Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

All developers, designers, artists, authors, filmmakers, and people on planet earth should unironically ignore every social media whine about any subject or aspect of anything

People are going to complain about everything and the internet amplifies every garbagebaby's rant over the vast majority of people who just like a thing and go on with their lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Another option is to just do the loving tutorial without whining and moaning about it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

deep dish peat moss posted:

A videogame having a tutorial is like a jigsaw puzzle coming with a cheat sheet that shows you what piece goes where. Figure it the gently caress out, that part is fun.
:ssh:
the picture on the box is the cheat sheet

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mescal posted:

if tons of people say they don't understand how to play the game, THERE IS something wrong wih the game. same as if a ton of people don't understand how to use your website or your grocery self-checkout. doesn't matter if they 'didn't do it right.'

Where does this fit in to the tutorial argument?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Trillhouse posted:

i felt like half of RDR2 was tutorial missions.

i liked the game, but it really needed a "okay the world is your oyster go do whatever you want" moment. every mission felt so urgent, and then they put your character's life on a timer when he gets sick. open world games should have more freedom!

Yeah well the game really only begins after the story ends. The real game is doing chores in your farm.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Where does this fit in to the tutorial argument?

if people skip your tutorial it means your tutorial is bad

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mescal posted:

Mods please re-title this thread to Tails because we're being trolled here!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mescal posted:

Lmao

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Reminder that "the industry" still cares about Metacritic.

As if there needed to be any more ways that the game industry is toxic.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

lobsterminator posted:

Yeah well the game really only begins after the story ends. The real game is doing chores in your farm.

every open world game should be like morrowind.

right at the start of the main quest, an absolutely shredded, shirtless old man living alone in his efficiency apartment tells you to go out and get some experience and then come back when you're ready.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

"no rush man, just go out there and have fun!"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Trillhouse posted:

every open world game should be like morrowind.

right at the start of the main quest, an absolutely shredded, shirtless old man living alone in his efficiency apartment tells you to go out and get some experience and then come back when you're ready.

I'll zoom with you and tell you to level up first if you want.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I agree that the halo story so far is really a lot like the others in that is mainly incredibly stupid. The gameplay isn't that great either but one way where it's not baby's first video game is that it's really loving hard, especially on controller and above normal diff. I died several times on the very first mission lol

At least it's nice of Microsoft to not include DRM

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Mescal posted:

This poster is exhibit A on why developers should ignore gamers.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Press LEFT to move to the left

Try this now.

Good!

Press RIGHT to move to the right

Try this now.

Press RIGHT to move to the right

Excellent!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't care about tutorials if they aren't too invasive, but I don't like it when a game treats me like I have never played a video game before.

aceface
Dec 27, 2017

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Playing Dark Souls does NOT make you sterile

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

aceface posted:

Playing Dark Souls does NOT make you sterile

however you will still be unable to procreate

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I do like the one tutorial prompt that asks you to look up - and depending on your preference for y-inverted the game will recognize and switch to the appropriate setting.

Other than that - tutorials should always be optional and not mandatory.

poo poo didn’t the final fantasy games all have tutorial buildings available after the ‘beginning’ of the game - like in the first town? So you can learn after you’ve been futzing with the game.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Every videogame is someone's first

gears 5 is rated m and features chainsaw disembowelments - probably shouldn't be played by children. how many people make it to age 17 (or get old enough to be left home alone while parents go out and shoot up heroin) without playing a game before?

Bruegels Fuckbooks fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 10, 2021

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

mortal shell has a really important mechanic called “harden” that i’ll never stop giggling about because i’m an idiot child

the game knows, though, the first guy you fight is literally named Hadren, it is loving with you

“getting hit while hardened will restore your health” lmfao

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm sorry but I forget how to do basic movement every time that I start a new game and what if pressing random keys to just figure it out actually kills me in real life???

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mescal posted:

All tutorials are bad

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
not only should they eliminate tutorials, but they should also not allow you to see controller schemes/kbm keybinds either. just start mashing those buttons and figure it out

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Every videogame is someone's first

Yeah but most most game mechanics are easy to figure out.

Cracker King posted:

I do like the one tutorial prompt that asks you to look up - and depending on your preference for y-inverted the game will recognize and switch to the appropriate setting.

Other than that - tutorials should always be optional and not mandatory.

poo poo didn’t the final fantasy games all have tutorial buildings available after the ‘beginning’ of the game - like in the first town? So you can learn after you’ve been futzing with the game.

Wrong, this is bad because it encourages people to have really stupid opinions on what is better. While I prefer my two finger scroll to make sense (no up should be up Apple you stupid fucks), giving me the options will just annoy me when something decides to not give me that option while not being the way I'm used to.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Some games actually 100% need a tutorial lol, come on.

Sure FPS #500 or racing game # 200 might not, but if there is any originality in your systems or control scheme at all it's good to have it explained

If you don't have to explain it then it's probably too basic

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
People who rebind controls are babies afraid to leave their comfort zone. The developers have a vision and you tampering with that vision by rebinding is like firebombing the Louvre

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Icochet posted:

People who rebind controls are babies afraid to leave their comfort zone. The developers have a vision and you tampering with that vision by rebinding is like firebombing the Louvre

What if you use a randomiser to rebind the keys to completely random ones so you have to learn an entirely foreign vision of interaction than any slight resemblance to a standard the game would have originally?

HUH SMART GUY? WHAT NOW?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Here's a video of someone playing the Gears of War 5 unskippable, forced tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a8ufPfS400

The first two minutes are an unskippable cutscene telling you that you need to do a tutorial even though you know how to fight

2:00 - 3:15 teaches you how to use the left thumbstick to move and the right thumbstick to look and makes you demonstrate

3:15 - 5:20 teaches you how to enter cover and makes you demonstrate that you know how to press the cover button to enter cover 10 separate times

5:20 - 6:25 teaches you how to press the sprint button and makes you demonstrate by sprinting down a hallway and back.

6:25 - 8:40 teaches you how to press the shoot button and the reload button and makes you demonstrate by shooting a few targets, then again by running around and shooting 5 targets until they die.

8:40 - 10:30 teaches you how to press the button to throw a grenade and makes you demonstrate by killing 4 passive enemies with grenades

10:30 - 11:40 goes back to the shoot button and makes you demonstrate it by shooting 5 more targets

11:40 - 12:50 teaches you how to press the revive button to revive a downed ally. Then it makes you down your own ally and revive them to demonstrate. Then it makes that ally down you and revive you to demonstrate what being revived is like (you just sit there doing nothing).

12:50 - 15:15 teaches you how to press the melee button, then makes you demonstrate shooting and grenades again by killing 5 more targets

15:15 - 17:15 makes you demonstrate using the melee button on enemies several times

17:15 - 19:00 makes you demonstrate the shoot button again by killing 5 more targets.

You're finally done with the tutorial :cheers: Now you know how to press the shoot, reload, grenade, melee, and interact buttons on your controller. They will also be shown to you as color coded on-screen button prompts every time they are usable in case you forget any of this, we know it's a lot to take in.

Oh also the protagonist has voice lines about how "this is actually pretty fun!" to remind the player how much fun they are having.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 10, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Imagine being someone who is a fan of the Gears of War franchise and you run out to the store and buy a brand new copy of the 5th edition of the game and you rush home all excited to play it, and when you start it up... that's your first 20 minutes. lol

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

syntaxfunction posted:

What if you use a randomiser to rebind the keys to completely random ones so you have to learn an entirely foreign vision of interaction than any slight resemblance to a standard the game would have originally?

HUH SMART GUY? WHAT NOW?

Hmm maybe if you let your mortal enemy rebind the keys that could be ok maybe. Malevolence instead of randomness

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Icochet posted:

Lmao if you wouldn't firebomb the Louvre any day of the week smhd.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Icochet posted:

Hmm maybe if you let your mortal enemy rebind the keys that could be ok maybe. Malevolence instead of randomness

What if I don't have any enemies? What if I'm so beloved that there is not a single person in this world who could genuinely dislike me? Must I relegate myself to the blandness of default keybinds? Why would you do this to me?

Also if GoW5 has a terrible tutorial the clear solution is like better franchises.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

HUH SMART GUY? WHAT NOW?

Deathloop doesn't even use the word "lives" for fucks sake so when they explained reprises to me I was like hmmmmm hmmmm ohhh lives you're talking about lives. Maybe people wouldn't "need" a tutorial if games just used established terminology.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 10, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

Deathloop didn't even use the word "lives" for fucks sake so when they explained reprises to me I was like hmmmmm hmmmm ohhh lives you're talking about lives. Maybe people wouldn't "need" a tutorial if you just used established terminology.

I hate when video games do this and then feature a bunch of pre-release hype material talking about their "unique reprisal feature which allows players to get revenge on tough enemies in an all new, never before seen way!"

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Duck and Cover posted:

Deathloop doesn't even use the word "lives" for fucks sake so when they explained reprises to me I was like hmmmmm hmmmm ohhh lives you're talking about lives. Maybe people wouldn't "need" a tutorial if games just used established terminology.

I'm sorry, "lives?" What are those? Like living another person's life, isn't that what most video games are about?

Or wait, do you mean the extra mans you get when you die?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The tutorial should start by asking you to walk over and pick something up without displaying any buttons at first, and if you use w and e without prompting, it skips the rest of the basic movement tutorial

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Remove all tutorials.
Replace with printed game manuals.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Just imagining if anything else we do for fun had a forced tutorial before you could participate

USE LEG to walk to BALL RETURN

EXTEND HAND to equip BOWLING BALL

"Alright Duke, looks like you have a ball. Now get ready, we're gonna take out those fuckin' pins. WALK FORWARD to the highlighted FOUL LINE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
The randomizer should randomly rebind keys.

Those who like roguelikes where there’s no item descriptions would LOVE that I bet.