Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Bilirubin posted:

isn't it listed in the OP?

I thought that was the chess.com team :hurr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015

D34THROW posted:

I thought that was the chess.com team :hurr:

challenge sent!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i've heard people complain that caurana should have pushed more and risked a loss for the chance to win before entering the rapid tie breaks, but i think this match is a bit of a rebuttal to that argument

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Play safe against Carlsen and you'll lose. Play sharper lines and take a risk and you'll still lose.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The only one on the front foot was Karjakan went up a game didn't he? But that was after Carlsen missed winning chances in one of the others if I recall.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

algebra testes posted:

The only one on the front foot was Karjakan went up a game didn't he? But that was after Carlsen missed winning chances in one of the others if I recall.

From memory, Carlsen was really off form against Karjakin in 2016. Had very strong near-winning positions in three games where he uncharacteristically failed to convert his advantage in the endgame before Karjakin won a game as black where Carlsen played recklessly pushing for a win in an equal position. Carlsen did play exceptionally well to level the match with his win in game 10 (I think?) and then obviously dominated the tiebreaks, but really he should've won the match at least 2-0 in the classical portion, if not by more.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

this is sad to watch now. game 6 broke nepos brain

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Magnus not wearing his white suit.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Only registered members can see post attachments!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I noticed in the post game interview after game 9 that Nepo first commented that he thought his position was, paraphrased, maybe not crushing but very good before The Blunder but then after Carlsen commented that he thought it was slightly better for white/drawish even after dropping a pawn, Nepo said "okay maybe it wasn't as good as I had stated" which really said it all to me. I think he's completely lost all confidence in his play and has already acknowledged Carlsen as just the better player (which he is) and basically given up on the match, but can anyone really blame him?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
The next Candidates will have the 3 previous world championship challengers. wonder if we'll see someone get to run it back against magnus or if firouzja (or someone else) just stomps through it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

:rip: Nepo. He never scored.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Spokes posted:

The next Candidates will have the 3 previous world championship challengers. wonder if we'll see someone get to run it back against magnus or if firouzja (or someone else) just stomps through it.

i don't have anything solid to base this on, but i really want to see ding liren have a go

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

totalnewbie posted:

I think he's completely lost all confidence in his play and has already acknowledged Carlsen as just the better player (which he is) and basically given up on the match, but can anyone really blame him?

Magnus has 74 more Elo points than Ian. That implies an expected score of 0.6 per game, which over a 14 game match is a pretty solid favorite. In my opinion it's not an otherwise-even match where one guy just happened to crack under the pressure, it's that Magnus really is significantly, measurably better than everybody else. Good on Ian for fighting his hardest. I'm not sure anyone else could have done better.

In a couple years though? We'll see. Firouzja is a walking buzz saw.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
just played a game where i was down two pawns, had slightly more activity, but trash pawn structure

i was hoping there were drawing chances, but pretty i was just worse

i play a random waiting move and my opponent thinks for 4 minutes and then resigns. computer confirms i had nothing, still sitting here scratching my head about it

maybe they didn't feel like slowly grinding out the win, but surely you try offering a draw before resigning? i guess i'll take the win

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Captain von Trapp posted:

Magnus has 74 more Elo points than Ian. That implies an expected score of 0.6 per game, which over a 14 game match is a pretty solid favorite. In my opinion it's not an otherwise-even match where one guy just happened to crack under the pressure, it's that Magnus really is significantly, measurably better than everybody else. Good on Ian for fighting his hardest. I'm not sure anyone else could have done better.

In a couple years though? We'll see. Firouzja is a walking buzz saw.

Of course, but I don't think you can, or that Nepo, went into the match thinking "meh, I already lost." He knows, obviously, what he's up against but it's not a defeatist attitude that you go into a world championship match with.

That's what I'm saying changed.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i play a random waiting move and my opponent thinks for 4 minutes and then resigns. computer confirms i had nothing, still sitting here scratching my head about it

Some games your boss calls or the tow truck arrives or w/e.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Playing puzzles does seem to be helping me. I just did one on lichess that now was an obvious M3 for white. Two weeks ago, even, I probably would have missed the obvious: Black king castled kingside behind 3 pawns with rooks on a8 and d8, white has a rook on the d-file and a queen and rook on the e-file. 1. Rxd8+ Rxd8 2. Qe8+ Rxe8 3. Rxe8# 1-0. I feel like I used to be so much more concerned about material and would have given up an obvious mate to keep my queen.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I'd like to quote a post from Finegold's club. If I ever go back to competitive OTB play, I'll remember this.

quote:

On the most recent episode of the Perpetual Chess Podcast, founder of the Charlotte Chess Chess Center, FM Peter Giannatos, speaks highly of his relationship with Ben. More interestingly, Peter recalls a great piece of advice that Ben gave him.

Peter is about to go play in the Reykjavik Open and Ben tells him: "Here's what's gonna happen, Peter. You're going to beat somebody that you are not used to beating... You're going to upset somebody big... Here's what you're not gonna do when that happens: you're not going to call me excited, you're not going to type on Facebook how you just defeated a strong player - you're going to beat them, and you're going to act like that's normal... When you upset this player, you're going to pretend it's just another day in the neighborhood... Listen, you need to treat defeating better players like it's going to happen regularly."

Peter remarks on the podcast: "No book was ever going to tell me that!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0T4u8pit6s

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

ulmont posted:

Some games your boss calls or the tow truck arrives or w/e.

My 7 week old baby has a habit of waking up screaming in the midgame...

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

tilp posted:

My 7 week old baby has a habit of waking up screaming in the midgame...

yep, I'm not fast enough for blitz and I don't get enough uninterrupted time for longer controls, so daily chess it is.

Amanda Huggensuck
Nov 8, 2012
Anyone want to play a daily correspondence game on chess.com? My username is REustace and I hover between 1250 and 1350. I have an entire day to make a move and still make them instantaneously no matter how hard I try not to.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015

Amanda Huggensuck posted:

Anyone want to play a daily correspondence game on chess.com? My username is REustace and I hover between 1250 and 1350. I have an entire day to make a move and still make them instantaneously no matter how hard I try not to.

Do you have a lichess? I’d prefer that if it’s all the same to you but up for it either way.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Amanda Huggensuck posted:

I'm currently just over 1300 daily on chess.com so sounds like a good match-up! I'm Maugrimmau on there

E: looking at your rating for other modes I suspect you're decently better than me so I'll just have to rely on the aforementioned instantaneous decision making to give me a chance

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 10, 2021

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Anand's stream seems dead today, or maybe he went paid only.
What is the next best stream?

e: and now they are back.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Dec 10, 2021

Amanda Huggensuck
Nov 8, 2012

smiling giraffe posted:

Do you have a lichess? I’d prefer that if it’s all the same to you but up for it either way.

Yeah! I’m Reustace there as well.

Maugrim posted:

I'm currently just over 1300 daily on chess.com so sounds like a good match-up! I'm Maugrimmau on there

E: looking at your rating for other modes I suspect you're decently better than me so I'll just have to rely on the aforementioned instantaneous decision making to give me a chance

I think my rapid rating is deceptive since I’ve only played a few games there with people I know. I accepted your game thanks!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Looks like Nepo did it again.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I've been looking at chess.com insights. I've been playing 15 years (off more than on) have over 4000 games logged and am rated 1000 blitz. That is awful right? What to do...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

Looks a matter of technique now

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
It's done.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Nepo never recovered from losing game 6, it's gotta be frustrating playing against someone that just draws if you play safe and exploits any little weakness you might create trying to win instead.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i don't have anything solid to base this on, but i really want to see ding liren have a go
Caruana or Ding would be great.

Alireza of course would be interesting, because he absolutely believes he will beat Magnus every time he plays him. This is not true so far, even when they play many bullet games Magnus comes out soundly ahead, but it's a very different mindset from others. A year from now he will barely be 19 which means he will likely improve significantly between now and then, and with his recent grab of world #2 and breaking 2800... 2022 could be an unprecedented breakout year for him.

Hand Knit posted:

Losing now beats drawing to lose it as black tomorrow or in any of the next few games.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 10, 2021

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I could use some help analyzing this loss where I made a lot of blunders but ones that didn't immediately lose material, and I didn't really feel I was losing until I found myself is a really bad position. I'm a pretty bad player but usually my mistakes are more obvious to me.

https://lichess.org/m3zhAfl0

code:
[Result "0-1"]
[WhiteElo "1721"]
[BlackElo "1695"]
[ECO "C50"]
[Opening "Italian Game: Giuoco Pianissimo, Normal"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. d3 Bc5 5. Bg5 h6 6. Bh4 a6 7. a3 d6 8. O-O Bg4 9. h3 Bxf3 10. Qxf3 Nd4 11. Qd1 Qd7 12. c3 Ne6 13. Nd2 Nf4 14. Nb3 Ba7 15. Re1 b5 16. Bd5 { 0-1 White resigns. } 0-1

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
I'm a worse player than you, but just following the best moves at each of the big eval jumps shows why they were bad. h3 means black, who hasn't castled yet, is free to push their h and g pawns, and then has a knight, queen, and rook ready to take advantage of your weakened kingside. Talking Re1 in lieu of another move means you don't give your bishop any escape squares and you're eventually forced to sac it too.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wow Carlsen had Dubov on his team.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Esposito posted:

I'm a worse player than you, but just following the best moves at each of the big eval jumps shows why they were bad. h3 means black, who hasn't castled yet, is free to push their h and g pawns, and then has a knight, queen, and rook ready to take advantage of your weakened kingside. Talking Re1 in lieu of another move means you don't give your bishop any escape squares and you're eventually forced to sac it too.

Thanks, I'm way overrated because I don't have many rated correspondence games. I'm probably like 1200 which on chess.com would be like 600/700

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

Those engine analysis comments are garbage....

I wouldn't say you had "a lot of blunders" -> just one and it was getting your bishop trapped. When you played Nb3, you took away the escape for your bishop. When you played Re1, you ignored the threat and left your bishop with nowhere to go... d4 would have opened up the diagonal so that your bishop could escape.

However, you should have kept playing because your opponent would have made a mistake just like you did, and you might have been able to turn the game around. I would actually suggest you resigning was your biggest blunder ;)

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Apsyrtes posted:

I wouldn't say you had "a lot of blunders" -> just one and it was getting your bishop trapped.

I hear even some pretty good players do this once in a while.

Really though, I agree with the "resignation was the blunder" A 2-point material deficit early in the game is at worst a learning experience, and more probably there'd be an opportunity to take advantage of an opponent mistake at some point.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I hope that for the next championship they embed a documentary crew with each camp as they do their prep and analysis. That could end up being really, really fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain von Trapp posted:

I hear even some pretty good players do this once in a while.

Really though, I agree with the "resignation was the blunder" A 2-point material deficit early in the game is at worst a learning experience, and more probably there'd be an opportunity to take advantage of an opponent mistake at some point.

When you're below 1000 Elo, they're not blunders, they are positional sacrifices in a line your opponent is going to blunder into.