Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
A tidal wave is like a normal wave but bigger, something to do with the moon, whereas a tsunami is because of an earthquake or meteor strike or whatever.

So in terms of covid like i guess the euros was a tsunami whereas schools going back and breaking up are tidal waves? I dunno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

From the Graun:

This seems a bit weird to me. How could they not culture bacteria from the tissue samples? Were they drunk when taking the samples? Did they accidentally sample a nearby cow?

TB is notoriously difficult to culture even if you take samples from a living human. It takes 6 weeks and you might still get gently caress all.

The more active the disease is, the more bacteria are present and the more likely you are to get a positive culture. Unfortunately TB has a habit of being walled off in little granulomas all over the place which do not make culture easy.

The TB tests usually look for antibodies which is a lot easier than finding the organism.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Tsunami sounds cooler.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

I guess doomerism must be the dominant ideology in Scotland, which kinda makes sense I guess.

They've literally spent a lifetime living nextdoor to the English. what else do you need

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Unless I missed something, I don't think anyone even suggested Barry Foster not post ITT, only mildly corrected doomer talking points about how Omicron was going to breeze straight past existing immunity (vaccine or natural).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

When did we stop calling them tidal waves anyway?

Bloody Brussels Bureaucrats

Convex posted:

They've literally spent a lifetime living nextdoor to the English. what else do you need

I was just going to say this.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1469330224282284043

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1469027976381714438

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1469084755010457600

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 10, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Barry has also repeatedly mentioned mental health trouble. I got the impression that he said he was going to stop posting after it became clear that this was likely affecting his perception of the new strain.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Ya, literally nobody told him to stop posting. Just criticised the speculative doomerism.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The classic "do nothing and wait for the Tories to eventually gently caress themselves" strategy paying off for ol' Kieth

Still got some way to match Corbyn's high score (46) or biggest lead (10%) though

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Barry has also repeatedly mentioned mental health trouble. I got the impression that he said he was going to stop posting after it became clear that this was likely affecting his perception of the new strain.

That's not what happened. He said "I'm out" after someone said he was loving with their anxiety

e: p26 if you want to read for yourself

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

He said he was going to stop posting after other posters said his posting was making them anxious.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
FWIW I just said

Failed Imagineer posted:

Barry attracted a bunch of mithering itt .

not that he was "chased out" or anything cause this thread are decent folk who can disagree and save the "fuckoffs" for Nazis and Pissflaps (hey Pissflaps).

But anyway, this is all posting about posting about posting, no need to keep fuckin that alpaca

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Nah mate, people accused him of doomerism and blamed him for flaring up their anxiety. So he peaced out.

Coronavirus is bad. Not Baz's fault, blame the government for failing to deal with it seriously from day 1, that's what has hosed my anxiety.

Anyway. Miffed the Tories haven't knifed Boris yet. Need some entertainment

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/DrProudman/status/1469328860462424073

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Anyway. Miffed the Tories haven't knifed Boris yet. Need some entertainment

https://twitter.com/NoContextBrits/status/1469053242910912517

He did, in fairness, play him on TV. And I think a lot of people imagine that tonty blair is hugh grant.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Aside from just generally being a bit poo poo, I’m guessing a lot of Labour people are being sheepish about calling for Johnson’s head because they went to a shindig of their own that the tabloids are saving for a rainy day.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Answers Me posted:

Aside from just generally being a bit poo poo, I’m guessing a lot of Labour people are being sheepish about calling for Johnson’s head because they went to a shindig of their own that the tabloids are saving for a rainy day.

I’ve seen a lot of that but Labour and KS have persistently refused to call for resignations on a number of matters. It is more likely (to me) that they are just being lily-livered, rather than compromised themselves.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i reckon that chalattally sisters only gurned on TV because she was gutted she'd done hersel out of a job, like

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

They're trying to appeal to Tory voters. Tory voters don't like politicians calling for resignations because the vast majority of resignation-worthy poo poo is done by Tory MPs

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

therattle posted:

I’ve seen a lot of that but Labour and KS have persistently refused to call for resignations on a number of matters. It is more likely (to me) that they are just being lily-livered, rather than compromised themselves.

I doubt Keith even gets invited to parties tbqh

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Noxville posted:

I doubt Keith even gets invited to parties tbqh

Exactly!

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/1469200734927433731?s=20

George Monbiot still generally a good egg. Can't ever, ever imagine any of the other Guardian melts doing this.

Unrelated, but this is cool:

https://twitter.com/beatthefallacy/status/1468991831635599367?s=20

https://antiwork.reddit.com is great. Mostly talk about US work situation but it's a real, growing movement - the fastest growing subreddit, and I think it could actually lead to something substantive.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 10, 2021

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

therattle posted:

Imagine if we had an actual opposition

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

A "good egg" doesn't spend a week calling all Corbyn supporters Assadists because someone did a "this you" tweet. It's to his credit that he's deleted it, but he's revealed a lot about the way he thinks, none of it good.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
nah

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

It's true that journalists are often trying to lead you into a mistake, but in this case unless Jaeluni's hypothetical is true, you can say anything negative about Johnson and the public will side with you.

Which is how you get your ‘fails to condemn bad thing Johnson has done’ headline, backed by a quote of the one of the five replies that left that specific point out.

It makes no difference to anyone involved which particular subgroup of Labour supporters come to hold which particular set of negative opinions about the current Labour leader and programmer. Neither is it particularly important what degree of truth there is in the claim. The point is that those negative opinions come to be held, and that people change their support correspondingly.

If you can’t see that process working, you have not been keeping up with this thread.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Funny that Barry attracted a bunch of mithering itt in part for using the term "tsunami" to describe the dangers of a new surge, and now Nicola Sturgeon just made a statement about a "potential tsunami". I guess doomerism must be the dominant ideology in Scotland, which kinda makes sense I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7NlFWh7Sz8

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

disgusting that the thread would collectively execute forums poster Barry Foster only to discover that they couldn't even confirm they had tuberculosis

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

kecske posted:

read a climate change thread or something to fully shatter your mind into pieces so that you can confront any piece of political news with a shrug and maybe a lol or two

cast off your fears and worries friends, all is dust

Ask yourself why only SA threads full of computer touchers know the secret that everything is doomed. There's nothing the average office drone isn't an expert in apparently. Climate science, epidemiology, bio-sciences.

i'd advise anyone that wants to 'shatter their mind' gain at least basic aptitude in reading scientific papers and make their own decisions rather than threads of curated horror by posters with unmedicated and extreme anxiety

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Yeah those IPCC reports really paint a rosy picture

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/1469200734927433731?s=20

George Monbiot still generally a good egg. Can't ever, ever imagine any of the other Guardian melts doing this.

https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/1469352547286601729

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BP_Cena/status/1469350440752005131

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That woman with her hood up definitely held a Christmas party.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Thanks to everyone who recommended those GeoWizard straight line walks videos. They've been a welcome distraction over the course of a rough few days

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Tarnop posted:

Thanks to everyone who recommended those GeoWizard straight line walks videos. They've been a welcome distraction over the course of a rough few days

I got into doing geoguessr through randomly watching one of his straight line vids. He's a really nice guy. Quite the opposite to your average youtuber.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Tarnop posted:

A "good egg" doesn't spend a week calling all Corbyn supporters Assadists because someone did a "this you" tweet. It's to his credit that he's deleted it, but he's revealed a lot about the way he thinks, none of it good.

Honestly, a lot of Corbyn supporters on Twitter are exactly that, and if that's who was reacting poorly to his recent threads then no wonder he was complaining.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Remember the London cat 'serial killer'.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2300921-london-cat-serial-killer-was-just-foxes-dna-analysis-confirms/

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Happily i also identify as an indoor gamer, other than no longer having a job & no archery practice life is pretty good tbh.

I have bought a ukulele & guitar to compensate.... currently shite at both. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I discovered that I might be allowed to liberate non-chep pallets from work so I might graduate to being an indoor gamer and wood mangler next year.