch of cards to memorize, except they're not cards I would ever play with or against before and AHHHH I HATE IT!

Also, why are there so many? Also Also why introduce them into Historic? Brawl? The point of these larger pool formats is that it takes a different class of card to break through so while Epiffany is busted in standard it's not really all that great in historic where I can actually aggro you out, or kill you with a differnt combo which isn't possible in standard.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Modern is good actually

It is, but I think overall MH1/2 were a net minus. I think every deck being a collection of the best MH cards is bad.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Stuff like force of vigor and yavimaya seem pretty cool but yeah MH really changed everything

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

It is kind of impressive that they managed to make a format that rotates faster than limited, if we're looking at monthly rebalancings. its like they went "what's the opposite of an eternal format". I guess the opposite of an eternal format would be phantom draft, where you don't even get to keep the cards you play it with, but there's a cap on how much they can charge for that because you don't get any cards. What if you keep the cards, but can only play them for a month!

Alchemy cards should be like, an entire playset for a wildcard

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

A Moose posted:

It is kind of impressive that they managed to make a format that rotates faster than limited, if we're looking at monthly rebalancings. its like they went "what's the opposite of an eternal format". I guess the opposite of an eternal format would be phantom draft, where you don't even get to keep the cards you play it with, but there's a cap on how much they can charge for that because you don't get any cards. What if you keep the cards, but can only play them for a month!

Alchemy cards should be like, an entire playset for a wildcard

I think if you played Standard for the last what, two years? You'd probably appreciate Alchemy.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Eej posted:

I think if you played Standard for the last what, two years? You'd probably appreciate Alchemy.

I've played Standard for the last two years. Alchemy is not at all interesting to me and it affecting other formats is impressively dumb.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Format gets injected with high variance RNG cards, CHANGES! Many Such Cases

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Wasn't pioneer supposed to be constant banlist fuckery at the start?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ilmucche posted:

The idea was constant banlist fuckery until it got into a good place, then it would settle down.

Unfortunately they broke the format right after they said "alright time to settle it down" and then just left it broken for way too long.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Before they put Pioneer into Arena, they should relaunch it the same way. Unban everything but fetches and recalibrate.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

This is a factually correct statement.

Here's an excerpt from the latest Hasbro earnings report:

Yeah i think its pretty clear that the casual market loves what theyre doing, there aint no stopping this train we're on

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

what I'm scared of is what's going to happen to the game when it stops growing

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kalel posted:

Reserved list: Axed.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

kalel posted:

when they're out of other options for maintaining 30% YoY growth, you will finally be able to buy $200 USeas direct from the manufacturer

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

kalel posted:

We'll all make a blood pact to move on to the DBZ card game

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Before Arena launched (back with Magic Duels, I laid out a checklist along these lines to a good Goon friend who is into Magic.

[x] WotC launches a Magic client that's glossy, unlike MTGO
[x] People love playing Magic without dealing with the worst of the Magic community. The worst of the Magic community likes not putting on pants.
[x] WotC loves the money without having to do the whole "deal with physical distribution" thing
[x] WotC makes a small change to physical magic due to digital Magic (banning Cauldron Familiar)
[x] WotC introduces digital cards and mechanics
[x] The established Magic community gets mad, WotC gets richer
[x] WotC introduces digital cards and mechanics into paper formats <---- WE ARE HERE
[ ] More and more digital-only Magic, creating a bigger and bigger bifurcation of digital Magic and paper Magic
[ ] WotC makes a fundamental change to the game to facilitate digital play (e.g., Hearthstone mana or somesuch)
[ ] EITHER
. [ ] Magic becomes dominated by a digital game, and without the fondness for paper, players migrate to other games built from the ground up, ruleswise, to be digital, and Magic digital withers.
. [ ] Digital makes absurd money, becomes de facto Magic, and WotC drops major formats for paper, and Magic becomes just Commander and specialty sets (in hindsight, Secret Lairs), and paper withers

I don't think Magic is doomed or dead, but Arena was always going to change the fundamental answers to the question "what is Magic: the Gathering?"

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 10, 2021

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I still think Runeterra is pretty good and the client is amazing

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Personally I don't mind people losing with Hearthstone cards so I can play Fixed Omnath and attack with 8 4/4 Vigilance Cats.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Modern is good actually

I'll take your word for it. It seems to be a healthy format as far as deck and archetype diversity goes, but it has basically become Modern Horizons block constructed feat. Lurrus and I am super not into that.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My biggest gripe are the spellbook drafting cards. I like to be able to read a card and immediately know what it does. But spellbook cards necessarily obfuscate the effect. Having to go two menus deep to look at 16 possible effects this ETB trigger may have is obnoxious and actively harmful to gameplay in a client that ropes you after taking 5 second on a decision.

It's absurd.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

To go back to the whole cube talk, I've always been interested in building a cube, but have literally no fuckin idea where to begin, what kinds of cards to include, etc. The thought of a pauper cube is twice as appealing, as it lets me get my cube on while also not being crazy expensive (in theory).

So I figure I'd ask if there is any good guides to making cubes, common draft archetype cards to include for each color, articles and guides like that that would help someone new to the whole process get their poo poo together.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Magic is a good physical card game, but can't really be a good digital game I guess. There's too many things that make Magic work that can't work in digital (infinite combos, priority, shortcutting, making 251 tokens, bluffing counterspells, calling judges, spending $3500 on a single deck, cheap "proxies", cheating/angle shooting) and all the stuff that make digital games fun can't work in paper. They really should rebrand Arena as a spinoff and call it something like "magic jr" and stop trying to make it replicate the physical game, which is what they're doing I think.

Aniodia posted:

To go back to the whole cube talk, I've always been interested in building a cube, but have literally no fuckin idea where to begin, what kinds of cards to include, etc. The thought of a pauper cube is twice as appealing, as it lets me get my cube on while also not being crazy expensive (in theory).

So I figure I'd ask if there is any good guides to making cubes, common draft archetype cards to include for each color, articles and guides like that that would help someone new to the whole process get their poo poo together.

I think I asked this exact thing in this thread the last thread a few months ago, I'll try to dig through my post history and see if I can find all the answers I got

A Moose fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 10, 2021

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

A Moose posted:

They really should rebrand Arena as a spinoff and call it something like "magic jr" and stop trying to make it replicate the physical game, which is what they're doing I think.
They're very explicitly not doing this. Unless I fell for something and should have said "Source your quotes" instead.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Aniodia posted:

If you want to start with a Pauper cube, there's the list I linked upthread which is community managed. Their discord has a whole channel dedicated to people talking about modifying the default list

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ilmucche posted:

Yeah, but they said that from the very start. You knew from day 1 buying anything for pioneer was a risky thing to be doing, with the explanation/promise that it was a brand new thing and that a 'let the players figure it out' approach would result in a better format than Wizards trying to craft a format of that size internally.

Here they're just doing the same re-balancing every DCG does, but as opposed to every other one they're not giving refunds for nerfs, not even on a 'trade nerf'd cards for wildcards' basis. Assuming the intent is for Alchemy to supersede Standard on Arena (an idea that appears to be uncontroversial), they're setting up a have their cake and eat it situation. Now, maybe if Alchemy takes off they will start giving refunds, but they haven't given any indication of that yet.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Aniodia posted:

I once built a peasant cube and we had a lot of fun playing it. it allows for much more splashy cards and effects while still being dirt cheap to build. btw peasant is commons and uncommons.

Here's a site where you can browse cubes that other people have built: https://cubecobra.com/search/category%3A%22Peasant%22/0. This is a nice example of a 360 peasant cube. I start off with 4 cards for each two-color pairing. put cards you like here and then using those cards, try and determine the general theme for each two-color pairing. For instance, I really like Crackling Drake and cards similar to it, so I might put an instant/sorcery theme for UR (it helps that that's the theme for those colors in most draft sets). then you can just copy and paste the lands from the cube I linked.

after that, you'll have about 55 cards for each color. if you look at your two-color pairings, you'll get a sense of what kind of cards each color wants. for instance, UR in my cube was control/spells, UB was control/reanimator, UG was flash/tempo, UW was flying aggro. so for blue, I put a lot of evasive and efficient threats, and also just your standard cantrips, counterspells and interaction that that might go in for controling decks.

the strategies for the other color pairs for my cube were: BW: aggro and disruption BR: aggro, RW: more aggro, GW: big creature midrange, GR: big creature midrange, GB: graveyard stuff. so from that I see I have to put more aggressive cards in white, red and black, midrange cards in green and red, tempo cards in green and blue, graveyard cards in black and green, control cards in blue, black and red.

that's like the most basic peasant cube, and it sort of builds itself if you just put in the best common/uncommon cards along the curve. I had some reanimation stuff planted in by seeding the deck with looting spells, reanimation spells and big uncommon fatties, which adds a fun twist

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Can we do digimin instead, that ones fun

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Or wait is there a new dbz card game, i only know about the one from the 90s that had no balance

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mandatory lesbian posted:

Or wait is there a new dbz card game, i only know about the one from the 90s that had no balance

That was the one I meant but apparently there is a new DB card game that still releases sets

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The DBS card game and Digimon game are pretty hard to get into immediately because of the weird collector market right now though, right? I thought I saw that there was a DBS box from like, last year going for quadruple digits.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

oh and about the cube: I got the most common sleeves that are cheap (at the type it was ultra pro normal sleeves) and put the cards in those sleeves. then I got around 50 of each basic land, and put those in the same sleeves too. then when you draft, you just shuffle up the nonlands, divide them into packs, draft them and then add lands from the land station. that way, you don't have to do any sleeving up. once you determine a winner, they get to draw something on a basic land from the cube or sign their name or something.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

Can we do digimin instead, that ones fun

the one on PSX?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

GonSmithe posted:

The DBS card game and Digimon game are pretty hard to get into immediately because of the weird collector market right now though, right? I thought I saw that there was a DBS box from like, last year going for quadruple digits.

do you need to have boxes from last year? sets coming out this year are like ~$60 or something. haven't played it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

The starter decks for digimon are only 10 bucks, i only ever play these games casually so i have no clue what the meta is like or how much it costs