Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Remulak posted:

I’m so goddamn happy every time this comes up, because the dumb piece of poo poo enabler Michael Kelly (Hank Azaria in the movie) was a worthless piece of poo poo with rich connected parents. He both hosed and hosed over underaged interns (not publicly reported, God I hate that guy). After Glass he kept falling upwards and cheer-leaded the second Iraq war as the editor of another ‘liberal’ publication.

Google him, or read articles like the above he’s some kinda saint of reporting that defended poo poo-stupid lies, the ‘hacker’ article was so loving dumb: http://penenberg.com/story-archive/hack-heaven/ .

I’m so happy he died during the Iraq invasion, riding with his beloved invasion force by sticking his head out like an rear end in a top hat (correction, AS an rear end in a top hat).

Only article that comes even close to reality I’ve ever read about that worthless waste of cum https://www.gawker.com/5993525/a-stupid-death-in-a-stupid-war-remembering-michael-kelly .

I remembered irl he sucked but I forgot how stupidly he died. Drowning in a jeep in an illegal war he cheerleaded.

And yeah the Hack Heaven article is so clearly phony. It's amazing Glass was able to keep it up as long as he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's still extraordinarily safer than say, riding the bus, let alone god forbid a personal car or a motorcycle. Hell you're more likely to die as a pedestrian.

Yes, I know. I think the difference is the illusion of control and the necessity of taking that risk. I don't HAVE to fly to Hawaii for vacation, but I do need to get on some incredibly poorly designed freeways to drive to work (though I do know that for some people flying is a professional necessity as well). I live on a busy street in a city famous for its bad drivers, but I cross it every day and roll the dice on whether a distracted driver will blow a stoplight while I'm in the intersection.

quote:

What you don't quite mention is that the interface between the human pilot and the automation is key. The pilots need to understand the whats, whens, and hows of the plane's automation.

I agree, and maybe I glossed over the importance of this. I would still consider lacking knowledge of the systems of the aircraft you've spent hundreds of hours in pilot error, though. In no field would you be considered competent if you didn't thoroughly understand the tools of your trade. As mentioned by the poster below in reference to Boeing's monstrous behavior with the MAX, though, I understand that critical information is not always made available to pilots, either because of intentional omission or poor quality training.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The 737 MAX disasters kinda proved the quoted person wrong because the pilots reacted correctly to the malfunction the problem was the plane.

Though Boeing did know about the issue and essentially "wrote off" the deaths they estimated the issue would cause in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXMO0bhPhCw

One of the investigators of one of the crashes actually chokes up describing listening to the CVR the first time because he knew the pilots did exactly what they should've done and the plane still killed everyone.

Yeah, that occurred to me when thinking about the assertion that there hasn't been a major accident in a decade. I think the ratio of pilot error to automated system failure still favors automation, though. Though I'm sure there have been or will be other incidents in which mechanical or computer systems are to blame, the Boeing incident is egregious for a number of reasons that I really hope aren't common to other manufacturers or airlines.

Thanks for the Frontline link. That's going on my "plan to watch but never get around to it" list with a bunch of other interesting things I should check out instead of posting dumb opinions on the internet.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Switching gears, here's a recent article about a human head that was found buried in a garden that is both better and worse than you would probably expect.

edit: And another about a happy family with a dark secret that is definitely worse than I expected. The article's not great, but the wiki page was pretty sparse compared to similar stories.

BrianRx has a new favorite as of 22:30 on Dec 9, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BrianRx posted:

Switching gears, here's a recent article about a human head that was found buried in a garden that is both better and worse than you would probably expect.

It's true, I was not expecting anything about that even after seeing the headline.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What you don't quite mention is that the interface between the human pilot and the automation is key. The pilots need to understand the whats, whens, and hows of the plane's automation.
So it all comes down to training the pilots to understand the systems of the plane they are flying.
The San Francisco landing crash ASIANA 214 was widely reported (calibrate against racism, it's probably more complicated) to have a lot to do with (A) Korean pilots having come up under a very rigid social hierarchy that makes correcting a senior officer extremely difficult and (B) Asiana's forbidding pilots to take the plane off autopilot and practice flying manually.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The San Francisco landing crash ASIANA 214 was widely reported (calibrate against racism, it's probably more complicated) to have a lot to do with (A) Korean pilots having come up under a very rigid social hierarchy that makes correcting a senior officer extremely difficult and (B) Asiana's forbidding pilots to take the plane off autopilot and practice flying manually.

Malcolm Gladwell, who is a tremendous hack, is responsible for the ethnic theory of plane crashes. It has a lot of problems.

http://askakorean.blogspot.com/2013/07/culturalism-gladwell-and-airplane.html?m=1

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Malcolm Gladwell, who is a tremendous hack, is responsible for the ethnic theory of plane crashes. It has a lot of problems.

http://askakorean.blogspot.com/2013/07/culturalism-gladwell-and-airplane.html?m=1

This myth precedes him, but yeah he definitely enshrined it by, ah yes, deliberately cutting out black box dialogue that disproved his entire theory. He really should've spent another 9,999 hours on this one.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

This Gladwell quote is hilarious:

quote:

The single most important variable in determining whether a plane crashes is not the plane, it’s not the maintenance, it’s not the weather, it’s the culture the pilot comes from.

I'd have to go through them to be sure but off the top of my head most of the major crashes were caused by maintenance or some other problem outside the pilots' control.

The Bomber Mafia was utter poo poo - it must be nice to be a name author so you can just toss off a book with barely any research and be guaranteed a hefty payday and that the general public will eat it up.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Malcolm Gladwell is just a shittier Joe Rogan for elitists.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

BrianRx posted:

Switching gears, [url=“https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-12-07/human-skull-linked-to-grisly-guillotine-death-santa-rosa"]here's a recent article[/url] about a human head that was found buried in a garden that is both better and worse than you would probably expect.

An unusual case of suicide: Near decapitation by a modified table saw

A rare case of suicide committed by a modified table saw that resulted in near decapitation is presented. Previously reported cases of suicides by table saw are also reviewed.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Busket Posket posted:

An unusual case of suicide: Near decapitation by a modified table saw

A rare case of suicide committed by a modified table saw that resulted in near decapitation is presented. Previously reported cases of suicides by table saw are also reviewed.

Former goon Volume/Ride the Gravitron tried this like 10 years ago. Something Awful is always ahead of the curve.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Former goon Volume/Ride the Gravitron tried this like 10 years ago. Something Awful is always ahead of the curve.

Did they die?

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

nope, and I think they might have posted a picture of the scar at some point but I may be wrong

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

This myth precedes him, but yeah he definitely enshrined it by, ah yes, deliberately cutting out black box dialogue that disproved his entire theory. He really should've spent another 9,999 hours on this one.

Thank you.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

shelley posted:

nope, and I think they might have posted a picture of the scar at some point but I may be wrong

Oh, this is ringing some very faint bells for me. Off to the Saga thread.

edit: it was found! His neck healed up surprisingly well.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3670407&userid=135876

HelloIAmYourHeart has a new favorite as of 06:50 on Dec 11, 2021

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
This is almost wholesome, given the circumstances.

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

BrianRx posted:

That article raises many more questions than it answers, but I'm pretty sure that I don't actually want to know any of the answers.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

BrianRx posted:

This is almost wholesome, given the circumstances.

TorpedoFish posted:

That article raises many more questions than it answers, but I'm pretty sure that I don't actually want to know any of the answers.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

BrianRx posted:

edit: And another about a happy family with a dark secret that is definitely worse than I expected. The article's not great, but the wiki page was pretty sparse compared to similar stories.
It weirds me out that I can say that I had a friend who's uncle killed himself by homemade guillotine. I think that its this one because it fits with what he described to me.
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/7046627.horror-man-uses-guillotine-commit-suicide/

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
The New York Times just published a piece on the body count of a very pro-suicide online forum. The founders are the type of ultra-libertarians who buy into blackpill ideology and insist it’s not bad to cheer on a depressed 13-year-old who wants to die because something something personal freedoms.

I’m gonna go ahead and spoiler this quote, and please just go ahead and click over to the cute thread if you don’t feel like encountering that topic today.

Where the Despairing Log On, and Learn Ways to Die

Most suicide websites are about prevention. This one — started in March 2018 by two shadowy figures calling themselves Marquis and Serge — provides explicit directions on how to die.

The four young members were among tens of thousands around the world who have been pulled in. On the site’s public forums, in live chats and through private messaging, they discuss hanging, poison, guns and gas. Strangers seek out partners to meet face to face and kill themselves together.

Participants routinely nudge one another along as they share suicide plans, posting reassuring messages, thumbs-up and heart emojis, and praise for those who follow through: “brave,” “a legend,” “a hero.”

Though members are anonymous, The New York Times identified 45 who had killed themselves in the United States, the United Kingdom, Italy, Canada and Australia — and found that the trail of deaths is likely much longer.

More than 500 members — a rate of more than two a week — wrote “goodbye threads” announcing how and when they planned to end their lives, and then never posted again. In many of them, people narrated their attempts in real-time posts. Some described watching as other members live-streamed their deaths off the site.

Most of the narratives cited the same lethal method, a preservative used for curing meat, The Times found. By promoting the preservative as a poison, the site has helped give rise to a means of suicide that is alarming some coroners and doctors. Yet many public health and law enforcement officials are unaware of it.

[if reading the full article makes you even a bit curious about the nitrite/nitrate method, just know it’s horrifically painful and will feel like you’re both drowning and about to explode out of your skin. don’t do it.]

If you’re having a poo poo day and this made you feel a sort of way, go look at some Blesséd Pictures for a minute.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Busket Posket posted:

The New York Times just published a piece on the body count of a very pro-suicide online forum. The founders are the type of ultra-libertarians who buy into blackpill ideology and insist it’s not bad to cheer on a depressed 13-year-old who wants to die because something something personal freedoms.

So I just found out that a friend of a friend's parent was a member of that forum before they killed themselves. I was disgusted but now I'm just really loving angry.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
"You’ve reached your limit of free articles":negative:

As someone who has attempted suicide and thankfully lived to actually become somewhat happy this kind of topic spooks the poo poo out of me. All of those lost souls getting cheered on by blood thirsty little ghouls.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takahiro_Shiraishi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroshi_Maeue

Sarcopenia has a new favorite as of 22:15 on Dec 13, 2021

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Sarcopenia posted:

Try this to bypass paywalls: https://12ft.io/

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

cardinale posted:

Try this to bypass paywalls: https://12ft.io/
Thanks, but

quote:

12ft has been disabled for this site
:(

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

For the New York Times paywall, it's even simpler. Turn off Javascript! I just told Chrome to forbid Javascript at nytimes.com . Easy-peasy. It's buried in the options; go to chrome://settings and search for Javascript.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Sarcopenia posted:

As someone who has attempted suicide and thankfully lived to actually become somewhat happy this kind of topic spooks the poo poo out of me. All of those lost souls getting cheered on by blood thirsty little ghouls.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takahiro_Shiraishi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroshi_Maeue

Because you’re literally one of my favorite posters on this site, with a lot of insightful commentary and a willingness to call out anyone posting like it’s 2003 or they’re on Reddit, I went through and screenshotted the whole article to share. Remember, if you do read it, that your existence and the things you say have greatly improved some days of a random goon. A random goon who happily went through and carefully cropped 40+ screenshots so you could read something if you really wanted to, because you’re appreciated.

TW: discussion of suicide; description of methods; mention of some specific victims and a listing of ages/hometowns of several more https://imgur.com/a/Yk2uOz6

I’ve also attempted before, and dealing with chronic pain I’ve come around to the idea that there should be some limited rights as a cogent, rational person to choose peace, but the way the site treats anyone who has doubts or second thoughts — even young kids — causes a level of rage that, at least for me, overwhelmed any triggering content. They mock people for hesitating, and ban them if they spend too much time in the Support forum trying to get better.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Busket Posket posted:

if reading the full article makes you even a bit curious about the method, just know it’s horrifically painful and will feel like you’re both drowning and about to explode out of your skin. don’t do it.

Just wanted to say thanks for including this, the closest I've come to a Basilisk was reading about a specific method once and this kind of disclaimer helps take away the dread that I might try something at a low point. Idk if that makes any sense but thanks anyway.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Razors pain you,
Rivers are damp,
Acids stain you,
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful,
Nooses give,
Gas smells awful.
You might as well live.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Dorothy Parker :thumbsup:

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
I remember finding something like that online a long time ago. It was literally a catalogue of everyway you could possibly off yourself.

The most insane was nicotine poisoning. It require literally hundreds of cigarettes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Vasukhani posted:

I remember finding something like that online a long time ago. It was literally a catalogue of everyway you could possibly off yourself.

The most insane was nicotine poisoning. It require literally hundreds of cigarettes.

You can get nicotine as a liquid pesticide, you don't need to smoke it. One of those police procedurals had a guy who was murdered with a condom that had some liquid nicotine inside.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Vasukhani posted:

Suicide Methods, by Geo Stone?

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for including this, the closest I've come to a Basilisk was reading about a specific method once and this kind of disclaimer helps take away the dread that I might try something at a low point. Idk if that makes any sense but thanks anyway.

It makes perfect sense, because I’ve done the same thing. Part of me, seeing the disclaimer in the article that they were going to reveal the method when many other articles wouldn’t, was like “oh no. brain, don’t you dare. drop it. DROP IT! HSST! BAD BRAIN!”, so I looked into methemoglobinemia, which is what the stuff causes, and it’s a real bad time.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Facebook Aunt posted:

You can get nicotine as a liquid pesticide, you don't need to smoke it. One of those police procedurals had a guy who was murdered with a condom that had some liquid nicotine inside.

Yeah, it described how to make the liquid form from cigs iirc

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

DRINK ME posted:

I don’t recall this coming up in the thread before but today I learned about Morgellons disease. David Farrier (the Tickled movie guy) had it in his email newsletter thing, :nms: Webworm :nms:
**has pictures from sufferers that are gore-ish**

People with delusional parasitosis can damage their skin by attempting to remove imaginary parasites. These items may include scabs and skin particles, dust and dirt, and plant or animal fibers, and may be accompanied by photographs. Laboratory analysis fails to find proof of parasitic infestation.

Oh, hey, I'm a vet tech and delusional parasitosis can be something people have with their pets! I've had 2 clients in my 10 years working that insisted their otherwise healthy animals were infested with bugs but they could only be seen by the phone's camera and would shove their phones at my face. The pictures obviously showed nothing. We obviously did nothing but gently shoo them out the door.

We frequently have a woman call late at night about her dog that has "amoebas" coming from it's eyes/ears/tear ducts that she can see and no one will believe her. The last time she called I had to fake a STAT to get off the phone because she just talks forever about her dogs' amoebas and won't let you get a word in. Also she told me the last vet clinic she went to gave her a pamphlet for a therapist, like no poo poo they did. The last time she called was about 2 weeks ago, same poo poo.

I've also had a client come in twice to get her hand scanned for a microchip because she was terrified her roommates were chipping her in her sleep. This was despite me trying to convey to her that the needle is loving huge and she would never, ever sleep through that. Surprise, I scanned her and no chip. At least no chip we scan for in vet med :psylon:

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

empty sea posted:

Oh, hey, I'm a vet tech and delusional parasitosis can be something people have with their pets! I've had 2 clients in my 10 years working that insisted their otherwise healthy animals were infested with bugs but they could only be seen by the phone's camera and would shove their phones at my face. The pictures obviously showed nothing. We obviously did nothing but gently shoo them out the door.

We frequently have a woman call late at night about her dog that has "amoebas" coming from it's eyes/ears/tear ducts that she can see and no one will believe her. The last time she called I had to fake a STAT to get off the phone because she just talks forever about her dogs' amoebas and won't let you get a word in. Also she told me the last vet clinic she went to gave her a pamphlet for a therapist, like no poo poo they did. The last time she called was about 2 weeks ago, same poo poo.

I've also had a client come in twice to get her hand scanned for a microchip because she was terrified her roommates were chipping her in her sleep. This was despite me trying to convey to her that the needle is loving huge and she would never, ever sleep through that. Surprise, I scanned her and no chip. At least no chip we scan for in vet med :psylon:

There was guy that used to come into the video store I worked at in the 2000's that would always talk about his birds and was convinced they could tell the future. Like he would corner whoever was behind the desk and talk for 10-15 minutes about his birds and what they were predicting. I get that he was just a really lonely dude, but it's a big reason why I think bird owners are weird. Well, that and it's cruel to keep flying animals indoors.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"No no you misunderstood, we SEED the future"

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Vasukhani posted:

My dad stopped smoking a long time ago, after a day where he got a mild case of that because he had smoked multiple packs while writing up a case report. He was a public prosecutor and that case was one where :nms: a guy had killed himself and his entire family, including some small children the same age as my sister and me.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
People who work in tobacco fields can get nicotine poisoning through their skin. Per OSHA:

quote:

Nicotine exposure from handling tobacco leaves may cause nicotine poisoning, also called Green Tobacco Sickness (GTS), with symptoms including nausea and vomiting. Risk of nicotine poisoning increases when the nicotine contained in the tobacco leaves mixes with rain, dew, or sweat, allowing nicotine to get onto the skin and pass into the bloodstream more easily. Workers may experience GTS symptoms while at work or several hours after the workday ends.

There have been no studies about what happens if you repeatedly get GTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nicotine Poisoning does not feel very good