Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

conceptual reference paradoxically benefits from attackin specific problems as examples. whack at examples or write a faq

faqs should be made from an actual histogram, on computer or in your head

Kumquat posted:

not sure how to develop this skill beyond "start writing bad docs until you write good docs".

I came here for shortcuts only. :colbert:

I guess Put In The Work was always the answer here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Are you producing a single document or a collection of documents on related topics? Those are two different tasks and the ideal approach isn't the same.

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Are you producing a single document or a collection of documents on related topics? Those are two different tasks and the ideal approach isn't the same.

Whatever is valuable and I can provide as a Writing Sample to a future employer.

My realistic use case outside of that would be:
We have a poorly documented and poorly understood process that runs on a schedule. It would be nice to have a document that outlined the steps from end to end including what artifacts are produced at each step and how to verify those artifacts exist/are valid and which error codes tend to correspond with which step for easier troubleshooting.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i thought these would be proprietary internal docs that lawyers would have your liver if you shared

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010
never meant to give that impression. my distinction vs open source was because it's less "how do I implement this library in my project" and more "I'm now responsible for troubleshooting this dogshit ETL process that falls over every two days please help me" and has more internal dependencies than touchpoints to the outside world.

My company isn't big/valuable/competent enough to care if I paste some docs about our overcomplicated process for downloading and storing Google Ads data and I'm confident I could anonymize it enough to avoid scrutiny.

Absolute worst case, I sharpen my skills at work and then use them to build good documentation for a side project for interviews.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
In either case, you'd be better off halfassing the internal docs and contributing deec docs to OSS if you really need the coherent portfolio that you can actually share, especially in a famous and often-used project that nevertheless has poo poo docs (ridiculously commonplace), because peeps would be familiar with famous OSS projects. unless you don't wanna do that kinda side thing, which is completely understandable

i feel like many technical peeps intuitions about how tetchy tech companies are about ip is wrong. sometimes but not always they can be very fuckin tetchy

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i feel like many technical peeps intuitions about how tetchy tech companies are about ip is wrong. sometimes but not always they can be very fuckin tetchy

And that's something where you'd really hate to be wrong.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

Happy US-EAST-1 meltdown day, everyone!

Why no, it's not on the status board yet. Because their own monitoring is impacted.

:toot:

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Today I learned that companies like to NDA their service status updates ex post facto, thus the proverbial liver again.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Kumquat posted:

Does anybody have recommendations on learning how to write good docs? Less for open source libraries, and more for internal corporate APIs/services. Trying to get some Technical Writing experience as resume fodder but not sure how to develop this skill beyond "start writing bad docs until you write good docs". I found writethedocs.org but was wondering if anyone had a resource they liked/pathway to competency that worked for them.

I recommend https://developers.google.com/tech-writing - it's brief and to the point. Much like documentation should be.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

How do you guys weigh offers with higher bonus and stock (stable stock price) components? How much of a premium do you put on a solid base vs. a higher TC?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

B-Nasty posted:

How do you guys weigh offers with higher bonus and stock (stable stock price) components? How much of a premium do you put on a solid base vs. a higher TC?

I treat equity as cash equivalent for public orgs because it's simpler than the other thing. And if I'm joining, I probably also have a belief in their continued success.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

B-Nasty posted:

Look at the trajectory for a public company. If it's not downward, then I weigh stock as equivalent to salary or slightly more. If you're willing to switch jobs then I'd lean on the slightly more side since other than the cliff your downside is limited because you can switch.

For a bonus, find out the history of payouts at the company and how it's calculated. I always weigh it slightly less since it isnt guaranteed but for a lot of public tech it's pretty close to it.

I would also say that in general you can probably get the higher TC offer to shift how they allocate salary and stock if that's needed to close the offer. You can even use the other offer as leverage. The main exception would be that a lot of companies have either explicit or effective salary caps.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

According to some quacks online we're due for a 20% market correction, if you want to buy a house with that money maybe consider valuing it at less than 100% face value, like 80%

If it's privately held the value is somewhere between 0% and 50%, erring heavily towards 0%, like, maybe 2% unless the CFO signed in blood that they're going IPO on such and such date in which case you can revise that up to 5%. Average startup goes public in 7 years now

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 8, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if peeps had a reliable way to predict the market they wouldnt fuckin talk about it they would trade on it and make the reliable way unreliable

thats the efficient market hypothesis in a nutshell. if you're talkin in realms and time spans that normal traders trade in, you can give the gently caress up on reliable prediction. so the exceptions are where and when peeps can't trade (completely illiquid poo poo, timespans of 50 years, etc etc)

the advent of behavioral economics, for example, also created a class of traders who trade on that poo poo and who are squeezing out its influence on the market

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 8, 2021

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Motronic posted:

Happy US-EAST-1 meltdown day, everyone!

Why no, it's not on the status board yet. Because their own monitoring is impacted.

How did they not have their own interface backed up? I thought that offsite backup and recovery was the whole pitch of the cloud?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LLSix posted:

How did they not have their own interface backed up? I thought that offsite backup and recovery was the whole pitch of the cloud?

No matter how many times US-EAST-1 melts down, AWS as well as people who have drank the cloud koolaid point to "but we're in multiple AZs, surely that's just as good as multiple public clouds/public regions! AZs are even in different buildings!" and then this happens. Again. Always something like a network issue or a deploy that has unintended consequences and takes down S3 so everything goes to poo poo for the day while people frantically try to bring up new instances.

Why does it keep happening? Because the level of complexity involved guarantees it. Why don't people do something else? Because it takes time and money to be multi-region, and adds with it it's own additional complexity that is likely to cause it's own issues that create downtime.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Got told my pre-employment checks cleared after they eventually just asked for redacted W2s. Putting in my 2 weeks today.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

🎉🍾🥂

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Nice, are you taking any time off between? I underestimated how nice a good chunk of time off would be when I switched recently and wish I'd taken more. I only took a week and wish I had taken a month. Not caring about the old job & not knowing enough to sweat the new job made time off extra relaxing.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I was originally going to, but I had an agreed upon start date when I accepted the offer. That date originally seemed like it would be sufficient to take a week or close to one off, but problems getting the background check started really cut into that. I currently have 1 day as my last day is the Thursday before Xmas. I could try to move it, but that feels pretty awkward now after having it sitting there for a while, so I think I'll just lie in the bed I made.

Edit: There are also some implications of moving my start date in regards to my vesting schedule which would push my RSU vesting back a full month.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 9, 2021

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Happy log4j 0 day to all the JVM devs out there!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/adgodev/status/1469374041618358276

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

luchadornado posted:

Thanks, went dependency hunting today, and we're good.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

luchadornado posted:

weeeeee

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
https://twitter.com/joehelle/status/1469658500150267904?s=20

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
hi olds, all the talk here about salaries and jumping got me antsy, but i just found i got promoted to senior (or lead!) developer. at first the title was manager but i straight up asked for a title change because gently caress that noise :unsmith:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

candy for breakfast posted:

hi olds, all the talk here about salaries and jumping got me antsy, but i just found i got promoted to senior (or lead!) developer. at first the title was manager but i straight up asked for a title change because gently caress that noise :unsmith:

Congratulations!

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Individual Contributor Posse.
Congratulations!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

cool post: https://andregarzia.com/2021/12/the-blog-is-the-program.html

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Is the lack of ADHD meds why I find hour-long sprint planning meetings and 30-minute stand-ups to be torture?

- what I did yesterday
- what I'm doing today
- I have no blockers
- anyone who wants to know more is free to contact you afterward

Why can't it be that simple

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 16, 2021

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
If your standups are 30 minutes you are absolutely doing something wrong. Either the group is too big or you have a bunch of Chatty Cathys. If it's the latter, when they start babbling someone needs to say, hey, take this offline.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

oliveoil posted:

Is the lack of ADHD meds why I find hour-long sprint planning meetings and 30-minute stand-ups to be torture?

- what I did yesterday
- what I'm doing today
- I have no blockers

In my experience stand-ups elongate when people start solving problems rather than announcing them. My team has a rule where if you have an issue or a blocker you say what it is and move on, and then if anyone is interested in discussing it in great length they can stay after.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Also you gotta keep people on-topic, I worked with one ADHD guy and every standup report was like reading a @foone thread, just a stream of consciousness that went everywhere.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

oliveoil posted:

- what I did yesterday
- what I'm doing today
- I have no blockers

If it is then I have undiagnosed ADHD. Also, you are very lucky to have 1 hour sprint planning meetings. I have sat in many 7 hour ones, and more than once in meetings that had to be resumed the next day.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Our sprint planning meetings are about 2.5 hours and include a 5 minute break about 45 min in, we cover two weeks worth of work across five or six people + do sprint retro then, and our fully remote stand-up is about 30 min as it includes a bit of socialization (15 min worth) since we don't talk to each other the rest of the day/week mostly

I find the standup part pretty boring but unless you're just a ticket grinding monkey, it's good to hear about what's going on in the company on the ground so it's sort of a necessary evil

If someone is rambling in stand-up just speak up and say "can we move this discussion to parking lot after?" and then roast your manager later for letting that happen since that's their job to prevent that

Edit: in sprint retro, complain loudly about stand-up taking too long, that's one of the main functions of sprint retro; stop dragging out stand-up, start moving discussions to parking lot

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 17, 2021

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Hadlock posted:

"can we move this discussion to parking lot after?"

I know what this term means, but I've always wondered how many people have heard this and thought they were being challenged to a fight out back

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sometimes their opinions are bad and it is

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

30m stand-ups feel like torture because they absolutely are.

If your update is more than 30s take it elsewhere (so I don't have to be bored by it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I had my team's stand-ups scheduled to 30 minutes by tried to keep them under 10 in actuality with the occasional breakout of people afterward if needed.