Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

I could be wrong but I think coffee needs pure N2 and not beer gas mixture otherwise it tastes off?

You could be right, I haven't looked at it in a while. It was going to be too much of a hassle for me, and I never got around to setting up a second system for nitro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

I could be wrong but I think coffee needs pure N2 and not beer gas mixture otherwise it tastes off?

Yes this is what I've read. I am reading about converting a tap, I see kits etc, that sounds like a next summer project.

According to shipping, our kegerator will be here next week, so that gives me plenty of time to get it set up and hidden behind a wrapped box, though I will resist actually tapping anything until Christmas, I think -- torn on that, because I'd like to make sure everything works ASAP, on the other hand I have a 30 day return, and having a chilled sixer and charged co2 tank sitting in there ready to go, but actually tapping it when my spouse "opens" it, sounds fun.

Trying to get a sixer of this stuff as first beer: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9784/224262/

It's great. Delicious and dangerously mild for an 8%er. Was 2020/2021 season Official Ski Beer for me. Probably back to Lawson's Sip of Sunshine for that this year.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

After talking about it on and off for years, I got a small dual kegerator for my spouse and I for christmas, it is this one:

https://www.edgestar.com/kc2000twin-edgestar-full-size-dual-tap-kegerator-and-keg-beer-cooler/KC2000TWIN.html

I realize this is on the lower end, pricewise, and I also know these things are touchy as gently caress because I worked in an office that had a couple of them, but I am guessing 2 adults in their late 30s/40s might be gentler on one than an office of 250 20-somethings. Also I use an EdgeStar medical freezer to keep ethanol at -30C for chemistry work and it's been a solid little workhorse for years.

I don't really expect to save money this way; the fancy kinds of beer we get are, at most, maybe 25% cheaper in 1/6 kegs (and I expect to want to have 2x1/6 on hand, rather than one larger one). I also expect we'll supplement with sixpacks for variety.

I am posting this because I would like to know, who else has home kegerators, what are your drinking habits like, and what else should I have known before spending money now that it's too late?

Also, is cleaning the lines every 2 weeks sufficient, and how long do you invest in that generally.

- Don’t tell your friends. They’ll drink it all and you end up paying $10/pint. Your real good friends will offer to throw down $5-10 per visit for all you can drink.
- Replace the beer lines with 10-footers, assuming they came with 5. This will reduce foaming. Be aware that it is kind of a pain to re-attach them in the tower.
- Insulate your tower with foam if it isn’t already. This will also help reduce foamy pours.
- Refrigerate (best) or freeze (if you don’t have fridge room to spare) your glasses. Also reduces foam.
- Buy a second CO2 tank for backup. Nothing is worse than having beers with friends and your CO2 goes dry at 7pm on Saturday when nowhere is open.
- When I first got mine, i min/maxed the CO2 PSI and temp based on what the brewery would recommend. I emailed every single brewery when I got a new keg and kept a spreadsheet. Waste of time. I just run everything at 9-10 PSI and 36’ now. Whatever.
- I clean my lines every time I change the keg, not on a time scale
- Get a pressure pot for cleaning. You just hook them up to your keg couplers and it uses the CO2 to push the solution. Much easier than the ones where you take the faucets off and hold up on the air for a couple minutes.

My drinking habits increased a bit just because it’s always readily available. But that said, I probably pay less per beer than slamming $21 4-packs all the time. On nights I want to have a few beers, I’ll open with a can or two of the good stuff, then switch over to cheaper keg stuff after.

The real good stuff hardly ever gets kegged, it’s mostly low to mid-tier stuff at BevMo, which is where I get most of my kegs. Some breweries will happily sell kegs to the public, and others won’t. Completely depends on the brewery.

March/April 2020 was awesome for getting kegs because ALL of the breweries needed to dump stock. I got so many top-tier beers on tap in those first few months. I think my record was killing an incredible double hazy keg from a local brewery in like 9 days between my wife and I. That was definitely an outlier.

Now I usually keep a 7.5gal pacifico/modelo on one tap, and a tasty IPA on the other. It helps to have different styles if you have people over, or if you just prefer to have a light and heavier beer.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 2, 2021

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

- Don’t tell your friends. They’ll drink it all and you end up paying $10/pint. Your real good friends will offer to throw down $5-10 per visit for all you can drink.
- Replace the beer lines with 10-footers, assuming they came with 5. This will reduce foaming. Be aware that it is kind of a pain to re-attach them in the tower.
- Insulate your tower with foam if it isn’t already. This will also help reduce foamy pours.
- Refrigerate (best) or freeze (if you don’t have fridge room to spare) your glasses. Also reduces foam.
- Buy a second CO2 tank for backup. Nothing is worse than having beers with friends and your CO2 goes dry at 7pm on Saturday when nowhere is open.
- When I first got mine, i min/maxed the CO2 PSI and temp based on what the brewery would recommend. I emailed every single brewery when I got a new keg and kept a spreadsheet. Waste of time. I just run everything at 9-10 PSI and 36’ now. Whatever.
- I clean my lines every time I change the keg, not on a time scale
- Get a pressure pot for cleaning. You just hook them up to your keg couplers and it uses the CO2 to push the solution. Much easier than the ones where you take the faucets off and hold up on the air for a couple minutes.

My drinking habits increased a bit just because it’s always readily available. But that said, I probably pay less per beer than slamming $21 4-packs all the time. On nights I want to have a few beers, I’ll open with a can or two of the good stuff, then switch over to cheaper keg stuff after.

The real good stuff hardly ever gets kegged, it’s mostly low to mid-tier stuff at BevMo, which is where I get most of my kegs. Some breweries will happily sell kegs to the public, and others won’t. Completely depends on the brewery.

March/April 2020 was awesome for getting kegs because ALL of the breweries needed to dump stock. I got so many top-tier beers on tap in those first few months. I think my record was killing an incredible double hazy keg from a local brewery in like 9 days between my wife and I. That was definitely an outlier.

Now I usually keep a 7.5gal pacifico/modelo on one tap, and a tasty IPA on the other. It helps to have different styles if you have people over, or if you just prefer to have a light and heavier beer.

A bunch of good points. I'm also team keg. I have 2 kegerators. One in my garage with the faucet on the exterior of my garage to my deck so I can easily pour myself a Genny Light without having to go inside. Then I have a two tap tower at the bottom of my basement steps. As I just mentioned, the outdoor kegererator is simply for stupid cheap light beers. The one in the basement I usually always keep a lager on and either an IPA or a stout (1/6 or 1/4, can fit 2 of either). This gives good enough variety for people who dont necessaily know what you want and you also wont get tired of drinking the same beer every night.

Maintenance-wise, I recommend making or buying a tower cooler. Its a fan that you leave in main cavity of your kegerator connected to a hose that you run up into the beer tower. This will reduce the amount of foam you get on your first pour by actively cooling the tower. The leading cause of foam once a keg is balanced properly is when beer experiences quick temperature changes, by that I mean going from a cold surface to a room temp surface. If your tower is not actively cooled, it's essentially slightly below room temp and the length of hose in that tower is also near room temp. Once you open the faucet, cold beer will rush through that relatively warm tube and instantly foam until the convection flow cools it down enough.

That brings me to how to tap and pour a new keg. I dont know how others do it but when i tap one, I turn off my CO2 valve to that coupler and just use the keg's internal pressure until it can longer pour (1, maybe 2 pints?). I then wait a bit while I drink that beer and pull the pressure relief valve to release any extra CO2 that's been made. At this point I turn the CO2 valve on so I know the keg is at the pressure I want.

I also have ball lock adapters for my sankey couplers because I occasionally homebrew and it makes cleaning the lines so much easier. This is by no means a must have, purely for convenience.

Personal preference but I'd say get a drip tray where you can actually see the beer in the tray. I found the ones with covers, i'd end up forgetting to clean out out at the end of the night or party and then it gets nasty.

Oh, look at the underside of your faucets. You'll see a tiny hole about 3/4 of the way of the neck. This hole should remain clear and is important for getting good beer flow out of the faucet. Over time beer will dry up in there and plug them up, especially if you dip your faucet into the beer while pouring (dont do this, ya dont have a LUKR!).

But LOL at real (good) friends offering $5 or $10 a visit. If one of my friends offered me money to come drink at my house, with our without a keg, I'd be insulted.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Picked up a mystery case from my local bottle shop and cracked one of of Erdinger Oktoberfest beers and I like it a lot.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

someday I hope to have company to impress again :laugh: :smith:
Now you have the :drugnerd: in me coming out because I know that homebrew kegs are a thing and also that nitro iced coffee is loving amazing, and while I am sure I can find someplace to buy kegs of nitro coffee, if there is a way to make such a thing myself, the markup on all coffee products that aren't beans is absolutely nutty. Also, I drink as much or more coffee as beer by volume. Probably more.

It's actually sort of interesting that you bring this up! I just happened to look at the "Cold N/A" section of the inventory spreadsheet of a distributor we use at work recently, and it turns out we can get a sixtel of nitro cold brew from Stumptown for only $124, much cheaper than I expected. TBH if I had the opportunity to put a nitro keg of coffee in my house, I probably would not also want to make it myself.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
My plan right now is to get two sixtels, crack one of them in a week or so and ensure everything is working fine on the system, then keep the other (better) one uncracked for Christmas morning.

prayer group posted:

It's actually sort of interesting that you bring this up! I just happened to look at the "Cold N/A" section of the inventory spreadsheet of a distributor we use at work recently, and it turns out we can get a sixtel of nitro cold brew from Stumptown for only $124, much cheaper than I expected. TBH if I had the opportunity to put a nitro keg of coffee in my house, I probably would not also want to make it myself.

If we use this keg as much as I hope, getting a seperate prebuilt nitro single tap keg down the line seems fine :laugh:

I am getting sort of excited about this, UPS brought the unit yesterday. Of course they delivered it upside down, so I have righted it and am letting it sit the 24hrs plus that an inverted fridge should sit.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Weirdly most of my friends don't drink and the ones that do will probably throw me a few bucks unprompted, and I'll say "nah your money is no good here, BUT IF YOU HAVE ANY FROZEN CHICKENS those are gold". Plus, I give away like 8-16oz of weed a year; giving away intoxicants to friends within reason is kinda my thing, granted that the weed is self-produced and the beer isn't. The rest of your advice is great. Also, I am 40 and a lot of the people I know here are 50+ and we're all rural parents deeply invested in our local cooperative preschool and poo poo, so it's not much of a "mooch" crowd though I am sure there's one at every picnic :)

quote:

I made sure that at least some decent percentage of the stuff we like to drink, is reasonably available. Locally, Zero Gravity is easy to get, especially Cone Head. Madonna, which is my favorite of theirs, is harder but I made a couple calls and it seems like I may have a sixtel before Christmas.

Lawson's is probably my favorite local; they seem veeeeery spotty on kegs but I do also live right next to the actual production facility and showroom etc so I am going to harass them once I am sure the device is all setup.

Alchemist beers on tap are a thing you need to be a bar to order. I do have at least a friend as well as an acquaintance in that situation, though I suspect if they can get Alchemist sixtels they are very happy to just sell it all at $10/pint or whatever. I have no real plans of trying to do this, but, if COVID ever opens up enough that I am slurring to my favorite barmen again, perhaps I will ask!

atothesquiz posted:

That brings me to how to tap and pour a new keg. I dont know how others do it but when i tap one, I turn off my CO2 valve to that coupler and just use the keg's internal pressure until it can longer pour (1, maybe 2 pints?). I then wait a bit while I drink that beer and pull the pressure relief valve to release any extra CO2 that's been made. At this point I turn the CO2 valve on so I know the keg is at the pressure I want.
All good information but thanks for this especially.

quote:

But LOL at real (good) friends offering $5 or $10 a visit. If one of my friends offered me money to come drink at my house, with our without a keg, I'd be insulted.

Yeah, I am deeply into the barter economy at this point. I haven't charged anyone for anything in ages, but I've swapped maple syrup for a frozen chicken, I give away an assload of extra weed, and most recently I traded ~4g of weed oil for a CODE/WASD branded TKL mechanical keyboard :laugh:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Yeah. 13% percent stouts don’t belong in 16oz cans.

They belong in 750ml bottles

posting a very late reply because the UK is completely insane and you can now regularly get pastry stout 12% 440ml cans in supermarkets from good breweries. As a culture we are not equipped for this given the attitude to drinking here is a bit all gas no brakes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A bar that the Mrs and I frequent very occasionally has Dogfish Head 120 minute on tap. Last time they had it in, MrsYenko ordered what is normally a ~6oz pour in a stemmed taster glass.

I don’t know if the bartender really likes us, or just wasn’t paying attention, because she pulled a full pint of a 15%+ IPA. Must’ve been a $20 glass of beer.

Love that bar. :v:

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

MrYenko posted:

A bar that the Mrs and I frequent very occasionally has Dogfish Head 120 minute on tap. Last time they had it in, MrsYenko ordered what is normally a ~6oz pour in a stemmed taster glass.

I don’t know if the bartender really likes us, or just wasn’t paying attention, because she pulled a full pint of a 15%+ IPA. Must’ve been a $20 glass of beer.

Love that bar. :v:

That's awesome, I've never had 120 on tap but I'd love to try it. Not sure about a whole pint though. I've got some ~4 year old bottles sitting in my liquor cabinet, maybe I'll pop one in the fridge for this weekend.

My favorite bar that was walk/bike distance from my old house always kept Delirium Tremens on tap. Their snifter glasses were always getting broken or stolen so more often than not they would just serve me a pint. My usual MO would be drink PBR all night and then order up a DT at the end of the night. Then I'd wonder why I don't remember closing my tab, getting home, or anything else after that.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
The big outdoor beer garden near my old apartment used to have litres of Three Philosphers for $7 during happy hour

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Final Blog Entry posted:

That's awesome, I've never had 120 on tap but I'd love to try it. Not sure about a whole pint though. I've got some ~4 year old bottles sitting in my liquor cabinet, maybe I'll pop one in the fridge for this weekend.

My favorite bar that was walk/bike distance from my old house always kept Delirium Tremens on tap. Their snifter glasses were always getting broken or stolen so more often than not they would just serve me a pint. My usual MO would be drink PBR all night and then order up a DT at the end of the night. Then I'd wonder why I don't remember closing my tab, getting home, or anything else after that.

I uh don’t think 120 ages that well does it?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Toebone posted:

The big outdoor beer garden near my old apartment used to have litres of Three Philosphers for $7 during happy hour

gently caress, that hour would be pretty goddamn happy.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Honestly it's only drinkable after 5 years.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Dogfish certainly thinks so

This picture is from a few years ago and I can't recall the specifics, but I think the one on the left was about 3 years old and the one on the right was fresh. Definitely changes the beer and mellows it out nicely, but I do enjoy it fresh as well.

Final Blog Entry fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 11, 2021

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
LOL beers will turn dark brown when they're heavily oxidized.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I stand corrected. I guess I’ve been poisoned by too many NEIPAs that go nasty if you don’t drink them within 45 minutes of canning.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Josh Wow posted:

LOL beers will turn dark brown when they're heavily oxidized.

:chloe:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

haven't had a beer in a while, picked up a new sour, made in partnership with local public television :dafuq:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Had an amazing Belgian dubbel last night I’m so sad New England ipas and not Belgians took off I’ve not had a Belgian style beer I’ve not liked.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Narragansett's holiday ale is really nice. Like a boozeier Sam Adams Winter.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

LionYeti posted:

Had an amazing Belgian dubbel last night I’m so sad New England ipas and not Belgians took off I’ve not had a Belgian style beer I’ve not liked.

You will if they get popular.

It’s the same problem with IPAs. They’re a great style, but there are too many people making them poorly.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

LionYeti posted:

My guts would have dissolved years ago if this had been the case.

There are some reliable options out there though - something to be said for counting on what you're going to be able to get, without having to examine which funny logo artwork is what variant of what brewery's NEIPA when browsing the store.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I wish low abv saisons and Belgian pale ales were popular/easy to find because Ive almost bought out the entire stock of Jolly Pumpkin Bam Bier at the total wine by my house and there's nothing else like it in the area.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Anyone have any experience with shipping a 6pack from Canada to the US lately? Really would like to get an Xmas present for a friend and have a buddy in Ontario but I don't want to get him in any trouble.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hell yeah

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So if anyone is in or around Dallas, specifically across the River in Trinity Groves, you owe it to yourself to hit this place up:

Holy poo poo their beer is so godamned good.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The theme is cool tool

Looking forward to glow in the dark cans

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Ommegang's rye barrel vanilla stout is really good.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

Holy poo poo their beer is so godamned good.

The beer is good, and they have a pretty nice facility too. I stopped in right before the pandemic but only did pickup once during, I was the only person other than the staff wearing a mask so I just hit a bottle shop if I want their stuff now.

Peticolas and Celestial are my normal pickup spots if I'm gonna drive in that direction. I'm hoping Community can sort out their permit issues with the city and reopen soon too.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

actionjackson posted:

haven't had a beer in a while, picked up a new sour, made in partnership with local public television :dafuq:

Oh man, I need to get out and buy some of those. Apart from maybe Drekker, my favorite sours have all come from Modist or Blackstack.

How would you put them on the tart/acidic —-> sweet scale.

And did you try the mangoschino smoothie sour from Modist? I LOVED that one.

Last twin cities note, but Pryes Raspberry sour on nitro is pretty drat good. I stop in there to undo whatever good my workout at Minneapolis bouldering project does…

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Thanks to everyone's advice! This worked out real well, and I sent my mom home with a growler of local Madonna IPA.

I took the advice about PSI from the thread to heart and set to 9.5, ignoring the device manual telling me to set it to 12 or something, and we've been getting decent pours with not too much head right off the bat.

Someone recommended longer lines to reduce foam, but, I am wondering -- what's the upward limit, can I have, like, twenty foot long tap lines coming out of this? If so, then I could conceivably leave the unit in the basement but run the lines directly into the kitchen and mount the tower into the kitchen countertop, which would be pretty sweet.

Also, if anyone else cares, TCC is having a thread about how alcohol is the worlds shittiest drug and it's very :allears: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3988711

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Thanks to everyone's advice! This worked out real well, and I sent my mom home with a growler of local Madonna IPA.

I took the advice about PSI from the thread to heart and set to 9.5, ignoring the device manual telling me to set it to 12 or something, and we've been getting decent pours with not too much head right off the bat.

Someone recommended longer lines to reduce foam, but, I am wondering -- what's the upward limit, can I have, like, twenty foot long tap lines coming out of this? If so, then I could conceivably leave the unit in the basement but run the lines directly into the kitchen and mount the tower into the kitchen countertop, which would be pretty sweet.

Also, if anyone else cares, TCC is having a thread about how alcohol is the worlds shittiest drug and it's very :allears: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3988711

http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/ Here's the math and a calculator for what you're asking. You'll just want to change your pressure to account for the friction of the lines and the gravity of the run. You also will want to figure out a way to keep the inside of that run cold enough. There's solutions from fans to glycol chilling lines.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Nice setup! I love that you got the appropriate tap handles.

I’m not an expert but I feel like 20 foot lines running straight up might be an issue? You’d also have the problem of the lines and tower not being cold.

E:FB by a much better explanation

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Hello I heard this thread exists and I found it, hello GWS Beer Thread!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
ok

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

We do post about drinking beer from time to time.

As a fellow Michigander you should be consuming mass quantities of Hopslam at this point of the year.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nothing to post here, since I just drink The Kind every night now

edit: poo poo I mean, every weekend :shobon:

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 14, 2022

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

We do post about drinking beer from time to time.

As a fellow Michigander you should be consuming mass quantities of Hopslam at this point of the year.

I had some 2020 Hopslam last night because we're buying a case tonight :haibrow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

bagmonkey posted:

I had some 2020 Hopslam last night because we're buying a case tonight :haibrow:

:hmmyes:

I already bought a case worth but apparently Costco has it for $57.99/case so I will likely be buying another case tonight....

How did 2 year old Hopslam taste? Last time I bought too much I let some age and found after 8 months it really starts to drop off.