Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Tried starting this back up after a long break and I'm insanely lost lol. I have no idea what to do
Just read the rumour log! Or just ignore what you found earlier, the only things that change from the first run are the tutorial, your rumour log and a few small lines of dialogue. Just go explore again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Tried starting this back up after a long break and I'm insanely lost lol. I have no idea what to do

Start from scratch. You've been given the gift we all want: to forget and do it again.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Samopsa posted:

Just read the rumour log! Or just ignore what you found earlier, the only things that change from the first run are the tutorial, your rumour log and a few small lines of dialogue. Just go explore again.

Yeah I tried following leads from the log and I have made some more progress! Initially I just hit a bunch of dead ends but I think I have a little more to go on now.

Knight007au
May 8, 2007

Where do these drop where can I buy one?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
On the annapurna store but they sold out the first day.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Any Outer Wilds merch tends to sell out very fast. The last time they had a big restock a month or two ago, I was there the minute it went live. I tried to get a shirt, a hat, and a patch, but by the time I got through checkout, I only got the patch.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Yeah I tried following leads from the log and I have made some more progress! Initially I just hit a bunch of dead ends but I think I have a little more to go on now.

Alright i finished it lol

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I've beaten the main game and I still have no idea how to access the rumor log

Also been down a video card and just got to start checking out the DLC, so far I just found some of the slides

Aaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Lemming posted:

I've beaten the main game and I still have no idea how to access the rumor log

Also been down a video card and just got to start checking out the DLC, so far I just found some of the slides

Aaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

check the computer in your ship; if it shows a bunch of planets in a line hit whatever button it says in the corner to go to Rumor Mode. it's the big webbed police-investigation-board looking thing

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

check the computer in your ship; if it shows a bunch of planets in a line hit whatever button it says in the corner to go to Rumor Mode. it's the big webbed police-investigation-board looking thing

I didn't see anything, and then I went into the options and it turns out it's a setting you can disable, I probably did that when I first booted it up and forgot I did that, lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe that's what happened to that goon from months ago who could not get into the rumor mode no matter what button we said to push.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

turning that off is an option??????????????????????????????????????????

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I can imagine that turning off Rumor Mode would appeal to the kind of person who really enjoys taking their own notes. The game does a good job of highlighting keywords so it would probably be a pretty pleasant experience for those into that.

I have no idea what I would do without the "there is more to discover here" prompt, though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

blastron posted:

I can imagine that turning off Rumor Mode would appeal to the kind of person who really enjoys taking their own notes. The game does a good job of highlighting keywords so it would probably be a pretty pleasant experience for those into that.

I have no idea what I would do without the "there is more to discover here" prompt, though.

It still has that on the regular thingy, it just only shows for things or places you've already gotten *some* information for

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Sorry if I'm interrupting an ongoing discussion. I'm playing through blind for the first time and I'm trying to avoid even minor spoilers, so I haven't read anything in the thread. I am just at a point where I think I'm doing what I'm supposed to, but I can't quite get it to work because of game jank.

Basically, I am trying to get to the Quantum Moon. I'm trying to use the gravity cannon on Brittle Hollow using the recalled shuttle. I have been trying to lock the moon in place around Brittle Hollow by going to the moon locator on Ember Twin, shooting the scout onto the Brittle Hollow location stone, then going in and out of satellite view mode until the Quantum Moon is over Brittle Hollow, then I take a picture with both Brittle Hollow and the Quantum Moon in frame. I turn around a few times to confirm the moon doesn't disappear when not looked at. I've even waited around a while to confirm that the sun blocking line-of-sight with the moon doesn't seem to break the lock. But when I try to fly to Brittle Hollow, it seems that the lock is broken when I go into flight mode. I even changed the picture-taking buttons to avoid accidentally taking a new picture while flying, but the lock seems to break anyway. Once at the gravity cannon, I try to go in and out of satellite view mode while taking pictures from the scout in an attempt to get the Quantum Moon in frame around Brittle Hollow again, but it hasn't worked after several tries.

Please respond with either "You're doing it right, just keep trying", or "You're doing something wrong". Even if I'm 90% right, please just say I'm doing it wrong and don't blurt out the last 10%.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
You're doing it wrong

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Inferior Third Season posted:

Please respond with either "You're doing it right, just keep trying", or "You're doing something wrong". Even if I'm 90% right, please just say I'm doing it wrong and don't blurt out the last 10%.

You sort of have the right idea but you are massively overcomplicating things.

Going to point out a basic game mechanic that you might have missed, but spoilers anyway in case you want to keep trying things yourself:

Your ship has a built-in probe launcher that can take pictures. From what you posted it sounds like you didn't realize this and are trying extremely elaborate workarounds

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

You're on the right track, but the method is wrong.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, you have the right idea, but there is a much simpler way to do it that doesn't involve visiting a bunch of other places

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

So I found something weird and very rare it seems. Could be bug / could be something more. I can give hints to anyone looking to find it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You have any more info than "i found a thing"?

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

I've only been able to find one mention of it on the internet and it's just a photo of the item. People dismissed it as an anomaly. I kept pulling that thread and I still haven't found the end.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Maybe you wanna just post what you are talking about and we can discuss it on this discussion forum

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I found an incredible secret. Serious mind blowing poo poo here folks.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

huge if true

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

repiv posted:

huge if true

Honestly? It blows the lid right off of it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have discovered a truly marvelous outer wilds easter egg which this post is too narrow to contain

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Can you all believe what I just saw in a game? (not saying which one, to not spoil it)

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Give me a hint

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Actual Satan posted:

Give me a hint

To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

For a game all about not giving away any clues and literally every scrap of info can be valuable, where is the sense of adventure.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

I never doubted you, Juggernaut. But can you ride it?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

The Juggernaut posted:

For a game all about not giving away any clues and literally every scrap of info can be valuable, where is the sense of adventure.

lol okay you got me

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

Edit - NSFW?

The Juggernaut fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 10, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

This sort of reminds me of something I saw and didn't understand at the time; at one point, I was flying around Giant's Deep and saw some weird brambly thing, I assumed I was maybe some kind of dark bramble seed, sort of telling the story of how the seeds got on Timber Hearth and why there was the brambly island on Giant's Deep, but I never saw anyone bring it up. It dawns on me what i was probably looking at was the particular moment of the bramble island being lifted into space.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

that was always in the game

https://outerwilds.fandom.com/wiki/Easter_Eggs#Fig_Backer_Satellite

if thats all you found i would assume the random raft in space is just a bug

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 10, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

im not the only one who sees the low res goatses, right?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I thought this guy had gone and found the castle with the dead humans in it, but it's just a raft! I mean, it's interesting, but it's not:

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

repiv posted:

just a bug

Go there. Find the satellite from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ok let me just reinstall the game and fly around aimlessly in space looking for a small object that isn't marked on my map and may not even have spawned

you're being extremely cryptic and the only things you've shown are (a) something that looks like a bug and (b) something that was already well known

please give us anything to indicate there's something new here

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 10, 2021