Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Sure! I got a late start today so didn’t finish them as planned. But here’s a sneak. Clear pink over silver glitter

That's super pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I come to this thread with a dire warning:

Do not start down this path. It will lead only to ruin.

...But if you're already on it, http://clubtokyo.org/ is a great resource for Kaiju and Toku toys.

MechaOctobot
Jan 3, 2014

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Sure! I got a late start today so didn’t finish them as planned. But here’s a sneak. Clear pink over silver glitter

Looking really sharp. Glitter and crazy colour schemes are one of the things I love about sofubi. Looking forward to adding that Lulu to my collection when they are ready!

Failson posted:

...But if you're already on it, http://clubtokyo.org/ is a great resource for Kaiju and Toku toys.

Where were you two months ago! The slipperyness of this slope is no joke. But it’s a fun ride!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Sorry for the late warning.

That pink glitter Lulu does indeed look great!

Some other Sofubi makers I hadn't seen mentioned yet (could have missed it):

Obsessed Panda! Very nice guy, and his Pandanaut is darn cute: https://www.op-customs.com/

Jeff Lamb! His Greasebat character is a neo-classic. Toys are made by Unbox, I think. https://www.instagram.com/greasebat/?hl=en

Bwana Spoons! Really unique style to all his work: http://goopygravy.com/

Ilu Ilu: I love the look of everything they make, but haven't been able to buy any. Just going to link to the skullbrain thread: http://skullbrain.org/bb/index.php?threads/ilu-ilu-neo-gorilla-tokio-g%C3%B6rz-other-database-1st-page.41410/

Buster Call's Beetlar - Out of production, and I don't know anything about the maker, but a great sculpt, and I need to add on to the collection: https://www.google.com/search?q=bus...=99fFP5VIK2qNyM

One to watch: Yakimon! https://www.munktiki.com/shop?category=OTHER Made a vinyle in 2014, but there are more on the horizon, I think? His ceramics are incredible though, and worth a look.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Too lazy to get the 3A robots down from their display, but I snapped a few quick pics of the vinyls I keep loose nearby.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Failson posted:

I remember discovering that site back in middle school almost 20 years ago

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

I remember discovering that site back in middle school almost 20 years ago

It was college for me.

Vaporware posted:

Too lazy to get the 3A robots down from their display, but I snapped a few quick pics of the vinyls I keep loose nearby.

I would love to be able to afford to go to Japan, and just spend unholy amounts of money at RxH

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It’s the season

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/catmagictoy/status/1466569650150330373?s=21

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

^^^Double hell yeah!!! ...we haven't put up our Christmas tree yet. :negative:

Here's some pics of my pickups over the past monthish or so.

The Galaxy People Console version 2 (I think), which is a super fun display piece and fits Herrod and Viridius perfectly.

A Grape Brain Onigiri in Orange. There's a surprising amount of articulation / display options in these.

And finally a Skullion w/ guitar from Martin Ontiveros. This one was a one off in a set of 3 colors being sold by Toy Art Gallery at DCON.

I e-stalked this stupid thing from before DCON all the way through the convention, haha. Toy Art Gallery put up DCON leftovers on their site and I grabbed him asap. I already thought the Skullion was a cool toy on it's own, but with the guitar added + GITD + it being in my favorite color of green I think it was just meant to be.

I have been unloading action figures left and right to fund these. It may be a sickness.

MechaOctobot
Jan 3, 2014

That pink glitter looks so good! Going to be keeping an eye on your site tomorrow

The Xmas tree display is super cute. If I didn’t fear my dog might chomp one I’d put some by the trees we have on tv stand thing.

Agent, cool pick ups. That console is really neat! Makes me wonder what other cool non figure sofubi things exist (I’ve seen a few buildings and a vehicle or two, but considering the genre I’m surprised there aren’t more , but I’m guessing it’s more that they are rare or I havnt really looked in the right places)

I need to take pictures of my recent additions so I think I’m going to take a page from each of your books and do a little Xmas tree display. Just waiting on a few more deliveries.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

MechaOctobot posted:

Agent, cool pick ups. That console is really neat! Makes me wonder what other cool non figure sofubi things exist (I’ve seen a few buildings and a vehicle or two, but considering the genre I’m surprised there aren’t more , but I’m guessing it’s more that they are rare or I havnt really looked in the right places)
Yeah, I haven't seen too much in the way of world building type stuff. Mostly I've seen versions of buildings / towers for vinyl kaiju. There was that Medicom SSSP base posed a while back too.

Not entirely related, and I can't seem to find the picture at the moment, but I ran across an anitomicalish heart that opened into two pieces and the inside was some tiny dudes worshiping at a stone altar and it had some mini kaiju that you could stand on there like the natives were worshiping them. It was a really cool idea.

And more pictures are always great. Love seeing what other people are collecting.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gat drat I love absurd kaiju Sofubi

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Holy poo poo!!!

Missileras is the latest from Elegab! I am incredibly stoked on this wild beauty!

MechaOctobot
Jan 3, 2014
Those are wild! The school of fish kaiju is such a crazy concept but it works

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Both of those are awesome! Painting the fish Kaiju seems like a process.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm not going down this rabbit hole... yet but I do own a few of the smaller kaiju and at least ten Ultramen, because I deserve it. They pair nicely with tiny buildings or against Transformers!

e: Photographing when I have no good surfaces available is tough!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 4, 2021

MechaOctobot
Jan 3, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm not going down this rabbit hole... yet but I do own a few of the smaller kaiju and at least ten Ultramen, because I deserve it. They pair nicely with tiny buildings or against Transformers!

e: Photographing when I have no good surfaces available is tough!

Sofubi addiction is real lol

Cool pieces you have. Seeing your Ultraman reminds me I need to get an Ultraman at some point . Also thanks for the pics, I always love seeing people’s collections.

MechaOctobot fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 6, 2021

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I always drool at the pictures of Japanese Toys R Us with their aisles full of cheap sofubi. A thing of Beauty.

Also I'm not sure of the protocol on recommending stores, but DrTonguesToys on Etsy keeps a nice stock of import bandai vinyl at reasonable enough prices.

Oh and go get a Glitter Lulu if you haven't already!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Recommend away for shops!! I know there’s always a sect of collectors who don’t want to let “their secret shop” be found out, and sometimes I get it, but the more people buying Sofubi means more demand and shops will get more.

Yeah current Sofubi are great as well! I buy Bandai ones when I can- they are inexpensive and although not as charmingly goofy as the ones I normally get, they are still super cool. I was able to get a big Sevenger a couple months back and I love it!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Forums ate my full response and I'm too lazy to type it all out but the basic jist of it is that those two Ultraman Sofubi highlight and exacerbate the flaws and limitations of the medium for humanoid figures while that Sevenger one shows how to work within those same limits and make something appealing

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

EorayMel posted:

I will just post this here

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

sorry, it's all sold out.

The internet pedant in me isn't sure if they count as knockoffs in the traditional sense, since they're ~art toys~ and are quite well-sculpted. Super expensive too.

From the knockoffs thread

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

That SSJ Homer fukkin rules

Yeah modern small Sofubi like Ultraman are very limited in movement etc, but also that’s not really anything new. Here’s an OG small Ultraman Joneus from 1980 and a modern Ultraman Taiga from a couple of years ago. Same articulation.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also modern Ultra Sofubi tend to mostly be small, and very pocket sized. These make them super affordable for kids. Even smaller than modern Kamen Rider Sofubi

But they make popular characters larger often, like Z here

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Heads up if you think you missed out on the Monster Patrol Toys exclusive Max Toy Ultraman: they still have a few

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXKkOE2lwdK/?utm_medium=copy_link

Also my Pink Glitter Magic Lulu is available now

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Edit: :v:

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 7, 2021

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Speaking of Monster Patrol, look who showed up!

Lulu is a large gal! And full of stickers! And I can finally rest since I finally picked up a glitter Ultraman.
:toot:

I picked up a couple DCon leftovers that I'll post some other time, I've got a nice little spot for them at my 'desk' (I need to stop buying Sofubi and maybe buy an actual desk...)

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Well done, LadyPictureShow!

If I wasn't so broke, I'd be jumping on those as well.

Here's the store I was talking about earlier:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/drtonguestoys?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=789420803&section_id=32591746

Lots of Ultraman Vinyls in stock. Always seeing something weird and wonderful that I didn't know about before. It's a brick and mortar shop in Portland too.

MechaOctobot
Jan 3, 2014

LadyPictureShow posted:

Lulu is a large gal! And full of stickers! And I can finally rest since I finally picked up a glitter Ultraman.

I picked up a couple DCon leftovers that I'll post some other time, I've got a nice little spot for them at my 'desk' (I need to stop buying Sofubi and maybe buy an actual desk...)

Ohh nice pick ups! Can’t wait too see your other pics.

Also can’t wait for...

No rush or anything lol

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

Just got mine in the mail today too! What's up same purchase buddy! :respek:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Thank you, folks!

edit:

MechaOctobot posted:

No rush or anything lol

If you were one of the people who's ordered one they went out today and you should have been emailed the tracking number. DM me if you didn't get the email.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 8, 2021

MechaOctobot
Jan 3, 2014

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Thank you, folks!

edit:

If you were one of the people who's ordered one they went out today and you should have been emailed the tracking number. DM me if you didn't get the email.

Got my email this afternoon!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I got an actual sofubi tonight of beloved Godzilla villain, Megalon

I have a handful of Godzilla sofubi. I have so many Monsterarts Godzillas that it keeps the number down but I like when I'm able to either get neat colors or rarer characters.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Hooray Megalon!

Monsterarts are great, but I also miss the Revoltech line. They definitely had their flaws, but I miss all the accessories.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

As promised here's the DCon leftovers I picked up.

Aimodo Robot! This one's fun because spinning its head around gives you two face options and it came with several right arms (and what I guess is meant to be a space helmet if you take the head off?)

Fossil Pods!

I like dinos. I like bugs. I like these.

Yoskay Yamamoto Moon Flower and Dongo.
I'll never be able to afford any of his wall art, so these are the next best thing!

E: Dongo wasn't a DCon leftover it was released as part of a show he did with Giant Robot in LA.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 10, 2021

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Those are all super rad; but a green robot, oh yeah!

Also, plants are cool and good.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Arrived!! I finally got my Henshin Ninja Arashi! Arashi is a Tokusatsu hero from 1973 and is basically “Samurai era ninja Kamen Rider”. I’ve been a fan since I was a kid and have always wanted a Sofubi of him and now I have one from Medicom. I’m so stoked! ✨🙀😭✨

A volume of the manga that entranced me as a child back in 1973

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Both that robot and that Arashi figure further highlight how one should do more humanoid Sofubi figures and not end up with something dull like most Ultraman or Kamen Rider Sofubi I've seen

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Arashi is wild! The hair is a fun touch. Seeing the Manga makes me want to go replay Ghost's of Tsushima, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
May everyone get the sofubi they're dreaming of.

I need to track down a Fig Lab Pheyden one of these days. Preferably one of these glitter runs:

https://fig-lab.com/jingle-bombs/

As far as I know, they haven't been done in a while, though Fig-lab is still up and running.